Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:08:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Started getting paid 100% in Bitcoin starting with my last paycheck  (Read 7006 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 08:31:50 PM

I work for General Dynamics, a company that is suckling on the US government's teet. They would never risk their sweet military industrial complex relationship with the government by accepting bitcoins.

I use bitwage.co (I do not work for them, just happy that I can get paid in Bitcoin).

I set up my direct deposit to the account number they provided me and my last paycheck it was all converted to bitcoins automatically. My bank never saw a penny of my paycheck.

That is the first step in dumping my bank forever.

For spending money I usually sell on localbitcoins for a profit anyway so I always have some cash on hand. And pretty much anything I want online can be paid in Bitcoin.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kipsy89

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Relax!

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 08:36:17 PM

Interesting! Make sure you have at least a nominal amount of regular FIAT money so you are not screwed in case the Bitcoin experiment goes belly-up at any point! It is an interesting ride, but we should never forget about the volatile and experimental nature of this whole endeavour!

ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 08:38:57 PM

Bitwage has always been interesting to me - I am planning a job with them over the summer and I'm curious about your overall experience and if you have any suggestions about the service you received.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 08:40:39 PM

I work for General Dynamics, a company that is suckling on the US government's teet. They would never risk their sweet military industrial complex relationship with the government by accepting bitcoins.

I use bitwage.co (I do not work for them, just happy that I can get paid in Bitcoin).

I set up my direct deposit to the account number they provided me and my last paycheck it was all converted to bitcoins automatically. My bank never saw a penny of my paycheck.

For spending money I usually sell on localbitcoins for a profit anyway so I always have some cash on hand. And pretty much anything I want online can be paid in Bitcoin.

This is awesome! Thanks for the head's up about bitwage.co!  Cheesy
canary

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 08:43:20 PM

'Dumping a bank forever'

It really sounds cool man, congrats on your first step about taking paycheck with BTC Wink
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 08:47:33 PM

Congrats... It must feel good eh?

If I had a job I'd use this service for sure..

I wonder how many others like you are out there using this service.

This could actually be some real big business if done right!

Anyway... Congrats again!

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 08:53:20 PM

cool stuff  Cool

i would start with 10% monthly  Wink

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 08:55:39 PM

Bitwage has always been interesting to me - I am planning a job with them over the summer and I'm curious about your overall experience and if you have any suggestions about the service you received.

The service was great. They have an online chat, I brought many complications with me because my phone number is German but I get paid in the US. They require phone verification but I doubt they did any testing with overseas numbers so they had to fix a few things to get my account working. They're still in Beta so I expected a few bumps but am surprised at how well it works.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 09:01:24 PM

Make sure you have at least a nominal amount of regular FIAT money so you are not screwed in case the Bitcoin experiment goes belly-up at any point!

Even if Bitcoin drops to $1 I have another paycheck coming in 2 weeks so...no biggie. Like I said, I sell on localbitcoins to get cash so I always have some spending money.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 09:35:20 PM

Make sure you have at least a nominal amount of regular FIAT money so you are not screwed in case the Bitcoin experiment goes belly-up at any point!

Even if Bitcoin drops to $1 I have another paycheck coming in 2 weeks so...no biggie. Like I said, I sell on localbitcoins to get cash so I always have some spending money.

I'm definitely gonna use this service soon. Most of my income has a corresponding expense, but that will change soon once I finish training (radiology) this summer.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
de3mka

Activity: 102
Merit: 13

How do I change an avatar?

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 09:43:22 PM

I think more people should follow your initiative. However I am afraid converting 100% of salary on a monthly basis is still risky. I would like to go with 10-20% though. Is there any way to do so?

Another concern I have are fees for this service and overall financial benefit for both me and an employer.

1) Converting my wage into BTC so I can make use of BTC infrastructure should bring me benefits over doing the same with fiat. At least it must save me transaction fees which I would have to pay if I buy anything with fiat.

2) Both my employer and me should have tax release for an amount converted into BTC as this could be treated as company benefit.

BTC: 16o89714EG9WGyi39NxifutFYk55QkxqQK
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 09:53:58 PM

you now need to push your local grocery store to accept bitcoin and your landlord. and then you'll be at my level of no FIAT Cheesy

i dont even look at the fiat price anymore, the only time i see price changes is when people write topics on these boards in their emotional panicking state.. lol to me bitcoin is better than fiat no matter what the crappy exchange values show

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 10:04:48 PM

I think more people should follow your initiative. However I am afraid converting 100% of salary on a monthly basis is still risky. I would like to go with 10-20% though. Is there any way to do so?

Another concern I have are fees for this service and overall financial benefit for both me and an employer.

1) Converting my wage into BTC so I can make use of BTC infrastructure should bring me benefits over doing the same with fiat. At least it must save me transaction fees which I would have to pay if I buy anything with fiat.

2) Both my employer and me should have tax release for an amount converted into BTC as this could be treated as company benefit.

Are you able to split your direct deposits between bank accounts? If so you can split it 10-20%, it goes by your direct deposit.

There are no fees though when I was paid the price was around $316 on Bitstamp and they paid me based on $319 so they may be adding 1% to their base price.

I have no idea about the employer using their service. As an employee my employer has no idea that I am being paid in Bitcoin.

de3mka

Activity: 102
Merit: 13

How do I change an avatar?

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 10:38:43 PM

Are you able to split your direct deposits between bank accounts? If so you can split it 10-20%, it goes by your direct deposit.
Most likely I can't. The only option would be to rewire 20% to bitwage.co from my primary account but this would mean paying international bank transfrer fees.

BTC: 16o89714EG9WGyi39NxifutFYk55QkxqQK
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 11:15:52 PM

Most likely I can't. The only option would be to rewire 20% to bitwage.co from my primary account but this would mean paying international bank transfrer fees.

My employer let's us split up our paychecks by fixed amount,  percentage, &  remainder.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 01:05:13 AM

Dude!!! That is awesome!!! All in!! Go big or go home!!
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 01:10:54 AM

Wow, that's quite some step you took there. Are there a lot of fees associated with that service? I'd prefer it if my employer paid me directly in Bitcoin, of course. Since you are effectively only forwarding your money directly to that service, there still are a lot of banks involved. But I agree that this is the next best thing to the dream of being paid in Bitcoin.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 01:56:04 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2015, 02:18:42 AM by QuantumQrack

I work at Micron Technologies, Inc. and I am doing something similar.  I just receive enough shitty fiat (of which the federal reserve counterfeits daily) to pay rent, utilitites, etc.  Everything else, starting this new year, is going into bitcoin via bitwage.co.  Once you are 100% in control of your money there is no going back to legacy banking.  Fuck you bankers.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 02:04:49 AM

If I ever work for a big corporation I will be doing the same!

Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2015, 02:59:32 AM

Wow. Talk about someone who believes so much in bitcoin. I mean you practically wager everything you earn with the hope bitcoin will one day becomes the standard currency! Good luck then. I'm not that brave as you but still keeping a portion in fiat to lower the risk.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: