Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S5 Setup [HD]  (Read 59212 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2015, 01:04:37 PM

Hello Dogie, I love your work with these guides...

Do you have a CLI command's guide to check status and / or change the S5's configuration?

tia

Do you mean by putty? If you want something to monitor in bulk you can use M's miner monitor.

miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 01:08:17 PM

Do you have a CLI command's guide to check status and / or change the S5's configuration?

tia

Do you mean by putty? If you want something to monitor in bulk you can use M's miner monitor.

I mean using ssh through putty.
The CLI commands in a Antminer console.
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 06:44:20 AM

tia

I mean using ssh through putty.
The CLI commands in a Antminer console.

You can use cgminer-api command.
Code:
./cgminer-api stats
bitsolutions

Activity: 261
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 04:32:52 PM

You can use cgminer-api command.
Code:
./cgminer-api stats
Technically you only need to do
Code:
cgminer-api stats
the "./" part is unnecessary since the cgminer-api binary is already in path.

Mining Software Developer.
Speedychef

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 08:31:57 PM

Hello Everyone. Somewhat new to mining and the S5 but I am hooked. I bought a second hand unit a few weeks ago and got it set up just fine. I got 2 more second hand units today and one of them set up just fine. The other one won't connect by ethernet. The lights to the side of the port have a dim Red light on but I cannot find what that error might mean. The fans turn on, the green led's on the top board itself are on, and the red led on the top board is on. However the red lights on each hashing blade are off. I did try changing ethernet cables, tried swapping power supplies, and tried resetting the miner.

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? They shipped as if they were packed well, no damage to the box. I had the former owner send me a screen shot of them hashing (could be faked i suppose) and they were going fine.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2015, 10:21:22 PM

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? They shipped as if they were packed well, no damage to the box. I had the former owner send me a screen shot of them hashing (could be faked i suppose) and they were going fine.

What was his network configuration, DHCP or static? All the white ribbon-esque cables look secure?

Speedychef

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 11:17:19 PM

What was his network configuration, DHCP or static? All the white ribbon-esque cables look secure?

Thanks for the quick response Dogie.

Yes all the cables look secure. I believe all the miners are on DHCP right now. Again my 1st and 2nd miners are going fine. This one just the fan's boot up, can not get to the control panel to get into any settings it is not connecting to the network.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm187/speedychef1/s5-1_zpssvxjppa2.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm187/speedychef1/s5-2_zpscfjaayds.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm187/speedychef1/s5-3_zpsnvg9ci7d.jpg

the 4 green LED's on the top board are all solid.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 12:31:16 AM

Yes all the cables look secure. I believe all the miners are on DHCP right now. Again my 1st and 2nd miners are going fine. This one just the fan's boot up, can not get to the control panel to get into any settings it is not connecting to the network.

Thanks. Quickest way to debug this is to unscrew the 4 black screws holding the controller + adapter down, and swap that with one of the working S5s. Put the non working one on one of the working S5s and see if the problem moves or stays. Then we'll know if its hashing boards / power, or controller.

Speedychef

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 12:57:55 AM

Thanks. Quickest way to debug this is to unscrew the 4 black screws holding the controller + adapter down, and swap that with one of the working S5s. Put the non working one on one of the working S5s and see if the problem moves or stays. Then we'll know if its hashing boards / power, or controller.

Thanks. Looks like it is the controller. Swapped it over and the unit that wasn't working is, and the unit that was working isn't and displaying the same lights/issues.

Is there anything that can be done to repair it or does it need to just be replaced?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 01:31:24 AM

Thanks. Looks like it is the controller. Swapped it over and the unit that wasn't working is, and the unit that was working isn't and displaying the same lights/issues.

Is there anything that can be done to repair it or does it need to just be replaced?

If you've held the reset button and that hasn't worked, then you can try another quick swap. Swap the Beaglebone Blacks off the controller boards and see if the problem moves again. Then we'll know if its the controller board or the BBB which can be replaced locally. Although for both you'll have to get in touch for a repair or send it back to your seller.

Speedychef

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 01:34:19 AM

If you've held the reset button and that hasn't worked, then you can try another quick swap. Swap the Beaglebone Blacks off the controller boards and see if the problem moves again. Then we'll know if its the controller board or the BBB which can be replaced locally. Although for both you'll have to get in touch for a repair or send it back to your seller.

Ok still a noob, I assume that is the black card? any hidden screws or just pull up?
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 02:27:40 AM

Ok still a noob, I assume that is the black card? any hidden screws or just pull up?

The beagle bone black is the "black card" that controls the S5.

I don't believe it is screwed down if i remember right.   I think it's just on the  pins.   You would see a screw in one of the holes if it is.
Speedychef

View Profile
May 19, 2015, 08:23:00 PM

The beagle bone black is the "black card" that controls the S5.

I don't believe it is screwed down if i remember right.   I think it's just on the  pins.   You would see a screw in one of the holes if it is.

Thanks again for the Help Dogie. It is the BBB (which is not held down by a screw but it is easier to remove the board and separate it away from the machine).
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2015, 09:28:18 PM

Thanks again for the Help Dogie. It is the BBB (which is not held down by a screw but it is easier to remove the board and separate it away from the machine).

Okay, so you have the options of contacting Bitmain if its in warranty, Bitmain if its not and you want to pay, your seller to send it back or to get another one locally.

Rockett0

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 12:50:16 AM

Dogie,

I see some people only connect two PCI-E's to the S5. Is there harm in doing this?

thanks,

Rtt
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 12:51:45 AM

Dogie,

I see some people only connect two PCI-E's to the S5. Is there harm in doing this?

thanks,

Rtt

No harm but if you were overclocking it will need the 4 PCI-e possibly.  All depends on frequency.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2015, 12:57:53 AM

Dogie,

thanks,

Rtt

No harm but if you were overclocking it will need the 4 PCI-e possibly.  All depends on frequency.

Yup, and depends on the AWG of your PSU cabling. 2 PCI-E is only possible on TWO cable rails, and only recommended on 16AWG.

jds1119

Activity: 63

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 03:53:43 PM

I have an issues with one of my new S5's. The machine powers up and it looks like the network adapter is working but the green blinking light that shows its working doesn't blink like the others. Is it a simple fix just to hit the button to return it to stock setting to get this working again? I am not in the same location of my machines so its a pain in the ass to go back to reset machine. Like I said, it powers up, the fan spins but it doesn't seem to be pulling an IP address. The machine was working fine then just stopped on day. Thanks
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 04:02:36 PM

I have an issues with one of my new S5's. The machine powers up and it looks like the network adapter is working but the green blinking light that shows its working doesn't blink like the others. Is it a simple fix just to hit the button to return it to stock setting to get this working again? I am not in the same location of my machines so its a pain in the ass to go back to reset machine. Like I said, it powers up, the fan spins but it doesn't seem to be pulling an IP address. The machine was working fine then just stopped on day. Thanks

It's hard to say.  It could be a network problem.  If you do a reset that would allow you to know it's going to be at default IP.  And you can connect to it. 

With others working in same setup that makes me think you have decent PSU's, and network working in general.   It will be a pain but a reset is not a bad idea to try.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2015, 04:40:41 PM

It's hard to say.  It could be a network problem.  If you do a reset that would allow you to know it's going to be at default IP.  And you can connect to it. 

With others working in same setup that makes me think you have decent PSU's, and network working in general.   It will be a pain but a reset is not a bad idea to try.

If you can't connect to it or find it, then you're going to have to reset it. If the controller has died then that may need replacing although its reasonably rare that it will die in situ. Usually they arrive DOA after shipping.

And do remember that "default" IP on an S5 is actually DHCP'ed, so it could pop up anywhere.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: