Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:32:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ukraine bans fiat currency  (Read 2218 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 12:08:25 PM

Could be misinterpreted. Probably what they mean is totally different. If they don't accept fiat currency in Hryvnia doesn't mean that they won't accept payment in other fiat currency to convert to btc. Euro should be the choice.

I'm pretty sure the euro is not accepted on the Bitcoin blockchain either.

no, bitcoin only  Wink

This.

Wow, that went over almost everyone's head.

You can't send fiat over the Bitcoin network people! And you can't send bitcoin over the bank fiat network (try it, I'm sure your bank's manager will be confused when you hold up your private key and ask to send bitcoins to another bank over ACH or SEPA).

The original warning was from the Ukraine Central Bank saying they would not allow Bitcoin to be sent over their banking networks (I just changed bitcoin to fiat and vice versa). And yet this was translated by all articles to "Ukraine bans Bitcoin?". Even Ecuador where everyone has been convinced that Bitcoin is banned, the actual law states that it is illegal to send cryptocurrency over their national fiat payment network (not only is it illegal, it is physically impossible).

A little lesson: Banks banning bitcoins from their banks does not equal Bitcoins are illegal. McDonalds banning Burger King hamburgers from their restaurants does not equal Burger King hamburgers are illegal.

The Central Bank made the "announcement" on Facebook for God's sake...if Facebook posts can make things illegal, we will all be forced to buy kittens and puppies.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 01:54:41 PM

You would think they have bigger fish to fry over there than bitcoin vs fiat issues. Like protecting their consumers from the Russians.

Actually, the hryvnia is the 3rd worst performing currency of 2014...
With the #1 spot held by Bitcoin... which is down from $800 to $300 or > 60%.

This forum should pull it's head out of the sand... and be asking HARD QUESTIONS about Bitcoin...
And why it's performing like the currency of a bankrupt country invaded by Russia.

Where you got this datas from? I assume you use only official government fiat currencies. I cant believe there was none of such currencies that lost more then 60% of its value.
Vessko

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 05:24:14 PM

I cant believe there was none of such currencies that lost more then 60% of its value.

There are, two of them - that's why he said that BTC is the 3rd worst. The Russian ruble has bounced off the bottom, so it is now "only" 78.5% down (compared to the US dollar) for the past 12 months. The Ukrainian currency is down 94.9%. The closest crappy currency is the Argentinian peso, down "only" 33.2% for the last 12 months.
exoton

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 05:31:15 PM

I cant believe there was none of such currencies that lost more then 60% of its value.

There are, two of them - that's why he said that BTC is the 3rd worst. The Russian ruble has bounced off the bottom, so it is now "only" 78.5% down (compared to the US dollar) for the past 12 months. The Ukrainian currency is down 94.9%. The closest crappy currency is the Argentinian peso, down "only" 33.2% for the last 12 months.
Well the difference between bitcoin and the other two currencies is that bitcoin is coming off a very strong previous year (going from ~$10 to ~$1,000 as of the end of 2013). On the other hand Both Russia's and Ukraine's currency was more or less stable (or declining) in 2013 and previous years.
Dalyb

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 05:42:14 PM

What is fiat?  Lips sealed
yrask

Activity: 153

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 06:04:21 PM

That's perfect ! In this way maybe Ukrain could be accept Bitcoin for payment and bitcoin price will raise over to 5.000$ ! Goood to hear it !

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 06:18:34 PM

What is fiat?  Lips sealed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGk5ioEXlIM
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 10:36:59 PM

Funny how in Russia, the ruble has dropped massively even though BTC is officially outlawed.

Folks exchange the ruble for USD or IKEA furniture, creating price bubbles. It is like it is, protecting something that has no value from dropping, is very difficult. Governments would be well advised to embrace crypto, as a way out of the fiat nightmare!!!  Grin

It is time to give people a choice what currency or money to transact in, instead of creating pieces of paper like little children do, when they play grocery store.

Truth is the new hatespeech.
dKingston

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

LAUNDER BITCOIN: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 11:11:10 PM

ukrainians are moving into bitcoin, as are russians .. means price is headed for a major spike

LAUNDER & ANONYMIZE YOUR BITCOIN:
https://www.BitLaunder.com/?aid=41
caga

Activity: 238

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 12:00:29 AM

ukrainians are moving into bitcoin, as are russians .. means price is headed for a major spike
I thought even bitcoins are banned in Ukraine:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2luxm5/ukraine_bans_bitcoin/

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 04:32:16 PM

So it seems those currencies had good year. Next year will have for sure more of such.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2014, 04:58:54 PM

I thought even bitcoins are banned in Ukraine:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2luxm5/ukraine_bans_bitcoin/

Bitcoins are banned from the fiat payment system.

Such games they play. I also heard that e-mail is banned from postal delivery.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
21pilot

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 05:03:54 PM

The fiat currency Hryvnia can not be used in Ukraine as a means of payment on the Bitcoin network.

Confusing. I'm guessing that they mean you are not allowed to buy bitcoin with fiat?

No, you cannot send fiat currency over the Bitcoin blockchain.

What Huh
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2014, 05:18:03 PM

The fiat currency Hryvnia can not be used in Ukraine as a means of payment on the Bitcoin network.

Confusing. I'm guessing that they mean you are not allowed to buy bitcoin with fiat?

What Huh

I know, crazy right? I pushed a dollar into my USB slot and opened my Bitcoin wallet and everything.

21pilot

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 05:36:32 PM

What Huh

I know, crazy right? I pushed a dollar into my USB slot and opened my Bitcoin wallet and everything.

Instructions unclear, got $100 stuck in USB slot.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: