Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:36:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Ruble drops 12% in one day.  (Read 6505 times)
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 11:32:56 PM

The Ruble is going down due to the sanctions, so obviously it weakens compared with any currency.

What kind of revolution are you hoping for? You want to see their government replaced by "US approved" oligarch? How would that benefit the average Russian?

How does the actual Russian government help the average Russian?
I was in Greece recently, and there were plenty of Russians who were just like me: they hate their country, and they don't want to go back there. That was before the slide of the currency...

You didn't answer my question. What's the alternative? Right now you have 2 options, either:

1) Putin's team - I don't know whether they're doing a good job making the average Russian happy. But their goal is to keep Russia as relevant force, military and economically strong and independent. Otherwise, their power is diminished. And power is what they all are after (US, China, Russia), not "money, yachts, cars and hoes" as some 12-year old would think (these are goals for some small-town mayors).

2) Pro-western option. Likely some of the oligarchs, like a bigger version of Poroshenko (is Khodorkovsky still on the cards?). They will obviously get a great reception from US and EU, there will be a lots of smiles and handshakes. Russians will be fed with slogans that "We're finally moving towards real democracy, freedom, wealth [white doves flying in the background]". But, by the very definition, their role will be to keep Russia weak, irrelevant and dependent.

So which one's best for the average Russian? Do you see any other, realistic option?

My last time in Russia was 4 years ago, and I'm not familiar with Russian politics, so I can't talk about the options. What I see is that life expectancy is diminishing in Russia and that Russian population is shrinking. Worse than that, the Russian economy is a failure: where are the Russian products outside Russia? Chinese products are everywhere, like hard disks from Thailand, or Korean mobile phones, but Russian products are nowhere. Russian businesses just can't compete.

You should ask the Russians living on the French Riviera or in London what they think of Putin, it's only the poor uneducated peasants who support him.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 05:49:55 AM

Worse than that, the Russian economy is a failure: where are the Russian products outside Russia? Chinese products are everywhere, like hard disks from Thailand, or Korean mobile phones, but Russian products are nowhere. Russian businesses just can't compete.
I think I just need to quote this:
Nemo1024, why there's no russian products in the market?  Smiley
Kaspersky AV, Dr. Web AV, Outpost Security Suite, JetBrains PhpStorm/WebStorm/RubyMine just to name a few.

I can't name anything I use that is made or designed in russia
Because ignorance is strength.
Moreover, it's ok that russian products are mostly for domestic use. That doesn't make our economy a failure, lol. As for international trade, we mostly trade regionally, we just didn't grow up enough for global markets yet.

What about this part:
What I see is that life expectancy is diminishing in Russia and that Russian population is shrinking.
This totally contradicts reality.

And for population: the turnaround only happened recently.

You should ask the Russians living on the French Riviera or in London what they think of Putin, it's only the poor uneducated peasants who support him.
Racist shit.

Chinese products are everywhere, like hard disks from Thailand, or Korean mobile phones
Is this worded poorly, or you consider Thailand and Korea parts of China?
bee7

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 06:17:01 AM

You know, "she is a bitch, but she is my bitch!".

I was in Greece recently, and there were plenty of Russians who were just like me: they hate their country, and they don't want to go back there. That was before the slide of the currency...

I am sorry for you that you have to hate your own country. As for Russians you have met, I can tell you: "to change the World first change yourself". The same applies to you. Just ask yourself: "What I did to make my country better?".

WhatsBitcoin

Activity: 560
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 06:21:59 AM

12% in one day? That deflation will surely cause Russia to fall deep into trouble economically. Surprised I haven't heard anything about this on the news.

Get sick. Get well.
gjgjg

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 10:01:14 AM

12% in one day? That deflation will surely cause Russia to fall deep into trouble economically. Surprised I haven't heard anything about this on the news.

oh its been on the news alrite! Even non business news was talking about how Apple stopped selling their stuff because of the currency move.

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/apple-russia/

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30512079

http://www.euronews.com/2014/12/17/russian-rouble-rebounds-slightly-but-remains-volatile/

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/17/news/economy/russia-economy-debt-default/index.html?iid=HP_Highlight

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1566

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 11:15:43 AM

My last time in Russia was 4 years ago, and I'm not familiar with Russian politics, so I can't talk about the options. ...

You don't have to be physically present in Russia to understand the situation. All you need is a very basic knowledge of politics/foreign affairs + common sense.

If you think that it's possible to replace Putin's crew with some other option who will make everyone rich, happy and yet maintain Russia as an independent/relevant force - then you must be very young or just very naïve.

There are no 'good guys' in high level politics.

You don't make much sense here. How come the masses of poor peasants support Putin? Following your logic, they should be the ones who hate him the most. And yet he has more support that the vast majority of western leaders could ever dreamed of.

Why should I ask Russians from French Riviera or London? How are they better than any other Russians? Are you referring to the rich Russians, related to opposition, who fled their country?

It was all over the news worldwide, how could you miss that? And think it hit 20% on that day at some point.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
derpberp

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 02:57:46 PM

I like how the Russians came in and made all the Americans look like sheep for spitting out things they read that were simply not true.  Roll Eyes

Good times. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
exoton

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 11:28:58 AM

This is because of oil prices.

Maybe.  Oil industries make up a substantial part of the Russian GDP (13.9% in 2012).
it is likely a combination of the price of oil dropping and economic restrictions the US (and other countries) has put on Russia in response to the situation in the Ukraine.

Oil prices have fallen by more then 50% in the past few months. This would translate to a more then 7% decline in the Russian GDP which is no small decline and is plenty of a reason for their currency to go into a free fall
Atdhe

Activity: 326

Atdhe Nuhiu

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 01:10:16 PM

Oil down by 50% does not mean oil industry is down by 50%. There are refineries and transportation of oil is big part. The fees there remain constant. So the decline will be smaller than 7% (not to mention cheaper oil is stimulation for other parts of economy, e.g. tanks in Ukraine can go cheaper to Kiev Cheesy )
exoton

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 05:09:29 PM

Oil down by 50% does not mean oil industry is down by 50%. There are refineries and transportation of oil is big part. The fees there remain constant. So the decline will be smaller than 7% (not to mention cheaper oil is stimulation for other parts of economy, e.g. tanks in Ukraine can go cheaper to Kiev Cheesy )
Russia primarily exports the oil it extracts overseas and needs to pay a somewhat fixed cost to transport it to other countries (as well as a fixed cost to extract the oil from underground). This means that it's total oil revenues are going to decline by more then 50%.
yrask

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 06:01:33 PM

If I'm not wrong actually Russia selling its ruble in way to collect gold. Keep mind that russia actually is the richest gold owner of the world. So, Ruble is only paper  Grin

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 05:40:31 PM

This is because of oil prices.

Maybe.  Oil industries make up a substantial part of the Russian GDP (13.9% in 2012).
it is likely a combination of the price of oil dropping and economic restrictions the US (and other countries) has put on Russia in response to the situation in the Ukraine.

Oil prices have fallen by more then 50% in the past few months. This would translate to a more then 7% decline in the Russian GDP which is no small decline and is plenty of a reason for their currency to go into a free fall

The sanctions by EU have hit Russia harder than the sanctions by Europe.
Europe is one of the largest trading partners of Russia.
countryfree
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 12:06:54 AM

I am sorry for you that you have to hate your own country. As for Russians you have met, I can tell you: "to change the World first change yourself". The same applies to you. Just ask yourself: "What I did to make my country better?".

That's exactly what I did. I've changed myself since I've left the country where I was born, all for the better. Just like the Russians I've met.
Enjoy life, and don't waste it trying to save dying organizations.

countryfree
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 12:22:24 AM

My last time in Russia was 4 years ago, and I'm not familiar with Russian politics, so I can't talk about the options. ...

You don't have to be physically present in Russia to understand the situation. All you need is a very basic knowledge of politics/foreign affairs + common sense.

If you think that it's possible to replace Putin's crew with some other option who will make everyone rich, happy and yet maintain Russia as an independent/relevant force - then you must be very young or just very naïve.

There are no 'good guys' in high level politics.

You don't make much sense here. How come the masses of poor peasants support Putin? Following your logic, they should be the ones who hate him the most. And yet he has more support that the vast majority of western leaders could ever dreamed of.

Why should I ask Russians from French Riviera or London? How are they better than any other Russians? Are you referring to the rich Russians, related to opposition, who fled their country?

Well, it's easy to understand. They are the successful Russians who have escaped to live a better life and who dislike Putin (actually, they don't talk much about it any longer), and there are the poor Russians who cannot escape, and who suffer everyday because of Putin's failure regarding economics growth and job creation. The amazing part is that all those poor Russians shall dislike Putin, but they still like him. They live poorly but something immaterial, unreal, a spiritual invention, their country (!), stays relevant a little while longer. I'm ashamed by my citizenship, and I would be much ashamed too if I were Russian.

bee7

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:01:37 AM

Well, it's easy to understand. They are the successful Russians who have escaped to live a better life and who dislike Putin (actually, they don't talk much about it any longer), and there are the poor Russians who cannot escape, and who suffer everyday because of Putin's failure regarding economics growth and job creation. The amazing part is that all those poor Russians shall dislike Putin, but they still like him. They live poorly but something immaterial, unreal, a spiritual invention, their country (!), stays relevant a little while longer. I'm ashamed by my citizenship, and I would be much ashamed too if I were Russian.

As I got you are living not in Russia. So, how do you know what Russians feel, what they think, e.t.c.? Why do you believe that your point of view is the only one deserving to follow? Of course, you have the right to have your own opinion about Russia based on any sources of information you like, but don't speak for Russians because you have no idea.

P.S. You can run away from economic problems, regime, whatever. The only thing you can't run from - yourself.
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2014, 04:06:56 AM

RUSSIANS tried their rocket towards economic independence, and the fuel ran out. Now, they are back to square one with Bitcoin.

RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 08:06:43 AM

It's no surprise you keep spreading your propaganda bullshit as you don't know a fuck about Russia. Let's educate yourself before making bold statements.
failure regarding economics growth

failure regarding [...] job creation

Not to say that those moving to French Riviera must have earned enough money in Russia in the first place. Must've been not as bas a place to earn money despite all the "Putin's falures"?
countryfree
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 07:15:49 PM

It's no surprise you keep spreading your propaganda bullshit as you don't know a fuck about Russia. Let's educate yourself before making bold statements.
failure regarding economics growth

failure regarding [...] job creation

Not to say that those moving to French Riviera must have earned enough money in Russia in the first place. Must've been not as bas a place to earn money despite all the "Putin's falures"?

Very nice of yours to compare Russia with France, one of worst performing countries. How about comparing it with Germany or the UK? Or Switzerland? There are many rich Russians there, too.

countryfree
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 07:19:01 PM

As I got you are living not in Russia. So, how do you know what Russians feel, what they think, e.t.c.? Why do you believe that your point of view is the only one deserving to follow? Of course, you have the right to have your own opinion about Russia based on any sources of information you like, but don't speak for Russians because you have no idea.

P.S. You can run away from economic problems, regime, whatever. The only thing you can't run from - yourself.

Running from myself? I don't understand that. People need to run from oppressive regimes, and that's what I did, like my few Russian friends. Everything's nice since then.

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 09:03:46 PM

You all need to understand Russian economy was boosting in last 10 years, they had no real crisis as half Europe had almost whole time. And USA had few years. Fighting against whole world is hard. Lucky for Russia country is huge and they are quite self sufficient, but as no one can be fully.

As i read in this thread. Yes. Maybe Russia will make revolution and working class will overthrow capitalistic oligarchy and for a communist state.  MAybe Russia will become new China one day.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: