Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:57:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: STOP selling bitcoin on MtGox, b/c there's virtually no way to withdraw it  (Read 14701 times)
chungenhung (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 04:38:07 PM

I would like to ask the community to stop selling Bitcoins on MtGox, as there are no easy method to withdraw the USD.
Dwolla is taking forever, and their Wire service cost $40, and no word on how long it will take. DeathAndTexas has indicated that they haven't processed his Wire transfer yet, and it's been 19+days.

This sounds like a huge scam to me. Operate an exchange site, but no way to withdraw your USD. For all I know, they can be hoarding the USD, and disappear one day.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 04:47:08 PM

You are 'Pissing in the Wind' my friend....

If the fucking morons in this community can't be convinced to HOLD their funds rather than invest in an imaginary product TODAY @ 100%, with cash up front....based on nothing but a promise/slash/paper-release....then how do you suppose you would get results from a plea such as this, considering the turn around for this shit service can still be measures in days, rather than half years or months ?

Greed is a dangerous thing Wink

EuSouBitcoin

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 07:17:51 PM

Looking at USD exchanges on Bitcoincharts.com I see Mt Gox has the highest price. I can understand why the sellers want to sell at the exchange with the highest price. But then they find they have trouble withdrawing the USD in a timely fashion. However, I'm wondering why are the buyers buying at the highest price when there are several other exchanges with lower prices? Certainly one of those would have a way that they can deposit USD. Why do you think the buyers keep buying at Mt Gox?

You can't win if you don't play. But you can't play if you lose all your chips. First I found bitcoin (BTC). Then I found something better, Monero (XMR). See GetMonero.org
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 07:52:01 PM

Why would I want to withdraw in dollars? When I want something I buy it with BTC. That's why I bought them with dollars in the first place.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
chungenhung (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 07:53:43 PM

Why would I want to withdraw in dollars? When I want something I buy it with BTC. That's why I bought them with dollars in the first place.
When you sell some coins to cover the cost of the mining operation? I would like to pay my electric company in BTC, but they don't accept that.
EuSouBitcoin

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 08:55:55 PM

Not all merchants accept BTC yet. And just as I sometimes have need to convert USD to EUR GBP JPY etc, it's good for a currency if you can easily convert it to other currencies. Therefore, I think it's important to have the ability to convert BTC in other currencies quickly and easily. You'd be amazed at how many merchants still accept fiat currencies as payment.

You can't win if you don't play. But you can't play if you lose all your chips. First I found bitcoin (BTC). Then I found something better, Monero (XMR). See GetMonero.org
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 09:10:37 PM

Not all merchants accept BTC yet. And just as I sometimes have need to convert USD to EUR GBP JPY etc, it's good for a currency if you can easily convert it to other currencies. Therefore, I think it's important to have the ability to convert BTC in other currencies quickly and easily. You'd be amazed at how many merchants still accept fiat currencies as payment.

lol
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 09:36:47 PM

Looking at USD exchanges on Bitcoincharts.com I see Mt Gox has the highest price. I can understand why the sellers want to sell at the exchange with the highest price. But then they find they have trouble withdrawing the USD in a timely fashion. However, I'm wondering why are the buyers buying at the highest price when there are several other exchanges with lower prices? Certainly one of those would have a way that they can deposit USD. Why do you think the buyers keep buying at Mt Gox?

The higher volume makes MtGox more attractive to people wanting to launder money.  They don't care about buying at a higher price as long as they can get their Bitcoins out quickly, and they're still taking less of a loss than they would be if they used conventional means of money laundering.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
EuSouBitcoin

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 09:49:29 PM

Certainly volume is Mt Gox's strength. But for BTC/USD traders one basic requirement is to be able to transfer USD in and out of the exchange within a reasonable amount of time. For a lot of BTC/USD traders here on the forum that's where Mt Gox has been lacking recently. With bank wires being expensive and both bank wires and dwolla being slow, traders are starting to look elsewhere. For those in the US, I'd suggest looking at BitFloor, CampBX and Intersango in that order. If this were a horse race, my money would be on BitFloor who's doing a lot of things the right way.

Mt.Gox Support
VIP

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 01:27:54 AM
Last edit: June 28, 2012, 01:48:55 AM by Mt.Gox Support

I would like to ask the community to stop selling Bitcoins on MtGox, as there are no easy method to withdraw the USD.
Dwolla is taking forever, and their Wire service cost $40, and no word on how long it will take. DeathAndTexas has indicated that they haven't processed his Wire transfer yet, and it's been 19+days.

This sounds like a huge scam to me. Operate an exchange site, but no way to withdraw your USD. For all I know, they can be hoarding the USD, and disappear one day.

You accusation are just wrong and borderline lies.

YES Withdrawals are slow when it comes to DWOLLA but we have been clear on this forum on the reasons why many times, please check by yourself. As for Wire fees? Guess what? We do not make the rules on how much they cost, Banks does! And please remember that we are based in Japan and not in the USA explaining why these cost are expensive! Also please note that it is only affecting USD Withdrawals and not other currencies.

As we stated many times we are working on a solution but here as well it takes times since we have to deal with good old fashion banks and rules that hate having people poking around their lucrative system. We truely understand everyone's frustration and anger, we are really working hard to get this sorted out soon. But to tell you the truth any single time a Bank or a Organization have an opportunity to slow us down they will!
Mt.Gox is one of the Oldest Exchange on the market and after being thru hell over and over we are still here! Check what happen to others? TradeHill for example the 2nd largest exchange and our best "Nemesis" was somehow forced out (Read the forum and you will know the reasons), Bitconica and its brilliant concept is now closed and a lot of people are still waiting to get this over with.

So yes, we understand this situation is not perfect, but try, if you can, to understand the particularity of the Bitcoin situation itself you may start to understand the work load we have and how hard it is. Sure just open a Exchange tomorrow run it yourself with a few customers and well you will be safe, then your volume will pick-up eventually and you will see how things are.

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions : https://mtgox.com/merchant
chungenhung (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 02:02:24 AM

YES Withdrawals are slow when it comes to DWOLLA but we have been clear on this forum on the reasons why many times, please check by yourself. As for Wire fees? Guess what? We do not make the rules on how much they cost, Banks does! And please remember that we are based in Japan and not in the USA explaining why these cost are expensive! Also please note that it is only affecting USD Withdrawals and not other currencies.

As we stated many times we are working on a solution but here as well it takes times since we have to deal with good old fashion banks and rules that hate having people poking around their lucrative system. We truely understand everyone's frustration and anger, we are really working hard to get this sorted out soon. But to tell you the truth any single time a Bank or a Organization have an opportunity to slow us down they will!
Mt.Gox is one of the Oldest Exchange on the market and after being thru hell over and over we are still here! Check what happen to others? TradeHill for example the 2nd largest exchange and our best "Nemesis" was somehow forced out (Read the forum and you will know the reasons), Bitconica and its brilliant concept is now closed and a lot of people are still waiting to get this over with.

So yes, we understand this situation is not perfect, but try, if you can, to understand the particularity of the Bitcoin situation itself you may start to understand the work load we have and how hard it is. Sure just open a Exchange tomorrow run it yourself with a few customers and well you will be safe, then your volume will pick-up eventually and you will see how things are.
So can you answer whether Dwolla withdrawals are still possible or not? If not, why not remove it from the website? It is false advertising.
I have a pending Dwolla transfer, if it is IMPOSSIBLE at this time, then I would like my funds back. I only traded on MtGox on the assumption that I can withdraw the USD by Dwolla.

While you may not set the fees for WIRE transfer, but how do you explain why it takes over 19 days to do it?
Mt.Gox Support
VIP

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 02:13:06 AM

So can you answer whether Dwolla withdrawals are still possible or not? If not, why not remove it from the website? It is false advertising.
I have a pending Dwolla transfer, if it is IMPOSSIBLE at this time, then I would like my funds back. I only traded on MtGox on the assumption that I can withdraw the USD by Dwolla.

While you may not set the fees for WIRE transfer, but how do you explain why it takes over 19 days to do it?

I am not sure how I can make it more clear, YES DWOLLA withdrawals are still possible, they are just long I believe that a user replied to you on this already https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87320.msg994648#msg994648

Why WIRE transfer take time? As we posted on this forum already only 5% of them are affected. Now why Wire are taking time, well this as well as been explained here on the forum. It really depends on the amount you are wiring and the frequency. I am not sure if you are aware of that fact but the US government like to check international wire and wires (even several ones) to the same account around 10,000 USD will trigger a check from your beloved government. No since we are talking about Bitcoin here somehow you will quickly realize that they are really good at checking things. This explain why 5% of our international Wire in USD are touched.

chungenhung (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 02:20:27 AM

a user replied to me, not MtGox. Don't you think MtGox should be replying instead of relying on users to answer customer's questions?
Plus, I had no idea it is still possible, as the user posted it was completed, as in PAST tense. How am I supposed to know if it is still possible NOW without MtGox saying it explicitly?

Yes, gov likes to check into $10k transfers, but from what I gather on this forum, is that is takes a long time regardless of amount. It would be nice if MtGox came out straight and say only 5% of customers are affected and why.
Mt.Gox Support
VIP

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 02:26:34 AM

a user replied to me, not MtGox. Don't you think MtGox should be replying instead of relying on users to answer customer's questions?
Plus, I had no idea it is still possible, as the user posted it was completed, as in PAST tense. How am I supposed to know if it is still possible NOW without MtGox saying it explicitly?

Well it seems that you doubt whatever we said, so I thought that you would be more inclined in believing someone else experience on the forum? If Dwolla withdrawal were not possible anymore we would automatically remove this option, so far it still works.

Yes, gov likes to check into $10k transfers, but from what I gather on this forum, is that is takes a long time regardless of amount. It would be nice if MtGox came out straight and say only 5% of customers are affected and why.

Have you read this ? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87086.0

sgravina

Activity: 451

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 02:37:44 AM

I made a $900 withdrawal in 11 days.  An awfully long time but not impossible.

I don't mind the delay so much as not knowing what the delay is.  As it is I can't plan.

Is there anyway to tell me when my withdrawal will complete?

Sam
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2012, 02:45:01 AM

Guys, use an alternative exchange like Intersango. They process same-day withdrawals and deposits.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 03:59:06 AM

There is a thread on a gambling forum I frequent where a guy won 25k betting sports and has to pay $700 for a wire...... $40 wires are standard. I requested 2k from bodog and it took a month to get a weird cheque from the phillipines ie from the other side of the world.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2012, 04:17:43 AM

I am not sure if you are aware of that fact but the US government like to check international wire and wires (even several ones) to the same account around 10,000 USD will trigger a check from your beloved government.

I have pressed, but never gotten a credible answer, as to why MtGox cannot just wire the funds and let the recipient bear the risk that their beloved government will delay them.  At least MtGox would have a solid reply: "Look, we sent the funds on XX/XX/2012, here is the reference number and a copy of the proof we initiated it.  It is out of our hands now."

If I knew money had been sent my way and that they were being "investigated", I'd be fine with that, knowing that I'm not a criminal and that the funds would eventually make it to me.  I'd be far more fine with that versus the funds never having been sent, which is what seems to be the case with all of the wire-related complaints on the forum.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
dirtycat

Activity: 456

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 04:22:40 AM

I stopped using mtgox for withdrawing funds long ago.. the service awful.  I hope more people wake up and take their business elsewhere.

poop!
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 05:32:07 AM

There is a thread on a gambling forum I frequent where a guy won 25k betting sports and has to pay $700 for a wire...... $40 wires are standard. I requested 2k from bodog and it took a month to get a weird cheque from the phillipines ie from the other side of the world.

That's because of the way that payment processors route payments in order to try to get around online gambling laws.  There were millions of dollars frozen in offshore payment processor accounts when the US DoJ cracked down on online gambling.

I have pressed, but never gotten a credible answer, as to why MtGox cannot just wire the funds and let the recipient bear the risk that their beloved government will delay them.  At least MtGox would have a solid reply: "Look, we sent the funds on XX/XX/2012, here is the reference number and a copy of the proof we initiated it.  It is out of our hands now."

If I knew money had been sent my way and that they were being "investigated", I'd be fine with that, knowing that I'm not a criminal and that the funds would eventually make it to me.  I'd be far more fine with that versus the funds never having been sent, which is what seems to be the case with all of the wire-related complaints on the forum.

This can be a difficult problem.  Many nations have AML/CTF laws which prevent "tipping off" which essentially means that you're not allowed to tell a customer that you regard a transaction as suspicious or that it's been reported as a suspicious matter.  You can ask them about the origin and the destination of the funds, but that's about it.  This becomes complicated if you go to wire money and the bank then wants enhanced KYC information on your customer. 

The bank is perfectly within its rights to refuse any transaction for any reason, but it can certainly refuse to process a transaction until adequate KYC information has been provided - but because of the laws against tipping off, when this situation occurs the originating FSP/MSB has to be extremely careful about what information they disclose to the customer.

Transactions which have the appearance of structuring or which raise that money is being sent to fake account holders create another bureaucratic nightmare - service providers once again have to try to determine the legitimacy of the transactions without alerting the customer to any investigation (there's no actual law against dividing up transactions but they have to investigate it for possible AML activity and report it if they cannot establish legitimacy).

If you read the cases where financial services providers have been fined in the millions of dollars for non-compliance with AML/CTF/KYC regulations, it's an eye-opener just how much FSPs are required to monitor customer transactions on an on-going basis and the extent to which they're expected to investigate anything even vaguely "suspicious".

Mt Gox is stuck with multiple AML/KYC requirements.  They have to create their own framework under Japanese law and comply with that.  They must also comply with the requirements of Dwolla and other payment processors and additionally they need to comply with the requirements of their banks.  These will not always mesh seamlessly as the broad principals of AML/KYC/CTF regulations are similar in FATF countries but each individual financial services provider develops their own way of implementing them.

In addition to any AML/KYC/CTF requirements, any FPS also needs to have algorithms which identify possibly fraudulent transactions.  It's not hard to see why 5% of transactions can end up being flagged for one reason or another and when you're moving millions of dollars each month that means that hundreds of thousands can get tied up for varying periods of time.

This isn't unique to Bitcoin exchanges.  Stored value of any kind has become a major magnet for fraud and money laundering and payment processors are starting to freeze accounts through which people are moving larger amounts than would reasonably be expected.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: