Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:41:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal: hardware manufacturers should have their own child boards.  (Read 1934 times)
raskul (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 10:52:00 AM

To assist buyers who may be considering mining hardware purchases, I would like to propose admins of the forum create child boards within the Hardware Section, relating to each trusted manufacturer.

This would help buyers more easily navigate when choosing which product to buy and would also allow manufacturers to host individual support threads for each product.

discuss.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 11:14:42 AM

To assist buyers who may be considering mining hardware purchases, I would like to propose admins of the forum create child boards within the Hardware Section, relating to each trusted manufacturer.

Who decides which manufacturer is trusted?

This would help buyers more easily navigate when choosing which product to buy and would also allow manufacturers to host individual support threads for each product.

discuss.

Is there demand for a specific section for each manufacturer or are we talking about 2-3 posts a week? A dead section noone posts in does not help anyone.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
raskul (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 11:18:42 AM

Who decides which manufacturer is trusted?

discuss.

Is there demand for a specific section for each manufacturer or are we talking about 2-3 posts a week? A dead section noone posts in does not help anyone.

For me, trusted manufacturers are those who sell products and honour their order queues in a timely manner.

The child boards would have dedicated topics for each product, the amount of posts would merely depend on the number of customers, a thread with only 2-3 posts per week would also be informative in itself as it would show the lack of interest in a product.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 11:33:34 AM

-snip-
For me, trusted manufacturers are those who sell products and honour their order queues in a timely manner.

But the subboard is not only for you. The staff, mods and admins tend to stay away from judging who is trustworth and who is not, because
#1 its difficult (think: detect a long con before its too late)
#2 it would allow for manipulation

The child boards would have dedicated topics for each product, the amount of posts would merely depend on the number of customers, a thread with only 2-3 posts per week would also be informative in itself as it would show the lack of interest in a product.

Each subboard needs administrative care. If noone is posting there its more work than benefit. The existing subboards can be scanned for posts regarding a certain manufacturer to judge the interest in their products (or lack of the same).

raskul (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 11:40:46 AM

-snip-

But the subboard is not only for you. The staff, mods and admins tend to stay away from judging who is trustworth and who is not, because
#1 its difficult (think: detect a long con before its too late)
#2 it would allow for manipulation

Each subboard needs administrative care. If noone is posting there its more work than benefit. The existing subboards can be scanned for posts regarding a certain manufacturer to judge the interest in their products (or lack of the same).

so it would be simple enough to have child boards for every purported manufacturer, and as is already the case, let the community decide for themselves if they are trustworthy.

regarding administrative care, that's what admins and moderators have committed to be there for and in my view, creating child boards for each manufacturer would make it easier, not more difficult.

there are also many independent threads which relate to particular hardware manufacturers products, littered across the forum. collating them all into one place would be (forgive my OCD) a far better filing system.

so, tell me, exactly what would you be against, and why, in this proposal?
the idea is to make it more accessible for users, and thus, in doing so, whether it is more work or less work for admins and mods, should be irrelevant.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 12:16:29 PM

-snip-
so it would be simple enough to have child boards for every purported manufacturer, and as is already the case, let the community decide for themselves if they are trustworthy.

Yes it would be additional work. Whether this is simple or not does not matter, esp. since we are talking about constant workload to add every backalley "manufacturer" of hardware.

regarding administrative care, that's what admins and moderators have committed to be there for and in my view, creating child boards for each manufacturer would make it easier, not more difficult.

I doubt that they have committed to care for a subboard for every special purpose. If its needed because a certain topic floods everything else in certain section I am positive that a now subboard would be created.

there are also many independent threads which relate to particular hardware manufacturers products, littered across the forum. collating them all into one place would be (forgive my OCD) a far better filing system.

A overall section for all hardware is allready in place. If you see them elsewhere, report them and they will be moved if the staff agrees with you.

so, tell me, exactly what would you be against, and why, in this proposal?

I am not personally against this. I just think its not worth the work the staff would have to put into this.

the idea is to make it more accessible for users, and thus, in doing so, whether it is more work or less work for admins and mods, should be irrelevant.

Since AFAIK they "work" for free, they will disagree with you.

raskul (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 02:20:32 PM

fair enough, your thought is that more child boards would create more work, my thought is that more child boards simply gives a better filing system on the forum, so less work, we can agree to disagree.  Wink

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 02:27:37 PM

fair enough, your thought is that more child boards would create more work, my thought is that more child boards simply gives a better filing system on the forum, so less work, we can agree to disagree.  Wink

Allright. Maybe we even get someone from Staff to comment on this Wink

raskul (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 02:32:26 PM

Allright. Maybe we even get someone from Staff to comment on this Wink

Yeah, it'd be good to have some input from someone who does moderate the forums.
It was just a thought I had since there are now GEN4 chips being baked and a massive range of hardware available.
My thought was that if each manufacturer had their own child board within the hardware section, it would be easier for users/miners to ascertain which they would wish to consider buying.
at the moment, threads are all over the place and I can only foresee more independent threads appearing in the near future.

yeah, I get OCD and I like to tidy up  Grin
I'd be quite happy to look after the section if need be.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 02:49:50 PM

-snip-

Yeah, it'd be good to have some input from someone who does moderate the forums.
It was just a thought I had since there are now GEN4 chips being baked and a massive range of hardware available.
My thought was that if each manufacturer had their own child board within the hardware section, it would be easier for users/miners to ascertain which they would wish to consider buying.
at the moment, threads are all over the place and I can only foresee more independent threads appearing in the near future.

yeah, I get OCD and I like to tidy up  Grin
I'd be quite happy to look after the section if need be.

I get your point and I personally would prefer a more granular structure for the board. On the other hand I also see that plenty people post in the wrong section. E.g. lots of problems with blockchain.info are posted in tech support instead of service discussion. People also tend to post in tech support when they should actually post in Electrum, Multibit or another wallet specifc subboard or have problems with their mining hardware (mining support).
Its certainly not true for every post, but some seem to overlook the subboard once they are to deep into the structure. Thus - even though it might be more orderly - every new subboard creates potential for posting in the wrong section. Which ofc should not be an argument to reduce the board to a single section Wink

raskul (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 03:00:08 PM

yes, just reading the text in your comment made me cringe.
people who post in the wrong place should be required to read all the readme texts on the entire tinterweb.

so-there  Tongue

Zelek Uther

Activity: 700
Merit: 504

Run a Bitcoin node.

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 05:13:08 PM

I think there are pros and cons to this, as discussed.

raskul, can you list the manufacturer child boards you would like to see?

Run a Bitcoin node, support the network.
raskul (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 05:30:44 PM

I think there are pros and cons to this, as discussed.

raskul, can you list the manufacturer child boards you would like to see?

here are a list of the ones i have slight knowledge about (personally, i've owned BTCgarden, BFL and SP-Tech miners and got robbed by Hashfast)

(disclaimer - some of these are now defunct or pending legal action - this list is in no way an endorsement of any of these h/w manufacturers)
i may have missed some? please advise if there are any you know of which are not on this list.

AMT
ASICMiner   
BFL
BitCrane
Bitfury   
Bitmain
BitMine
Black Arrow
BTCGarden
Canaan Creative
CoinTerra   
HashFast
KNC Miner
Lightning ASIC
OneStringMiner
RockMiner   
SpondooliesTech
Technobit
VMC   
XBTech   
Yiazo   

et al.

PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 05:41:39 PM

I don't think there is a need to a separate board for each hardware manufacturer. They already have a a board to post in. It is actually better for members to search for information and ask for advice if everyone is posting in the same board.
raskul (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 05:45:30 PM

I don't think there is a need to a separate board for each hardware manufacturer. They already have a a board to post in. It is actually better for members to search for information and ask for advice if everyone is posting in the same board.

my point is not regarding the manufacturer's own threads, my point is for the independent threads which do tests or attempt overclocking etc etc.
if each manufacturer had their own child board, then the user would see all of these useful and informative independent threads simply by going into that child board.

currently there are a varied set of independent threads which, when looked at initially, you really don't know what precise hardware they relate to.
and the search function isn't always accurate either.

raskul (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 07:47:07 AM

ho-hum.  i see much butt-hurt across the Meta threads regarding some SP-Tech reviews posted in Hardware.
this proposal would fix such butt-hurt  Grin

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2014, 06:25:45 AM

ho-hum.  i see much butt-hurt across the Meta threads regarding some SP-Tech reviews posted in Hardware.
this proposal would fix such butt-hurt  Grin

Says the guy with the christmas tree of all christmas tree affiliate link sigs for said company Roll Eyes

/Hardware would be significantly damaged with the introduction of further subforums. Who would decide what companies to add and remove, how would anyone see what was active or newly announced without entering 15 subforums, and even in each subforum there would be content sometimes years old. There simply isn't 25 topics required per company, unless you attempt to break the system like ST did. And ah, if there was subforums, ST wouldn't have spent the money to do that kind of activity in the first place. Back to not needing more than a few topics per company.

raskul (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 08:12:39 AM

Says the guy with the christmas tree of all christmas tree affiliate link sigs for said company Roll Eyes

Forgive me for earning a living.
 Roll Eyes
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=899228.msg9887031#msg9887031

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2014, 09:00:59 AM

ho-hum.  i see much butt-hurt across the Meta threads regarding some SP-Tech reviews posted in Hardware.
this proposal would fix such butt-hurt  Grin

You were specifically complaining that people were being biased because it was SPTech related meta, and so I pointed out that if anyone was going to be biased for / against SPTech it would be the guy with the giant affiliate link of the company in his sig.

raskul (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 09:05:44 AM

You were specifically complaining that people were being biased because it was SPTech related meta, and so I pointed out that if anyone was going to be biased for / against SPTech it would be the guy with the giant affiliate link of the company in his sig.

I made no particular comment or complaint that is was specifically DUE TO SPTech related Meta. I remarked that on this occaision, the subject is regarding SP-Tech.  It could have been any manufacturer and you would still have been 'butt-hurt' that someone was bumping down your own review threads. I hope this clarifies what I meant by my comment.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: