Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:31:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Russians move into bitcoin as ruble tanks (CNBC)  (Read 4106 times)
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 05:12:29 PM

Sounds good but why does the price of bitcoin keeps on tanking? There must some selling pressure coming from somewhere. Another explanation i convince myself is i expect the drop in bitcoin price is a reflection of the strength or gain in us dollar like what is happening against all other currencies with bitcoin losing no exception.
maybe...
the russian maybe buying bitcoin but then quickly cashing into fiat of their destination

Seems like that's true. I guess there must be a big problem buying USD in Russia.
Not really. You can easily convert your ruble deposit to a dollar one just by going to your bank. Getting dollar cash might be a bit harder if there's a lack of dollars at the bank (dollars are sometimes bought faster than they are brought from bank vaults).

On the contrary, getting into Bitcoin is harder for an average Russian. There are no ATMs, so you have to use online payment systems to buy Bitcoin.

Most Russians would just buy dollars and keep them in banks in neighboring countries...like Cyprus.

the problem is capital control, how you get the dollar out of russia Huh

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 07:03:58 PM

Sounds good but why does the price of bitcoin keeps on tanking? There must some selling pressure coming from somewhere. Another explanation i convince myself is i expect the drop in bitcoin price is a reflection of the strength or gain in us dollar like what is happening against all other currencies with bitcoin losing no exception.
maybe...
the russian maybe buying bitcoin but then quickly cashing into fiat of their destination

Seems like that's true. I guess there must be a big problem buying USD in Russia.
Not really. You can easily convert your ruble deposit to a dollar one just by going to your bank. Getting dollar cash might be a bit harder if there's a lack of dollars at the bank (dollars are sometimes bought faster than they are brought from bank vaults).

On the contrary, getting into Bitcoin is harder for an average Russian. There are no ATMs, so you have to use online payment systems to buy Bitcoin.

Most Russians would just buy dollars and keep them in banks in neighboring countries...like Cyprus.

the problem is capital control, how you get the dollar out of russia Huh
I don't know where you got that idea, but there are no capital controls in Russia of that kind. You are allowed to have bank accounts anywhere you want, provided that you don't evade taxes.

And most Russian don't do that anyway. They're keeping dollars either at their local bank, or under the mattress.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 07:50:44 PM

i heard on the news that many russians are just buying items that hold their value over time. maybe such as electronics or appliances.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 08:47:34 PM

i heard on the news that many russians are just buying items that hold their value over time. maybe such as electronics or appliances.

The chinese are doing that as well, but more with precious metals and gemstones, the chinese government has actually advised them to do it.

http://www.bullionbullscanada.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2545:china-urges-citizens-to-buy-gold-silver&catid=48:gold-commentary&Itemid=131
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 07:04:17 AM

The chinese are doing that as well, but more with precious metals and gemstones, the chinese government has actually advised them to do it.

http://www.bullionbullscanada.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2545:china-urges-citizens-to-buy-gold-silver&catid=48:gold-commentary&Itemid=131

Man, those lucky countries which don't have a current account deficit.  Undecided
In other countries with current account deficits, there are heavy curbs/quantitative restrictions on such purchases.
RussiaCoinDotInfo

Activity: 325
Merit: 251

Any ideas?

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2014, 07:06:52 AM

RussiaCoin is well placed to take advantage of the Russian Economic downturn http://www.russiacoin.info/

With just over 7.7 Million RC coins, RC is POS and is sitting at 93 sats (with less than 1% of RussiaCoin's listed at BlueTrade ~ https://bleutrade.com/exchange/2129 )

Check us out at Facebook https://www.facebook.com/RussiaCoin

and follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/RussiaCoin

You can buy RussiaCoins with BitCoins, LiteCoins, DogeCoins and even US dollars.

Exchanges: (1) (your exchange here) | Nodes: ... | Web: RussiaCoin.Info Explorer: (1) explorer.russiacoin.info ... | Twitter: @RussiaCoin | DISCORD | Facebook | RussiaCoin Forum | BCT: RussiaCoin on BCT |  RC Given Away: 6 in every 1,000 | GITHUB.COM ~~~  | Market Caps: ... WWW.TALKIMG.COM | Image hosting for BitcoinTalk | Official Topic
blackbird307

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 07:17:42 AM

I don't think buying a plasma TV is a very good store of value. That's just ridiculous. There are better things, like silver. That's already gone down so far, it's just teasing for a reversal.

RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 07:26:27 AM

I don't think buying a plasma TV is a very good store of value. That's just ridiculous. There are better things, like silver. That's already gone down so far, it's just teasing for a reversal.
I don't think they are using it as a store of value. It's more like rushing to buy some relatively expensive durable goods before prices rise more.
bitcoinmining

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 08:14:01 PM

It's certain that Bitcoin's future seems brighter than Ruble right now; but don't forget Ruble has a government power, also we need some governments support to fly to the moooon! Smiley
wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 08:54:54 PM

Clearly the value from Rouble is not moving into Bitcoin, otherwise we would have seen a rise in prices. I think right now they are banking more on Gold or USD.

Sakarias-Corporation

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2014, 09:48:29 PM

now, if Russia would be going into BTC as a country. then i would be rich rich RICH!

H1N1

Activity: 812
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 09:50:13 PM

Clearly the value from Rouble is not moving into Bitcoin, otherwise we would have seen a rise in prices. I think right now they are banking more on Gold or USD.

yup, I agree its clearly that bitcoin continues to drop slowly. Russians arent moving to bitcoin if they were, we would have seen a large rise in the value

Rub3n

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

S> Cheap SocialMedia Hype's

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2014, 01:22:11 AM

I think the mass has no clue about it and some might actually put some of their savings and turn it into BTC. Its actually pretty smart to do, but i'd rather invest in oil ATM.

wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 12:13:42 PM

yup, I agree its clearly that bitcoin continues to drop slowly. Russians arent moving to bitcoin if they were, we would have seen a large rise in the value

I was hoping there would be a big rise like that happened when banks were taking the money in Cyprus. The Russians for some reason are looking elsewhere. It may be due to all the negative news Bitcoin has with being labelled the worst investment of 2014.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: