Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:09:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chess and gambling  (Read 4831 times)
cheater123

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:06:57 AM

better you do work on chess site and in this you have section for cash rewards who will win have his reward and also for 2nd and 3rd places also so its better and not illegal you can work on it
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:48:38 AM

Is starting an online chess bitcoin gambling site like online poker sites illegal? I've heard that because chess is a game of pure skill it does not fall under the typical illegal status in the United States. Is this true? Supposing that online chess gambling was legal in the United States what would happen if players from outside the United States started using the site? Could the company running the site from United States be in legal trouble with regards to the law in other countries because their citizens accessed the site and gambled?

Not sure about the legality of this, but I'd imagine that you'd run into the problem of cheating using bots or chess engines.

I dont tink its cheating to use bots, you can also use a bot if you think it is a benefit.
Algorithmic participation in stock markets, poker games and other games cannot be stopped since it is part of the evolution.
illpoet

Activity: 341

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:29:36 PM

oh man i miss playing go.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
alp

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:33:17 PM

Is starting an online chess bitcoin gambling site like online poker sites illegal? I've heard that because chess is a game of pure skill it does not fall under the typical illegal status in the United States. Is this true? Supposing that online chess gambling was legal in the United States what would happen if players from outside the United States started using the site? Could the company running the site from United States be in legal trouble with regards to the law in other countries because their citizens accessed the site and gambled?

The legality depends greatly state to state.  There is skill gambling on sites like worldwinner (although the site is highly flawed because the site rigs it so you only compete against people nearly identical in skill to you, and the house just collects huge fees, and bans you if you win too much).  I remember the site not letting me play when I was in Arizona, but was legal elsewhere.

Poker is one of those grey areas where it hasn't really been tested in courts, although some states are super strict with this stuff and others aren't.  Some have rules about the house taking a cut, etc...

I am looking for a good signature. Here could be your advertisement
alp

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:39:54 PM

P.s. strategy (online) games are far harder to turn into a viable and steady way of playing 4 money than (online) gambling. It all becomes programmers/coders battles.

There are some strategy games that don't really have this problem.  Go and Hex both fit the bill (I'm sure there are others).  There are active AI groups for both of these games but the top level, even with serious computing power, falls significantly below strong amateur human play.  As a bonus, Go is quite popular in Asia and gambling is very popular (and usually legally grey).

Isn't hex entirely solved?

Pure skill games suck for gambling, though.  You need a lot of variance, at least, which is why backgammon is at least somewhat better.  You need a healthy supply of people who are playing at a loss to fund players at the top, and players at the bottom simply will not play if they keep getting destroyed.  They at least need the illusion of having a chance of winning against anyone.  Look at how many people make a living playing chess (besides giving lessons) vs. those that make a living playing poker.  Backgammon has a significant luck element where a poor player can upset a good player, but the good player has a large advantage.  If I played a grandmaster in chess, I would have < .001% chance of winning.  If I played a world class poker player for an hour, I would have at least a 1% chance of winning money against him, and likely much more.  If I played chess against a player 10 percentile points ahead of me in chess, he still would likely win each game 95% of the time, but in poker it might drop down to 60% (depending on the game).

I am looking for a good signature. Here could be your advertisement
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 12:36:27 AM

P.s. strategy (online) games are far harder to turn into a viable and steady way of playing 4 money than (online) gambling. It all becomes programmers/coders battles.

There are some strategy games that don't really have this problem.  Go and Hex both fit the bill (I'm sure there are others).  There are active AI groups for both of these games but the top level, even with serious computing power, falls significantly below strong amateur human play.  As a bonus, Go is quite popular in Asia and gambling is very popular (and usually legally grey).
Good luck in trying to beat a modern GO engine as even a stong amateur... Yes, computers still are being beaten in that game, but it is more a question of computing power etc. than the game itself.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Financisto

Activity: 632
Merit: 768

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 05:29:34 AM

Isn't hex entirely solved?

Pure skill games suck for gambling, though.  You need a lot of variance, at least, which is why backgammon is at least somewhat better.  You need a healthy supply of people who are playing at a loss to fund players at the top, and players at the bottom simply will not play if they keep getting destroyed.  They at least need the illusion of having a chance of winning against anyone.  Look at how many people make a living playing chess (besides giving lessons) vs. those that make a living playing poker.  Backgammon has a significant luck element where a poor player can upset a good player, but the good player has a large advantage.  If I played a grandmaster in chess, I would have < .001% chance of winning.  If I played a world class poker player for an hour, I would have at least a 1% chance of winning money against him, and likely much more.  If I played chess against a player 10 percentile points ahead of me in chess, he still would likely win each game 95% of the time, but in poker it might drop down to 60% (depending on the game).

Very well stated analogy.

I liked that point of view!

I was researching some types of games lately, and it's hard to find some that's not too much a Game of Chance neither a pure Strategic Game but rather something like Combinatorial Games or a good mix among them.

Resources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_classification#Classification_by_causes_of_uncertainty

LIST • ESCROW providers • Ranking & Scores available!LIST • FOSS BrainwalletsBTC ⇆⚡⇄ BTCBTC aka BTC: 16MBvhaJoRBxW3Vk6apnvz3UYT9HAgraVS ⚡ PGP: 2680207AA9A1B69FE7A033D80DE0F221074384C4 ⚡ If you think freedom matters, please support the development of these privacy projects→DONATE some sats: TailsQubes OSWhonixVeraCryptPicocryptKryptorSimpleX Chat
daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:12:47 AM

I'd like to do some arcace style games, but it seems that people will start cheating then by coding bots?

faiza1990

Activity: 420

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 08:20:44 PM

I'd like to do some arcace style games, but it seems that people will start cheating then by coding bots?

yes and you must be very soon look like a scamer and peoples talk about you scam not work

WinVery.com

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 08:26:32 PM

Don't be scared
faiza1990

Activity: 420

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 08:28:02 PM