Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:25:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: LightWallet - a lightweight account manager for Monero  (Read 6868 times)
jwinterm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1103

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 09:35:18 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2017, 02:39:10 PM by jwinterm

lightWallet
Update: 2017-01-07 LightWallet is no longer being maintained, and is expected to stop working after the upcoming hardfork enabling RingCT. Please use the official GUI for now (which also works with a remote node), or wait for another third party GUI by Jaxx or someone else to be released soon.

Update: 2017-01-07 LightWallet is no longer being maintained, and is expected to stop working after the upcoming hardfork enabling RingCT. Please use the official GUI for now (which also works with a remote node), or wait for another third party GUI by Jaxx or someone else to be released soon.

Update: 2016-01-28

LightWallet is a lightweight GUI wrapper for simplewallet written in Java using the Libgdx library.

The source code is available here: https://github.com/jwinterm/LightWallet2 Please check out the README.md file here if you are going to test it out.

The release binary can be downloaded here: https://github.com/jwinterm/LightWallet2/releases I think the jar file should work on any computer with a java virtual machine, and exe is just for Windows. You need to have simplewallet and necessary dlls in the same folder as LightWallet to run the program.

In this release the language is automatically selected as English.

Screenshots from latest build:
Daemon tab:

Balance tab:

Transfer tab:

Please let me know if you have any feedback, suggestions, questions, etc. I'd be glad to hear Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 10:52:55 PM

Given that you are using kivy (I think) for the UI part, which supports Linux, Windows, OS X, Android and iOS, is here a reason this is limited to Windows?
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 02:25:25 AM

looking great Smiley

I think i'll actually use this until a new DB is released. I like running a full node Smiley
But I'll recommand this to new users in the future. Webwallet is also a possibility, but tour  wallet is a little more safe because you can run it offline.
jwinterm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 03:59:30 PM

Given that you are using kivy (I think) for the UI part, which supports Linux, Windows, OS X, Android and iOS, is here a reason this is limited to Windows?

Not really. It should work on linux and mac with very minor modifications, I think, but the idea was to just get a working binary for windows produced that people could use as easily as possible (single exe file with no bitmonerod running). For linux, I'm not sure it really makes sense to compile a binary, or how tricky it would be to compile a binary that would work on different distributions. For OSX, I've never used mac before, and the way pyinstaller works (to generate the binary), you have to compile on the system you're targeting, so I'd need to pirate OSX and do it in a virtual machine or something. I'll try in a week or so (when I get back home) to run it in debian and see how much tweaking it needs...
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 01:51:03 AM

Not really. It should work on linux and mac with very minor modifications, I think, but the idea was to just get a working binary for windows produced that people could use as easily as possible (single exe file with no bitmonerod running). For linux, I'm not sure it really makes sense to compile a binary, or how tricky it would be to compile a binary that would work on different distributions. For OSX, I've never used mac before, and the way pyinstaller works (to generate the binary), you have to compile on the system you're targeting, so I'd need to pirate OSX and do it in a virtual machine or something. I'll try in a week or so (when I get back home) to run it in debian and see how much tweaking it needs...

It isn't necessarily you that would need to do the actual builds, if the system-dependent source tweaks (if any) are in place.
dloghwak

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 02:34:57 PM

Your default remote node isn't available anymore. I used node.moneroclub.com:8880 instead and it works fine.
jwinterm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 12:33:54 AM
Last edit: April 08, 2015, 02:24:16 PM by jwinterm

Your default remote node isn't available anymore. I used node.moneroclub.com:8880 instead and it works fine.

I know, I've been meaning to update that, I've just been super busy. I promise I'll get to it this weekend, forealsies Smiley

edit: Couple days late...but updated with new node and logo.
Ratatosk

Activity: 263

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 02:48:13 PM

Hi and thank you for the work you did on Monero Lightwallet.
Do you think your last release will be compatible with Monero 0.9 ?
Do you plan to update it ?
jwinterm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 04:28:35 PM

Hi and thank you for the work you did on Monero Lightwallet.
Do you think your last release will be compatible with Monero 0.9 ?
Do you plan to update it ?

I think it should work just as well with v0.9, since it just uses the rpc interface, and afaik there won't be any breaking changes.

I don't have much plans to update it at the moment. I kind of wrote it just as an exercise in learning Kivy, the Python package that the GUI is using. I am now more interested in learning Libgdx, which is a Java package that allows easy deployment to android and ios, so maybe someday I'll rework it into a Java app.

Are there remote nodes that are still working now?
Ratatosk

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 05:06:03 PM

Thank you :-)

I can't answer to your question, because I did not yet installed your Lightwallet, sorry.

Another question, I now use MoneroX, once MoneroX closed, is it safe to install and launch your Lightallet, no risk of loosing Something, will it open my Monero wallet created with MoneroX ? Lightwallet is going to use and update the same database on disk drive as MoneroX ? Can we switch to your wallet to MoneroX, anytime with no problem ?

jwinterm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 05:07:49 PM

Thank you :-)

I can't answer to your question, because I did not yet installed your Lightwallet, sorry.

Another question, I now use MoneroX, once MoneroX closed, is it safe to install and launch your Lightallet, no risk of loosing Something, will it open my Monero wallet created with MoneroX ? Lightwallet is going to use and update the same database on disk drive as MoneroX ? Can we switch to your wallet to MoneroX, anytime with no problem ?

Just always keep a couple backups of your keys file, like on separate drives, on a usb drive, or even in dropbox or something, and you don't risk losing your coins if you remember the password. Also with newer wallets make note of the recovery seed.
Ratatosk

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 09:17:49 PM

Thanks, I did all of that.

After some trials, I definitively love your wallet ! Many thanks for this great work !

I'm not rich, far from that, but send me your XMR address by PM, so I can tip you a few XMR to buy a good Belgian beer somewhere :-)

To answer your past question, if it was about that : your wallet shows me only one green node.moneroclub.com:8880 on daemon tab.

It would be perfect if in the future you enable Open Alias function ;-)

Good job, good luck in your present and future projects, and life !

QuantumQrack

Activity: 337

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 08:44:03 PM

Hi there jwinterm,

The only issue I have is under "Calculated balance:  " it is showing a negative number.  This is connected to localhost with a fully synced daemon.
jwinterm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 08:54:34 PM

Hi there jwinterm,

The only issue I have is under "Calculated balance:  " it is showing a negative number.  This is connected to localhost with a fully synced daemon.

Yea, this is kind of a known issue, I probably should have just removed that field for time being. The program reads simplewallet output while syncing to find your transaction history, but I think it occasionally misses some, thus the negative balance, or i goofed the math somewhere. I'm thinking to just parse the logfile rather than watch output, as that way it should be impossible to miss anything.

The locked and unlocked balances are the ones to go by, and if they're green, that means you should be synced and ready to send transactions.
japerry

Activity: 306

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2016, 12:10:51 PM

Due to network/computer restrictions, I'm unable to run a full node. LightWallet looks great! But I'm wondering... What are the security implications of having LightWallet connect to node.moneroclub.com:8880 rather than your own local instance? Is it any less secure?

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 12:40:31 PM

Due to network/computer restrictions, I'm unable to run a full node. LightWallet looks great! But I'm wondering... What are the security implications of having LightWallet connect to node.moneroclub.com:8880 rather than your own local instance? Is it any less secure?

The main thing is giving up a lot of your privacy. The remote node could theoretically log all the transactions you receive and send, and also log your IP address (unless you use Tor, but then you are connecting through an exit node which raises other issues).

In terms of security from the perspective of losing coins there is little to no risk, as your private keys remain entirely on your own computer. The main thing is that the remote node could, in theory, serve up fake blockchain information to you and trick you into thinking you received a payment when you really didn't. If you then delivered on your end of a trade on the basis of that false payment information, you could lose money. That's pretty far fetched though, and in practice there is little risk of losing funds.
Sasha00

Activity: 58
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 14, 2016, 06:11:51 PM

Hi people! I downloaded Monero light Wallet but when I try to run it is not anything going on. A site virustotal generally defines a virus in this file. What should I do? Huh
jwinterm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2016, 08:34:51 PM

Hi people! I downloaded Monero light Wallet but when I try to run it is not anything going on. A site virustotal generally defines a virus in this file. What should I do? Huh

Where did you download from? And which file?
Sasha00

Activity: 58
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 14, 2016, 09:53:01 PM

My system is Windows 7 32 bit. I downloaded file from this site: https://getmonero.org/getting-started/choose
jwinterm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 01:25:48 AM

My system is Windows 7 32 bit. I downloaded file from this site: https://getmonero.org/getting-started/choose

Well, I don't know why it would say it's a virus, maybe cause it's a jar stuffed inside an exe, but you can't run it on 32 bit Windows unless you have a 32 bit simplewallet binary to use with it. You have to put simplewallet.exe in the same folder as lightwallet.exe (it's just a gui wrapper for simplewallet).

The release is here:
https://github.com/jwinterm/LightWallet2/releases

I think there are some 32 bit binaries available, just not official ones I don't think.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: