Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:00:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens to your Bitcoin should you suddenly die?  (Read 3456 times)
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 05:31:34 PM

Being close to broke isn't fun, but at least I don't have to worry about anything important being lost or stolen.  Smiley
Still hoping to have this "problem" someday.

colinistheman

Activity: 884
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 05:36:08 PM

Just remember:
You could easily be hit by a truck today: No time to tell anybody about your secret stash of Bitcoin stamped on a piece of metal buried in your garden. No time to tell anybody the password to your bip38-encrypted paper wallet.

Where it is nice, that your Bitcoin are safe from the government and banks, it would be really sad, should you suddenly die and the Bitcoin are just lost, instead of supporting your own children.

So, I am less interested in theoretical ways to solve that problem, but more if somebody here actually did something to solve it.

You could also consider it like this:

It's a non-issue. If the money is lost, the money is lost. It's not as big of a deal as you might imagine because you can always add more decimal places to bitcoin. So basically losing bitcoin would just make existing bitcoin more valuable. Losing them is no one's loss really (except the guy who lost them)-- It's just everyone else's gain (in the form of deflation due to the lost coins).

I don't think it needs a solution. If we couldn't add more decimal places then we might need to be concerned with preserving the money supply, but because we can add more decimal places, it's not that big of a deal. And if you want your family to have access to your bitcoins in the event of your death, then make a will with multisignature keys given to the right people.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
calfries

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 05:59:51 PM

It is up to each Bitcoin user to provide the necessary info to a realtive or legal appointed person to access your wallet in the event of a death.
There is no difference with this or any info needed to access your regular bank account.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2015, 06:04:15 PM

It's simple, give your all info about bitcoin to any of your family member or partner you trust most.And the better is write a note all of the process of bitcoin and keep it in a secure place.

HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2015, 09:41:51 PM

Print it and put it in a safe. They will excavate it on your death by means of brutal physical power.

abstream

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 10:18:54 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2015, 10:35:05 PM by abstream

dead man switch has also been discussed - it would be activated if there is no activity(outgoing transactions?) for some amount of time...

Just remember:
You could easily be hit by a truck today: No time to tell anybody about your secret stash of Bitcoin stamped on a piece of metal buried in your garden. No time to tell anybody the password to your bip38-encrypted paper wallet.

Where it is nice, that your Bitcoin are safe from the government and banks, it would be really sad, should you suddenly die and the Bitcoin are just lost, instead of supporting your own children.

So, I am less interested in theoretical ways to solve that problem, but more if somebody here actually did something to solve it.
JBits

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 10:26:53 PM

I use Nxt, and my Nxt priv. key is on the desk next to me.
A solution to this problem that is safer than my piece of paper is Multisig; you could require both your family, a lawyer, etc. to approve a transaction in order to get have the support them.
abstream

Activity: 81

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 10:38:11 PM

With NXT you have a single passphrase(brainwallet) as a login right?
You would actually have to split the passphrase and give the different parts to the family and the layer Smiley

A solution to this problem that is safer than my piece of paper is Multisig; you could require both your family, a lawyer, etc. to approve a transaction in order to get have the support them.
Reynaldo
Legendary

Activity: 1143
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 10:39:22 PM

I was thinking about this with afriend quite some time ago. It would work like this: Each week/month/X period of time, you would have to do something "proof-of-alive" like answer and automated message and such, if not, then some saved information will be sent to anyone that you wanted to know that stuff.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 11:42:54 PM

Let's put it simply. I haven't planned anything yet. My BTC would be definitely lost if I die tonight.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
franckuestein
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1130

Truth will out!

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 12:05:10 AM

Let's put it simply. I haven't planned anything yet. My BTC would be definitely lost if I die tonight.

lol. haha
Could be an option but in my case I think that you can put it into your will at a notary as someone said or give all the information/pass to use it to family.

I'm going to thing about it, dunno what to do Cheesy

[ AVAILABLE SIGNATURE SPACE ]
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 01:41:00 AM

the family would have to be educated about what bitcoin is first in case either the lawyer dies or he scams the bitcoins which maybe worth several million doillars in say ,a decade from now .........

you need to make your family aware of btc,wallets and passphrases imo b4 its too late

a paper copy and instructions  in a sealed envelope in a  sd box  wouldnt hurt either  in case they forget or lose any part of the info required to "spend" the btc ........
stellar1

Activity: 70

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 05:52:16 AM

Will a paper wallet kept alongside the family gold (so only the next of kin sees it) solve this problem ?

Not if somebody steals your gold(and your paper wallet) Wink

I guess we keep our family gold in a bank locker; maybe the bigger guys keep it in trustworthy vaults. Point is whoever receives your family gold gets the bitcoins too. And most (if not all) of the time the family gold passes into deserving hands.
TrailingComet

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 05:54:27 AM

I have made special provisions for my private keys to be given to my next of kin

Furio
Legendary

Activity: 938

BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 06:06:23 AM

Good thread, same as inlog codes for all sorts of sites, am going to sit down with my wife sometime and explain everything Grin

Nerazzura

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 02:17:43 AM

assume that bad-misfortunes bitcoin is really dead at all.

People want a replacement Bitcoin. We can not close our eyes as well. There are thousands of altcoim, ready to replace bitcoin anytime.

One falls and a thousand spring up.

Where is worried?

You still invest too, right ??

If you are someone who is in awe of the implementation .cryptocoin plus love to see opportunities. This is certainly such a de ja vu, provided you already have experience of the failure of bitcoin.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 07:35:49 AM

I have an email on shedule for sending if I stay inactive for several months (aka dead), the email contains details like location and keys for a pendrive wallet, the pendrive is useless without the email and so is the email without the pendrive, I have yet to find a better way.

What if your email gets compromised and they steal your drive and bitcoins on it?
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 07:56:48 AM

what if the email gets eaten by spam filter and recipient never recieves it
all is left is a useless pendrive ......you need something better to guarantee reliability
sirslayer

Activity: 540
Merit: 501

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 08:18:48 AM

i would keep a copy of it on a flash drive and have an attorney (with a 10 percent cut if he/she would take bitcoins or other assets ) handle it to who ever you want to pass it to.   make sure its worth it..     if not would it just get lost and would it ever be used?? can it be reprinted (mined) again if not used after a while?? 
avw1982

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 08:40:03 AM

There would happen nothing.  Shocked Never thought about it. I don't have that much but it's something the think about.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: