Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:40:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and Craigslist  (Read 9339 times)
skottiejay

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 06:34:43 AM

I haven't seen anyone in my area (well both areas that I reside in) post anything involving bitcoin, however lately I've been getting phone calls from someone who either knows me from here, or elsewhere about a coin he's starting. I don't know if it was something someone posted on craigslist or some kind of activity trail leading to me. It's kind of scary they even got my phone number in the first place.

Anyways, I doubt this backwards town that I live in would even know what BTCitcoin even was let alone know how to trade for goods and services or whatever. Maybe back home but not here.

What else could I say?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 06:42:29 AM

I made one posting and I got a buyer for 100BTC in 24 hours.

Nice to get actual cash for bitcoin.

For real? I know that you are smooth trader. I've lurked and learned. Seriously though; you got a buyer on craigslist for 100BTC? Recently? Someone handed you $60someoddthousand for 100BTC off craigslist? I follow most of what you post and would like to know more about this.
I would say that this kind of post (on Craigslist) should be approached with extreme caution. You should really never deal in that large of amounts with a stranger.

yeah that sounds spotty.. i don't want to give that info out to strangers, could get robbed/kidnapped. it's like putting a target on your back.
skottiejay

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 06:46:13 AM

Yeah I noticed that a lot on localbitcoins (just now I looked and people in my area DO deal with them, surprise!) that people are really looking out for themselves, wanting to meet in lighted areas in the day etc just so they don't get robbed or whatever out of their bitcoin. It's some serious business it seems.

What else could I say?
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 07:27:38 AM

For real? I know that you are smooth trader. I've lurked and learned. Seriously though; you got a buyer on craigslist for 100BTC? Recently? Someone handed you $60someoddthousand for 100BTC off craigslist? I follow most of what you post and would like to know more about this.

Did you bother to look at the date? 100btc back then was not nearly as much as 100 btc today. This thread was just necroed.

neverminer77

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 12:01:41 PM

Haha. Even hooker on Craigslist Bangkok now accepting Bitcoin http://imgur.com/7zJ4RsH
2good2betrue

Activity: 26

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 12:42:32 PM

Haha. Even hooker on Craigslist Bangkok now accepting Bitcoin http://imgur.com/7zJ4RsH

Now I know this is the currency of the future.  Wink
BrianCain

Activity: 1

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 01:58:35 PM

BitCoin is still a pretty new idea for most of the general public. It might be a good idea to provide resources / information for people, so they can learn more about it!

I would recommend providing links to CNBC and CBS and other reputable sources.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:41:37 PM

I would say that this kind of post (on Craigslist) should be approached with extreme caution. You should really never deal in that large of amounts with a stranger.

yeah that sounds spotty.. i don't want to give that info out to strangers, could get robbed/kidnapped. it's like putting a target on your back.
Craigslist is really designed for smaller trades (I would say less then $1,000) anything above that would probably be too dangerous to be dealing with someone you don't know.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 04:50:11 PM

Craigslist is really designed for smaller trades (I would say less then $1,000) anything above that would probably be too dangerous to be dealing with someone you don't know.

Oh, no.

I sell cars on CL all the time.

Once sold a Rolls-Royce on CL for over USD $20K with no problems.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 05:06:00 PM

I have used craigslist to sell furniture, electronics, and cars. I have sold two cars in under an hour. The amount of people buying from there is crazy! I would think that it would work well for local BTC meetups
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 05:28:31 PM

Oh, no.

I sell cars on CL all the time.

Once sold a Rolls-Royce on CL for over USD $20K with no problems.
Cars might be the exception to this rule as there are generally paper trails for both the buyer and seller if something were to go wrong, and if the buyer's check bounced for example then you could simply report the car as being stolen (as it would be).

For things like jewelry, sports tickets, or other valuables it would be much more risky as these types of things are much harder to trace. 
Dacm4n

Activity: 363

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 05:30:51 PM

I have bad luck with craigslist, I always get a the people who never show up for anything and I end up wasting a day waiting for them.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 05:55:51 PM

I have bad luck with craigslist, I always get a the people who never show up for anything and I end up wasting a day waiting for them.

I work by appointment only.

No show, no call, no deal.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
sugarfree

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 05:59:34 PM

Now I know this is the currency of the future.  Wink

Imagine the uncomfortable silence waiting for the transaction to be confirmed. Grin
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 06:03:15 PM

I've had some pretty bad experiences of Craiglist like this too. There are no obligations to complete the transactions, so there are too many douchebags that abuse this. If they don't show up, what you can do is contact them again for 50%, their eyes will light up. Plan to meet up in a public place, once they show up and wonder where you are, ignore it  Cheesy

Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 06:19:58 PM

I've had some pretty bad experiences of Craiglist like this too. There are no obligations to complete the transactions, so there are too many douchebags that abuse this. If they don't show up, what you can do is contact them again for 50%, their eyes will light up. Plan to meet up in a public place, once they show up and wonder where you are, ignore it  Cheesy
You could probably prevent things like this from happening by confirming before you leave to meet them that they still plan on meeting and that they agree that your previously agreed upon price is fair. If they respond and agree with you then you will cut down on these kinds of problems.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
skottiejay

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 06:48:08 PM

Craigslist really is a roll the dice, i've sold computers cars etc on there and you really have to be careful. I guess you have to be attuned to how the person is acting about the trade. I personally would never sell bitcoin on craigslist

What else could I say?
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 07:46:44 PM

Craigslist really is a roll the dice, i've sold computers cars etc on there and you really have to be careful. I guess you have to be attuned to how the person is acting about the trade. I personally would never sell bitcoin on craigslist
I think selling bitcoin on craigslist would be a great way to get more people to use and adopt bitcoin.

What I would be afraid of is selling large amounts (like thousands of dollars worth) as there would be a greater incentive for the buyer to try to rob me.
pirsquared

Activity: 109

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 08:45:15 PM

If you have read anything smoothie post; you know that he is savvy. (Craigslist + Bitcoin) - Escrow = High risk. I'm really curious as to how one goes about this. I do not doubt that what smoothie says is true, but it takes balls of steel to do this on craigslist. I stopped selling on localbitcoins due to people getting arrested on trumped up charges. I'm looking to move away from exchanges and the like, and am very interested in the process used to do this safely and securely. Enlighten us smoothie.

If you HODL store it CODL!
pirsquared

Activity: 109

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 08:46:22 PM

The spam one gets from craigslist is enough of a deterrent for me to stay away unless I'm having or looking for a fire sale.

If you HODL store it CODL!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: