Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 11:18:58 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OVERVIEW: BITCOIN HARDWARE WALLETS █████████████████ Secure your Coins  (Read 122200 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
btchip

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 01:19:18 PM

FPGAs are actually harder to secure than any other kind of hardware - they're designed for flexible & fast hardware emulation, not security (and add proprietary bitstreams on top of that, which make it harder to understand what the chip is actually doing - f.e. see https://eprint.iacr.org/2014/649.pdf).

I fail to see what kind of added security an FPGA would bring, compared to another microcontroller performing the same checks using a totally different code base than the wallet code.

EliptiBox

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 02:52:58 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2015, 07:43:02 PM by EliptiBox

FPGAs are actually harder to secure than any other kind of hardware - they're designed for flexible & fast hardware emulation, not security (and add proprietary bitstreams on top of that, which make it harder to understand what the chip is actually doing - f.e. see https://eprint.iacr.org/2014/649.pdf).

I fail to see what kind of added security an FPGA would bring, compared to another microcontroller performing the same checks using a totally different code base than the wallet code.

FPGAs are used today in many markets instead of ASICs, such as 10-100 GbEthernet, wireless communication, high throughput encryption, even in smartphones (project ARA). As mentioned, their ability to implement any logic function is a great asset. But after the FPGA is configured at power-on, it is not possible to change it's function over the input-output pins.

However, microcontroller is prone to attacks from it's input-output pins and dedicated interfaces (uart, usb, etc.). If a remote attacker was able to change the code on the microcontroller flash, only a single successful attack is needed. Afterwards the infected microcontroller can leak private keys, attack any device it is connected to (see recent usb vulnerability) and more without the user knowing it. (example: http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3554)

With FPGA a developer controls every single bit and logic gate inside the chip as a routine.
With microcontroller you have to trust the compiler and effectively can not check the resulting binary code, because it is very different from the high-level C code written by developer.

FPGA configuration can be done only over dedicated pins of the chip, which are not accessible from external interface.

Moreover, we will publish the source code of the firewall, so that anyone can compile it on our development kit and validate the functionality.

You are welcome to subscribe at our site to receive in-depth design documentation to be published gradually.

www.eliptibox.com

EliptiBox

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 03:13:47 PM

So how much will eliptibox be, and when is the 1st batch scheduled for ?

We are working hard on the product and making good progress. It's a complex project and we prefer not to set over-optimistic expectations.
You are welcome to subscribe at our site to receive proof-of-work updates.
We didn't set the price yet, however our intention is to distribute EliptiBox as a community platform with low margins.

www.eliptibox.com

EliptiBox

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 09:44:04 PM

So how much will eliptibox be, and when is the 1st batch scheduled for ?

We are working hard on the product and making good progress. It's a complex project and we prefer not to set over-optimistic expectations.
You are welcome to subscribe at our site to receive proof-of-work updates.
We didn't set the price yet, however our intention is to distribute EliptiBox as a community platform with low margins.

www.eliptibox.com

Do you have a range idea yet? 50-100? 100-150? >50?

The final price depends strongly on the quantity, thus on the community interest in our solution. During the following month we are advertising in order to determine the mass production volume and unit price. The price could be anywhere between 50 to 250$.

www.eliptibox.com
btchip

Activity: 623

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 10:44:18 PM

FPGAs are used today in many markets instead of ASICs, such as 10-100 GbEthernet, wireless communication, high throughput encryption, even in smartphones (project ARA). As mentioned, their ability to implement any logic function is a great asset. But after the FPGA is configured at power-on, it is not possible to change it's function over the input-output pins.

How do you load the bitstream ? Then how do you lock it ? Also how do you avoid getting back to square one (properly locking down the device) if you depend on a non corrupted bitstream in the first place ? Which FPGA do you plan to use ?

However, microcontroller is prone to attacks from it's input-output pins and dedicated interfaces (uart, usb, etc.). If a remote attacker was able to change the code on the microcontroller flash, only a single successful attack is needed. Afterwards the infected microcontroller can leak private keys, attack any device it is connected to (see recent usb vulnerability) and more without the user knowing it. (example: http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3554)

it's exactly the same problem if someone manages to change the bitstream. where is it loaded from ?

With FPGA a developer controls every single bit and logic gate inside the chip as a routine.

except you can't verify the generated bitstream on many (all ?) typical commercial FPGAs, so you blindly trust the generator.

With microcontroller you have to trust the compiler and effectively can not check the resulting binary code, because it is very different from the high-level C code written by developer.

you can still check the generated assembly code, at least, while you can't read the generated bitstream.

FPGA configuration can be done only over dedicated pins of the chip, which are not accessible from external interface.

ok, so how do you reprogram it and avoid getting a "bad" firewall uploaded then ?

EliptiBox

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 09:46:09 PM

These are all good points and our attempt to answer them resulted in a long explanation.
So we've opened FAQ page on our site to share these and other questions with all.

You are welcome to follow the link http://www.eliptibox.com/#!faq/c18gq .

On the question of which FPGA we are planning to use, we chose the FPGA with the lowest price that is still large enough to contain our firewall with the provision for future updates. The part number will be published with the hardware documentation and will be available to our subscribers.

www.eliptibox.com

Emaid1934

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:50:15 PM

Awesome thread. I didn't know the HW1 was so cheap. I'll have to get one Cheesy
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 07:20:47 PM

Awesome thread. I didn't know the HW1 was so cheap. I'll have to get one Cheesy

thanks. yes alot of devices have a fair price. in the next years there will be a bunch of cheap&secure devices.

thebitcoinquiz.com

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 12:16:36 AM

Really thanks for this thread. I never knew these kinds of things existed. Waiting for the in development things to come out.

Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 09:05:30 AM

added: ewallet.

LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 09:09:09 AM

added: LedgerBlue

goozman96

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 06:36:12 AM

You should probably mention what kind of a reputation black arrow has...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=456691

And it's not open source. It claims it is, but I don't see a link to the source anywhere.

BTC: 19DKtsdGfQyFzNiEze9KuFQrWGiLDvg6F1 | LTC: LbV6UGyjYbVP49NvQFmuAnkADcaFYvNagK | NMC: NDCdMJmTmGH54Cezmo3CwSxAC7grAoZJbj
CoinTop

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 07:55:43 AM

I may invest into one of these.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 01:23:01 PM

You should probably mention what kind of a reputation black arrow has...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=456691

And it's not open source. It claims it is, but I don't see a link to the source anywhere.

I also suggest to remove it or add a note. Not only because of the reputation of BlackArrow but:

1) Exact replica of Trezor. Only changed the way it looked.
2) There might be a license issue. http://satoshilabs.com/news/2015-01-30-trezor-software-license/

GreatBug

Activity: 629
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 10:35:58 PM

Also missing BWallet:
    http://www.coincola.com/shops/54c1fc24963d3759182b2c7f?locale=en
GreatBug

Activity: 629
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 10:40:58 PM

Not sure what the license issue might be.  Its GPLv3.
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2015, 06:05:17 AM

Are you sure about listing BWallet? BWallet Review by a Trezor Developer - slush

Not sure what the license issue might be.  Its GPLv3.

They changed the TREZOR firmware license from “completely open-source” (LGPLv3) to “shared-source” (Ms-RSL)(copy-paste from Trezor website - don't want to rephrase it). I saw it first on reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2ygong/ewallet_trezor_compatible_hardware_wallet_just/#cp9ehco

gravitate
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 08:07:28 AM

e Wallet has digital displaty>?

To peel or not to peel.
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2015, 06:01:01 PM

thx for the feedback. the part with the firmware is a big hassle and i deleted it. before you buy some of these devices, make a proper background check.

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2015, 06:28:29 PM

thx for the feedback.

You are welcome!

the part with the firmware is a big hassle and i deleted it.

Which wallet review did you delete? I still can see eWallet.

before you buy some of these devices, make a proper background check.

I think it is better to add this as a note to OP. Something like, "Before you buy a device, make a proper background check. You should make your own due diligence".

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: