Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:59:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S5 Setup [HD]  (Read 59212 times)
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4508
Merit: 1815

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:00:23 PM

My S5 is mining away at a little over 1.1THs on default settings at my pool https://www.kano.is/ working fine Smiley
Best pool Smiley
Ignore those dogie was paid to post Smiley
600W at the wall with a Seasonic 1200W Platinum (240V)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 12:12:52 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2015, 12:30:27 PM by Zich

My S5 is mining away at a little over 1.1THs on default settings at my pool https://www.kano.is/ working fine Smiley
Best pool Smiley

Thanks kano for additional data  Smiley

50% load on platinum psu. The efficiency about 94%. So the load is about 564 watt on 12V rail.

If using 600 watt psu, that's  93% load. Yes, it's will work, but too much strain on psu.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4508
Merit: 1815

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:39:16 PM

Heh, I posted this in the wrong thread when I read the question without realising it wasn't the S5 thread Tongue

I repost it here for those who want to know:

The cgminer config file is:
/config/cgminer.conf

FYI - the S5 uses a BBB like the S2 so it looks the same when you ssh in (root/admin)

So the editable area that survives a reflash and a reboot is /config/

The startup init is /etc/init.d/cgminer.sh

When you ssh in, if you wish to watch cgminer:

TERM=xterm screen -r

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 09:00:20 PM

Best pool Smiley

Thanks kano for additional data  Smiley

50% load on platinum psu. The efficiency about 94%. So the load is about 564 watt on 12V rail.

If using 600 watt psu, that's  93% load. Yes, it's will work, but too much strain on psu.

Load percent =  wall * efficiency [0 to 1] / capacity

So you actually have 2 unknown variables as load percent varies on efficiency and vice versa. Had to read 6 reviews to find someone who actually characterised it at 240V, as Seasonic don't publish their own graphs.

We can estimate from the graph that eff is going to be about 0.935 over our entire range, so lets go with that.

Load percent =  wall * efficiency [0 to 1] / capacity
Load percent = 600 * 0.935 / 1200
Load percent = 47% = 560W = same as yours.

560W is still fine on a 600W PSU as most good brands hold 10% 24/7 capacity in reserve on top of their ratings. Ie the CX750M will do 825W, the RM1000 1100W as long as you're not running in a 40C [50C for RM1000] ambient. Even those that don't rate with a 10% reserve, 560 on 600W is still acceptable for a good brand.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 08:37:31 PM

Trialing some new formatting tweaks on this guide. Feedback is appreciated.

1) Section colors changed to more eye friendly ones
2) Line breaks changed to width limited images to prevent them filling the entire page width
3) Code boxes enclosed to prevent them filling the entire page width
4) Page will now display in full at ~1350px width. Can't get it down to 1280 due to too much padding in the forum code. Approximately 24% of users will need to zoom out very slightly.

toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 01:43:46 AM
Last edit: January 11, 2015, 06:39:00 AM by toptek

Hello there,

I'm from Russia and have ordered 1 x ANTMINER S5 BATCH 4.
Now I need some advice from you ...
I have a new out of the box PSU Fractal Design NEWTON R3 80PLUS® Platinum
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/power-supplies/newton/newton-r3-600w
and I'll going in anyway to connect it to S5.
Which are the potential minuses I'll get if use the PSU NEWTON R3 with Antminer S5? Please list all if it possible.
Thanks.

This might help you https://www.facebook.com/Bitmaintech.Antminer  : face book   and on bit mains  site under batch 3  it says somerthing aobut what you asking  so that PSU should  be fine if your not worried about speeds .

When better power efficiency is needed in the future due to higher network difficulties, you may want to buy some special PSUs 9V DC with more than 10A output, which will allow you to have a 0.2J/GH mining efficiency, but at lower hashing speed.

but they are right you will need a higher PSU if you plan to over clock i used that as a example nothing more.  just to make a point that it should be ok under clocked by what the tech's  say on bit mains site i think i need to stress that and what others say here before some one take what i said in the wrong light.

I have Six of batch 4 coming  over the next 7 weeks or sooner  two this week and two more the next week then two more maybe three weeks later. selling stuff on E bay .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
nateape

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 02:04:28 AM

What PSU do you recommend?
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 03:23:18 AM

What PSU do you recommend?

to be honest I'm using what i was using on my S1 and S3 and its looks like they will work just fine with my S5 once i have them .

but i use these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090I9W66/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EB7UITQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-SuperNOVA-1300-G2-Power-Supply-120-G2-1300-XR-ATX-1300W-80-PLUS-GOLD-/281435888657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4186e2dc11

According to the video on face book with the CEO of bit main the ^  should power two S5 with no issues. the ones i linked on amazon I got deals on as used  but were really new and if you know how to you can use the 6 or 7 year warr they come with  no question asked if you have to  . but right now i can't say i would  recommend any thing, waiting for my S5 to come.

toptek
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 06:48:45 AM

Is there a connector on the controller board to connect a WiFi antenna?

according to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azif7Gditxg there is no WiFi . sadly for you .

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 04:28:53 PM

According to the video on face book with the CEO of bit main the ^  should power two S5 with no issues. the ones i linked on amazon I got deals on as used  but were really new and if you know how to you can use the 6 or 7 year warr they come with  no question asked if you have to  . but right now i can't say i would  recommend any thing, waiting for my S5 to come.

Yoshi is not the CEO of Bitmain, its just labelled wrong Tongue He's very very important in the US though.

Count_Frackula

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 02:26:10 AM

The S1 and S3 had a setting in one of the config files where you could set a goal temp for the fans.  Any idea where the S5 might store that setting?  I figure if I can raise the goal temp a bit, I can make them a smidge quieter.

Rent my SHA-256 rigs on Mining Rig Rentals.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 02:33:21 PM

The S1 and S3 had a setting in one of the config files where you could set a goal temp for the fans.  Any idea where the S5 might store that setting?  I figure if I can raise the goal temp a bit, I can make them a smidge quieter.

I don't, sorry.

BitLeafClover

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 05:24:21 AM

Anybody know - would an S5 run properly if you plugged another fan and two more cards in to it (provided you powered the two additional cards with a sufficient PSU)?

Because the situation is that one of my two S5s came DOA - the top PCB is defective and I'm waiting for a replacement. Worth the risk of plugging the two cards on the broken miner into my working S5?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 03:18:09 PM

Anybody know - would an S5 run properly if you plugged another fan and two more cards in to it (provided you powered the two additional cards with a sufficient PSU)?

Because the situation is that one of my two S5s came DOA - the top PCB is defective and I'm waiting for a replacement. Worth the risk of plugging the two cards on the broken miner into my working S5?

I wouldn't try it, those cables are also mightly short. By DOA, what do you mean? We can probably get it going again.

gilwwong

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:44:46 PM

hi Dogie, thanks again for your great post. one question, is there some way to implement load balancing? thanks again for your time and considerate reply.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 10:06:55 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2015, 10:05:22 AM by dogie

hi Dogie, thanks again for your great post. one question, is there some way to implement load balancing? thanks again for your time and considerate reply.

1) SSH to S5, Login root/admin
2) Type "screen -r". Wait for all the messages to go through.
3) Type "P" to enter Pool Management.
4) Type "C" for Change Management Strategy.
5) Select one of the following:  "0"-Failover(default), "1"-Round Robin, "2"-Rotate, "3"-Load Balance, "4"-Balance.
    - Load balance requires quotas to be setup first (via "Q").  Balance uses equal share across configured pools.  Read the cgminer readme files for more detail.
6) Press Enter key to exit Pool Management menu.  Should now be back at main cgminer menu.
7) Exit screen session by issuing "Ctrl-A", "Ctrl-D".  (Hold down Ctrl key, press "a/A", then "d/D".
8 ) Now back at shell prompt.

Modified from MissouriMiner's S4 instructions

Count_Frackula

Activity: 99

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 04:29:29 AM

I don't, sorry.
Thanks.  I managed to quiet it down by just swapping out the fan for two b-Gear 120mm fans in a push-pull configuration.  Runs at about 71C in a 75F ambient, but at least it keeps the wife happy.

Rent my SHA-256 rigs on Mining Rig Rentals.
BitLeafClover

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 05:18:12 AM

I wouldn't try it, those cables are also mightly short. By DOA, what do you mean? We can probably get it going again.

DOA = Dead On Arrival

It's that top chip that you plug the ethernet into. Of the two miners, one works and one doesn't. When the broken chip is being used, the fan doesn't run, it makes little to no noise, and I cannot find it online using my router. But when I remove the "broken" chip and then replace it with the "working" chip from the other miner, it works fine. That's the best I think I can describe the issue (I tried pressing that button to restore it to factory settings, but nothing...)

I am emailing with Yoshi and he's been helpful. He and the team have been providing suggestions, but I either am lacking some technical knowledge or it's beyond immediate repair. I've got an RMA going and sent them the broken chip to have it fixed or replaced.

But if you have any ideas as to what it might have been, I'd be curious to hear as I spent a lot of time troubleshooting  Tongue
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 05:39:47 AM

DOA = Dead On Arrival

It's that top chip that you plug the ethernet into. Of the two miners, one works and one doesn't. When the broken chip is being used, the fan doesn't run, it makes little to no noise, and I cannot find it online using my router. But when I remove the "broken" chip and then replace it with the "working" chip from the other miner, it works fine. That's the best I think I can describe the issue (I tried pressing that button to restore it to factory settings, but nothing...)

I am emailing with Yoshi and he's been helpful. He and the team have been providing suggestions, but I either am lacking some technical knowledge or it's beyond immediate repair. I've got an RMA going and sent them the broken chip to have it fixed or replaced.

But if you have any ideas as to what it might have been, I'd be curious to hear as I spent a lot of time troubleshooting  Tongue

OFC dogie know what DOA mean. What dogie want to know is the symptom? Can you access the configuration page? etc
What is the "top chip" you mean here? Chip is usually refer to single ic or asic.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 07:13:50 PM

DOA = Dead On Arrival

But if you have any ideas as to what it might have been, I'd be curious to hear as I spent a lot of time troubleshooting  Tongue

OFC dogie know what DOA mean. What dogie want to know is the symptom? Can you access the configuration page? etc
What is the "top chip" you mean here? Chip is usually refer to single ic or asic.

I think he was referring to the controller board. If the fan wasn't spinning @ 100% it suggests something electrically dead.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: