Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:23:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mtgox Euro bank problems  (Read 3220 times)
Grouver (BtcBalance) (OP)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 06:23:40 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 09:23:05 AM by Grouver (BtcBalance)

Hello,

18 June 2012 I transfered 100 euros to my Mtgox EUR account.
Today I got a letter from my bank wich said that I recently made a transaction of 100 euros to a foreign Polish bank account which has been blocked. The made payment to the blocked account will be transferred back to my account in a short period of time.

Here is the proof:  (in dutch though)

https://i.imgur.com/y4aoI.jpg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 06:48:42 PM

I had the same issue back in November and December, they actually blocked my account and I had to reactivate my TAN function. Just a heads up: Intersango uses the same bank account, and is also blocked by the Dutch ING.

They still piss me off, tbh. The German branch of ING only gives the user a call to ask if they're sure, but doesn't meddle any further.

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 06:50:55 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2012, 07:01:25 PM by Grouver (BtcBalance)

Just a heads up: Intersango uses the same bank account, and is also blocked by the Dutch ING.
Funny how I already made tons of tranasctions to intersango and never had a single problem.
Now my first time to mtgoxEUR and all goes wrong.

EDIT: Called with the ING bank. They said my bank account isn't blocked but the tranaction IS rolled back since the Polish account IS blocked.
I need to call the bank tommorow since the department that has all the info (about why the tranasction was rolled back) doesn't work at the evening.
Will keep you guys posted. Smiley

BTCurious

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 06:58:23 PM

Just a heads up: Intersango uses the same bank account, and is also blocked by the Dutch ING.
Funny how I already made tons of tranasctions to intersango and never had a single problem.
Now my first time to mtgoxEUR and all goes wrong.

That was back in November... Maybe intersango switched banks? Not sure.

DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 07:41:14 PM

Are you sure Intersango use the same polish bank account as MtGox? I transfered euros to Intersango yesterday, and they arrived today.
BTCurious

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 08:09:17 PM

Intersango also uses Bank Zachodni WBK, BIC WBKPPLPP.

I have had the same issues with the ING. Stopped me buying more Bitcoins when they were 30% cheaper ($4.50) plus I couldn't use internet banking for a week twice. I retried the transfer as those people insisted I had a virus. I was pretty pissed off and asked the second guy for his education and told him mine and magically got referred to someone who could tell me a little more. Basically ING refused to do business with them and that was it.

Fucking bank. Not doing business is fine, but lying and saying it is because of a virus is fraud and people should go to jail imho.
^This. They also claimed I had a virus/rootkit. The first time I was sceptical but hey, who knows. I ran every tool I deemed useful, but found nothing. It didn't make any sense anyway, because the moment it was blocked was as soon as I hit the final button for the transfer, not as soon as I logged in or anything.

Anyway, when I got that resolved, I wanted to use intersango instead, and got the same bloody thing! I talked to this guy on the phone, and his argument was that even those tools "can't guarantee there is no rootkit." Oh, and your bloody system can bloody do it from bloody halfway across the country!? Idiots.

I never managed to get transferred to someone with a smidgen of intelligence Sad

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 08:11:58 PM

The distance is not the problem the speed is. In 1 second it decided I have a virus? Even if they could I would sue them for criminally breaking into my system. I told the first guy I phoned he was a fucking idiot, but phrased it nicely. It's a bit like talking to a four-year-old.

Oh well, he likely even believed his own mumblings, people in call centers aren't the worlds brightest  Lips sealed
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 09:33:31 PM

Its actually understandable. If some hacker compromised your system, sending money via homebanking from your bank account to MtGox and convert the stolen funds to btc is the smart thing to do. Frustrating as it may be to someone who actually wants to send money to gox from a clean system, I suspect this measure has prevented more fraud than it annoyed actual gox customers.

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 09:57:15 PM

Its actually understandable. If some hacker compromised your system, sending money via homebanking from your bank account to MtGox and convert the stolen funds to btc is the smart thing to do. Frustrating as it may be to someone who actually wants to send money to gox from a clean system, I suspect this measure has prevented more fraud than it annoyed actual gox customers.

So let me write down and see if I understand your statement right.
Cause thiefs comprise computers and convert the money of its victim to bitcoin, banks are preventing transactions to bitcoin exchanges cause of this reason?

Not sure about you, but if more banks are gonna do this, alot of Mtgox customers and not only Mtgox customers will be annoyed since they will simply not get there money into any exchange easy as nowadays.
I also don't think banks did blocked Mtgox EUR for this particularly reason you stated. But we will hear when I make the call tomorrow.

P4man

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 10:26:13 PM

So let me write down and see if I understand your statement right.
Cause thiefs comprise computers and convert the money of its victim to bitcoin, banks are preventing transactions to bitcoin exchanges cause of this reason?

Not sure about you, but if more banks are gonna do this, alot of Mtgox customers and not only Mtgox customers will be annoyed since they will simply not get there money into any exchange easy as nowadays.
I also don't think banks did blocked Mtgox EUR for this particularly reason you stated. But we will hear when I make the call tomorrow.

Its the same reason just about any antivirus will flag cgminer as malware.  It isnt malware if you knowingly installed it, but for most users, it will indeed be (part of) malware.

Now the bank should make it easy to let you do the transfer anyway, after checking with you that you knowingly transferred it to mtgox, but that they flag the transaction as suspicious and even block it, I can totally understand. Banks are liable for losses due to fraud, its in their interest and actually in the interest of 99.99% of its customers who dont trade on mtgox.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 10:44:31 PM

You might want to let your bank know that there is a less disruptive step they could take than feezing accounts.  Ask them if they know of Yubico's Yubikey.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

P4man

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 10:48:37 PM

ING uses a card reader, which requires the reader, your ATM card and code. I dont think yubikey is any more secure than that. But that doesnt prevent hackers from letting you sign your transactions with the card reader (or yubikey). You are just signing a different transaction than you thought.

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 11:13:27 PM

Then call me and ask.

Also, they wouldn't allow me to transfer even after a phone call. Isn't it MY money?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 11:18:51 PM

You guys should all be happy about this.  Crap like this happening is exactly why Bitcoin is made useful.
BTCurious

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 11:46:59 PM

You guys should all be happy about this.  Crap like this happening is exactly why Bitcoin is made useful.
"But not to me!"

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 08:05:25 AM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 08:33:40 AM by Grouver (BtcBalance)

Made the call.
ING is blocking all suspicious forgein transactions cause of all the skimming that is happening the last couple of years.
So, Mtgox doesn't have any problem with there bank. Only other banks have problems with shady polish bank accounts.
Though, if you confirm that the transactions is valid via phone, it's okay.

So it's not already there blocking transactions cause of Bitcoin.
Will happen soon though.   Undecided

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 08:15:01 AM

Though, if you confirm that the transactions is valid, it's okay.

They would not allow this for me.
BTCurious

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 08:22:28 AM

Indeed. The German ING Diba solves it that way, they call their user, and he verifies that he wanted to send, and then they get out of the way.

Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 08:47:04 AM

Yes, bank account DO get blocked when they receive fradulent transactions.

There are several methods by which unscrupulous individuals can initiate fradulent transactions and cause problems for an exchange or a fixed rate exhanger.

I think one of the dumbest things an exchange can do is to just open a single account, and then let all funds flow in through this account. There should be several bank accounts for one exchange, and there needs to be done measures to try to fight the fraud, some sorts of fraud is very hard to fight, and once the bank sees that fraudulent transactions is entering a particular account, they're often very quick to just close that account. As far as the bank sees it, this is a troublesome account, and they want to get rid of the problem.

When an exchange opens a bank account, by default, it has to be expected it will be closed down at some point, unless there are talks with the bank and the bank understand the kind of business the exchange do and is willing to work with it, also when problems occur, because problems WILL occur.

Banks can always reverse a transfer, but bitcoin transactions cannot be reversed, so it's always the exchange or the fixed rate exchanger that gets shafted.
BTCurious

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 09:20:27 AM

SEPA debit transactions cannot be reversed either. And yes, exchanges do talk to banks, and switch banks when those talks amount to nothing.
The current issues seem to be only with the Dutch ING branch though.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: