Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:19:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OMG did I just loose $4000? electrum not working on mac!  (Read 5982 times)
steakpie13 (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 05:39:16 AM

http://i.gyazo.com/0bad1a717bb7160c54e97391a1d6244d.png

I just upgraded my OSx to 10.10.2 from 10.9 which was mavericks.

That is the error I see now, I don't know what to do now?

please help theres a lot of money there...

Thank you.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 06:06:08 AM

I hope you made a backup and wrote down the seed before loading that much money on it. If so, then take a deep breath, you'll be fine.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
camelson
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 06:10:38 AM

Thank you.
Did you make backup?
LouReed

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 06:11:48 AM

I hope you made a backup and wrote down the seed before loading that much money on it. If so, then take a deep breath, you'll be fine.

If not, OUCH!  Cry
steakpie13 (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 06:39:49 AM

Hi i have the wallet.dat file on this mac,i found it in application support.
How do i load it inside other wallet?

i can't use qt bitcoin client because its 20gb like it says for download at least...atm i just want to know how to 'know' that i still have the coins...
can't wait for 20 gb on my darn slow connection...

or is it that if i import this wallet.dat inside bitcoin qt it ill show up my coins without even syncing?

any other way to load this wallet.dat and know immediately the balance inside without waiting for sync?

any other client that can use this and help immediately?

BTW, I DID NOT DO A FRESH INSTALL OF YOSEMITE, IT WAS ON MAVERICKSK ITSELF SO ALL MY FILES ARE INTACT....which means the wallet.dat file should work right?
since its the same thing as before don't you think?

please help me asap, I'm really scared Sad
ilovelittleboys

Activity: 31

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 06:40:47 AM

Do you have your seed with you? This is 12 letters long and you should have either memorized it or written it down somewhere. Even if you don't have it, it should still be possible to recover your wallet as long as the files weren't overwritten but it might not be easy.

EDIT: Perhaps you can try downloading Electrum Portable, running it, and then replacing the wallet.dat it creates with your copy of wallet.dat?

EDIT 2: Not sure if Electrum Portable has an "import" feature but if it does then that could work also.
steakpie13 (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 06:47:50 AM

Do you have your seed with you? This is 12 letters long and you should have either memorized it or written it down somewhere. Even if you don't have it, it should still be possible to recover your wallet as long as the files weren't overwritten but it might not be easy.

EDIT: Perhaps you can try downloading Electrum Portable, running it, and then replacing the wallet.dat it creates with your copy of wallet.dat?
I have the seed
i screenshotted it

but it was saved in JULY 2014

but it was for the same wallet i used, the electrum one...will it work? will it restore all coins ir will it only replace coins that were there inside at that time?

BTw, the electrum on mac is really bad,  it saves in /library/appicationsupport/bitcoin

folder - i mean the wallet.dat one...

so I am even scared to download or install other BTc clients right now...because like I know qt client also does it on the same location\

OS X users, can you please confirm this is true?
because i could not find any electrum folder in library/appicationsupport

only found biotic  folder with wallet.dat

which is 5.39gb big

can electrum application folder be so big? i sure hope yes  Cry

otherwise this might just be the files from qt client i installed few months ago...

ilovelittleboys

Activity: 31

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 06:51:38 AM

I have the see
i screens hotted it

but it was saved in JULY 2014

but it was for the same wallet i used, the electrum one...will it work? will it restore all coins ir will it only replace coins that were there inside at that time?

BTw, the electrum on mac is really bad,  it saves in /library/appicationsupport/bitcoin

folder - i mean the wallet.dat one...

so I am even scared to download or install other BTc clients right now...because like I know qt client also does it on the same location\

OS X users, can you please confirm this is true?
because i could not find any electrum folder in library/appicationsupport

only found biotic  folder with wallet.dat

which is 5.39gb big

can electrum application folder be so big? i sure hope yes  Cry

otherwise this might just be the files from qt client i installed few months ago...

The seed is deterministic (contains all the information needed to generate all current and future addresses) and never changes for a single wallet, so it should work. As long as it's the same wallet, then all your coins should be there.
steakpie13 (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 06:54:27 AM

hi sorry for the bad post let me edit this

okay electrum doesn't have separeate location for wallet.dat

i think its the same as qt client

in appsupport/bitcoin

so wouldn't installing qt client over write to replace the thing or folder and eventually waller.dat file?

any OS X users?

if you are not on yosemite 10.10 yet, can you please tell me if there is any separate electrum folder in

library/applicatiocaches/bitcoin folder?

AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 06:54:59 AM

You can use Bitcoin-QT. Start it, then close it (Best is when you do it offline. Search for --> offline wallet)
Replace the wallet.dat with your backup
Start Bitcoin-QT again
Start Console
Dump your PrivKeys and
Close Bitcoin-QT
Start Elektrum
Import PrivKeys

Since you dumped your PrivKeys (unsecure) and Elektrum will not provide seeds for imported PrivKeys you'll be more safe sending the BTC to a new Elektrum wallet with seed for a better recovery.

Did I help you? Drop some BTC here: 1CbA6fjN6H9gyovuexGMmpfUKWiZsSF4Vj

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
Bitcoin Seller

Activity: 567
Merit: 148

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 07:06:54 AM

Thank you.

Why are you afraid mate , just put back the seed  , tell me that you have it tho Shocked Yes It will restore all your coin unless you imported new adresses to the Electrum wallet then It won't import coins of those new adresses
Otherwise I don't think there is other solutions if you didn't take any backups of Private keys or wallet file .
Candystripes

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

***THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE***

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 07:10:58 AM

Or just use the wallet key tool and convert it to a .key or .wallet file, and use Multibit temporarily.

---------------------------------
No longer under the possession of Candystripes.
Account is currently dormant.
steakpie13 (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 07:22:53 AM

http://i.gyazo.com/0bad1a717bb7160c54e97391a1d6244d.png

Thank you.

Why are you afraid mate , just put back the seed  , tell me that you have it tho Shocked Yes It will restore all your coin unless you imported new adresses to the Electrum wallet then It won't import coins of those new adresses
Otherwise I don't think there is other solutions if you didn't take any backups of Private keys or wallet file .

man i don't have bacon qt an i'm scared to install it since it will overwrite it, please read my post above..

i have the see but how does anyone import addresses?

i only used the RECEIVE addresses that were mentioned inside the electrum wallet..
\

Or just use the wallet key tool and convert it to a .key or .wallet file, and use Multibit temporarily.

Where can I get such a converter?

hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 07:29:07 AM

Electrum works differently than bitcoin-qt. It doesn't randomly generates new addresses like B-QT but produces them off the seed in a deterministic way (but yet unpredictable for someone who doesn't have the seed). The seed is all you need to recover your addresses. If you are uncomfortable using this mac, install electrum on a different computer and restore from the seed.
Once again, as long as you know the seed you haven't lost anything. All is good.

Lorenzo

Activity: 406

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 07:33:42 AM

Electrum works differently than bitcoin-qt. It doesn't randomly generates new addresses like B-QT but produces them off the seed in a deterministic way (but yet unpredictable for someone who doesn't have the seed). The seed is all you need to recover your addresses. If you are uncomfortable using this mac, install electrum on a different computer and restore from the seed.
Once again, as long as you know the seed you haven't lost anything. All is good.

That's true. In fact, I've had numerous times when I reformatted my computer, deleted anything related to Bitcoin, and then started over again. The only thing I had to gain access to my bitcoins again was the 12 word seed in my head.
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 08:49:35 AM

1. backup wallet.dat to USB memory just in case.
2. reinstall electrum with the latest Electrum from their site. (don't worry, Electrum does not overwrite old wallet files EVER)
3. choose to restore wallet
4. insert the 12 word "seed" phrase. (or a 32 character long hex code that looks something like "0123456789ABCDEF0123456789ABCDEF")
5. You'll have your bitcoins.

By the way, what version of Electrum is it?

Electrum's default name for wallet files has been "electrum.dat" and then "default_wallet" since 1.8 so a file called "wallet.dat" must be very old...

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
Bitcoin Seller

Activity: 567
Merit: 148

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 09:47:40 AM

Thank you.

Why are you afraid mate , just put back the seed  , tell me that you have it tho Shocked Yes It will restore all your coin unless you imported new adresses to the Electrum wallet then It won't import coins of those new adresses

man i don't have bacon qt an i'm scared to install it since it will overwrite it, please read my post above..

i have the see but how does anyone import addresses?

i only used the RECEIVE addresses that were mentioned inside the electrum wallet..
\

Where can I get such a converter?

You have the seed ? Shocked Well you are totally fine then mate !
Just unistall it and Install Electrum again . It will ask you to Restore from a Seed that you have , you select that option , put the seed and you are ready to go . nothing more simple then that
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2014, 10:06:18 AM

Looks like it's getting more and more complicated. First thing first, you mentioned earlier in your post that you have the seed. Use That!

Get somebody who has same version of mac os installed. Get electrum installed on that computer and recover your coins with the 12-word seed that you have.

bf4btc

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

Smoke weed everyday!

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:30:57 AM

If you have the seed or know the seed, then you are fine.

It's all you or anyone else for that matters needs to recover your funds.

~BCX~
I am not sure why so many people are talking about a wallet.dat file or QT. Neither of these apply to the OP if he is using electrum. The above is correct, all you need to recover your wallet is the seed.

If you are unable to get electrum to work on your computer then I would suggest doing the following

1 - Read up on PGP, find a gpg keychain manager (that you are sure you can trust) and install it on your computer.

2 - Choose and install a new wallet service (perhaps multibit or blockchain.info).

3 - Find a very reputable escrow service on the forum with a lot of positive trade experience.

4 - Message them with your problem and ask them if you can give them your seed, and they will return the bitcoin that is in the wallet controlled by your seed.

5 - Once you find someone very trusted that can do this encrypt a PGP message to the escrow with your seed

6 - give the escrow a newly created address from your new wallet service in step 2

7 - you now should have control of your bitcoin again

████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████▄▄▄█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀██████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████▀▀▀▀████████

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:40:50 AM

That's true. In fact, I've had numerous times when I reformatted my computer, deleted anything related to Bitcoin, and then started over again. The only thing I had to gain access to my bitcoins again was the 12 word seed in my head.

I don't know much about this. What if someone discovered your seed? 12 words is secure?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: