Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:22:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: S5 review  (Read 5588 times)
s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 01:28:10 AM

Can anyone confirm the 0.2J/GH mining efficiency @ 9 volts made by Bitmain ?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 01:43:46 AM

I can give you DC efficiency numbers, I have a nice 0-16C, 0-50A linear supply. It would be wildly inefficient compared to an ATX supply though, so for at the wall numbers you'd have to go based on your PSU efficiency.

Bitmain's not shipping my units until the 4th though.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 02:17:14 AM

I went to change the password to the webgui and got an invalid password (root/root which let me in).

I cannot login via SSH?  Am I missing something different on the S5s?

Yeah, I can't ssh in with root/root either.
root/admin, its a beaglebone like the S2/S4

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Syke (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 02:21:35 AM

root/admin, its a beaglebone like the S2/S4

Yup, that does it.

Buy & Hold
s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 03:31:27 AM

I can give you DC efficiency numbers, I have a nice 0-16C, 0-50A linear supply. It would be wildly inefficient compared to an ATX supply though, so for at the wall numbers you'd have to go based on your PSU efficiency.

Bitmain's not shipping my units until the 4th though.

Please do, when you can.
Meech

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:56:30 AM

I'm happy with it at 400M. Any higher starts getting hardware errors which doesn't improve performance.

i dont get much HW errors, but hashrate seems to peak at 412MHz, at 425MHz its back down around the same speeds as at 400MHz
Can you try it at elevated voltage and see what happens?

not sure how to easily do this without a PSU capable of 13V at >60A, or even colder intake or higher airflow. temps are 55/53C with the back end of the heatsink reading about 33C where it contacts the PCB. using a cheap infrared thermometer, readings on the PCB range from 45-65C

I thinking he may be suggesting an adjustment in the software setting voltage (ie, as in the advanced settings on the S3+'s new firmware), I don't think the S5 has that option.
No, I was suggesting upping the actual voltage. Klondike uses some server PSUs and many of them can trim the output voltage a bit.
I have a few big adjustable supplies, but there's probably some leeway there for adjustment.

I was actually blowing off my deck today and wondering what -20C air fed through a gas powered leaf blower would do. Smiley
Don't try outdoor fed air, too much moisture unless filtered somehow.  May work for awhile but eventually leads to corrosion.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:14:33 AM

Don't try outdoor fed air, too much moisture unless filtered somehow.  May work for awhile but eventually leads to corrosion.
There's very little humidity in the outside air here. There's as much actual moisture in the air at -20C and 90%RH as there is at 10C and 10% RH.
pak13

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:41:47 AM

Hi Syke,

Thank you for the review posting!!   Cheesy
I understand you're imitating our marketing techniques, but why did you copy the miner loudness ?  Grin Grin Grin

so both of you could afford a beer at the end of the day Tongue A way to cut costs... hearing is overrated from a designer/engineer perspective. Cost from a managerial perspective. 
pak13

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:44:47 AM

I'm happy with it at 400M. Any higher starts getting hardware errors which doesn't improve performance.

i dont get much HW errors, but hashrate seems to peak at 412MHz, at 425MHz its back down around the same speeds as at 400MHz
Can you try it at elevated voltage and see what happens?

not sure how to easily do this without a PSU capable of 13V at >60A, or even colder intake or higher airflow. temps are 55/53C with the back end of the heatsink reading about 33C where it contacts the PCB. using a cheap infrared thermometer, readings on the PCB range from 45-65C

I thinking he may be suggesting an adjustment in the software setting voltage (ie, as in the advanced settings on the S3+'s new firmware), I don't think the S5 has that option.
No, I was suggesting upping the actual voltage. Klondike uses some server PSUs and many of them can trim the output voltage a bit.
I have a few big adjustable supplies, but there's probably some leeway there for adjustment.

I was actually blowing off my deck today and wondering what -20C air fed through a gas powered leaf blower would do. Smiley

Unless of course you live where the humidity is typically <30% on average. Temps year average 12c. Hint... take a look at where all the new (google, facebook, etc) data centres/centers are located.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 08:31:11 AM

Does anyone else here have a 50A+ adjustable power supply? I'd be interested to see some efficiency numbers in the range of 9V-14V.

Now that they have a good ASIC, I would hope they have a board in design that can adjust voltages. This would be a perfect setup for the S6.
I guess it will depend if they have spontaneous combustion issues with the S5. I don't imagine they'd want to go back to buying VRM components for the S6 unless they need to.
What they might do is include a server PSU where you can trim the output voltage through PMBus instead of an ATX supply, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Tongue

It will be interesting how the 9V or variable PSU thing works out. At the moment there's no supply, model, infrastructure or experience with them - but now there's a market.

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 04:52:01 PM

Does anyone else here have a 50A+ adjustable power supply? I'd be interested to see some efficiency numbers in the range of 9V-14V.

Now that they have a good ASIC, I would hope they have a board in design that can adjust voltages. This would be a perfect setup for the S6.
I guess it will depend if they have spontaneous combustion issues with the S5. I don't imagine they'd want to go back to buying VRM components for the S6 unless they need to.
What they might do is include a server PSU where you can trim the output voltage through PMBus instead of an ATX supply, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Tongue

It will be interesting how the 9V or variable PSU thing works out. At the moment there's no supply, model, infrastructure or experience with them - but now there's a market.
Or if you want to get really creative (and adventurous), wire 3 12V supplies in series similar to what the RC guys do, and then string together 4 S5s. Wink

Edit: Don't actually do this. Things will blow up.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3854

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 04:58:06 PM

Hi Syke,

Thank you for the review posting!!   Cheesy
I understand you're imitating our marketing techniques, but why did you copy the miner loudness ?  Grin Grin Grin

so both of you could afford a beer at the end of the day Tongue A way to cut costs... hearing is overrated from a designer/engineer perspective. Cost from a managerial perspective.  

only for the nearsighted people. I can afford (electricity wise) many more miners that i will NOT employ simply because of the noise and my house configuration-no basement. How many people are in the same category-I suspect many, but I am 90-99% sure that nobody at SPT and BMT had bothered to investigate.
klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 04:58:36 PM

Or if you want to get really creative (and adventurous), wire 3 12V supplies in series similar to what the RC guys do, and then string together 4 S5s. Wink

I dont think you can safely drive that much wattage through the S5 units like that. (if you wanted to try, you could run both blades of an S5 in series on 24V)

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:09:09 PM

I dont think you can safely drive that much wattage through the S5 units like that. (if you wanted to try, you could run both blades of an S5 in series on 24V)
From the point of view of the S5, it wouldn't be any different. Ideally you'd still have 12V across each one and the same current flowing through them. The problem is sequencing and making sure you don't get much more than 12V across any one unit.
Meech

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:39:46 PM

There's very little humidity in the outside air here. There's as much actual moisture in the air at -20C and 90%RH as there is at 10C and 10% RH.
Yes but I live in the Pacific NW.  My bad for assuming these conditions are the norm.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:49:57 PM

Yes but I live in the Pacific NW.  My bad for assuming these conditions are the norm.
LOL... No, not everywhere. Here in the prairies we have to be a little more careful. Those days you look out the window and its gloriously sunny and it seems you can see so far you can see the curvature of the Earth; put on some long johns before you head outside. Smiley
Syke (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 10:37:04 PM

15A circuit, 1300W PSU, 2 miners living in perfect harmony:

Ebony (Overclocked S5): 1240 GH/s
Ivory (Underclocked SP20): 1140 GH/s

Each miner is drawing 700 W (+/- 2%) at the wall.

Buy & Hold
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3854

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 10:59:40 PM

ha ha, I have almost exactly the same setup for a pair and a similar thought  Grin.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=902305.msg9993723#msg9993723
Once I get quiet S5 fans-will do a second pair, otherwise it would cause some stress during the NY holidays.
klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 11:54:07 PM

ha ha, I have almost exactly the same setup for a pair and a similar thought  Grin.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=902305.msg9993723#msg9993723
Once I get quiet S5 fans-will do a second pair, otherwise it would cause some stress during the NY holidays.

for the S5 fans, try driving them at 5V if its cold intake, or 7V if you want to overclock. One of these http://www.moddiy.com/product_images/j/547/T1JRxJXglbXXce7cAT_011207__14471_zoom.jpg will work, or makeshift your own (its just a few watts). The PWM revving to 80-100% is terribly loud.

as for the SP20 - you should be able to drive it a bit higher, to 1200Gh or so, by setting each PCIe to 155W and the voltage range to 0.638-0.655. Should settle in around 1200GH/0.646V and draw about equal to the S1 (this is with fans way down, which might free up 5-10W)

Saturn7

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 07:45:13 PM

Would this work?

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2104719_-1

It's 9 volts with 16.7 amps output but only rated at 150 watts.

First there was Fire, then Electricity, and now Bitcoins Wink
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: