Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:30:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMiner BE300S Samples Arrived, <0.2W/G Achieved at Board Level  (Read 66387 times)
DigitalPackrat

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 09:45:23 AM

Coming up on 24 hours since I sent a email to AM and just like the other countless times I have sent them emails there has been no reply.

For all of you praising AM, this is the third time compensation has been promised. The deal looks great and they have managed to make many of you think they are a great company standing behind their products and taking care of their customers but there is no follow through. Just a bunch of empty promises.

"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
richardamullens

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 10:59:24 AM

look into, i think Delta's, laptop/desktop external PSUs, they hit the 87-90% but they are a higher voltage DC.
There is also nothing wrong with using a PCIe power adaptor off a desktop internal PSU

Perhaps domestic drivers for LEDs would be a good choice - if they produce 12V and don't try to drive a constant current.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2014, 01:09:40 PM

Coming up on 24 hours since I sent a email to AM and just like the other countless times I have sent them emails there has been no reply.

For all of you praising AM, this is the third time compensation has been promised. The deal looks great and they have managed to make many of you think they are a great company standing behind their products and taking care of their customers but there is no follow through. Just a bunch of empty promises.

Do you exactly expect them to file and respond to 1000 emails in a day? Its just PB being bombarded with emails, give him a chance to work through them. I received a response late last night.

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 01:41:48 PM

Yep, good data (especially on the function of the PMIC) would be pretty nice, at least to get a rough idea of feasibility.
The PMS01 IC provides all the functionalities needed except the mosfet for chaining the chip into a string.

For the one-chip board, we still choose to use it instead of a bunch of buffers and LDOs for board simplicity.

So, all the level shifting IO lines and clocking and such? Handy. I'll have to take a closer look at a Prisma board to see exactly what the FET would be doing (I have ideas). I am looking forward to the release of documentation.

Adding the core voltages to the GH/W table would still be quite nice. That would help people get a jump on figuring out designs for these chips.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 10:38:08 PM

So, how chained chips board performs?

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 848
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 10:21:15 AM

So, all the level shifting IO lines and clocking and such? Handy. I'll have to take a closer look at a Prisma board to see exactly what the FET would be doing (I have ideas). I am looking forward to the release of documentation.
Yes. The LDO output for IO and PLL are included as well.

The FETs help balance the voltage. For BE300 we may not include them, but we need experiment to see if it's true.

friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 10:21:30 AM

So, how chained chips board performs?
No data yet. But soon.

friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 10:43:24 AM
Last edit: December 13, 2014, 11:04:18 AM by friedcat

look into, i think Delta's, laptop/desktop external PSUs, they hit the 87-90% but they are a higher voltage DC.
There is also nothing wrong with using a PCIe power adaptor off a desktop internal PSU

Perhaps domestic drivers for LEDs would be a good choice - if they produce 12V and don't try to drive a constant current.
Will do the study. Very interesting.

12V is also not a must. We only need to adjust the chain length.

All mining devices try to draw constant current anyway, so if they try to drive constant current it's also OK.

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 01:43:46 PM

Yes. The LDO output for IO and PLL are included as well.

The FETs help balance the voltage. For BE300 we may not include them, but we need experiment to see if it's true.

That's what I figured, the FET would act as a dummy load shunting extra current when the chips were underloaded in order to keep the string powered properly. Still like to see a hashrate/voltage chart or formula.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 04:31:44 PM

All mining devices try to draw constant current anyway, so if they try to drive constant current it's also OK.

Ignore those things, they have exposed terminals and are NOT user friendly. I don't know why they're being discussed for an introductory consumer device.

klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 06:15:08 PM

perhaps looking into 48V power supplies wouldnt be a bad idea? Effectively driving 4x12V chains in series. I imagine the lower currents in the PSU and lower change in voltage may give good efficiency and perhaps lower cost.

for smaller miners though, 12V pcie connection is best. hobby mining isnt really meant for anything under 300W anyways, and there are some good, cheap 450W power supplies available in most countries

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 01:36:09 AM

perhaps looking into 48V power supplies wouldnt be a bad idea? Effectively driving 4x12V chains in series. I imagine the lower currents in the PSU and lower change in voltage may give good efficiency and perhaps lower cost.

There's no point chasing marginal savings if we're going to pay out of our asses for power infrastructure that doesn't exist. That is, in regards to scale, maturity, availability and cost.

richardamullens

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 02:02:59 AM

Ignore those things, they have exposed terminals and are NOT user friendly. I don't know why they're being discussed for an introductory consumer device.

Exposed terminals - shock horror - and why the shouting ?

You should lie low after having recommended duff 12V supplies.  We're talking reliability here.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 04:50:49 AM

You should lie low after having recommended duff 12V supplies.  We're talking reliability here.

1) Yes, exposed terminals on a beginner's device is not a good idea - that should be obvious.
2) What do you mean shouting?
3) What 'duff' 12V supplies? You mean the ones on Amazon, that sell 100s a month and have a 4+ star rating?

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 05:03:25 AM

You should lie low after having recommended duff 12V supplies.  We're talking reliability here.

1) Yes, exposed terminals on a beginner's device is not a good idea - that should be obvious.
3) What 'duff' 12V supplies? You mean the ones on Amazon, that sell 100s a month and have a 4+ star rating?

I agree on exposed terminals - bad idea for beginners. I really like the Rock Miner 100GH unit, but it needing a computer PSU sort of makes it border line beginner friendly in my opinion. If AM could make something that uses a power brick and had a built in controller similar in size to the RM device...that would be the perfect unit for newbies! Or make it USB based to keep prices down, and have a simple GUI for cgminer/bfgminer included on a disc.

Edit: Hate to say this, but something like that software BFL used
hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 05:24:31 AM

There would be no need to create a GUI if the driver support was provided to CKolivas and merged with mainbranch CGMiner instead of creating another fork that gets abandoned 3 months later too never be updated again like what Rockxie has done over at Rockminer.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 05:35:31 AM

There would be no need to create a GUI if the driver support was provided to CKolivas and merged with mainbranch CGMiner instead of creating another fork that gets abandoned 3 months later too never be updated again like what Rockxie has done over at Rockminer.

Well for new people to mining having to use cgminer could be a little confusing. I am not saying fork anything just have a front end for it that is simple.
richardamullens

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 05:55:55 AM

You should lie low after having recommended duff 12V supplies.  We're talking reliability here.

1)You are the first person to have suggested that this is a beginners device in this thread - One other person used the term introductory.
2)Shouting - the use of capital letters.
3)Yes the ones on Amazon that you get commission on that people said failed after a short time.

You have made a number of loud negative remarks in this thread showing a lack of respect for other people's opinions.
This time you use bold type to emphasise your opinions.
The discussion in this thread has been about obtaining samples, making boards, FETs, power supply efficiency.
You are out of order Dogie

Let's keep this to talk about engineering and assuming a level of competence.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 05:56:40 AM

Well for new people to mining having to use cgminer could be a little confusing. I am not saying fork anything just have a front end for it that is simple.

Yes, I agree. I miss the days of even GUIMiner.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 06:06:22 AM

I haven't tried them, but there are a number of GUIs available for BFGMiner (yes, including BFL's EasyMiner - which should work for any supported device).

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: