Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:11:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: iOS Bread Wallet  (Read 30978 times)
wannesd

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 08:55:01 PM

The only thing that bothers me about breadwallet, is that I can't select to see the value in BTC, rather than bits.
Unless I've missed the option somewhere?
It actually bothers me so much that I keep going back to my old blockchain app instead, and that's the only reason.

We know this is annoying for long time bitcoiners, no body likes change, but we think it's important for the community to switch together to the new standard. Our goal is to increase bitcoin adoption among the 99.99% of people who haven't adopted it yet, and they're much more comfortable with two decimal place denominations. If the existing bitcoiners don't switch, they'll confuse newcomers and hurt adoption. Bits will also work forever even after bitcoin replaces every currency on the planet.

I get your point, I really do.
But wouldn't setting the default to bits, and giving users a choice to change that, accomplish the same thing?
Newbie users would see no reason to change the default settings, and more experienced users can choose what they want, be it bits, btc, mbtc or satoshi...

I realize it probably doesn't hold much weight when I say that, for me atleast, this is a dealbreaker. But that is the case, and I never use my breadwallet anymore, solely because of this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RainMan28

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:36:57 AM

The only thing that bothers me about breadwallet, is that I can't select to see the value in BTC, rather than bits.
Unless I've missed the option somewhere?
It actually bothers me so much that I keep going back to my old blockchain app instead, and that's the only reason.

We know this is annoying for long time bitcoiners, no body likes change, but we think it's important for the community to switch together to the new standard. Our goal is to increase bitcoin adoption among the 99.99% of people who haven't adopted it yet, and they're much more comfortable with two decimal place denominations. If the existing bitcoiners don't switch, they'll confuse newcomers and hurt adoption. Bits will also work forever even after bitcoin replaces every currency on the planet.

I get your point, I really do.
But wouldn't setting the default to bits, and giving users a choice to change that, accomplish the same thing?
Newbie users would see no reason to change the default settings, and more experienced users can choose what they want, be it bits, btc, mbtc or satoshi...

I realize it probably doesn't hold much weight when I say that, for me atleast, this is a dealbreaker. But that is the case, and I never use my breadwallet anymore, solely because of this.

100% agreed. Just searched to see if there was some way to switch from bits to BTC units. Why not give users a choice? An app that pushes its own beliefs is fine, as long as it only makes it the default but still provides choice to those who disagree. I otherwise love the app, but just don't feel comfortable using it if there is no option to have the value in BTC.

BTC: 18BEi5vPrPPYETiQt5eG9Sjjyt9DHorfYq
voisine

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:48:01 AM

100% agreed. Just searched to see if there was some way to switch from bits to BTC units. Why not give users a choice? An app that pushes its own beliefs is fine, as long as it only makes it the default but still provides choice to those who disagree. I otherwise love the app, but just don't feel comfortable using it if there is no option to have the value in BTC.

In this particular instance it's better to have a single standard. It's important for the community to move together to bits. People who don't switch hold back adoption. That combined with the fact that adding more configurable options makes the app more confusing is why we haven't done it. The reason BTC is more comfortable is because most others are using it still, so to break that momentum means doing something that's initially less comfortable. People need encouragement, so that's what we're providing by making an app that people love, but requires switching to bits. It's a short term inconvenience for a greater long term benefit.
msx

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 02:59:41 PM

It's important for the community to move together to bits.

When bitcoin drops below $10, will the community have to move together to kilobits then?
errornone

Activity: 98

error

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 12:40:21 PM

In this particular instance it's better to have a single standard. It's important for the community to move together to bits. People who don't switch hold back adoption. That combined with the fact that adding more configurable options makes the app more confusing is why we haven't done it. The reason BTC is more comfortable is because most others are using it still, so to break that momentum means doing something that's initially less comfortable. People need encouragement, so that's what we're providing by making an app that people love, but requires switching to bits. It's a short term inconvenience for a greater long term benefit.

I totally agree with this decision. It is stupid 'talking' and trading in BTC! Bits is so much more logic and easier to understand; and future-proof.

I totally love this app, i am a huge fan.

Things i would like to see implemented in the app:

-iPhone6 and 6+ support
-Multi-sig addresses support

Thanks for the awesome work voisine.

error
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 06:30:29 PM

I totally agree with this decision. It is stupid 'talking' and trading in BTC! Bits is so much more logic and easier to understand; and future-proof.

-iPhone6 and 6+ support

Although I am not a big fan of Bits, and took quite a bit to get used to them, I understand why they're important in adoption. Much more comfortable saying something like 1000 Bits than something like 0.001 BTC.

iPhone 6 not supported? How come, does the app appear smaller or something? I'm still on a 5, so not sure. As for multisig, that falls in what voisine has been saying: he wants to keep the app simple. I don't see that being implemented.

To finish my post, I think it would be better to focus our discussions on the main topic. There's no need to have two topics with different discussions about the same thing Smiley
Jake-R

Activity: 142

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 06:39:10 PM

-iPhone6 and 6+ support

Although I am not a big fan of Bits, and took quite a bit to get used to them, I understand why they're important in adoption. Much more comfortable saying something like 1000 Bits than something like 0.001 BTC.

iPhone 6 not supported? How come, does the app appear smaller or something? I'm still on a 5, so not sure. As for multisig, that falls in what voisine has been saying: he wants to keep the app simple. I don't see that being implemented.

To finish my post, I think it would be better to focus our discussions on the main topic. There's no need to have two topics with different discussions about the same thing Smiley

I have it running on my iPhone 6 Plus. You can tell the resolution is sized for a smaller screen and is scaled up (makes it a lot easier to read imho). I am not a fan of Bits either, but it will be the best hope for widespread adoption.
errornone

Activity: 98

error

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 09:28:20 PM

-iPhone6 and 6+ support

Yes, in iphone6 and 6+ the app is zoomed/stretched.

But voisine would implement multi-sig in a way (revolutionary way) that becomes easier and friendly to most users. This app is like that, revolutionary.
Multi-sig is the safest way to store bitcoins.

error
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 04:28:48 PM

Oh, right, it's scaled up Smiley Anyways, I bet its in the works iPhone 6 support... If I'm not mistaken, Apple has many tools that make it easy to scale up apps.

-iPhone6 and 6+ support

Yes, in iphone6 and 6+ the app is zoomed/stretched.

But voisine would implement multi-sig in a way (revolutionary way) that becomes easier and friendly to most users. This app is like that, revolutionary.
Multi-sig is the safest way to store bitcoins.

Oh well... Who knows? We have a very skilled dev Smiley
nikrox

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 11:54:05 AM

Is there any way to get the private key on breadwallet and import it into Bitcoin-qt
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 12:09:57 PM

Is there any way to get the private key on breadwallet and import it into Bitcoin-qt

No. It's not a goal of the dev to have a mobile client that can do such.

If you really need the private key you have to import your breadwallet seed on MultiBit HD and then dump the key. Keep in mind that after importing the seed elsewhere you should consider it compromised and create a new one on breadwallet. Don't forget to send your funds elsewhere before creating a new seed.

Also, there's an official topic for breadwallet, you'd probably want to go there if you want an answer from the dev, he's probably paying attention to that thread mostly Smiley
abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 02:01:27 PM
Last edit: September 06, 2015, 02:31:52 PM by abercrombie

Downloaded Bread Wallet, and I like it because if my phone gets lost and the App gets removed from the App store, at least I can use the web version of Hive to get into my Bitcoins.  Also like how it gives the option to automatically subtract miner fees if unloading the entire balance.

What I don't like is the bits.  In terms of practical application from Exchange trading to purchasing online, nobody uses Bits. 
tmltd

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 02:09:54 PM

What I don't like is the bits.  In terms of practical application from Exchange trading to purchasing online, nobody uses Bits.  
In the beginning it was a little bit confusing to me also but after some wallet usage i get used of it and now it is not confusing to me anymore.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ Cloudmining 101: how to avoid scams / ponzis  ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁
####### Never ever invest more than you can afford to lose #######
Old Man Mike

Activity: 1

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 07:08:11 AM

Downloaded Bread Wallet, and I like it because if my phone gets lost and the App gets removed from the App store, at least I can use the web version of Hive to get into my Bitcoins.  ...

Not anymore.  Hive is dead.  At least the Hive wallet can be recovered within Bread Wallet using the 12 word key.  Thank goodness for BIP32/BIP39.  After recovery as a Bread Wallet, all Bitcoins and transactions were available.  Impressed that Bread Wallet was able to do this.  I don't think I'll ever consider a bitcoin wallet that is not compatible with BIP32/BIP39.

Mike
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 01:38:29 PM

Downloaded Bread Wallet, and I like it because if my phone gets lost and the App gets removed from the App store, at least I can use the web version of Hive to get into my Bitcoins.  ...

Not anymore.  Hive is dead.  At least the Hive wallet can be recovered within Bread Wallet using the 12 word key.  Thank goodness for BIP32/BIP39.  After recovery as a Bread Wallet, all Bitcoins and transactions were available.  Impressed that Bread Wallet was able to do this.  I don't think I'll ever consider a bitcoin wallet that is not compatible with BIP32/BIP39.

Mike

Hive is no more, but MultiBit HD can recover breadwallet seeds. Not sure if the opposite occurs, but it's probable that it does (at least partically it does, according to this)
Jake-R

Activity: 142

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 05:11:53 PM

Does anybody use breadwallet and also mine at a pool like Eligius? When I mine there and have the payouts sent to my Bitcoin Core qt wallet, the earnings are noted as "Mined" and are not confirmed until a few more blocks have been mined. How does breadwallet handle those types of transactions?
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 12:07:34 PM

Does anybody use breadwallet and also mine at a pool like Eligius? When I mine there and have the payouts sent to my Bitcoin Core qt wallet, the earnings are noted as "Mined" and are not confirmed until a few more blocks have been mined. How does breadwallet handle those types of transactions?

Not sure the exact way on how that's processed, but you'd definitely get the funds after enough confirmations and you'd be able to spend them. You should probably post on the official thread to get visibility from the dev...
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 06:52:15 AM

How can i erase Breadwallet + all its data ?
i have a test version on my iPhone 6, never save the passphrase (seeds)
i know right  Roll Eyes
i want to erase it and start with a new fresh wallet (but the old password always comes up)
Huh
tx
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 07:05:03 AM

i know right  Roll Eyes
i want to erase it and start with a new fresh wallet (but the old password always comes up)
Huh
tx

On the settings menu, delete the seed and start fresh.
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 08:11:18 AM

i know right  Roll Eyes
Huh
tx

On the settings menu, delete the seed and start fresh.

- start/recover another wallet ?
i can not, do not have the old seeds or password
??

I erased the whole phone already
installed new wallet, set up new wallet, all worked
but the sec i do a sync with iTunes the old wallet comes back and i am stuck again
 Huh
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: