Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:11:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best way to destroy bitcoin?  (Read 5211 times)
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 08:35:50 AM

send them to a bitcoin address called "coins_go_here_to_die"

One off NP-Hard.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pof

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 10:02:23 AM

Governments declaring Bitcoin Exchanges illegal due to money laundering, at the same time shutting down MtGox and confiscate all the bitcoins in it.
Then the price will go under 50 cent and a lot of people would stop using bitcoins, like after the last year bubble but this time forever...
I think it will be not so difficult...

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 10:02:40 AM

Bettered this forum answer this question then someone who really want to destroy bitcoin.
51% attack, spend some millions, get enough hashing power, do a 51% attack. Byebye bitcoin.

mystery2048

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 10:42:23 AM

No jjames, they can send it to 1HWMQv2VYviAgpy6NWNvVg9JhKm4zcMGS5 instead Tongue

For real though... They can either buy up the exchanges and shut them down, or if their the government, go and confiscate all their equipment and impose punishment on the owners...

Important: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92424.0;all

Donations: 1HWMQv2VYviAgpy6NWNvVg9JhKm4zcMGS5
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 12:09:57 PM

Easy, they can destroy bitcoin the same way they destroyed bit torrent... Oh wait... Yeah, better shut down the Internet then.

EMP wouldn't work, unless it's so massive we'd all have much bigger problems.  Grin
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 12:11:46 PM

well your EMP wont do shit to my paper wallet now will it

HA bitcoin for the win! Wink

AmazonStuff

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 12:17:41 PM

Bitcoin will evolve and become immune to all kinds of threats. I'm sure that in a few years btc will be online currency No.1.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 12:29:50 PM

Easy, they can destroy bitcoin the same way they destroyed bit torrent... Oh wait... Yeah, better shut down the Internet then.

That's a false comparison if you are honest.

First bittorrent is by a huge amount more decentralized than Bitcoin, and the decentralization of Bitcoin is shrinking, not growing.

Second bittorrent does not depend on frictionless integration with the traditional banking system like most of exchanging of fiat currency for bitcoins does which is what gives them there current exchange price.

It's unfortunately fairly easy to at the least significantly diminish the value of bitcoins and the use of Bitcoin if not out right destroying it by simply legislating it away. You forbid banks to accept funds coming from businesses dealing with bitcoins and label those few left who'd still do the mining as terrorists and hunt them down.

Of course when I say fairly easy I'm talking about the effects of such legislation not the difficulty of passing it all over the world and have it stick.. but this is something we will find out because there's not a shred of doubt in my mind they'll try to legislate it whether as an outright attack or in an attempt to control it.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 01:01:41 PM

Keeping backups on CD's here and heard some usb pen drives have extra shielding that help withstand a magnetic pulse.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 01:19:07 PM

For governments to prosecute merchants who accept it.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 01:52:08 PM

Good luck moving that paper wallet through a non-existent blockchain that just got trashed with my universal global EMP Ray Of Electronical Destruction.

HA unspeakable Evil for the riposte!  Grin
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 07:25:20 PM

I think it would happen in a defamation, hysteria, legislation cycle. Throw in a few high profile prosecutions/imprisonments/assassinations (presumably of "terrorists").

US would forbid citizens to own or trade BTC and throw them in jail if they do (tough to prove a person guilty, so new privacy invading laws will be needed).  That would delay Bitcoins adoption...maybe by several years, IMHO.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 07:37:18 PM

What is the best way to destroy bitcoin?

Nuke it from orbit.

Its the only way to be sure.

andrewbadr

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

Posts made Jan-March 2017 are not by me

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 07:43:05 PM

I take "destroy" to mean a near-zero market-cap and no real use of Bitcoin. Legislation and other forms of suppression can't achieve that, though they would drive the price down.

1. The most likely way Bitcoin could be destroyed would be the release and adoption of a superior protocol that serves the same purposes as Bitcoin. I'd put the probability of this happening in the next five years at over 10%.

2. Some emergent behavior of mining incentives makes it easier for some entity to control the block chain. Maybe mining pools get huge. Maybe mining gets taken over by specialized hardware.

3. Some cryptographic flaw in the protocol is discovered. (Seems very unlikely at this point.)
notme
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 08:23:18 PM

I take "destroy" to mean a near-zero market-cap and no real use of Bitcoin. Legislation and other forms of suppression can't achieve that, though they would drive the price down.

1. The most likely way Bitcoin could be destroyed would be the release and adoption of a superior protocol that serves the same purposes as Bitcoin. I'd put the probability of this happening in the next five years at over 10%.

2. Some emergent behavior of mining incentives makes it easier for some entity to control the block chain. Maybe mining pools get huge. Maybe mining gets taken over by specialized hardware.

3. Some cryptographic flaw in the protocol is discovered. (Seems very unlikely at this point.)

History shows making things illegal makes their price go up, not down.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 08:25:26 PM

+1, Look what happened with the alcohol prohibition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_during_and_after_prohibition

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 08:46:08 PM

That's a bit of an ignorant observation to the demand side of the supply/demand equation that determines a price. It's a hell of a lot different to make something illegal that it being illegal likely isn't going to diminish it's demand than it is to make something illegal that it being illegal is very likely to severely diminish it's demand.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

notme
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 08:58:32 PM

That's a bit of an ignorant observation to the demand side of the supply/demand equation that determines a price. It's a hell of a lot different to make something illegal that it being illegal likely isn't going to diminish it's demand than it is to make something illegal that it being illegal is very likely to severely diminish it's demand.

I find it unlikely demand will be diminished long term.  It may take time for everyone to move to TOR/I2P/Etc., but its usefulness won't be damaged, just the barrier to entry.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 09:04:22 PM

That's very dishonest when you look at how many demand orders currently stand on all the exchange combined compared to all the other options for acquiring bitcoins. Removing all this demand would instantly crash the price but also remove some of it's usefulness gained through the current low barrier to entry.

Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 09:04:43 PM

Best way to destroy bitcoin:

Refuse to trade with it, mine it and do nothing else other than sell your gains
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: