Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:34:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Simple Machines forum & not anything else ?.  (Read 2440 times)
Madness (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 06:27:43 PM

Hey,

I was really wondering and to be honest this is the only forum with big community that I've seen that use Simple machines forum software,and not sure about this informations but heard that theymos pays 350k $ for developement on this forum ? Can anyone confirm?

I mean .. there is planty of awesome forum sofwares out there Open source , Alright IPB  & MyBB may be for small forums . but vBulletin can definitly do the job , It's not free but Licence is not that expensive to buy , certaintly not for a forum that gets donations like this one .

~~ Madness .

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 06:32:15 PM

You have to pay better attention.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=167.0

New forum software is in development and is supposed to be finished in a matter of months if I'm not mistaken.
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 07:35:03 PM

New forum software is in development and is supposed to be finished in a matter of months if I'm not mistaken.

From what I understood the new forum Software that is in Developement is another version of Simple machines forum , Correct ? Or it's completly new ? if not ... Because I was speaking about MyBB , vBulletin etc ... which are totally better from Security and design then Simple machines .

Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 08:56:48 PM

From what I understood the new forum Software that is in Developement is another version of Simple machines forum , Correct ? Or it's completly new ? if not ... Because I was speaking about MyBB , vBulletin etc ... which are totally better from Security and design then Simple machines .

No. The new forum software is being written entirely from scratch, and it uses Node.js. Not PHP like all the ones you've been mentioning.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 09:13:24 PM

No. The new forum software is being written entirely from scratch, and it uses Node.js. Not PHP like all the ones you've been mentioning.

Yes  , I think this is the gitHub repo :  https://github.com/epochtalk

Superhitech
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 09:18:05 PM

I am excited for the new forum, but I hope it doesn't look too different from the current version of this forum, as I am used to it.
AJinNYC

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Bored with you morons.

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 09:19:20 PM

So it'll be completely useless to people who don't have Javascript enabled then? Dumb.

JS can pose quite a security risk and a lot of people disable it. Kind of surprising coming from the BTC community, where everybody seems obsessed with security issues.

Done with this forum. Goodbye all.
LOBSTER

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 09:19:35 PM

It's safe and the best for our purposes Wink
Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 09:29:05 PM

So it'll be completely useless to people who don't have Javascript enabled then? Dumb.

JS can pose quite a security risk and a lot of people disable it. Kind of surprising coming from the BTC community, where everybody seems obsessed with security issues.

It's open-source and the code WILL be audited by someone. On top of that, anyone can audit the code actually.
AJinNYC

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Bored with you morons.

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 10:50:24 PM

It's open-source and the code WILL be audited by someone. On top of that, anyone can audit the code actually.

I'm not necessarily talking about the forum code itself. Hopefully user input will be heavily sanitized, because a user could easily use a form field (i.e; this post box, or the title field) to inject malicious code into the site, and use javascript to force a malware download or the like.

Done with this forum. Goodbye all.
LOBSTER

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 10:52:37 PM

Also the more add-ons and special options you have, the higher is the contact surface for hacker.
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:17:37 AM

Also the more add-ons and special options you have, the higher is the contact surface for hacker.

The forum got compromised even through avatars. I don't know how wise it will be to leave it exposed, the incentive to attack this is very high.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Bizmark13

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 05:21:10 AM

Shame about the avatars but I'm not surprised that theymos takes forum security very seriously. This forum is pretty much the epicenter of the Bitcoin community. If the community here was compromised in some way, then Bitcoin itself would most likely be affected too. Perhaps not on a technical level but you get the idea.

I was really wondering and to be honest this is the only forum with big community that I've seen that use Simple machines forum software,and not sure about this informations but heard that theymos pays 350k $ for developement on this forum ? Can anyone confirm?

Really? $350,000 for this forum? That sounds like too much. And isn't vBulletin normally considered to be the best forum software? Although my information might be out of date. And I don't think vBulletin is open source either.

I heard that someone (theymos perhaps?) was going to change the forum software but I'm not sure. There is also a mirror of the forum at bitcointa.lk which uses a forum software called XenForo which I've never heard of before. It calls itself "the Bitcointalk community with a proper forum software" but I don't think anyone uses it for anything other than finding deleted posts.
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 08:04:07 AM

I really heard of this programming language like for the second time xD I guess PrimeDice gambling website is written using this language , correct me if I'am wrong.
But does this mean that JavaScript will be enabled all the time and we should disable Adblock also otherwise the page won't display as it should be ? Shocked

peligro

Activity: 593

1NoBanksLuJPXf8Sc831fPqjrRpkQPKkEA

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 09:58:59 AM

I like this forum as it is. I have seen a lot of new, well designed forums with a lot of features and for some reason they don't appeal to me.
I think this forum needs small changes and it will be fine, like a 2 Factor Authentication (need it urgently), and a better search function. Adding avatar would be a bonus but only if it was sure it wouldn't compromise security.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 10:22:29 AM

I really heard of this programming language like for the second time xD I guess PrimeDice gambling website is written using this language , correct me if I'am wrong.
But does this mean that JavaScript will be enabled all the time and we should disable Adblock also otherwise the page won't display as it should be ? Shocked

There will be javascript but I think the forum will display fine with javascript disabled.

Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 10:38:49 AM

Shame about the avatars but I'm not surprised that theymos takes forum security very seriously. This forum is pretty much the epicenter of the Bitcoin community. If the community here was compromised in some way, then Bitcoin itself would most likely be affected too. Perhaps not on a technical level but you get the idea.

Really? $350,000 for this forum? That sounds like too much. And isn't vBulletin normally considered to be the best forum software? Although my information might be out of date. And I don't think vBulletin is open source either.

I heard that someone (theymos perhaps?) was going to change the forum software but I'm not sure. There is also a mirror of the forum at bitcointa.lk which uses a forum software called XenForo which I've never heard of before. It calls itself "the Bitcointalk community with a proper forum software" but I don't think anyone uses it for anything other than finding deleted posts.

As I heard yes it's about 350k $ not sure if the guy was just trolling but he seems like a serious member and he was Hero member if I'am not mistaken . & Yes vBulletin may not be Open source but it's definitly the best from Security and he should only Hire Couple of designers to make a nice Theme + Security Professionals to secure it . I would say It will cost him like 20k $ TOP .

There will be javascript but I think the forum will display fine with javascript disabled.

That wouldn't make sense a lot if you ask me Shocked
Anyway the new forum should be available by Feb 2015 (Couple of months more) but they said there will be a Beta test in the previous decemeber or november if I remember right but seems like there is nothing

Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 10:41:25 AM

Anyway the new forum should be available by Feb 2015 (Couple of months more) but they said there will be a Beta test in the previous decemeber or november if I remember right but seems like there is nothing

Why not? thats how the forum currently works. Javascript is optional.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 10:43:08 AM

It's not "just" for this forum, it could be a competitor to all the other forums. If they do it right, it could be quite a boon for bitcoin.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 10:43:24 AM

Why not? thats how the forum currently works. Javascript is optional.

Oh well Optional , I thought it's fully written in Javascript because it wouldn't make sense if it's full of Js & Adblock blocks the Javascript and you said it displays right Shocked

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: