Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:46:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S5 Setup [HD]  (Read 59208 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 07:10:16 PM

Been looking at high performance Corsair 120mm will they do the job?

SP120s won't cut it in non cool ambients, S5 is just too open and relies on flailing air everywhere.

Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bbOOmm

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 12:50:21 AM

..........  flailing air everywhere.

LoL ... you make it sound as if the S5 has a "Bounce House" blower attached to it ( I have one of those .... you could probably have 5 S5's lined up front to back with one of those blower feeding the first one. )

Just keep the cat and small dogs away from the intake.... they might get vacuumed up ....
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 01:02:37 AM

..........  flailing air everywhere.

LoL ... you make it sound as if the S5 has a "Bounce House" blower attached to it ( I have one of those .... you could probably have 5 S5's lined up front to back with one of those blower feeding the first one. )

Just keep the cat and small dogs away from the intake.... they might get vacuumed up ....

Ha ha I've ordered a single G839 Noctua NF-F12 Industrial PPC 3000RPM PWM 120mm High Performance Fan to try.

Its rated as 4 pin, 3000rpm, 109.8 CFM lets see how that gets on Smiley.
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 12:03:38 AM

For the record the Noctua fan has been working fine for over a week now. Much quieter than the stock fan Smiley.

At stock (350MHz) it runs at 2200-2400rpm and is probably half the standard fan noise.

Software showing no higher than 60 degrees, more like 54-58.

Please note: I do only have this one running so doubt this fan would perform adequately in a multi miner / hot environment.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2015, 04:20:50 AM

Please note: I do only have this one running so doubt this fan would perform adequately in a multi miner / hot environment.

What is your ambient?

hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 09:34:27 AM

What is your ambient?

Today its about 13/14 degrees C or 55/57 F. Outside its 5 degrees C and there is no other heating on. Board temps are 53 C + 56 C and fan is running at 2280 rpm. Its keeping the chill nicely off my 10'x10' office and kitchen which it leads on to because the door is always open Smiley.
BarefootFlash

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 12:07:47 AM

Wow, this was perfect. Thanks so much Dogie!
citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 09:51:44 PM

Hi Guys,

My s5 has been sick lately ever since Jan 1st.... online with no hashing.... Freezes quite frequently too...
I had to reboot regularly and changed to lower freq but still sick.
No bad chips. HWE% is very low. Latest FW. Temps 40s
Any ideas how to cure this puppy.... underclock? additional fans?
Perhaps it's the symptom to its old age....
I hate to write this off.... the S5 is still a very good workhorse.

Thanks
TMT

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
BarefootFlash

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 09:57:40 PM

Hi Guys,

My s5 has been sick lately ever since Jan 1st.... online with no hashing.... Freezes quite frequently too...

Thanks
TMT

What kind of numbers are you getting? Also, just curious, at what point are you pulling out of mining, since these S5s are getting so outdated? I'm getting about 0.0055 BTC/day right now.

Cheers,
-Flash
citronick
Legendary

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 12:54:32 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks
TMT

What kind of numbers are you getting? Also, just curious, at what point are you pulling out of mining, since these S5s are getting so outdated? I'm getting about 0.0055 BTC/day right now.

Cheers,
-Flash

Around there or less depending on electricity costs.
I use my s5 for solo mining at ckpool and try my luck - even 1 lucky hit will pay off this puppy.
1TH is not that attractive anymore unless you are happy with 3-4 bucks per week.

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
notabeliever

Activity: 722
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 03:26:36 AM

Yes I agree as a S5 owner the difficulty is too much. It started at 93+

The S5 was great though and now it seems to feel like my S1 when I replaced it with the S5. renting a S7 it definitely much better hash wise
BarefootFlash

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 03:31:10 AM

The S5 was great though and now it seems to feel like my S1 when I replaced it with the S5. renting a S7 it definitely much better hash wise

Are you still using your S5 for anything or does it pretty much sit around now? I'm running mine for a week, then will be repurposing to either solo mining for the random chance it hits big, or to another coin. Really interested in what others are doing, since I'm not in the right spot to buy a new, bigger rig.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2016, 01:05:18 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks
TMT

Can you give us a screenshot of the status page please?

citronick
Legendary

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 01:27:35 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks
TMT

Can you give us a screenshot of the status page please?

UPDATE:

I gave the S5 a good cleanup - I got it used in the first place - so I cleaned the front and back fans, wd40 got rid the rust on fan grill, used a computer blower, changed PSU cables, mounted it vertically, like my other miners (S7), changed the network cable and port..... so basically gave it a good rub... and finally it runs and well, hashing at 400mhz for a full day now.

I guess, I didn't give it enough love like its older brother, the S7s.

BTW, Is there a way to add a 4th backup pool in the configuration page?

Thisiserik

Activity: 22

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 08:00:33 AM
Last edit: February 21, 2016, 08:24:50 AM by Thisiserik

hi,
 I need to reset the password on the web interface of my s5. I don't know what it is. will a factory reset on the miner ( paperclip to press down and hold 5-10 seconds) do the trick and should I power down the miner first?
updateI got it by saying ( or typing it) out loud.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 08:25:37 PM

I've ordered a single G839 Noctua NF-F12 Industrial PPC 3000RPM PWM 120mm High Performance Fan to try.
Do you still run your S5?  Does it still use this fan?  How did it perform?

I just picked up an S5 and will be looking to replace the fan with something a bit quieter.
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 09:34:07 PM

I've ordered a single G839 Noctua NF-F12 Industrial PPC 3000RPM PWM 120mm High Performance Fan to try.
Do you still run your S5?  Does it still use this fan?  How did it perform?

I just picked up an S5 and will be looking to replace the fan with something a bit quieter.

I ran it with that fan for about 2 months then sold the S5 on.

It worked fine and was much quieter than the original fan at stock clock speed.

It's still working now as far as I'm aware. I haven't heard otherwise anyway, they're a good quality fan.
bbOOmm

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 11:03:03 PM

Are you still using your S5 for anything or does it pretty much sit around now? I'm running mine for a week, then will be repurposing to either solo mining for the random chance it hits big, or to another coin. Really interested in what others are doing, since I'm not in the right spot to buy a new, bigger rig.

I have 3 S5's. One S5 , the BBB gave up the ghost.... so I put it in between the two good ones and have the data cables going from one of the dead S5's hashboards going to an extra connector on the I/O board of each of the good S5's. As for fan control on the brainless S5, noise is not an issue so I just have it running full speed by pulling the white and blue wires out of the fan connector. ( by pressing on the silver tab on the side of the connector, you can release the socket pin.)

Although my electric is $0.14111 per KW/h,  I still run the S5's for mining a select few of other altcoins. Those are altcoins that I have seen a consistent performance lately that are poised to become quite profitable after the bitcoin reward halving in June. I'm mining them for investment, not for instant profit.

My S7's are quickly becoming unprofitable with my electric rate. Soon I'm going to have to move the S7's to an office or apartment with free energy that has rent less than what I pay for electricity at home at the moment --- I've done this when I had S2's, let me tell you, landlords don't like it ;-) --- or I'll have to find a datacenter that has low low loooowww fees/electric or be landlord friendly and rent an apartment in South Dakota to house my miners, South Dakota electric rates are CHEAP! although being a 10-12hr drive. I have the equipment to make things completely controllable via the internet (IE hard reset via turning the power off, remote monitoring for climate conditions etc ) so I only have to go out there when catastrophic failure happens ... like one completely dies or a tornado decides to come rumbling through.

By doing so, the S5's become profitable again making a whole whopping $1 a day at current BTC value .... whoohoo ... beer money.
skez

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 05:46:29 AM

this might be a dumb question....but if i solo mined with a s5 would it still be as noisy as normal mining?...
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 07:34:54 AM

this might be a dumb question....but if i solo mined with a s5 would it still be as noisy as normal mining?...

Yes it will make the same noise whatever mining you do.

You can make it considerably quieter by under clocking and / or changing the fan though Wink.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: