Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:53:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First-Hand telling of an online Ponzi: Eve Online's Currin Trading  (Read 7992 times)
Vandroiy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 03:26:53 PM

This is an interesting psychological discussion...but I don't see anything about BTC. Should this be moved to one of the general off topic boards? Or maybe just a pirate hating board? Can we make a special one of those?

Of course I posted it because of the extreme analogies to "Bitcoin Savings and Trust". This is very relevant to Bitcoin right now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raw235

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 11:43:05 AM

Virtually all the HYIPs are Ponzi schemes.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 06:38:04 PM

Anyone who won't say what they intend to invest your money in, and won't explain how they plan to make money from doing so, can't be trusted. That's the first hurdle they should have to jump, and if you're not even demanding THAT, you're just giving your money away.

We should all know this by now.

Although at the same time, if they DID tell you exactly what they were doing, what would stop you from doing the same and cutting them out?

And furthermore, what if they were doing something illegal to get that return, and only by not telling you were you protected from liability? There are a couple 'investment funds' running around that I suspect aren't ponzi's but rather money laundering. Would you really want to know it made you an accessory to a crime?

more or less retired.
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 06:41:15 PM

Would you really want to know it made you an accessory to a crime?

YES, as it would be exposing me to additional counterparty risk of having my assets frozen.

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 06:56:27 PM

Anyone who won't say what they intend to invest your money in, and won't explain how they plan to make money from doing so, can't be trusted. That's the first hurdle they should have to jump, and if you're not even demanding THAT, you're just giving your money away.

We should all know this by now.

Although at the same time, if they DID tell you exactly what they were doing, what would stop you from doing the same and cutting them out?

I understand the risk there, but I personally wouldn't be looking for specifics. Something like "I'm turning over real estate", or "My clients invest the money to sell baked goods." Even "I'm mixing coins" would be something, but not too much of something to threaten his model.

Even bitscalper at least claimed to have a high-tech arbitrage bot.

And furthermore, what if they were doing something illegal to get that return, and only by not telling you were you protected from liability? There are a couple 'investment funds' running around that I suspect aren't ponzi's but rather money laundering. Would you really want to know it made you an accessory to a crime?

Yes, I would personally want to know, as it might affect my decision to invest (not everyone is willing to just do anything to make a buck, so long as they can't be held liable.)

Frankly, if the returns come from something like that, it's a bad, bad idea to solicit investors from a public forum anyway, for any number of reasons. One being the possible fallout on the forum community.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
gene

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 02:40:16 PM

Thanks for posting this. If the moderators had any sense of decency, this thread would be stickied in every subforum.

*processing payment* *error 404 : funds not found*
Do you want to complain on the forum just to fall for another scam a few days later?
| YES       |        YES |
nrd525
Legendary

Activity: 1867
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 02:49:02 PM

This should be stickied under Lending.

Digital Gold for Gamblers and True Believers
IamRichard

Activity: 567
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 04:17:00 AM

Excellent read, but this is still considered "small time" in eve online.

The largest was a few years back when someone created the "Eve intergalactic bank"

Ran off with 700+billion and that was valued at $190k usd or so.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/34217

If you want to check out eve online, remember to buy PLEX off me Smiley
Factory

Activity: 259

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:12:28 PM

An RPG scammer explains how to run a Ponzi scheme, and how he used his experience to detect another. Thanks to people on IRC for digging this up.

http://web.archive.org/web/20091026234156/http://geocities.com/currintrading/
http://web.archive.org/web/20091021193732/http://geocities.com/currintrading/bank.html

Read it and weep. If you really read it, you will know why to weep.

It has been many years since I have read this. Thanks for the link. It was just as interesting of a read this time as the last.
zyk

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:37:47 PM

i think its an awfull read.......and kindergardenlike ...by comparison to pirates accomplishments and turnover!

if thats the base he is accused off , then we should built him a monument
for delivering a 5 times better run ponzi......and he is far far ahead ...as if somebody could hit the treasure this way.

Correct is  that he hasn´t construed a compelling story yet and if never being able to do so, the scheme may collapse

earlier than it need to . Now is the time for the real story and that is: bitcoins are the new world reserve currency....

fuck your dollars, euros, renminbis......everybody..of course the criminals first want their assets move to bitcoin...

pirate is meeting the chinese tycoons, the vegas multimillion dollar gamblers, the frustrated savers all around the world,

bitcoinmax is available in every thinkable language, Mugabe is asking for an bitcoin exchange and the nigerians want to buy on ebay as well......

1 quadrillion dollars shadow banking liabilities.......verses 21 million bitcoins......God helpme...7 % weekly growth is a pittance

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:52:22 PM

i think its an awfull read.......and kindergardenlike ...by comparison to pirates accomplishments and turnover!

for delivering a 5 times better run ponzi......and he is far far ahead ...as if somebody could hit the treasure this way.

Correct is  that he hasn´t construed a compelling story yet and if never being able to do so, the scheme may collapse

earlier than it need to . Now is the time for the real story and that is: bitcoins are the new world reserve currency....

fuck your dollars, euros, renminbis......everybody..of course the criminals first want their assets move to bitcoin...

pirate is meeting the chinese tycoons, the vegas multimillion dollar gamblers, the frustrated savers all around the world,

bitcoinmax is available in every thinkable language, Mugabe is asking for an bitcoin exchange and the nigerians want to buy on ebay as well......

1 quadrillion dollars shadow banking liabilities.......verses 21 million bitcoins......God helpme...7 % weekly growth is a pittance

Zyk the Oracle speaks again!!
zyk

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 11:16:51 PM

every intrest accureing currency system is a ponzi thats not oraceling thats a fact Wink

but management is important.......peer to peer busts sombody at helm either way
Factory

Activity: 259

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:02:56 PM

While I hope Bitcoin continues to grow and succeed, I would hardly consider it the world reserve currency with such a low marketcap right now. Maybe in time.
zyk

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 04:31:41 PM

if pirate is not coming up with the right or at least some kind of compelling story....where even the contra PPT crowd

likes to work for...bitcoin community could get this going in no time..... if not all schemes collapse..

and i could buy some coins on the cheap Grin
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:41:13 AM

Excellent read, but this is still considered "small time" in eve online.

The largest was a few years back when someone created the "Eve intergalactic bank"

You could have at least read the whole thing before looking like a tool.

Coreadrin_47

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 10:40:11 PM

every intrest accureing currency system is a ponzi thats not oraceling thats a fact Wink

but management is important.......peer to peer busts sombody at helm either way

That's actually a misconception, since if you are a producer you can earn the exact same money over and over again as it circulates through the economy.

The "compound interest paradox" functions only on the assumption that all money is only spent once.  It is a farce.  Even if I borrowed $50,000 in an economy with $100,000 of total money available, I could earn that 50 times over if I produced enough.  Not saying I'd like to work my balls off like that, but it can be done, and that's the point.  The compound interest paradox is something touted by greenbacker "debt-free" money crazies who want to hand the printing press over to the political class directly, instead of the central banks, who are beholden to the banking system (you only get HIGH inflation from central banks, hyperinflation only comes from the political class because it wipes out the banking system, too).

Under hyperinflation, a farmer walks into a bank and pays off the entire nominal loan on his acreage and operations with a few flats of eggs.  The bank is done.  This does not happen with central banking and the current monetary setup we have here.  25% inflation annually for a while, sure - wipes out the middle class, takes the load off of the biggest debtors (banks and governments), and transfers wealth up to those who own the most non-financial assets.  Banks are also the biggest creditors, and creditors get destroyed by hyperinflation.
Coreadrin_47

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 10:40:41 PM

P.S. This was a great read, OP.  Thanks for sharing.
Fluttershy

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 02:35:36 AM

I can't believe people try to make money in EVE by investments when corps exist in nulsec.

You really don't need to participate in potential scams to get ahead in the game, those are for suckers. Get into a good corp and they'll take care of you. They'll outfit you with ships for missions because they value the strength of numbers. The best ones all ask for application fees before you can join, but once you're in, you're set for life. You'll be making more cash from ops than you ever thought existed in the game, you'll never have to pay for game time again because you'll be able to buy PLEX.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: