Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:14:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Block Erupter: Dedicated Mining ASIC Project (Open for Discussion)  (Read 58543 times)
novusordo

Activity: 800
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 10:17:36 PM

I came in late, is the project still going forward despite all the GLBSE hoo ha?

Check the ASICMINER thread. Everything is still going, friedcat is just waiting for Nefario to send the list of shareholders.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 12:30:04 AM

All code with ASIC should be using USB direct not serial-USB
And having the serial-USB can cause problems on windows (and usually means a manual driver fix)

I've been screwing around with this for the last few weeks on an MMQ-FPGA converting it from serial-USB to USB
only to find all the windows problems were driver related - not my code.
Lucky I've had access in IRC to the guy who does libusb, to help me sort it out Smiley
Heh. There is exactly one prior FPGA mining setup I know of that speaks native USB - my toy 25 MH/s miner which isn't actually running at the moment. (Implements USB 1.1 on the FPGA itself using a cheap USB transceiver chip. Never caught on with anyone else for various reasons.)

Edit: Also, there's actually a 5th optimization you can do that's very worthwhile in FPGAs - you can push part of the computation of T1 into the previous pipeline stage/clock cycle to the rest of the SHA-256 round, which doesn't affect the amount of logic but does shorten the length of the critical path and increase your maximum clock. I think there are a few tricks with the W computations too...

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 12:44:40 AM

And having the serial-USB can cause problems on windows (and usually means a manual driver fix)

I've been screwing around with this for the last few weeks on an MMQ-FPGA converting it from serial-USB to USB
Lucky I've had access in IRC to the guy who does libusb, to help me sort it out Smiley
Heh. There is exactly one prior FPGA mining setup I know of that speaks native USB - my toy 25 MH/s miner which isn't actually running at the moment. (Implements USB 1.1 on the FPGA itself using a cheap USB transceiver chip. Never caught on with anyone else for various reasons.)
OT but yeah this is all the crap that Luke-Jr keeps going on about claiming cgminer is a fork of his miner - coz he wrote the first FPGA Serial-USB driver in cgminer ... that has been recoded in almost every possible place that matters since then ...
... and he started the whole problem I'm removing ... Tongue

Code done already for the ModMinerQuad - as my first step in the lead up to ASIC - so I could do something while waiting - should be in cgminer RSN Smiley

Interesting however, that from a hardware point of view, USB itself may end up being the bottleneck in processing in the not too distant future.

So ... who's planning a better hardware interface Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 08:46:18 AM

I had always imagined that if ASIC boards were produced at one point, we would connect them to PCI express x1 slots.
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 05:59:27 PM

I had always imagined that if ASIC boards were produced at one point, we would connect them to PCI express x1 slots.

No point in using a more expensive controller for the ASIC plus have more limited room and power availability.

Easier to just build large scale 2 or 4U boxes dedicated to the task.

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 10:35:34 PM

OT but yeah this is all the crap that Luke-Jr keeps going on about claiming cgminer is a fork of his miner - coz he wrote the first FPGA Serial-USB driver in cgminer ... that has been recoded in almost every possible place that matters since then ...

Code done already for the ModMinerQuad - as my first step in the lead up to ASIC - so I could do something while waiting - should be in cgminer RSN Smiley

Interesting however, that from a hardware point of view, USB itself may end up being the bottleneck in processing in the not too distant future.

If we're just going to transfer data & not draw any power,how about SATA.It's very fast & most mobo's have several extra & a card can installed to add more  Cool

I know as of now its only for hardrives,but can a perephrial device work on SATA  Huh

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 10:38:22 PM

If we're just going to transfer data & not draw any power,how about SATA.It's very fast & most mobo's have several extra & a card can installed to add more  Cool

Are you retarded, or just trolling?

LazyOtto

Activity: 476

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 10:40:23 PM

Are you doing an Inaba imitation?

He put out an idea. It might not be a good one.

Tell him the downsides of the idea rather than just be insulting.
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 10:46:21 PM

If we're just going to transfer data & not draw any power,how about SATA.It's very fast & most mobo's have several extra & a card can installed to add more  Cool

I guess I'm retarded...........just a thought  Roll Eyes

Why wouldn't it work  Huh

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 11:06:23 PM

You are not retarded.  D3 is being a little harsh. 

SATA phy would work, but a serial protocol is needed that does not incur contention present with a large number of bus nodes.  SATA data link is not appropriate since it's a ptp link.

A cascade/daisy chain linkage of sata phy ala the mini rig sc is a good example.  Still need a protocol.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 01:56:11 AM

When it comes to connections, something which supports broadcasts may be good. You can feed data in one burst and collect only those data blocks (results) which are interesting - this can be done on a p2p basis. Broadcasts can also be emulated in node based system where the p2p connections are distributed as a tree. However, that requires the nodes to have an understanding of the global layout.

I'd like to review an expert opinion on ethernet vs. USB interface. Any good links?

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 02:10:59 AM

When it comes to connections, something which supports broadcasts may be good. You can feed data in one burst and collect only those data blocks (results) which are interesting - this can be done on a p2p basis. Broadcasts can also be emulated in node based system where the p2p connections are distributed as a tree. However, that requires the nodes to have an understanding of the global layout.

I'd like to review an expert opinion on ethernet vs. USB interface. Any good links?

With Ethernet, the miners would just be emulating the miner interface itself (ie, directly connect to bitcoind).

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 02:39:54 AM

With Ethernet, the miners would just be emulating the miner interface itself (ie, directly connect to bitcoind).
Does it support UDP? Otherwise the handshake imposed by the TCP connection could be a problem in a scalable design.

"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 04:49:05 AM

Why does a bitcoin miner need a high bandwidth interface again?

People mine on pools all the time on sub-megabit internet connections.  Why are USB's multiple megabits not fast enough?

Am I missing something here?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 05:37:09 AM

People mine on pools all the time on sub-megabit internet connections.  Why are USB's multiple megabits not fast enough?

Am I missing something here?
ASICs crunch the numbers much faster. That means that the time to sweep a full nonce range is significantly shorter. Dependent on how much chips feed from a single master, the time to establish a connection can become rate limiting. Thus a communication protocol which avoids unnecessary handshakes and delivers new work to the chips continuously can be beneficial.

In any event, you want your communication protocol to avoid down time for the chips. That means once the chip is thru with some data, the next data should already be loaded and ready. So I guess you want to plug a few chips behind a controller, which handles all the communication and pushes work into a on PBC board memory.

How did the pools do it? Did they add additional servers on demand? How many GH can work off one server?

Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 08:48:54 AM

You are not retarded.  D3 is being a little harsh.  

SATA phy would work, but a serial protocol is needed that does not incur contention present with a large number of bus nodes.  SATA data link is not appropriate since it's a ptp link.

A cascade/daisy chain linkage of sata phy ala the mini rig sc is a good example.  Still need a protocol.

Tank ew berry mcchh 4 esplanin dis ta ma  Cheesy

DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 10:13:40 AM

Does it support UDP? Otherwise the handshake imposed by the TCP connection could be a problem in a scalable design.

Bitcoin JSONRPC doesn't do TCP, and UDP isn't recommended for reliability reasons. Existing miners don't have issues with TCP because we keep the connection open over long periods. Plus, even if you don't, each mining box itself (no matter how many chips are on it) would have one controller. Modern machines can handle a million TCP connections concurrently without breaking (usually its the software handling the connections that fails to scale long before any OS's given kernel breaks).

I don't recommend machines implement their own miner though: leave it to the experts like me and ck.

memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 10:40:27 AM

ASICs crunch the numbers much faster. That means that the time to sweep a full nonce range is significantly shorter.

Okay, another dumb question then... Can't you tune the expected response time by picking a lower target?
DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 10:50:16 AM

ASICs crunch the numbers much faster. That means that the time to sweep a full nonce range is significantly shorter.

Okay, another dumb question then... Can't you tune the expected response time by picking a lower target?

No, because ASICs, just like any other miner, will be looking for diff 1 candidates (ie, H == 0).

DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 11:10:14 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=130795.0

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: