Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:49:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: More Bitcoin adoption = lower Bitcoin/Usd rate!  (Read 4533 times)
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 06:33:33 PM

...how do you explain the first few years? It was worth only a fraction of a cent and now it's over $260.

Nothing to do with adoption.  I've invested in Bitcoin because I was betting that someone (such as yourself) will buy my coin from me @ a higher price.  So did everyone else who has made money on Bitcoin.

Really? I don't know if you can speak for everyone else.  I adopted it for easy gambling transactions, purchase it when I need it, and have never really heald longer then a few weeks, but have been lucky buying at the right times. Not sure where you have found the encouragement to speak on behalf of everyone who made money off bitcoin, but I can imagine some people were holding bitcoin for it's utility, while the price went up, which was probably awesome and enjoyed, but a generalization would be to say everyone who made money on it originally bought it as an investment.

I'm not speaking for everyone, certainly not for the gamblers such as yourself.  I'm sure adoption exists, just like I'm sure people watch pr0nz for their engaging story arc.  What I am saying is this:  Adoption is not what's driving BTC price, just like captivating plotlines are not the reason why pr0nz are popular.
I hope this makes shit clearer.
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 06:40:42 PM

Aha.  I think our disagreement is rooted in semantics:  Your definition of "making money" differs from the conventional.  By "making money," mundanes such as myself mean "ending up with more money than one started with."
You, OTOH, have spent money on Bitcoin gadgetry, ending up with less of it.  Or, as us bland normals say, you've lost money.

Now that we've defined our terms, we can continue our chat on much firmer footing Smiley
Yep, I think semantics is not our only problem... you seem to think that when I buy something that I find useful; I've somehow lost money. Just because I bought something that you (and some others) might think is useless, doesn't mean I've lost money. Spending money is not losing it. Losing money means you have nothing to show for it.

Let's see, I originally bought X coins, and used some to buy bitcoin gadgetry and now I have X+5 coins and if I sold them today I'd still be up over 100% on my original investment... I just don't see where I'm losing all this money.

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
NotLambchop

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 06:49:31 PM

^
Lol, spending money may not be losing it (though, let me assure you, in your case it is), but, you must agree, it's certainly not "making money" Cheesy
If you sold your coins today, you would recoup some of your investment (forgive me for not taking the word of an admitted gambler at face value, I somehow doubt you're in the black even if we're talking unrealized profits), but you won't, will you?  So yeah, you're losing money hand over fist Undecided
freebit13

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 06:57:41 PM

Why do I bother... it's clear that you have no other motive but to troll... whenever I say something that makes sense, you suggest I'm lying... your age shows in your posts. I will leave you to it. Have fun  Wink

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
NotLambchop

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:02:13 PM

^You clearly do not always tell the truth--you've claimed to have made money on Bitcoin, turns out you've only lost money thus far.  I feel my caution is justified Undecided
sobitcoin

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:04:28 PM

...how do you explain the first few years? It was worth only a fraction of a cent and now it's over $260.

Nothing to do with adoption.  I've invested in Bitcoin because I was betting that someone (such as yourself) will buy my coin from me @ a higher price.  So did everyone else who has made money on Bitcoin.

Really? I don't know if you can speak for everyone else.  I adopted it for easy gambling transactions, purchase it when I need it, and have never really heald longer then a few weeks, but have been lucky buying at the right times. Not sure where you have found the encouragement to speak on behalf of everyone who made money off bitcoin, but I can imagine some people were holding bitcoin for it's utility, while the price went up, which was probably awesome and enjoyed, but a generalization would be to say everyone who made money on it originally bought it as an investment.

I'm not speaking for everyone, certainly not for the gamblers such as yourself.  I'm sure adoption exists, just like I'm sure people watch pr0nz for their engaging story arc.  What I am saying is this:  Adoption is not what's driving BTC price, just like captivating plotlines are not the reason why pr0nz are popular.
I hope this makes shit clearer.

My apologies, when i read "So did everyone else who has made money on Bitcoin." I assumed you meant everyone else, I will do my best to read between the lines next time.   Roll Eyes
NotLambchop

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:12:06 PM

^It's not reading between the lines but reading without discarding the context.  Freebit13 asked how BTC price has moved from 0 to a few bucks.  I've explained how it happened Smiley
freebit13

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:12:23 PM

^You clearly do not always tell the truth--you've claimed to have made money on Bitcoin, turns out you've only lost money thus far.  I feel my caution is justified Undecided
Perhaps my language was not clear: what I meant was that if I cashed out today I'd make 10x my original investment.

Edit: oh and I've taken out my original fiat investment also, but that's just lost value in my cupboard since then...

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
NotLambchop

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:16:56 PM

^You clearly do not always tell the truth--you've claimed to have made money on Bitcoin, turns out you've only lost money thus far.  I feel my caution is justified Undecided
Perhaps my language was not clear: what I meant was that if I cashed out today I'd make 10x my original investment.

No.  It's your understanding that's suspect.  I neither believe that you're up x10, nor that you will sell today.  Just one of the above is sufficient to say that thus far, you've only lost money Smiley
freebit13

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:18:30 PM

Sorry, you must have missed my edit... if bitcoin went to $0 tomorrow, I'd still break even.

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
NotLambchop

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:21:59 PM

Sorry, you must have missed my edit... if bitcoin went to $0 tomorrow, I'd still break even.

Now you are not only lying, but lying badly.  Get good, brah Cheesy
freebit13

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:22:56 PM

No.  It's your understanding that's suspect.  I neither believe that you're up x10, nor that you will sell today.  Just one of the above is sufficient to say that thus far, you've only lost money Smiley
I can't help it if you won't believe me... I bought coins at $27... you do the math!

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
freebit13

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:25:03 PM

There you go... if you can't handle the truth, call them a liar.

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
NotLambchop

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:28:49 PM

I can't help it if you won't believe me... I bought coins at $27... you do the math!

You want me to do math the way you Bitcoiners do.  It goes like this:

1.  You bought coin @27.
2.  You also bought coin @600, 540, 480, 380, etc., etc.
3.  You got pwnt by your friend, the other Bitcoiner, who sold you shit he didn't deliver.
4.  Ignore (2) and (3), use (1) only to calculate mad profits.

Did I do good?

NotLambchop

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:30:13 PM

There you go... if you can't handle the truth, call them a liar.

You've been caught in one lie, my scepticism is only reasonable Undecided
freebit13

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:47:39 PM

You want me to do math the way you Bitcoiners do.  It goes like this:

1.  You bought coin @27.
2.  You also bought coin @600, 540, 480, 380, etc., etc.
3.  You got pwnt by your friend, the other Bitcoiner, who sold you shit he didn't deliver.
4.  Ignore (2) and (3), use (1) only to calculate mad profits.

Did I do good?
Nope, once again your assumptions are way off, it goes like this if you can believe/handle it:

1.  I bought coin @27.
2. I sold some coins for cash on localbitcoins to buy mining gear on Alibaba with my credit card, but that didn't come through so I got a refund (savvy huh) and put that away in my cupboard as it was the same as my original fiat investment.
3. I then bought mining gear when btc was @ $1000.
4. I bought more mining gear when it was @ $800.
5. I bought 3 Trezor wallets when it was at $300.
6. Now I'm still sitting with all my original coins in paper wallets and still have 3.5 extra to spend on whatever new bitcoin gadgetry catches my eye.

I avoided your number 2 because I bought all I needed when I first heard about bitcoin and held on to them.
I also avoided your number 3 because I did my research diligently before buying anything. BFL almost got me, but it was obvious that what they were offering was a pipe dream.

I'm not exactly a whale, very far from it, but I've definitely not lost any money in bitcoin.

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
freebit13

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:48:31 PM

Which lie is that exactly... please quote it for me.

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
NotLambchop

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:56:04 PM

Which lie is that exactly... please quote it for me.

The lie that you've made money.  Even if I take your story at face value, you've only spent money.  You have made a few digital tokens, which you are not planning to sell.
freebit13

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:59:12 PM

If you read #2 in my post above, you'll see that I have already taken my original fiat investment out, so I am currently even, with a few digital tokens to boot!

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
traderman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:07:46 PM

This thread is getting way off course. LOL
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: