Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:20:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using bitcoin addresses for captcha.....  (Read 2510 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 02:02:20 AM

What if you took bitcoin address and turned them into firstbits style addresses and displayed them and users need to enter that correctly as the captcha ?

Can you display only parts of bitcoin addresses in this way programatically ?

TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 02:03:59 AM

What if you took bitcoin address and turned them into firstbits style addresses and displayed them and users need to enter that correctly as the captcha ?

What's the diference between that and just grabbing 5 or 6 random letters/numbers?
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 02:07:24 AM

What's the diference between that and just grabbing 5 or 6 random letters/numbers?

You cant pay a normal captcha instead of solving it Smiley

Sometimes they are so difficult to solve I just want to tip them a satoshi to let me use the friggin site!

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 02:08:43 AM

I could see this working if it required a scan of a qr code and then typing it in but i guess that wouldnt work becuase a bot could read qr codes... Idk
Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 02:09:23 AM

Sometimes they are so difficult to solve I just want to tip them a satoshi to let me use the friggin site!
Oh i get it : pay this tiny amount to signup and to prove your not a bot
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 02:11:11 AM

Under this system that is entirely optional.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 02:27:02 AM

Yes, you can pay a normal captcha... http://de-captcher.com is just one of the dozens of sites that have OCR and human solving available for as much as $2 for 1000 captcha solutions.

That will not prove you're not a bot as any bot can do that. Scraping the page to see which amount to send to which address and sending a json-RPC command to bitcoind isn't that difficult.
Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 03:28:16 AM

Whats if the amount is in an image format Tongue
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 03:29:46 AM

That would require humans Smiley

If its an image it can also be an AD.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 03:35:32 AM

That would require OCR or a service like de-captcher. Currently most captchas are images and that doesn't stop spammers. At most you would only double the cost to solve it, nothing more.

You guys are free to implement it. I'll try and break it and if you want. Grin

BTW, the best captchas around are the one that is used on the Bitcoin Faucet(impossible for a bot to solve) and those SolveMedia ones, which may require 2 or 3 tries, but eventually will be solved.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 03:59:36 AM

That would require OCR or a service like de-captcher. Currently most captchas are images and that doesn't stop spammers. At most you would only double the cost to solve it, nothing more.

BTW, the best captchas around are the one that is used on the Bitcoin Faucet(impossible for a bot to solve) and those SolveMedia ones, which may require 2 or 3 tries, but eventually will be solved.

What if you show a full address but highlight the letters and numbers randomly ? It would be an actual working address and the amount to bypass it would be in a pic too.

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 04:00:47 AM

I actually have a site in mind for this based on the blockchain that works like 4chan.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 04:04:14 AM

What if you show a full address but highlight the letters and numbers randomly ? It would be an actual working address and the amount to bypass it would be in a pic too.

If you use html to higlight the letters and numbers it can and will be detected by more advanced bots.
If you use a picture to show the full address, nobody will have the guts to write it and send the coin lol
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 04:42:26 AM

but what if you used your own set of html tags like
Code:
<firstbits>17ocNsU</firstbits>RFKC<bitcoinsarefun>sGarEiqEgzMx</bitcoinsarefun>xS9WnWAmP6P
and you can randomly set where they show up and can confuse bots at least

Shocked

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 05:05:41 AM

but what if you used your own set of html tags like
Code:
<firstbits>17ocNsU</firstbits>RFKC<bitcoinsarefun>sGarEiqEgzMx</bitcoinsarefun>xS9WnWAmP6P
and you can randomly set where they show up and can confuse bots at least

Oh, that would be bypassed in less than 1 minute. Yes, 1 minute would be what I would need to program a bot to scrape your personalized tags lol regex included. Even if you randomized them, would all be a matter of training and time.

You would be surprised with the bots Russians sell nowadays Grin
ZennoPoster is unstopable Wink Well, that captcha in the faucet would stop it, but that's one of the few.
Any captcha involving text, be it on the page source or on an image is pretty much dead on arrival.
You may not believe it, but I've seen captcha systems that involve composing the image from several smaller images: No problem, it screenshots the page and crops the screenshot and sends the part with the captcha to the captcha solving service.
The only ones that are trully working are the ones that involving recognizing an object(non-text) between 3 or 4 pictures or, like I said, the one used on the faucet.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 05:17:17 AM

In Russia captcha solves you.

Now that was funny ROFL
Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 06:27:40 AM
Last edit: June 30, 2012, 07:11:05 AM by Xenland

What about combining the image idea along with the highlighted areas?

Or if you absolutly had to use text you could colorize the bitcoin address with 10 different colors and then in an image tell the user what color selected. No bot could solve that! Okay the bot could guess but it would only be correct once out of every ten tries(more times if your lucky)
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 07:09:45 AM

Hashcash returns
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 07:31:33 AM

1.Captcha shows a Bitcoin address + a random number of BTC to pay
2.User pays x.xxxxxxxx BTC
3.User gets 90-99% of his/her coins back after 14 days (unless he/she has been reported by the owner of the website)

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 10:40:23 AM

1.Captcha shows a Bitcoin address + a random number of BTC to pay
2.User pays x.xxxxxxxx BTC
3.User gets 90-99% of his/her coins back after 14 days (unless he/she has been reported by the owner of the website)

This similar to what I figured would be a good idea, the only way to fight bots is with your own bots detecting malicious users. Make them pay a high price to solve the bitcoin captcha, use a bot to monitor if they are spamming, if they are, confiscate their money, if they are not, return it after a period of time.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: