Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:35:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spreading bitcoin to the masses  (Read 4951 times)
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 10:25:06 AM
Last edit: May 19, 2011, 10:36:23 AM by SunAvatar

All right, here's something I mocked up over a couple of hours.

(The full size files look somewhat better than these.)

I think the copy on the reverse could use some work---it's hard to cram much information onto a business card. As it is, the typeface is already pretty small. Maybe we should go with something bigger? Or maybe I should aim for intriguing rather than informative?

Also, the redemption URL is blocked out because I haven't got one yet.  Smiley

Ubitex, how does the "banner ad" look? I think it could be improved, and I'm happy to work with you on that. I'll print 1000 cards with your ad for 25 BTC, or 200 for 10 BTC. (The "extra" will cover the cost of shipping and my time.) The same offer goes out to anyone else who wants to sponsor some cards.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 10:31:41 AM

You should add "don't join Deepbit" at the end...

Ian Maxwell

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 10:35:09 AM

For 0.025/card I will include any text that is legal to hand out in public in the United States, including "Don't join Deepbit."

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 10:45:22 AM

Also, the redemption URL is blocked out because I haven't got one yet.  Smiley

SunAvatar, I will donate 'bitcoinvoucher.com' to the cause if you build a website and tell me the name servers.

*I'll personally guarantee to keep the domain pointed there for at least 6 months, and will give plenty of notice if there is to be any change.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 02:30:09 PM

I'd suggest removing/replacing the "it is anonymous" claim.
Anonymity and bitcoin is...complicated.  I'd suggest:

"It is like cash" -- no one can steal your identity

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:40:42 PM

I'd suggest removing/replacing the "it is anonymous" claim.

And the 'no one can track your purchases' claim, actually.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 03:15:57 PM

Throwing this idea out there:  If you're giving out Bitcoins to get people excited and curious, perhaps don't tell them exactly how many Bitcoins they've "won." Instead, the card should say "find out how many you've won by visiting xxxxxxxxxx.com" or something similar.  This curiosity element may yield better response rates. A truly scientific group would take two cities and distribute fixed amounts in one city and unknown amounts in the other city, then track response rates and adapt the program accordingly.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 03:25:37 PM

Colors around the edges are a pain if you plan on printing these yourself.
InstantBTC (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 04:14:37 PM

For 0.025/card I will include any text that is legal to hand out in public in the United States, including "Don't join Deepbit."

Since you are making the cards I can't really stop you but the point of this project isn't to make money its to spread bitcoins, to the public. I'm going to be spending a fair bit of my time passing these cards out and driving the 45 minutes into downtown LA (using my own gas money) and you want to take personal gain for adding extra text, something that costs you nothing at all? If I'm missing something here please tell me. If people want to sponsor a card with a appropriate term than I think that's a good idea too, but not for your personal gain, I think I can look into other resources for production of the card if that's the case.

EDIT: or actually it'd be easier if I just let you take full control of the project and do it however you wish. Feel free to create your own thread and let this thread fall down.

Ian Maxwell

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 05:35:39 PM

@InstantBTC: What personal gain? I'm performing the service of printing and assembling these cards, and cuddlefish offered to pay for ad space to defray the cost.. I asked 0.025 because that's the point at which I'm sure my cash costs are covered, so that all I have to worry about are my time costs. It will allow me to send the cards at face value to people who want to give them out. Should I pay for the privilege of assembling these cards for other people?

If I were doing this strictly for profit, I'd have to surcharge at least 0.05/card to make it worth my while. By that standard I am expecting to donate at least 100 BTC worth of labor to this project, and possibly much more. If I get a high enough volume of orders, I will probably have to pay out of pocket for high speed production. I'm actually considering backing out as I think about this, and getting complaints that I'm daring to take money for it isn't making me feel much better.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
InstantBTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 06:11:33 PM

@InstantBTC: What personal gain? I'm performing the service of printing and assembling these cards, and cuddlefish offered to pay for ad space to defray the cost.. I asked 0.025 because that's the point at which I'm sure my cash costs are covered, so that all I have to worry about are my time costs. It will allow me to send the cards at face value to people who want to give them out. Should I pay for the privilege of assembling these cards for other people?

If I were doing this strictly for profit, I'd have to surcharge at least 0.05/card to make it worth my while. By that standard I am expecting to donate at least 100 BTC worth of labor to this project, and possibly much more. If I get a high enough volume of orders, I will probably have to pay out of pocket for high speed production. I'm actually considering backing out as I think about this, and getting complaints that I'm daring to take money for it isn't making me feel much better.

Why wouldn't you just have the business/individual pay for the card that they want their text on instead of relying only on donations

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 06:30:40 PM

@instantBTC

It doesn't matter if he's making a profit off of this project or he isn't.  The only thing that matters is, can he get good quality printing done for less than you can?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
InstantBTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 06:43:02 PM

@instantBTC

It doesn't matter if he's making a profit off of this project or he isn't.  The only thing that matters is, can he get good quality printing done for less than you can?

I'm sure he can make them cheaper since I would have to have a friend design and then go to kinkos or something to print them. But what I'm saying is that then I would say that I want to be compensated for gas and my time, but I don't want to do that, I would rather have that be a part of my contribution. And if I got payd for gas and my time, so would the people in chicago and new york, and that will add a fair bit of cost to the project. That is my thinking on the matter.

Ian Maxwell

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 07:16:51 PM

Colors around the edges are a pain if you plan on printing these yourself.
They shouldn't be so bad with perforated sheets of business cards. But I still have to actually print these to make sure they're legible at business card size. If not, production cost will probably be a bit higher.

Truthfully, I don't have any special ability to do cheap printing---I'm planning on doing plain old overpriced home printing. Is there anyone here involved with an actual print shop who could get this done on the cheap?

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
cuddlefish

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 07:47:31 PM

(images stripped)

Ubitex, how does the "banner ad" look? I think it could be improved, and I'm happy to work with you on that. I'll print 1000 cards with your ad for 25 BTC, or 200 for 10 BTC. (The "extra" will cover the cost of shipping and my time.) The same offer goes out to anyone else who wants to sponsor some cards.

It looks great, except for one thing: "want" instead of "need". Sounds less pushy.
Ian Maxwell

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 08:22:20 PM

Okay, so now I'm looking at third-party printers, because depending on how many of these we want it really won't be cost effective to do it from home.

How many of these do we want? Speaking for myself, if I spent a few hours in downtown Boston I can imagine handing out 500-1,000 of these things---and Boston is smallish as big cities go. With even a few distributors we could easily find ourselves needing 10,000 cards or more (probably in small denominations like 0.01).

It looks like, for orders over 5,000 cards, these guys will be at least as cheap as home printing, even for two-sided full color as in the mockup. I'm planning to send in a quote request, but first I want to see just how much interest there is. If you're planning to participate, could you post here or PM me with how many cards you'd want, in what denominations?

I wonder if we can still pay for this with advertising. I'll have to ask about minor variations in design when I send in the quote request. Meanwhile, as above, if you're interested in paying the printing cost for some cards, in exchange for ad space, let me know either here or via PM.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: