Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:50:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S5 Setup [HD]  (Read 59217 times)
pokeyjones

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 06:51:56 AM

To power your new S5 which PSU or PSU's would you use? Why?

Single HX850W? Single HX750W? Single CX750M? Or twin CX600s or twin CX500Ms?

Likely overclock in the future. All PSU's are Corsairs.

thanks all
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 07:00:29 AM

thanks all

Single CX750M is the best buy for EU, EVGA 1300W for the US. I would have said the RM1000 if S5s had been just a bit lower power consumption as those things are amazing, but alas its just a bit too much for 2x on an RM1000.

pokeyjones

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 03:39:59 AM

thanks all

Single CX750M is the best buy for EU, EVGA 1300W for the US. I would have said the RM1000 if S5s had been just a bit lower power consumption as those things are amazing, but alas its just a bit too much for 2x on an RM1000.

What? I've got a number of Corsair PSU's, looking for reco on what to use out of what I have.

1x HX850 or 1x HX750 Corsairs? Have 3x CX750Ms, believe one will run the C5. Be safe and run two? Or is the completely contrary to power conservation?
Run twin CX600s?

thanks!
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 05:42:22 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2015, 07:15:38 AM by Zich

thanks all

What? I've got a number of Corsair PSU's, looking for reco on what to use out of what I have.

1x HX850 or 1x HX750 Corsairs? Have 3x CX750Ms, believe one will run the C5. Be safe and run two? Or is the completely contrary to power conservation?
Run twin CX600s?

thanks!

Single cx750, hx750 or hx850 will done the job, but if you cont the efficiency then hx850 will give smaller power usage.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 07:12:20 AM
Last edit: February 04, 2015, 11:58:29 PM by dogie

thanks all

Run twin CX600s?

thanks!

Any of them alone will run 1x S5 fine, although you'll need to pair up the CX500Ms to run 1x S5.

pokeyjones

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 04:48:58 PM

thanks all

Run twin CX600s?

thanks!

Any of them alone will run 1x S5 fine, although you'll need to pair up the CX500Ms to run 1x S5.

Please consider filling out a quick survey about my guides to help improve them! You'll be entered into a raffle to win 2x $20 vouchers as a thank you.

Your guides are amazing. Briefly, I'm a guy that just wants computers to work. Bitcoin mining sounded amazing and for sure out of my reach. By looking at machines, then your reviews and setup guides, I learned. Enough to get bold and order some S1's. I actually unboxed machines, paperclipped PSUs, bought extra cables, booted and configured and mined. In addition to losing some money, it was honestly a big confidence booster. Without your guides - clear and concise - I would likely have never tried. So... guides are awesome.... thank you.... you owe me about $2k for getting me into mining. BTC is fine on that. Smiley

What I'd love to see in guides is what I'm asking here... which PSU is best for the application. Not blowing the miner up, not causing a fire, using plenty of power, and doing it efficiently as reasonably possible. That would require you not only testing miners, but testing them with 101 different PSU's and PSU configs. Likely not possible. I will take the survey and the BTC you owe me, thanks!

Back to my question, again Smiley Single power over 750 sounds reasonable and doable. Would it make sense to DOUBLE 750s so they aren't overworked/ready for overclocking?
If so, wouldn't double 600w PSUs do the same job as the 750s?

Thanks so much!
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 05:07:13 PM

Your guides are amazing. Briefly, I'm a guy that just wants computers to work. Bitcoin mining sounded amazing and for sure out of my reach. By looking at machines, then your reviews and setup guides, I learned. Enough to get bold and order some S1's. I actually unboxed machines, paperclipped PSUs, bought extra cables, booted and configured and mined. In addition to losing some money, it was honestly a big confidence booster. Without your guides - clear and concise - I would likely have never tried. So... guides are awesome.... thank you.... you owe me about $2k for getting me into mining. BTC is fine on that. Smiley

What I'd love to see in guides is what I'm asking here... which PSU is best for the application. Not blowing the miner up, not causing a fire, using plenty of power, and doing it efficiently as reasonably possible. That would require you not only testing miners, but testing them with 101 different PSU's and PSU configs. Likely not possible. I will take the survey and the BTC you owe me, thanks!

Back to my question, again Smiley Single power over 750 sounds reasonable and doable. Would it make sense to DOUBLE 750s so they aren't overworked/ready for overclocking?
If so, wouldn't double 600w PSUs do the same job as the 750s?

Thanks so much!

I actually do do that with the PSUs, but they're in the "what you need" links. I used to almost always recommend the CX750M, but as power per unit has crept up then I usually recommend the RM1000. Both of these are the stablest, safest PSUs with a strong warranty behind them.

There would be no reason to run 2x 600s / 750s for 1x S5. PSUs are more efficient between roughly 50% and 80% of their max capacity, so running 2 at 250W each would be quite an under utilisation.

pigfarmer

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 07:34:39 AM

Just trying to set up my S5 and the "find your miner" software gives me a "wrong IP format "error. I have put in the WAN IP address from the router setup browser which ends with 188 ( I tried adding a .1 also but that doesn't help) has anyone any clues please?

Thanks
Zich
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 08:22:49 AM

Just trying to set up my S5 and the "find your miner" software gives me a "wrong IP format "error. I have put in the WAN IP address from the router setup browser which ends with 188 ( I tried adding a .1 also but that doesn't help) has anyone any clues please?

Thanks

Go to your router configuration page & find the dhcp page. Your miner should be list there.
pigfarmer

Activity: 11

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 08:57:58 AM

Thanks Zich,
                  Found the DHCP list in the routers browser under status/diagnostic. Punched that straight into my search browser and there you go into the Antminer setup  and off to work it goes.

I think I'll get some more of these, heaps easier than the early days with GPU's and a 10kw power bill.

Thanks again
Zich
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 09:18:13 AM

Thanks Zich,
                  Found the DHCP list in the routers browser under status/diagnostic. Punched that straight into my search browser and there you go into the Antminer setup  and off to work it goes.

I think I'll get some more of these, heaps easier than the early days with GPU's and a 10kw power bill.

Thanks again

Great  Smiley
Good choice, S5 power consumption is the best comparing to other available miner.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 09:41:48 AM

Thanks

In that box it wants the subnet, ie 192.168.1. Then the next boxes are the range to search on that subnet.

mazotoro

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 05:58:15 PM

Firstly, thanks for your guides and info Dogie. I end up referencing your stuff when I have an issue, or question about any units I am looking at. (Been lurking for quite awhile)

I have a few r-box 2's running off a SuperNova 1300; going though a Raspberry Pi running cgminer. I did some modifications to anubis and use that as my dashboard, since the miners are all in the basement, and this way I can just popup a webpage to make sure everything is running smoothly.

Here in lies my question.

I just ordered a S5 and another SuperNova 1300 (Which from what I understand can easily run 2 S5's, and maybe 3, if you split the 6pin leads, though I would need to poke at that more, before I try. Has anyone, or does anyone know away to monitor the S5 though something like Anubis, or Minera, or Multiminer?  I would like to have all my miners on 1 sheet of glass, so I can just poke at it when I want to see how they do doing (Temps, has rates, HW errors, etc)

Thanks
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 04:27:28 AM

I just ordered a S5 and another SuperNova 1300 (Which from what I understand can easily run 2 S5's, and maybe 3, if you split the 6pin leads, though I would need to poke at that more, before I try. Has anyone, or does anyone know away to monitor the S5 though something like Anubis, or Minera, or Multiminer?  I would like to have all my miners on 1 sheet of glass, so I can just poke at it when I want to see how they do doing (Temps, has rates, HW errors, etc)

Thanks

An Evga SuperNova 1300 can run 2 S5s, definitely not 5. They've got 8 PCI-Es, as 2 S5s have so you won't have to do any splitting. You can monitor via the webpage, or a third party application like M's miner monitor. You should be able to turn on API support on your cgminer running the R-Boxes, so you can also add them into this.

Please consider filling out a quick survey about my guides to help improve them! You'll be entered into a raffle to win 2x $20 vouchers as a thank you.

Sandhog

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 02:48:36 PM

thanks all
I'm using two (2) CX500Ms to PSU for S5 since I have couple dozen PSUs leftover from GPU mining to S1 mining days. I bought some new PSUs for C1 but didn't want to bother with cooling system assembly and didn't order C1s. I probably only S5 and retire others in the summer.
nbruce

Activity: 53

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:36:49 PM
Last edit: February 07, 2015, 05:09:12 PM by nbruce

Hi, thanks for your guides ? Excellent information.

I have an S5 that has been misbehaving, with hashrate dropping off and temps going down just on blade 1. Eventually I swapped the fan power to the other connector on the top board and it seemed to help. I have had it running using 1 x 750W Seventeam (supposedly coolermasters OEM) 80 plus bronze. I then switched to using two different makes of 500W 80 plus PSU, one on each side, blade one using a corsair. It ran fine for 4 days then dropped hashrate even though all chips show up as fine on the web interface. The temps on blade 1 dropped to 30 though. I have just splashed out on a Corsair AX1200i and plugged into that. My meter shows a max draw of 580.2W on the wall side of the PSU. So far so good, but do you think power could have been the issue ?
Also, I'm hoping I can run two S5s on the AX1200, what do you think ?

thanks again.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 09:34:02 PM

Hi, thanks for your guides ? Excellent information.

I have an S5 that has been misbehaving, with hashrate dropping off and temps going down just on blade 1. Eventually I swapped the fan power to the other connector on the top board and it seemed to help. I have had it running using 1 x 750W Seventeam (supposedly coolermasters OEM) 80 plus bronze. I then switched to using two different makes of 500W 80 plus PSU, one on each side, blade one using a corsair. It ran fine for 4 days then dropped hashrate even though all chips show up as fine on the web interface. The temps on blade 1 dropped to 30 though. I have just splashed out on a Corsair AX1200i and plugged into that. My meter shows a max draw of 580.2W on the wall side of the PSU. So far so good, but do you think power could have been the issue ?
Also, I'm hoping I can run two S5s on the AX1200, what do you think ?

thanks again.

1) Can you try and find the exact model of the original PSU please?
2) I wouldn't be surprised if it was power issues with a 'cheaper' PSU, especially now its working fine.
3) 2x S5s on an AX1200 should be fine, AXs are immense. There is always a risk that it may trigger its overload protection as found on some larger PSUs, which will prevent it from turning on at all though, its a bit hit and miss. Potentially another CX750M would be safer and more cost efficient for a second S5.

nbruce

Activity: 53

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 10:39:29 PM

2) I wouldn't be surprised if it was power issues with a 'cheaper' PSU, especially now its working fine.
3) 2x S5s on an AX1200 should be fine, AXs are immense. There is always a risk that it may trigger its overload protection as found on some larger PSUs, which will prevent it from turning on at all though, its a bit hit and miss. Potentially another CX750M would be safer and more cost efficient for a second S5.

1)Seventeam ST-750PWL running both blades, then tried a Corsair PSU (CX500M) on one blade and either an Antec 500W or this one pictured below on the other blade.  I'll have to look for the Antec box for the model number, it's quite old but brand new in a box. I got it as a replacement from Antec maybe 10 years ago, never used it.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/2VsAAOSwc3ZUqY5G/$_57.JPG

The S5 is running fine now but it's only been about 5 or 6 hours on the new PSU, so if it lasts a week it will have broken its own record so far ;-)

Thanks for your help :-)
Zich
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 01:06:11 AM

1)Seventeam ST-750PWL running both blades, then tried a Corsair PSU (CX500M) on one blade and either an Antec 500W or this one pictured below on the other blade.  I'll have to look for the Antec box for the model number, it's quite old but brand new in a box. I got it as a replacement from Antec maybe 10 years ago, never used it.

The S5 is running fine now but it's only been about 5 or 6 hours on the new PSU, so if it lasts a week it will have broken its own record so far ;-)

Seventeam ST-750PWL is dual rail psu. Each rail can deliver up to 30A(360watt). Usually 1 rail for pcie & other rail for hdd molex/sata. You can use the psu if you can make modification from molex/sata to pcie.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 01:50:44 AM

1) The first PSU is not suitable as it has 2 rails, which typically means you're relying on the PSU to properly load balance. In this case, its claimed each rail can take 30A on its own = 360W. That's really pushing it and likely explains your problems.
The second PSU is also not appropriate as its dual rail, again you're going to be relying on the PSU to load balance well to not exceed its ~200W on each rail.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: