Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:33:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain's Refused From S9 Warranty, Buy at your own risk  (Read 19500 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Tupsu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 01:03:08 AM
Last edit: September 02, 2016, 12:56:14 PM by Tupsu

Bitmain's Refused From S9 Warranty

I used an old topic to write more of my problem with BITMAIN and Antminer S9 warranty problem.

I have 23 x Antminer S9.

11 pieces Antminer S9 are from Batch1, because I have three bitmain accounts. (purchase limit was 5 pieces per account)

One of the S9 miners is only empty shell, because from the 4 miners one hashboards  are now shipped to repair. Total 4 pieces.
Three of them have already been repaired, but one which I sent to Bitmain from other account with only few purchases, Bitmain refused to repair.

The reason is - PIN is lost in circuits board.
No one here could  explain what it means.

I paid for that f miner 4 BTC shipped + 20% VAT
I do not agree,  that Bitmain refuses from its warranty obligations. I've met all warranty instructions.

1. My shipment was packed with a lot better than the Bitmain manual provides
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0LdykALhxI&feature=youtu.be

The board was in a static envelope, wrapped with a lot of bubble wrap and all placed in big strong carton.
All  six sides empty seats in the box were filled with ultrafill granul.

2. The box is so large that to obtain such an injury  by courier company, he must have external injuries.
I have exactly with the same type of package sent three more blades to repair. Separate packs for different times. The same courier company, without any issue.

3. At what stage of sending the injury occurred ?
 As it turns out, Bitmain is sent  all hashboards from Hong Kong Warehouse forth to repair workshop.
See answer from Customer Service-Overseas August 18, 2016 12:15

The package has been delivered to Hongkong.
It will take several days for Customs clearance, after which the package will be forwarded to our repair facility. We will update you on the status of the repair ticket when it has been completed.

4. Whether the injury might occur during repair. With overheated thermal glue radiators may easily come off.  If too much thermal glue has been placed, they may bring something else from hashbord with glue and radiator.

5. Are the fallen radiators  frequent problem with S9 hashblades ? Yes.  This is one of the reasons for the repair and if it has happened, it must be written  before shipping in  this formular.  
To View original size - Click on the picture

The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tupsu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 01:03:30 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2016, 12:48:43 PM by Tupsu

First they lost the warranty return package for some days.  From Tracking number I saw- delivered.

I opened Request #12212

Tupsu August 18, 2016 11:26

Hi, my repair ticket ID 03320160813070114259mCdrl8rX06EC from 2016-08-13 07:01:14 status is Uncollected.
Please correct status. Item is delivered. See picture above

View original size - Click on the picture

2016-08-17 11.00 HKG, Final delivery

Customer Service-Overseas August 18, 2016 12:15

Dear Tupsu,

It will take several days for Customs clearance, after which the package will be forwarded to our repair facility. We will update you on the status of the repair ticket when it has been completed.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Best regards,
Customer Service-Overseas
Bitmain.

It means that Bitmain sends haschboards  anywhere to repair.  This is the address what we do not know.
But it takes up to a week, before you package status is changed to colleckted.

22 August Bitmain send imeil- "Scrap equipment notice"- with table - Scrap equipment notice

reply with the question of what it means  opened Ticket  Request #12545
the answer was

Customer Service-Overseas Tuesday at 04:46

Dear Tupsu,

Please provide us a screenshot of the miner status and overview when it is connected with your computer to reconfirm the problem. This will help us determine where the issue is occurring.

For more troubleshooting you may visit: http://support.bitmain.com/hc/en-us/articles/220872007-Possible-problems-for-Antminer-Troubleshooting

If you are able to determine which part is defective please create the repair ticket as detailed in the link below.
https://cnshop.bitmain.com/workOrderGuide.htm

If you still need assistance please reply to this email so that we can investigate further.

Best regards
Quentin
Bitmain

I opened a new Request #12644 with question - What mean PIN is lost in circuits board ?

Customer Service-Overseas Tuesday at 14:30

Dear customer,

Your hash board was damaged physically before we received it. It may happened in transit.
If you need the picture of the hash board, I can send it to you.

Yours respectfully,
Quentin

Tupsu Tuesday at 15:13

Post a picture of the injury., damage and not close the thread. Nothing is solved. I read the sama B.S. from lost PIN before in bitmaintalk forum.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1576941.0

Tupsu Tuesday at 20:00

Where is the picture with high resolution and with a serial number and damage ?

Customer Service-Overseas Yesterday at 11:11

Dear customer,

Sorry to keep you wait.
As you can see in the attachment, two heat sinks of the hash board dropped off, which lead to the PIN lost in circuits board. The hash board is likely to be hit in transit.
Our engineer have tried their best, but it is no use. It can not be repaired anymore.
We suggest you to make a claim to your logistics agent.

Please find our returning policy in the attachment.

Yours respectfully,
Quentin

Tupsu Yesterday at 12:59

You're lying.
I want proof that this is my hashchboard. High resolution image os whole haschboard, which also shows the serial number,
It is not possible, that whit transport was off the radiator or radiator with chips.
Before packing tI carefully checked all radiators on the on the side . All were tight.
With My package was not possible for them to become damaged during transport.

It possible that your engineer making injury during repair, or this is or it is not my blade. I want to warranty repair or replacement.

I have in my side fulfilled all the terms of the warranty..

first I want new and better picture with serial to prove that it is my haschboard.

............................................................................... ...
 Customer Service-Overseas Yesterday at 13:32

Dear customer,

Sorry to keep you wait.
I have asked out maintenance team to provide the resolution image.
Once update, I will let you know.

Yours respectfully,
Quentin
............................................................................... ......

Tupsu Yesterday at 14:07

Even if it is my haschboard, Why do not the pictures taken when a loses radiators was detected?

See Request #12212 what I opened, when you got the package.
You got the package 2016-08-07.
To get these injuries , Box had to be physically damaged, bruised or open.
Why then did you not informed of the injury courier companie?

If there was no external injuries on the box, it could not have happened during transport. The same could be happen during the repair process.

How can you be sure that it happened during shipping not during repair ?

Tupsu Today at 07:22

Together with the other members of the forum, I came to conclusion ,
that this is a low-resolution image is from my haschblade. But I still want a high resolution image at the same place, showing serial and place who come out of the radiators.

Please indicate the precise location of lose PIN with red circle .
I also want image from 2 radiator lower side with the clue and with lose PIN in clue..
Waiting from pictures.

Customer Service-Overseas Today at 10:51

Dear customer,

At your request, I have provided you with the high resolution image.
I have indicated the precise location of lose PIN with red mark.

Yours respectfully,
Quentin

Tupsu Today at 11:47

Please indicate more specifically the area, who must be located this lost PIN.
I also look forward for picture from my lost radiators bottom side.

Customer Service-Overseas Today at 13:36

Dear customer,

Sorry to keep you wait.
I have asked out maintenance team to provide image you asked.
Once update, I will let you know.

Yours respectfully,
Quentin

Tupsu Today at 12:24

Still waiting for this image.

Customer Service-Overseas Today at 13:37

Dear customer,

Sorry to keep you wait.
We receive a lot of package everyday. It is difficult for us to find the two lost radiators.
The pictures I provided to you before has already proved that the scraped hash board is yours. Our engineer has tried their best, but still can not repair the hash board.
We can return the hash board to you if you would like.

Yours respectfully,
Quentin

Tupsu Today at 15:44

Please indicate more specifically the area, who must be located this lost PIN.
I also look forward tfor picture from my lost radiators bottom side.

No one can explain what lost PIN means. Obviously, there is something lost in translation.

But if But if no one in bitcointalk.org/ Forum not know what missed PIN is, then it needs to be clarified.

The fact that you can not repair this hashblade , it does not matter. I got back total 4 hashblades sended to repair from my other account, and all were replacements. None of my sent blades come to me back.

I have fulfilled all the conditions of the warranty. Please read my explanation of the topic here.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=914354.0

Tupsu Today at 15:45

I do not agree, that Bitmain refuses from its warranty obligations. I've met all warranty instructions.

1. My shipment was packed with a lot better than the Bitmain manual provides

The board was in a static envelope, wrapped with a lot of bubble wrap and all placed in big strong carton.
All six sides empty seats in the box were filled with ultrafill granul.

2. The box is so large that to obtain such an injury by courier company, he must have external injuries.
I have exactly with the same type of package sent three more blades to repair. Separate packs for different times. The same courier company, without any issue.

3. At what stage of sending the injury occurred ?
As it turns out, Bitmain is sent all hashboards from Hong Kong Warehouse forth to repair workshop.
See answer from Customer Service-Overseas August 18, 2016 12:15

4. Whether the injury might occur during repair. With overheated thermal glue radiators may easily come off. If too much thermal glue has been placed, they may bring something else from hashbord with glue and radiator.

5. Are the fallen radiators frequent problem with S9 hashblades ? Yes. This is one of the reasons for the repair and if it has happened, it must be written before shipping in this formular.
............................................................................... ...

Tupsu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 05:13:32 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2016, 09:56:15 AM by Tupsu

Tupsu Sunday at 11:33

Still waiting for pickture. Please indicate more specifically the area, who must be located this lost PIN.

Customer Service-Overseas Yesterday at 10:57

Dear customer,

Sorry to keep you wait.
The PIN refer to the silvery white cables connected with the chips. As you can see in the attachment, some cables connected with these two chips has dropped off.
I have marked the precise location of lose PIN with three red circles。

Please let me know you have any other concerns.

Yours respectfully,
Quentin

Tupsu Yesterday at 16:58

Thank you. Now I know what it means - Lost PIN.

But it's not my fault, nor the shipping company fault.
This error results from your production process.
These two chips came loose as a result of chips overheating over 200C and caused the melting of solder. Too muchthermo glue on radiator took the lead lost pin.

In this case, if the product can not be repaired, it should be easy to replace with new hashboard.
When I bought the product, I read through the warranty conditions:
3. The following events will void the warranty:

a. Customer removes/replaces any components by himself without receiving permission from Bitmain first;

b. Damage caused by poor power supply, lightning or voltage surges;

c. Burnt parts on hash boards or chips;

d. Miner/boards/components damage due to water immersion or corrosion due to wet environment.

I used Bitmain PSU, Is now working well with another S9
No visually burnt parts or corrosion.

So I have met all of these conditions . Before sending I watched Bitmain packing video and my package was packed even better.

Therefore, I am fulfilled all the requirements of your warranty and now look forward to the part of your warranty.
I am sure that the injury could also happen, when you send the parcel from Hong Kong warehouse to your repairing place.
Since your parcel will be sent by your Company, I can not blame for physical damage my postal compani EMS

You also did not inform me from The injury immediately after receipt of the parcel 17 august 2016, It can therefore be assumed that the parcel reached you without any external injury.

Waiting for you by sending a replacement hashblade. , If you do not have 650M hashblade, it it may also be 600M Hashblade, because this miner was working anyway with only 600 frequency.

Customer Service-Overseas Today at 09:42

Dear customer,

Sorry to keep you wait.
The PIN is lost resulting from the lost of heat sinks. And the heat sinks are lost as the hash board is hit. We have informed you immediately when we find the problem. It is not our faulty.
I understand your position. But according to our policy, the scraped hash board can not be replaced.

Yours respectfully,
Quentin

Tupsu Today at 11:38

Hi,

You did not inform me at the right time..
If I buy a new miner, and it is with lose radiators, then I have to inform Bitmain it within 3 days. It is in your warranty terms :
6. If you notice there are some loose heatsinks when you receive the miner, please inform us by email to info@bitmaintech.com within 3 days from the date the package is received according to UPS/DHL/FEDEX's website.

You received parcel from EMS courier 17 august 2016
You send me 22. aug, 2016 - Repair Collect Send.

Moreover, there is about lost PIN condition of any word in Warranty terms by purchasing.,
There is only: 7 point that I'm all filled.

Warranty:
Code:
1. A 90-day warranty is provided starting from the shipping date. To avail this warranty a Repair ticket must be generated by the customer on Bitmain's website. Overclocking the miner will void the warranty immediately.
2. All sales are final. No refunds will be granted. Defective miners can be repaired for free if they fall under the Bitmain warranty policy. After the warranty period, machines can be repaired at the cost of parts and labor.

a. Customer removes/replaces any components by himself without receiving permission from Bitmain first;

d. Miner/boards/components damage due to water immersion or corrosion due to wet environment.
4. For all repairs or RMA, within warranty or not, customer must return the defective parts at his/her own expense after opening a support ticket and troubleshooting with Bitmain's instructions.
5. Bitmain will cover shipping cost when shipping a replacement unit within the warranty period.
6. If you notice there are some loose heatsinks when you receive the miner, please inform us by email to info@bitmaintech.com within 3 days from the date the package is received according to UPS/DHL/FEDEX's website.
7. Bitmain does not take any responsibility for or compensate for any loss as result of downtime caused by delays in transportation as a result of custom formalities or other reasons.

Fill now iyour obligation to send a replacement hashboard.

Tupsu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 06:11:09 AM
Last edit: September 02, 2016, 12:54:27 PM by Tupsu

Customer Service-Overseas Tuesday at 13:24

Dear customer,

Just as what I told you before, It takes several days for Customs clearance. That is why we did not inform you on 17 August 2016. Only when the package was forwarded to our repair facility, we opened the package and find the problem of the hash board. And we informed you immediately.

Yours respectfully,
Quentin

Tupsu Tuesday at 17:45

Do you agree that my shipment was packed according to your requirements video or not?
I'd even say that my shipment was packed better.

Do you agree that I have complied all the conditions of the guarantee therms, which has written a miner sales l page ?
https://shop.bitmain.com/product.htm

Customer Service-Overseas Wednesday at 13:03

Dear customer,

Sorry to keep you wait.
We are always trying to provide the customer with better service.
We will take it as a particular case and send you a replacement.

If you are satisfied with our solution, we appreciate that you can update our finally solution to the forum and remove the negative feedback.

We are looking forward to develop a long-term and mutually partnership with you.

Yours respectfully,
Quentin

Tupsu Wednesday at 13:16

Thank you for the warranty obligations. I have already removed the negative feedback, it has nothing to do with this warranty dispute.

But it is an unending story .
I have the next non-working Center Hashboard in one S9 working miner.
Shipped 2016-08-18 .
How am I supposed to wrap ithis hashboard, that the same situation does not happen again ?
Do I need to send a whole miner?

Does your company sells S9 hashboards for warranty expired miners ?

Customer Service-Overseas Yesterday at 04:42

Dear customer,

Please don't ship back the whole unit.
Please follow the instruction as below to pack the hash board.
Packing process: https://youtu.be/Z0LdykALhxI

We don't have spare hash board for sales due to tight inventory, sorry.

Yours respectfully,
Quentin

THE END
Tupsu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 06:11:26 AM
Last edit: September 02, 2016, 12:47:34 PM by Tupsu

A little bit about me.

I mined already for some years. Direct from Bitmain I started buying from Antminer S2 Batch1 . Total of 14 pieces.
Next miner was Antminer S3 , about 50  pieces from different Batches.
2 x Antminer S4, over 40 Antminer S5.

After that 43 x Antminer S7 from Batch1 to Batch8

Today I have 23 x Antminer S9.

I spent a total over 300 BTC  and several tens of thousands of euros for  Miners' purchase direct from Bitmain .
Tupsu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 06:11:45 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2016, 09:44:44 AM by Tupsu

This must be filled before shipping

If you are reading Problem Type, then  one of the problems in the list   is:
heat sinks dropped (marked blue from me)

question

How they must not be dropped  during shipment,  when the hashblade  is overheated ?

In my case it was definitely overheated,  as one of the fan speed was only 920 rpm.

I'm guilty because  bitmain using bad fan  ?
I'm just not sent Bitmain a bad  fan , which led to overheating center board.

It is not possible, that whit  transport was off the radiator or radiator with chips.
Before packing I carefully checked all  radiators on the on the side . All were tight.
With My package was not possible for them to become damaged during transport.

Questions still remain.

It possible that your  engineer making  injury during repair, or this is or it is not my blade. I want to warranty repair or replacement.

I have in my side  fulfilled all the terms of the warranty..

Tupsu Today at 14:07

Even if it is my haschboard, Why do not the pictures taken when a loses radiators was detected?

See Request #12212 what I opened, when you got the package.
You got the package 2016-08-07.
To get these injuries , Box had to be physically damaged, bruised or open.
Why then did you not informed of the injury courier companie?

If there was no external injuries on the box, it could not have happened during transport. The same could be happen during the repair process.

How can you be sure that it happened during shipping not during repair ?

Tupsu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 10:19:14 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2016, 09:41:38 AM by Tupsu

Antminer S9  Warranty policy.  This is the only thing that you can read before you buy S9.

Warranty:

1. A 90-day warranty is provided starting from the shipping date. To avail this warranty a Repair ticket must be generated by the customer on Bitmain's website. Overclocking the miner will void the warranty immediately.
2. All sales are final. No refunds will be granted. Defective miners can be repaired for free if they fall under the Bitmain warranty policy. After the warranty period, machines can be repaired at the cost of parts and labor.
4. For all repairs or RMA, within warranty or not, customer must return the defective parts at his/her own expense after opening a support ticket and troubleshooting with Bitmain's instructions.
5. Bitmain will cover shipping cost when shipping a replacement unit within the warranty period.
7. Bitmain does not take any responsibility for or compensate for any loss as result of downtime caused by delays in transportation as a result of custom formalities or other reasons.

But when S9 need of warranty repair, then it turns out that there are MORE BITMAIN WARRANTY RULES.
From Bitmain shipping rules

Returning policy:

1.   Warranty period: 90 days after the product is shipped out. Repair tickets should be created within 90 days, otherwise the warranty will be void.

2.   Please MAKE SURE the declare value should be “within $45” and the description of the product should be
     “Warranty part” on the waybill, otherwise the extra fee of custom clearance will be billed to the client.
 3.   For the miner, please DO NOT return the whole unit , and simply return the defective part (Hash board, IO board or BB board),please refer to the pictures below.
      For the PSU ,please  do not disassemble it and ship back the whole unit.
 4.   Be sure enclosed  the RMA info in the format below in the parcel .

5.  The package will be rejected if there is no Repair Ticket created.

Within warranty: RMA instructions, Warranty period: 90 days after the product is shipped out. Repair tickets should be created within 90 days, otherwise the warranty will be void, Our Engineers will analyze the reason causing malfunction after receiving the returned package.

1.   If the issues are caused by the boards themselves, free repair will be provided
2.   If the miner is out of warranty or burnt out, we will charge the repairing fee.

Shipping way:
UPS,DHL,FEDEX,EMS, TNT, USPS, or your local post office are available.please note that EMS and USPS provide poor service in HK,we cant ensure they can delivery the parcels in time.
NOTE:
1.   Be sure mark "deliveries are made on working days only" and "Antminer" on the items description of
      the waybill.Otherwise we wont accept any delay due to missing of these info .

2.   It's necessary to package the hashboard very carefully. We can not repair if the PIN on hashboard is lost because of the shipping problem. Please claim to your logistics agent if the PIN is lost on the way.
3.  The HongKong warehouse only responsible for receiving the parcels ,we wont accept "Freight Collect",please pay
      the shipping cost in your side. Please mark the warehouse NO. 3811

4. Packing process: https://youtu.be/Z0LdykALhxI
Code:
Consignee: (The package will be rejected if there is no "No.3811"; The PSU can not be packed with other stuff in the same tracking number because of customs clearance)
Name:FUKWOK KWONG-No.3811
Company Name:TUNG-D INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT LIMITED Warehouse No.3811
Address:Unit 104, 1/F, Sunbeam Centre, 27 Shing Yip Street, Kwun Tong, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Office Tel:+852-2750 5059 (The number is only available for logistics not for service )               
Warehouse:Tel: +852-2750 5150(The number is only available for logistics not for service )

Out of warranty(our US agency): RMA instructions for miners
Please kindly contact our US agency first before returning for repairing.

1.   The bill will be sent to you once the machine is fixed well.Be sure package them well before shipping out,if the boards get damaged during transportation,we wont provide repair any more .
2.   If you have any objections about the repair cost, please contact us by info@bitmaintech.com

Code:
Consignee:
Company name: Bitmain Warranty
Address: 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239 Denver, Colorado 80207, USA.
Tel: 844-248-6246                                                                                   
How to contact our agency in USA:
http://www.bitmainwarranty.com
http://bitmain.zendesk.com
support@bitmainwarranty.com

So I can not insure the shipment with   the real value of it.
Tupsu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 10:19:34 AM

I have pictures taken before shipment.
Do not see anything that would be missing.

talks_cheep
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 11:34:33 AM

Go, tupsu!

Make enough of a stink, bitmain will fold. Soon. I hope then send you a whole new S9! That's the least they can do at this point.

philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 7840

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2016, 01:15:36 PM

Ask them if an employee dropped it and the heat sinks fell off.

Frankly  bitmaintech  has over 45,000 btc coins in their main address. These warranty issues look really petty on their part.

Tell them this  you listed the board for say 40 bucks value as requested.  A new board is worth about 500.

They owe you 460 in usd.   This is something that could be won in a court of law.  Even in a hong kong court of law. 

They simply should not ask for  a 45 or less value on the package.   Just because the package can be damaged. Leaving you with a 460 difference in claim vs real value.

Why have a warranty if you are exposed to this extra risk?

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2524

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 01:25:31 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2016, 01:40:46 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

At least the pic from Bitmain answered the question about "missing PIN".
Let's substitute the word FIN, it fits better with um, component with fins on it.... aka heatsinks.

Since posting the pics, am surprised no one has mentioned the square gray component (looks like a ferrite of some sort) that is seen under the s9 name on the board. Ya know - the one that is definitely not placed squarely on the board and looks damn close to shorting itself out?

The declared value part...They claim if you want faster processing by Customs - keep the declared value low. I can understand that as it is the same for goods coming into the USA. In the past many folks here sorta pushed Bitmain to that 'suggestion'. Problem is: as Phillipma said you are also setting oneself up to take a big hit if a missing/damaged good claim has to be filed.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 02:23:01 PM

I believe that ferrite of some sort would be the inductor on the regulator supplying the node-level LDOs for IO voltages at the top of the string. No guarantees on that but it's my guess.

I would also guess they're more upset about the corner ASIC which was more firmly bonded to the heatsik than the PCB so when the heatsink was ripped off it took the chip with it and probably damaged pads (or "pins"?) on the PCB.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 02:24:06 PM

This is why this design is lame.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 02:34:24 PM

vs doing it how else?
Underclocking so top sinks not needed? 1 big top sink milled as needed for clearances?

Critique implies knowing a better or at least different way of doing something.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 02:38:53 PM

vs doing it how else?
Underclocking so top sinks not needed? 1 big top sink milled as needed for clearances?

S1 / S3 design.  

Working product >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 02:47:55 PM

vs doing it how else?

S1 / S3 design.  

Working product >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all.
Entirely different power densities involved so simply not possible.
Ja in a dreamers world diff would stay low so hash rates needed would stay low as well negating the need for today's zippy and power hungry ASICs. Blame Satoshi. He knew full well how technology would respond to diff increasing.

Tupsu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 02:54:34 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2016, 07:16:27 PM by Tupsu

Today I received from  guarantee back  three hashboards.

One  with slightly brown PCI-E  
At least two of these boards is not that, what I sent them.
EDIT. All three boards are not main and are replaced

Watch the opening video

http://toru.ee/view/8d41dd08709a

http://toru.ee/view/8d41dd08709a

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 03:12:40 PM

I'd rather see solid heatsinks on both sides even if one has to be milled for clearances. Bitmain would rather go the cheap (and demonstrably less reliable) route, which does nicely keep node-level power differences isolated so that's a benefit. Course I'd also rather see lower power density than 4x the heat per volume of the S3. It's great if you're limited on shelf space, but for most folks space is probably the cheapest part of the equation. It's not the super-powerful ASICs that's the problem (I think BM1382 generated more heat per chip), it's cramming 60 of them on a board the size of a paperback book.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
fusion0389

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 03:18:23 PM

So you have 4 bad hash boards, three have been successfully replaced. Just out of curiosity, what batch of S9's are these bad boards coming from?
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3860

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 04:00:57 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2016, 04:59:19 PM by Biodom

it would be nice to know what "PIN is lost in circuit board" actually means.

Barring knowing this, and considering that this is most likely the correct board here is a thought: is it possible that some all thumbs guy at HK customs was the one who did it? I see this as a possibility considering that @Tupsu took pictures and packed it well. This, or the tech at HK repair shop dropped it. They will never admit it, though. What a disaster!

EDIT: four boards out of 69? This is about 6%. Way too high a number for a miner that can breakeven in a year, maybe.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: