Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:45:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Were there any new source coins before NXT?  (Read 1576 times)
Lorenzo (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:08:03 PM

I'm sure most people here know by now that NXT is a new source coin that has no relation to Bitcoin code-wise.

Since NXT, a few other new source coins have popped up including NEM, Qora, Node, Crypti, the Cryptonote coins, and various others. It seems that new code coins became popular in 2014 but very few existed before then. My question is; were there any new source coins before NXT's launch in late 2013?

I've seen references to a coin called Timekoin that was coded in PHP that ultimately went nowhere. I guess Ripple might also qualify.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:11:00 PM

I would leave Ripple off the list, since it is not a decentralized system.

oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:21:32 PM

I think Bytecoin is pretty damn old and one of the first non Bitcoin fork coins. Too bad it was a premined scam, but luckly Monero saved the project and improved it.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 05:21:46 PM

I think Bytecoin is pretty damn old and one of the first non Bitcoin fork coins. Too bad it was a premined scam, but luckly Monero saved the project and improved it.

There was an old alt called Bytecoin that was started by Maria a few years ago but it has nothing to do with the Bytecoin that we know today which was started in 2014.

The original Bytecoin was just a fork of Bitcoin with nothing special going for it.
Lorenzo (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 05:51:50 PM

Yeah, Bytecoin was supposed to have been released in 2012 but it didn't really become well known until 2014. I worded my original post to emphasize that it became popular in 2014 as that was when it literally popped out of nowhere. Nevertheless, I don't think it fully counts because of this.

There was an old alt called Bytecoin that was started by Maria a few years ago but it has nothing to do with the Bytecoin that we know today which was started in 2014.

The original Bytecoin was just a fork of Bitcoin with nothing special going for it.

The Cryptonote Bytecoin (BCN) was supposed to have started in 2012 but it only became well known in 2014 when someone who was looking for the other Bytecoin (BTE) accidentally discovered it. The dates are not easy to verify and there is speculation that the coin is a more recent creation though.
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:02:43 PM

Peercoin counts I think. Not sure if the POW side was new but the POS using coinage was ground breaking at the time.
ðºÞæ

Activity: 1176
Merit: 297

Bitcoin © Maximalist

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 08:27:36 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2015, 08:53:52 AM by ðºÞæ

isn't ripple just a rip-off of sharecoin? if it is inflationary instead of deflationary is it a "new source coin" like altcoin. there probably is a lot of old alt coins which qualify. i have no idea what freicoin or others where all about.
Swiftcoin http://www.firstnationalbnak.com/faq
Or Beertokens

"The existing Visa credit card network processes about 15 million Internet purchases per day worldwide. Bitcoin can already scale much larger than that with existing hardware for a fraction of the cost. It never really hits a scale ceiling."  Satoshi Nakamoto, April 2009          Avoiding taxes is totally legal if you consider and respect the law.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 10:03:01 AM

My question is; were there any new source coins before NXT's launch in late 2013?

https://github.com/ripple/rippled/commit/a8e8613475f178f779fd2800c38175615c118a13
Ripple: First commit in October 2011, current blockchain started in December 2012.

I would leave Ripple off the list, since it is not a decentralized system.
It is about as decentralized as Bitcoin, however the native currency is centrally issued. This has nothing to do with the underlying network layer.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
J1mb0

Activity: 983
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 03:02:43 PM

Monero say they forked Bytecoin and don't have anything to do with Cryptonote consortium - I can't see anything earth shattering that Monero has added to Cryptonote. Apart from self-moderated hype, pump, dump repeat scam on BCT forum.

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
███████                  ███████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

. Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore .
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 06:41:06 PM

Monero say they forked Bytecoin and don't have anything to do with Cryptonote consortium - I can't see anything earth shattering that Monero has added to Cryptonote. Apart from self-moderated hype, pump, dump repeat scam on BCT forum.

I thought I read that they had done a large amount of refactoring the code and such. Plus they hired a bunch of independent researchers/cryptographers/mathematicians and such which is pretty good.

tommy69778

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 07:29:08 PM

http://mapofcoins.com/

real innovation is scarce, from what I understand Monero is really a fork from Bytecoin, they have diverged from the initial implementation.

ofc everybody is free to stick with the 80% premined original abandonware (BCN)

Did the original BCN dev make much money out of his premine?
MsCollec
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:50:08 PM

Emunie?
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 10:25:52 PM

Emunie?

Still in beta and under development, so I don't know if it counts here. BTW the development started roughly in the same time as NXT, maybe a bit earlier.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:34:44 AM

I thought I read that they had done a large amount of refactoring the code and such. Plus they hired a bunch of independent researchers/cryptographers/mathematicians and such which is pretty good.

We have. J1mb0 is one of the original Bytecoin shill accounts that was used to try to sell their fraudulent 82% premine, including continued bashing of Monero despite the community having decided long ago which one is legitimate. He's still at it.

Also Bytecoin isn't really that old. The best available verifiable evidence is that it was developed in mid-late 2013, around the same time as Nxt.

Lorenzo (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 07:41:04 PM

Peercoin counts I think. Not sure if the POW side was new but the POS using coinage was ground breaking at the time.

Peercoin is based on Bitcoin although it incorporates a substantial amount of new code since it uses an all-new proof-of-stake algorithm. Think of it as being similar to how English looks like today. There are lots of French and Latin words but the basic structure is still Germanic.

Interestingly, I once read from somewhere that NXT basically lifted the whole PoS code from Peercoin at one point during its development although it's probably not true anymore. Can't seem to find the actual quote though...

http://mapofcoins.com/

real innovation is scarce, from what I understand Monero is really a fork from Bytecoin, they have diverged from the initial implementation.

ofc everybody is free to stick with the 80% premined original abandonware (BCN)

Both coins have diverged in the months/years preceding their creation but Monero still stays pretty close to the reference implementation (as does Bytecoin).

Did the original BCN dev make much money out of his premine?

thats another problem with BCN and all other cryptonote coins (except Monero), no one knows who are the devs, or should I say "active" devs.

Anonymous/pseudyonymous devs are pretty common in the altcoin world. Bitcoin, Namecoin, NXT, NEM, Auroracoin, Peercoin, and Primecoin are examples of coins that once had or continue to have anonymous/pseudonymous devs. Monero has a development team of 7 people and 5 of these have chosen to remain pseudonymous. Its founder was also pseudonymous too:

Quote from: Getmonero.org
Monero is not governed by any foundation or central body, but ongoing development, maintenance, and research is primarily directed and often funded by a core team of seven individuals.

Five members of the Core Team prefer to stay pseudonymous for the moment, but two of them are more public and have revealed their real identities...

Source: http://getmonero.org/knowledge-base/people

Emunie?

Still in beta and under development, so I don't know if it counts here. BTW the development started roughly in the same time as NXT, maybe a bit earlier.

Yeah, it's been in development for a very long time but there are only closed betas to show for it. I've heard that the sole developer is still working on it so the project isn't dead. It's a promising piece of tech if it ever does get released but I think most people have lost interest by now.
choochimil

Activity: 266

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 08:10:24 AM

NXT was first 2nd gen as they called it. I presume SHA256 and SCRYPT coins are quite different so must have had new source at some point.

▄█▄
               █████████
            ███    █    ███
        ████       █       ████
     ███           █           ███
 ████              █              ████
█████             ███             █████
██   ███         █████         ████  ██
██      ███▓    ██ █ ██     ███      ██
██         ██████  █  ██████         ██
██           █████ █ █████           ██
██          ██   █████   ██          ██
██         ██ ███  █  ███ ██         ██
██        ████     █     ████        ██
██     ███ ███     █     ███ ███     ██
██ ████       ████ █  ███       ████ ██
███              █████              ███
   ███             █             ███
      ████         █         ████
          ███      █      ████
             ████  █   ███
                ███████
                  ▀█▀

▄█▄
               █████████
            ███    █    ███
        ████       █       ████
     ███           █           ███
 ████              █              ████
█████             ███             █████
██   ███         █████         ████  ██
██      ███▓    ██ █ ██     ███      ██
██         ██████  █  ██████         ██
██           █████ █ █████           ██
██          ██   █████   ██          ██
██         ██ ███  █  ███ ██         ██
██        ████     █     ████        ██
██     ███ ███     █     ███ ███     ██
██ ████       ████ █  ███       ████ ██
███              █████              ███
   ███             █             ███
      ████         █         ████
          ███      █      ████
             ████  █   ███
                ███████
                  ▀█▀

TELEGRAM
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
REDDIT

LINKEDIN
INSTAGRAM
GITHUB
BITCOINTALK
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 08:39:53 AM

there where a few well before Bitcoin  Grin Digicash, e-gold.....etc etc
Lorenzo (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 12:37:07 PM

NXT was first 2nd gen as they called it. I presume SHA256 and SCRYPT coins are quite different so must have had new source at some point.

The evolutionary links between Bitcoin and scrypt based currencies like Dogecoin are actually quite complex. A simplified explanation is this: Most scrypt coins are based on Litecoin which was based directly on Bitcoin in order to eliminate bugs introduced by other developers and to benefit from the latest code updates which coblee would then merge into LTC. However, the scrypt PoW part was derived from Fairbrix which was an identical copy of Tenebrix but without the premine. Tenebrix (and thus also Fairbrix) was based on Multicoin which was itself based on Bitcoin. Multicoin was buggy and ended up being a failure so coblee's decision to base LTC on BTC was a very good one.

there where a few well before Bitcoin  Grin Digicash, e-gold.....etc etc

I guess if you really wanted to be really technical then the direct ancestors of Bitcoin would also probably count. Out of these, Hal Finney's RPOWs was the only one that was actually implemented in software though.

Also, it's probably debateable whether or not the centralized currencies in your examples are actually coins since they are/were probably nothing more than entries in a centralized database.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: