Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:22:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OVERVIEW: BITCOIN HARDWARE WALLETS █████████████████ Secure your Coins  (Read 122191 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 06:40:59 PM

LiteCoinGuy

I went to take a look at their website: digitalbitbox.com, looks like an interesting product!

I like the use of the chip (like Ledger I suppose), I also like the fact that they say it will be simple and that there will be no firmware updates.  Both my Ledger Nano and Trezor are asking me to update firmware... 

I look forward to finding out how much it will cost and become available.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcspry

Activity: 132
Merit: 17

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 03:39:17 AM

Would anyone here buy a disposable hardware wallet that is programmed ONCE, and then cannot be programmed with a different private key.  Instead, you just toss it and buy a new one if you want a different address.  It would only have a single address, but I could still see this having some use.

It would only cost maybe $5 per wallet, so you could have 5 of them for pretty cheap, and then just get a new one if you need a new address (they wouldn't be HD, obviously).  It would be like the old paper wallets, but way easier and more secure to spend from.  Would anyone buy it?

Update: Join the discussion here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1096923.0
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 06:59:20 AM

How can I use this card then?
You go to your local Bitcoin merchant, touch the card to his phone and give your PIN code.

The third time you go to the same merchant no PIN code will be required and you can simply swipe your card like Will Smith did in I, Robot.
(Don't worry it's still safe as there are various checks and limits in place)

If he/she does not have the required app show him/her the QR code on the front of the card.
Tell him/her it will make the Bitcoin payments faster, easier and more robust against internet interruptions.
(For the moment this is for NFC enabled Android phones only)
Doesn't that limit the usage of this card?
I'm not entirely sure which part you refer to.

Of course with a fully open source protocol and terminal app one way or the other I expect an IPhone app down the line - eventually even purpose built POS systems.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
btchip

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 03:18:32 PM

Fidesmo is considering offering open Yubikey Neos on which you'll be able to download your own Java Card Bitcoin Hardware Wallets or buy one.

Two implementations are already available : Ledger and SatoChip - I'd also be interested to add a Java Card implementation of BlosTech's design on our wallet.

If you're interested (everyone should be  Grin) just let them know

Realpra

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 03:59:29 PM

Two implementations are already available : Ledger and SatoChip - I'd also be interested to add a Java Card implementation of BloschTech's design on our wallet.
Sounds cool.

My card's code is not in Java unfortunately (ZC Basic), but anyone is welcome to build a java implementation on the protocol - I was hoping/planning for a diverse ecosystem when I designed it Smiley

btchip

Activity: 623

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 04:00:55 PM

Yes I browsed it very quickly, some points are still not clear (confirmation of the change, confirmation code ...) but I'll make a more detailed post after spending more time on it. Thanks for the effort and publishing it already.

LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2015, 06:20:14 PM

LiteCoinGuy

I went to take a look at their website: digitalbitbox.com, looks like an interesting product!

I like the use of the chip (like Ledger I suppose), I also like the fact that they say it will be simple and that there will be no firmware updates.  Both my Ledger Nano and Trezor are asking me to update firmware... 

i would estimate that it will cost 20-40 Euro/Dollar. no firmware updates would be cool indeed.

Bitcoin Explorer

Activity: 854

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 06:54:59 PM

How can I use this card then?
You go to your local Bitcoin merchant, touch the card to his phone and give your PIN code.

The third time you go to the same merchant no PIN code will be required and you can simply swipe your card like Will Smith did in I, Robot.
(Don't worry it's still safe as there are various checks and limits in place)

If he/she does not have the required app show him/her the QR code on the front of the card.
Tell him/her it will make the Bitcoin payments faster, easier and more robust against internet interruptions.
(For the moment this is for NFC enabled Android phones only)
Doesn't that limit the usage of this card?
I'm not entirely sure which part you refer to.

Of course with a fully open source protocol and terminal app one way or the other I expect an IPhone app down the line - eventually even purpose built POS systems.
Not every phone has NFC
And, that limits the usage in my views

Realpra

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 07:36:10 PM

Not every phone has NFC
Ah yes that is true.

However only 64% of Americans even have a smartphone of any kind. A smaller number have internet access and a mobile camera on their phone.
Maybe 50% of Americans have both. Then some of this number will not have the technical skills to use apps.

So my card has a larger potential market than all mobile wallet apps... and that is just the wealthy tech savy Americans, the numbers will be even lower for 2nd and 3rd world countries.

With my system only the merchant needs a smartphone.

+ my system is more secure and faster than a mobile wallet (because my app can see the TX while sending it).
My system can also work during periods of no internet connectivty what-so-ever due to card side caching of TX data.

Everything has limits, I'm quite happy with mine Smiley

Bitcoin Explorer

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 08:00:09 PM

Not every phone has NFC
Ah yes that is true.

However only 64% of Americans even have a smartphone of any kind. A smaller number have internet access and a mobile camera on their phone.
Maybe 50% of Americans have both. Then some of this number will not have the technical skills to use apps.

So my card has a larger potential market than all mobile wallet apps... and that is just the wealthy tech savy Americans, the numbers will be even lower for 2nd and 3rd world countries.

With my system only the merchant needs a smartphone.

+ my system is more secure and faster than a mobile wallet (because my app can see the TX while sending it).
My system can also work during periods of no internet connectivty what-so-ever due to card side caching of TX data.

Everything has limits, I'm quite happy with mine Smiley
Alright, I didn't mean to criticise though. I just mentioned a drawback.
All the very best with your product Cheesy

Scamc0p

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 08:06:47 PM

Was looking at the ledger while looking for more info about trezor months ago.

Does anyone know if the blue exists yet?
[
OROBTC
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 01:32:19 AM

LiteCoinGuy

I like the use of the chip (like Ledger I suppose), I also like the fact that they say it will be simple and that there will be no firmware updates.  Both my Ledger Nano and Trezor are asking me to update firmware...  

i would estimate that it will cost 20-40 Euro/Dollar. no firmware updates would be cool indeed.

That price range is very reasonable, I hope that it is priced so.

As a general rule, simplicity is something I admire and like in such products.  Firmware updates are not only a hassle (mild, we hope), but introduce risks, I believe some people had problems with a Trezor firmware update (I did not do the update).  "A BTC wallet for the rest of us!"
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2015, 05:46:49 AM

simplicity is king and it should be cheap. i would like to see a wallet for 5 - 8 € in one or two years. that would be a good way to secure the coins of alot of people.

Bitcoin Explorer

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 06:31:54 AM

simplicity is king and it should be cheap. i would like to see a wallet for 5 - 8 € in one or two years. that would be a good way to secure the coins of alot of people.
In addition to this, this will lead to mass adoption of hardware wallets which u feel is quite necessary. The HW1 has done quite a good job on the price. Though,  I'm anticipating cheaper hardware wallets :d

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2015, 06:56:32 AM

Was looking at the ledger while looking for more info about trezor months ago.

Does anyone know if the blue exists yet?
[[ img]https://i.imgur.com/LZaHp5J.png[/img]

You can check in OP about the status of development. Ledger Blue is under development.

-snip-

That price range is very reasonable, I hope that it is priced so.

As a general rule, simplicity is something I admire and like in such products.  Firmware updates are not only a hassle (mild, we hope), but introduce risks, I believe some people had problems with a Trezor firmware update (I did not do the update).  "A BTC wallet for the rest of us!"

Not always. Sometimes updating firmware are mandatory. For example, if a flaw is found, you should update firmware to prevent any possible attacks. If it doesn't allow firmware updates, you will need to buy a new one with latest firmware if such a thing happen. IMHO making firmware update as optional is better than no firmware update.

OROBTC
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 03:03:10 PM

Well, I hear you, M.Z. (re sometimes firmware updates maybe being necessary), but I would think that some companies could design and make a cheap & reliable hardware wallet that would never require any updates.

OK, I do not program, but would it not be possible to design a device and write bulletproof software for a simple device? 

Simple, reliable, tough & cheap: is that too much to ask?  Smiley

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2015, 03:10:13 PM

Well, I hear you, M.Z. (re sometimes firmware updates maybe being necessary), but I would think that some companies could design and make a cheap & reliable hardware wallet that would never require any updates.

OK, I do not program, but would it not be possible to design a device and write bulletproof software for a simple device? 

Simple, reliable, tough & cheap: is that too much to ask?  Smiley

What is now 'bulletproof' may not be a 'bulletproof' tomorrow. Smiley

dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 05:58:08 AM

BitExchange to release new hardware wallet soon:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1103030.msg11740622#msg11740622

Though yet no information on their website, does anybody know any details?

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
noel57

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 07:10:58 AM

This is a great source of information and more importantly we can compare their prices, OP you are doing a great job, please keep it up and thank you for sharing.

LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 05:43:34 PM

This is a great source of information and more importantly we can compare their prices, OP you are doing a great job, please keep it up and thank you for sharing.

thank you very much  Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: