Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:55:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spondoolies Spam  (Read 8116 times)
hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 11:10:14 PM

I love it.  I'm so tired of seeing the thread board clogged with Bitmain,- I flashed my firmware and bricked my S-?, it's not SPTech's fault Bitmain has missed the their release date for the S-5 or that would be dominating the board instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 11:12:40 PM

So Hardware was flooded for 3-4 days. It's not such a big deal.

As of this post, 7/10 review threads, +the SP20 unofficial thread, + the spondoolies thread are all active on the front page. In part, because you are being active in each and all of them.

I'll say it again, does anyone have an objection to Bitmain paying for 50 review threads? Seems not.
My involvement is a short courtesy thank you for the reviewer.
Be patient and most of the threads will sunk soon.
I did reply that I'll be happy to see 10 different reviews of a new BMT product.

I really don't understand all the negative attitude towards our legendaries review party. It's fun and harmless.

Why does bitmain only get 10, what if they wanted to do 50?

Is it also OK for any manufacture to do as many review threads as they like?

If it's all harmless fun and they will sink away in a few days what is so bad about having them all together?  You might actually get a single review thread to stay on the front page a lot longer with everyone circle jerking in it.

To be honest I think SPT is the best manufacture to date (the company is very proffesional and their products are reportedly fantastic), if this was Bitmain, AM or ANY other vendor I would have exactly the same problem with it.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2014, 01:13:46 AM

As of this post, 7/10 review threads, +the SP20 unofficial thread, + the spondoolies thread are all active on the front page. In part, because you are being active in each and all of them.

I'll say it again, does anyone have an objection to Bitmain paying for 50 review threads? Seems not.
I did reply that I'll be happy to see 10 different reviews of a new BMT product.

I really don't understand all the negative attitude towards our legendaries review party. It's fun and harmless.

Why does bitmain only get 10, what if they wanted to do 50?

Is it also OK for any manufacture to do as many review threads as they like?

If it's all harmless fun and they will sink away in a few days what is so bad about having them all together?  You might actually get a single review thread to stay on the front page a lot longer with everyone circle jerking in it.

To be honest I think SPT is the best manufacture to date (the company is very proffesional and their products are reportedly fantastic), if this was Bitmain, AM or ANY other vendor I would have exactly the same problem with it.

That's what I mean, its "all fun and games" to the issuing company, who is sitting there making money while others refrain. When others choose to fight back, then its no longer 'fun'. And they will and can and rightly should if the moderation allows things like this to go on.

Beastlymac

Activity: 630
Merit: 501

Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 01:52:35 AM

I agree that in the span of things it is harmless. In a week the majority of the review threads will be on the second or third page and we all know almost nobody looks past the first page. So i don't think people need to get as worked up about it as they have been.

Message me if you have any problems
malaimult

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 02:11:11 AM

I think Spondoolies did somewhat cause the spam by giving away so many of their miners under the condition that a review was to be made for the device. I really don't see it causing that much harm though as each thread is not going to cause that much of a distraction and they will probably quickly die/fade away.

It probably would have been more appropriate for Spondoolies to have the reviews be made in the "main" thread and then they could quote the review in the OP or 2nd/3rd reserved page

Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 02:23:28 AM

I agree that in the span of things it is harmless. In a week the majority of the review threads will be on the second or third page and we all know almost nobody looks past the first page. So i don't think people need to get as worked up about it as they have been.

If they allow this once they have to allow it again...  

I would like to officially ask any manufacture who decides to advertise here this way to consider me for the list!!!  Tongue

I really thought conmans solution was pretty reasonable LOL.  It allowed for everyone to get basically what they wanted.

SPT got the advertising they paid for and according to them they will sink into oblivion any ways (there is still multiple active SPT threads and links to the reviews can be posted in lots of places for future reference)
Legendaries got sweet toys
Forum gets to set a precedent saying something like, "this is cool and peps had some fun but hey we can't let every one do this so ya we're gonna lock em down after they run their course" and "no more spammy advertising we don't get a cut/control of...".

And of course if the forum admin and mods don't agree and they think it's perfectly fine than like I said, can I go on the next list from any manufacture please!
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 02:29:20 AM

I think Spondoolies did somewhat cause the spam by giving away so many of their miners under the condition that a review was to be made for the device. I really don't see it causing that much harm though as each thread is not going to cause that much of a distraction and they will probably quickly die/fade away.

It probably would have been more appropriate for Spondoolies to have the reviews be made in the "main" thread and then they could quote the review in the OP or 2nd/3rd reserved page

Consolidation into a single thread (SPT had a couple to choose from) would have been the smart and right thing to do.

If the other manufactures don't do it then ya it was completely harmless (unless you care about SPT spending money to advertise here and the forum not getting paid for it, which some do and some don't).  If all of a sudden other manufactures start to do it to compete it will detract from the readability of the Hardware forum IMO.
malaimult

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 02:35:41 AM

Consolidation into a single thread (SPT had a couple to choose from) would have been the smart and right thing to do.

If the other manufactures don't do it then ya it was completely harmless (unless you care about SPT spending money to advertise here and the forum not getting paid for it, which some do and some don't).  If all of a sudden other manufactures start to do it to compete it will detract from the readability of the Hardware forum IMO.
Manufacturers could potentially start signature campaigns which the forum does not receive proceeds from either. I think the market should regulate this kind of behavior as this does kind of make them look bad, as it is no secret they gave away free miners.

IMO Spondoolies should ask the OP of each of the threads to lock their respective threads, quote and/or reference the review in their thread so people can get several independent perspectives as to their miner's performance.   

Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 02:38:20 AM

10 posts != spam...  Roll Eyes then again i did get a free miner

hi
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 02:51:28 AM

10 posts != spam...  Roll Eyes then again i did get a free miner

Dude there's like 15 or so SPT threads in Hardware ATM.  If all the others do it because it's allowed it's could get pretty gross in the Hardware section
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2014, 02:54:17 AM

Which is why it needs to be stopped, now. It would be entirely unfair to allow this episode to continue and NOT let a further one by a different manufacturer continue.

There is also the issue that mod's that actively decide what is allowed and not are involved in this (and potentially future) giveaways. SS received a unit from the main giveaway and CK rightly from a cgminer perspective. At what point does it simply become a bribe in order to circumvent otherwise 'accepted' standards? [This is an entirely theoretical question, I'm not suggesting that's what happened here. But seriously, what if every admin was targeted in a giveaway, such that no one wants to actually stop the obvious spam?]

Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2014, 03:05:39 AM

Taken this second. So of the first 17 threads, 11 are review threads, 2 are other ST threads and 4 are other threads. This is the definition of spam.
Dogie, you do realize that people are playing with you ?
Instead of letting those threads sunk, you kept this spam thread alive.
Eventually, if you'll continue to post here and people will continue to bump those threads, Con will be forced to lock them.

I suggest no more posting here and no more artificial bumps.
(disclaimer: we don't initiate those bumps)

Guy

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
mavericklm

Activity: 742

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 04:41:15 AM

It's just the envy in them that is raging! let them cry Grin
sjc1490

Activity: 546

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 04:47:17 AM

It's just the envy in them that is raging! let them cry Grin

Agreed, excellent marketing move, could it be jealousy that it wasn't thought of first by someone else?

P.S.
I am very happy with the SP20 I recently PURCHASED.

BTC ADDRESS: 12Qwd8VKLQ4xF44ytHXBpCAKuF9VknG4X2
mavericklm

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 04:57:13 AM

I got 2 incoming! I feel, a bit like a child waiting for them to arrive! Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

It's as simple as upgrading the forum with subforums for each manufacturer, else is ok i guess!
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 08:13:51 AM

I got 2 incoming! I feel, a bit like a child waiting for them to arrive! Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

It's as simple as upgrading the forum with subforums for each manufacturer, else is ok i guess!

I have made the proposal for this, some time before the review threads appeared and the consensus from the forum moderators was
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=889336.0

'meh, can't be arsed it's too much bother' or words to those effects.

dogie reckons

/Hardware would be significantly damaged with the introduction of further subforums. Who would decide what companies to add and remove, how would anyone see what was active or newly announced without entering 15 subforums, and even in each subforum there would be content sometimes years old. There simply isn't 25 topics required per company, unless you attempt to break the system like ST did. And ah, if there was subforums, ST wouldn't have spent the money to do that kind of activity in the first place. Back to not needing more than a few topics per company.

so, there you have it. butt-hurt because his own threads have been bumped down.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
mavericklm

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 08:18:09 AM

He must have some big ass ego! Grin
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2014, 09:50:30 AM
Last edit: December 21, 2014, 10:32:48 AM by BadBear

If sig campaigns are allowed, I don't see what's so particularly heinous about this. Targetting sig campaigns would also provide a better ROI, it's by far the worst type of corporate spam here.

I do see how it may become a problem if it becomes common. Though one would think that since a significant majority of their customers come from here they would ultimately want to do what's best for the forum, and not just short term profits, but that's greed for ya. I guess we'll find out.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
wh00per

Activity: 571

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 03:17:30 PM
Last edit: December 21, 2014, 03:35:37 PM by wh00per

If the other manufactures don't do it then ya it was completely harmless (unless you care about SPT spending money to advertise here and the forum not getting paid for it, which some do and some don't).  If all of a sudden other manufactures start to do it to compete it will detract from the readability of the Hardware forum IMO.

Which is why it needs to be stopped, now. It would be entirely unfair to allow this episode to continue and NOT let a further one by a different manufacturer continue.

There is also the issue that mod's that actively decide what is allowed and not are involved in this (and potentially future) giveaways. SS received a unit from the main giveaway and CK rightly from a cgminer perspective. At what point does it simply become a bribe in order to circumvent otherwise 'accepted' standards? [This is an entirely theoretical question, I'm not suggesting that's what happened here. But seriously, what if every admin was targeted in a giveaway, such that no one wants to actually stop the obvious spam?]

Dogie and the rest ..

While I find dogie's guides not technical enough to read respond to them, they should be consolidated too ..
I don't see a reason for dogie's individual reviews remaining out there as posted and MY review  (if any) should be made part of any other one's thread.

In the screen capture above I actually ran through all the reviews I found and try to understand how steep is the learning curve for all legendary and hero members involved. I "bumped them" so that I can track user interest and response time for each of them.

With the Christmas around the corner, try think of giving something to the community without impersonating the forum staff. If you feel threatened in one way or the other, report my posts. The moderators do a nice job altogether .. and while I did not post too much since I joined in 2012, I read most of the forum members output. We all play by the rules ..

CSA/cUL Certified Power Distribution Panels - Basic, Switched, Metered. 1-3 phases. Up to 600V. NMC:N4F9qvHz11BHcc4nh1LCJFsrZhA1EWgVwj
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2014, 04:36:05 PM

I do not see any issues with the give away for some good reviews..it does get old seeing the same old boring stuff in that thread. I really would like to see a manufacture specific sub for each company though. Maybe after a company has released a working product allow them a specific sub? *Disclaimer I was given one of these wonderful miners*
I would be good with Bitmain giving samples - I am ready to review a S4 anytime they wish to ship me one  Tongue
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: