Bitcoin Forum
July 14, 2024, 04:17:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Altcoin(s) will prevail?  (Read 1764 times)
nzminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 11:52:13 PM

I was going to make this a poll, but thought open discussion would be better.

I dont consider 2.0 currencies such as NXT or NEM as a true altcoin, since they are rebuilt from the ground up, however i will include these in the discussion, as i feel such currencies have far more market potential than the majority of altcoins in windows Qt.

Also when i say "prevail" this doesnt necessarily mean that they will hit #1 in market cap, more like being in #2 or #3 to bitcoin.

In another 5 years how many coins will have survived?
Will the good, the bad and the ugly be finally sorted out?

I can see Dogecoin being around for some time, but am unsure of its future.
Any anon coins could very well be a thing of the past with technologies such as night trader and black halo coming to the surface.

Im guessing NXT has a very high chance of getting to #2 and staying there, i dont think litecoin will ever get back to the all time high it had 12 months ago and people will move their investments into coins that have more potential.

Any thoughts?

IDK where Ethereum and Qora will stand in the future.

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]
GoldSeal
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 09:17:07 AM

alt coins won't die as long as speculators accumulate them and they aren't fundamentally broken. On the buy side, it's all speculators. On the sell side, it's all miners using them as a vehicle to get BTC.

I'm betting you will see change once scrypt ASICs become prolific and force those miners to consolidate and eventually move to non-scrypt coins in order to get BTC.

Moving to Puerto Rico...
patmast3r

Activity: 980

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 12:20:51 PM

I think it totally depends on how well they are adopted outside of the cryptosphere. Bitcoin is still not very widespread but any alt that would reach similar adoption would definitely prevail imho. Currently most alts are really just objects of speculation and people use them to make money by trading without any real regard for the innovation that they might bring.

So any alt that is going for wide spread adoption or has the means and feature to become adopted is most likely to prevail.

I'm obviously biased so I'll refrain from actually mentioning specific projects Wink

swansong

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 12:53:43 PM

i think litecoin will have a new all time high and will be around in 5 years.
if (big one) bitcoin will stay around and get new all time highs.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 08:22:03 PM

As previously mentioned Bitcoin's usage is not very wide spread.   We have estimations from banking writers like Jeffrey Robinson who claim there is only as little as 250,000 people using Bitcoin.  To put into perspective, to again reference something Robinson had said, there is more people with club membership at Air Arabia Airlines than people holding Bitcoin in this world.    Even on the higher side of estimations, being 2 million Bitcoiners, there were more people using the internet in the late 1980s than this higher estimation.  It was a regular lie last year when all the hypers and pump and dumpers were claiming this was like the internet in the 1990s (not even remotely close)

Since the numbers are so low it's quite certain, unless Bitcoin beats some other coin to the punch, that somebody will come along and figure out how to achieve exponential user adoption and it won't take 6 years to surpass Bitcoin  - you can get more than 250,000 people in mere weeks to use something if it goes viral and it is considered cool.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 5089

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 09:13:30 PM

As previously mentioned Bitcoin's usage is not very wide spread.   We have estimations from banking writers like Jeffrey Robinson who claim there is only as little as 250,000 people using Bitcoin.  To put into perspective, to again reference something Robinson had said, there is more people with club membership at Air Arabia Airlines than people holding Bitcoin in this world.    Even on the higher side of estimations, being 2 million Bitcoiners, there were more people using the internet in the late 1980s than this higher estimation.  It was a regular lie last year when all the hypers and pump and dumpers were claiming this was like the internet in the 1990s (not even remotely close)

Since the numbers are so low it's quite certain, unless Bitcoin beats some other coin to the punch, that somebody will come along and figure out how to achieve exponential user adoption and it won't take 6 years to surpass Bitcoin  - you can get more than 250,000 people in mere weeks to use something if it goes viral and it is considered cool.

REALLY? all the threads you troll and you picked this one to say something worthy of posting?

Whichever coin gets adopted for the dark market will be $2.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
patmast3r

Activity: 980

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 07:55:42 AM

REALLY? all the threads you troll and you picked this one to say something worthy of posting?

Whichever coin gets adopted for the dark market will be $2.

Grin

menlatin

Activity: 366
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 01:18:11 AM

Yup. You're absolutely right. I'm working on it.

MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 01:51:27 AM
Last edit: December 26, 2014, 06:50:37 PM by MicroGuy

I think the coins that consumers embrace will prevail.

Creating a cryptocurrency is a little like making a musical recording. It's tough to predict which ones will become hit records.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 09:42:11 AM

imo there are no 2.0 cryptos, nxt etc certainly are no improvement on btc when it comes to mass adoption. added to that nxt started with such bad distribution it'll never be fully accepted by the crypto community let alone the general public (and thats without even expressing how insecure it is or the dev replacing himself scam, though admittedly I know nothin of how nxt situation currently is nor do I care).

ltc impresses me more each time, especially not playing the lets panic and add some phoney 'innovation' to pump the value.

ltc out of the alts will hold number 2 if not take out number 1 imo, and this comes from one of the largest ltc trolls (of the past).

HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 11:59:39 AM

imo there are no 2.0 cryptos, nxt etc certainly are no improvement on btc when it comes to mass adoption. added to that nxt started with such bad distribution it'll never be fully accepted by the crypto community let alone the general public (and thats without even expressing how insecure it is or the dev replacing himself scam, though admittedly I know nothin of how nxt situation currently is nor do I care).

ltc impresses me more each time, especially not playing the lets panic and add some phoney 'innovation' to pump the value.

ltc out of the alts will hold number 2 if not take out number 1 imo, and this comes from one of the largest ltc trolls (of the past).

such a ltc hodler

bakedrice

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 12:29:37 PM

what about xrp, stellar, and even via?

snake.in.the.blanket

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 12:43:16 PM

besides all the hash, ltc is shit and everyone knows it lol.
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 12:54:23 PM

if its so shit why does it have all the hash, greatest trade vol of all the alts.....face it its the default alt, and the most accepted. only people backing/pumping their lastest flavor of the day think otherwise and spread all the fud.

ltc has more going for it then any crypto, no anon dev, not created to profit dev, no pump n dump scam, sticks to the trustless system not changing fundamentals on a panic whim.

staying number 1 alt for a reason. the big money flows too it, not this childrens pocket money like most the alts.
nzminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 11:55:06 PM

if its so shit why does it have all the hash, greatest trade vol of all the alts.....face it its the default alt, and the most accepted. only people backing/pumping their lastest flavor of the day think otherwise and spread all the fud.

ltc has more going for it then any crypto, no anon dev, not created to profit dev, no pump n dump scam, sticks to the trustless system not changing fundamentals on a panic whim.

staying number 1 alt for a reason. the big money flows too it, not this childrens pocket money like most the alts.

Because it is the oldest alt and has been around longer than any other alt for a start - thats why its got a higher volume, because it has been around longer and had more exposure.

There is nothing unique about LTC to make me invest in it.
Its basically BTC with a higher amount of coins and SCRYPT mining and a shorter confirmation time.
Mainly being dumped by many into BTC in its early days.

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]
rocoro
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 12:13:21 AM

prevailcoin ?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 5089

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 03:06:27 AM

Because it is the oldest alt and has been around longer than any other alt for a start - thats why its got a higher volume, because it has been around longer and had more exposure.

Its basically BTC with a higher amount of coins and SCRYPT mining and a shorter confirmation time.

Wrong. I think this was the first AltCoin.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCYQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D82NPt6UIxCA&ei=qyGeVITDN4GKNqOwhNgN&usg=AFQjCNFs70GvbtMKmeZ6oJ-vGgEG26A_7w&sig2=J-tKL98HGyIubCQrEipE7Q&bvm=bv.82001339,d.eXY

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Hollowman338
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:49:52 AM

NXT and the SuperNET will crush what is left of the shit v1.0 altcoins.

..and litecoin?  rofl, seriously?  Soon to be extinct.

all this comes from a guy who HATED NXT because I wasn't around for the IPO.  But guess what, most of the big IPO contributors already sold, and the innovation in that coin already turned ME.  If you only knew the power of the NXT side  Cool
juicyjuice87

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 06:21:24 AM

Nxt and SuperNET do look to soon be the winners
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 06:56:49 AM
Last edit: December 27, 2014, 07:13:46 AM by kelsey

Do your research before mouthing off ...ltc is not the oldest alt and has not been around longer then any other alts, few years back ltc wasn't even the most successful alt either....go look at old exchange data (from memory it sat around 5th for ages).

How did it rise to 2nd? DYOR

You guys been conned by all the scammers around here sprouting their innovation line to push their latest scam. Now even if they were innovation (which I am yet to see any real world useful innovation above btc), its not innovation that makes a currency.

How innovative is the USD, or GOLD  Roll Eyes

Here is Australia we have the most innovative currencies (isn't most of the world still using old fashion paper notes?), also most innovative banking technologies (as an early test bed to many technologies due to being like other western nations but a rather small population and a our remoteness), none of that helps our currency on global exchanges.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: