Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:44:48 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin ends up to be a ponzi scheme after all  (Read 1559 times)
sumzeroend (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 04:56:57 AM

Bitcoin now ends up to be a ponzi after all, No matter how thin scammers slice it

It's just a pyramid scheme of
Few of who sell first able to grab your money, Most of who sell late to be the last bag holders and lost everything

A lot of the guys saying to hold and wait it out are probably people who paid very little for the bitcoins and therefore can hold and have an incentive for you to hold.

If you paid more than $300 for a bitcoin and continue to watch your investment take losses is far more difficult.

The way I would look at it from an investment standpoint is anybody really convincing me why it should go higher? Why did it get so high in the first place? Why did it take off and go mainstream when it hit $1000 and was in the news every day?

Loss minimizing is also a very important part of investing. If you are taking losses then you should cut them.

In my opinion bitcoin will rise a little from here before the next leg down to $200. But that is just my speculation opinion of course.

I'm surprised too that people here hold positions or add to losing position when trend is clearly bearish.  If it was easy to short I'd be short scalping every pop.

Also, I can't believe people put real money in a meme like HODL.  Cut your losses and ride your winners.  Only way to make money trading

The problem is because you have many people who paid close to nothing for their bitcoins.  If you take the rise from $13 and up, bitcoins were very cheap for the longest time, many people have loads and loads of cheap bitcoins.

What you have now is these people convincing other people to buy and hold so they can hopefully cash out at higher prices. It is really sad but it is money after all, everybody is doing what benefits them even though it is a bad investment coming in at these high prices which are sill very unsustainable as it continues to prove.

There is really no convincing reason why bitcoin should go higher. I guess many peoples real hope was to get an ETF to get the unsophisticated public to buy into it but it seems the SEC obviously knows it is a scam and isn't going to subject the general public to what looks to be a Ponzi scheme, and also for the fact that bitcoin is inherently insecure and everybody who invests in the ETF can lose their money form just a single person having the correct keys. Look at Mt Gox.

You would think that the steady slow drop in price would smarted people up but I guess not, everybody wants to make easy money. Money is not easy to make and buying into bitcoins at this point is a very bad decision as it has already run its course and it's not going to make people rich again.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 04:58:26 AM

Pon·zi scheme
ˈpänzē ˌskēm/
noun
a form of fraud in which belief in the success of a nonexistent enterprise is fostered by the payment of quick returns to the first investors from money invested by later investors.

Bitcoin does not guarantee returns nor is there a "Bitcoin Enterprise" you are investing in. lol

Sorry your definition fit fails.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 04:59:32 AM

So hundreds per coin is considered losing everything.  Hmmm....  Starting to slowly feel like bottom.

sumzeroend (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:06:30 AM

Pon·zi scheme
ˈpänzē ˌskēm/
noun
a form of fraud in which belief in the success of a nonexistent enterprise is fostered by the payment of quick returns to the first investors from money invested by later investors.

Bitcoin does not guarantee returns.

World Bank Report: Bitcoin is a 'Naturally Occurring' Ponzi
http://www.coindesk.com/world-bank-report-bitcoin-naturally-occurring-ponzi/

sorry your intention to scam more to buy failed
awas

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:08:32 AM

everything is becoming a ponzi...
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:09:14 AM

Pon·zi scheme
ˈpänzē ˌskēm/
noun

Bitcoin does not guarantee returns.

World Bank Report: Bitcoin is a 'Naturally Occurring' Ponzi
http://www.coindesk.com/world-bank-report-bitcoin-naturally-occurring-ponzi/

sorry your intention to scam more to buy failed

Just because you linked an article doesn't mean the definition is used properly within said article.

Once again you fail:  Grin Grin Grin

LINK: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/ponzischeme.asp

"DEFINITION OF 'PONZI SCHEME'
A fraudulent investing scam promising high rates of return with little risk to investors. The Ponzi scheme generates returns for older investors by acquiring new investors. This scam actually yields the promised returns to earlier investors, as long as there are more new investors. These schemes usually collapse on themselves when the new investments stop.

INVESTOPEDIA EXPLAINS 'PONZI SCHEME'
The Ponzi scam is named after Charles Ponzi, a clerk in Boston who first orchestrated such a scheme in 1919.

A Ponzi scheme is similar to a pyramid scheme in that both are based on using new investors' funds to pay the earlier backers. One difference between the two schemes is that the Ponzi mastermind gathers all relevant funds from new investors and then distributes them. Pyramid schemes, on the other hand, allow each investor to directly benefit depending on how many new investors are recruited. In this case, the person on the top of the pyramid does not at any point have access to all the money in the system.

For both schemes, however, eventually there isn't enough money to go around and the schemes unravel."

You seem presumptuous to imply I am trying to scam anyone. I have a spotless record on this forum and online for over 3+ years.

Your account lol...is pretty new.  Tongue

Name:   sumzeroend
Activity:   0
Position:   Newbie
Date Registered:   Today at 04:47:45 AM
Last Active:   Today at 05:06:30 AM

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:09:32 AM

“The problem stems from the fact that we can have what Robert Shiller calls ‘naturally occurring Ponzis’, that is, financial bubbles that form without the manipulator’s baton but from finished natural market forces and with one person’s expectations feeding into another’s,” says Basu."

That pretty much describes most of the stock market IMO.   Are you saying the entire stock market is a Ponzi?

You noob clowns need some new material.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:10:33 AM

sumzeroend is a ponzi.
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:11:24 AM

“The problem stems from the fact that we can have what Robert Shiller calls ‘naturally occurring Ponzis’, that is, financial bubbles that form without the manipulator’s baton but from finished natural market forces and with one person’s expectations feeding into another’s,” says Basu."

That pretty much describes most of the stock market IMO.   Are you saying the entire stock market is a Ponzi?

Wrong! equities can grow into their valuations but not an empty speculative asset like bitcoin
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:14:41 AM

Wrong! equities can grow into their valuations but not an empty speculative asset like bitcoin

Oh rly?

Bitcoin price went from $0 to now $270.

Yup can't "grow" into its valuation.  Roll Eyes

Is it me or are all of the idiots who think they know what they are talking about online today?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

twiifm

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:17:49 AM

Oh rly?

Is it me or are all of the idiots who think they know what they are talking about online today?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

That's purely from speculation not fundamentals.  Shiller won the Nobel for his "irrational exuberance" theory.  Sorry but you are the idiot here
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:21:01 AM

Oh rly?

That's purely from speculation not fundamentals

Fundamental: Person A buys 100,000 Bitcoin at pennies...

Then decides to spend said bitcoins with merchant B who sells goods.

Yeah pretty sure the "fundamentals" you speak of are there with Bitcoin.

You are just not wanting to see it or are too ignorant to see it.  Grin <---- Take your pick.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

twiifm

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:29:03 AM

Oh rly?

You are just not wanting to see it or are too ignorant to see it.  Grin <---- Take your pick.

You're  embarrassing yourself. 
seleme
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028

Duelbits.com

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 05:30:32 AM

Bitcoin now ends up to be a ponzi after all, No matter how thin scammers slice it

Few of who sell first able to grab your money, Most of who sell late to be the last bag holders and lost everything

A lot of the guys saying to hold and wait it out are probably people who paid very little for the bitcoins and therefore can hold and have an incentive for you to hold.

If you paid more than $300 for a bitcoin and continue to watch your investment take losses is far more difficult.

The way I would look at it from an investment standpoint is anybody really convincing me why it should go higher? Why did it get so high in the first place? Why did it take off and go mainstream when it hit $1000 and was in the news every day?

Loss minimizing is also a very important part of investing. If you are taking losses then you should cut them.

In my opinion bitcoin will rise a little from here before the next leg down to $200. But that is just my speculation opinion of course.

I'm surprised too that people here hold positions or add to losing position when trend is clearly bearish.  If it was easy to short I'd be short scalping every pop.

Also, I can't believe people put real money in a meme like HODL.  Cut your losses and ride your winners.  Only way to make money trading

The problem is because you have many people who paid close to nothing for their bitcoins.  If you take the rise from $13 and up, bitcoins were very cheap for the longest time, many people have loads and loads of cheap bitcoins.

What you have now is these people convincing other people to buy and hold so they can hopefully cash out at higher prices. It is really sad but it is money after all, everybody is doing what benefits them even though it is a bad investment coming in at these high prices which are sill very unsustainable as it continues to prove.

There is really no convincing reason why bitcoin should go higher. I guess many peoples real hope was to get an ETF to get the unsophisticated public to buy into it but it seems the SEC obviously knows it is a scam and isn't going to subject the general public to what looks to be a Ponzi scheme, and also for the fact that bitcoin is inherently insecure and everybody who invests in the ETF can lose their money form just a single person having the correct keys. Look at Mt Gox.

You would think that the steady slow drop in price would smarted people up but I guess not, everybody wants to make easy money. Money is not easy to make and buying into bitcoins at this point is a very bad decision as it has already run its course and it's not going to make people rich again.

You probably don't know that Edward is guy who was screaming SELL when Bitcoin was 2$ in 2011 Smiley

███████████████▄▄
    ██████████████████████▄
  ██████████████████████████▄
 ███████   ▀████████▀   ████▄
██████████    █▀  ▀    ██████▄
███████████▄▄▀  ██  ▀▄▄████████
███████████          █████████
███████████▀▀▄  ██  ▄▀▀████████
██████████▀   ▀▄  ▄▀   ▀██████▀
 ███████  ▄██▄████▄█▄  █████▀
  ██████████████████████████▀
    ██████████████████████▀
       ███████████████▀▀
.Duelbits.
..THE MOST REWARDING CASINO......
   ▄▄▄▄████▀███▄▄▄▄▄
▄███▄▀▄██▄   ▄██▄▀▄███▄
████▄█▄███▄█▄███▄█▄████
███████████████████████   ▄██▄
██     ██     ██     ██   ▀██▀
██ ▀▀█ ██ ▀▀█ ██ ▀▀█ ██    ██
██  █  ██  █  ██  █  ██
█▌  ██
██     ██     ██     ████  ██
█████████████████████████  ██
████████████████████████████▀
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████▌
       +4,000      
PROVABLY FAIR
GAMES
   $500,000  
MONTHLY
PRIZE POOL
      $10,000     
BLACKJACK
GIVEAWAY
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:30:43 AM

Oh rly?

Oh really? lol please show the holes in my argument.

You say bitcoin lacks fundamentals and is purely from speculation but I just gave you a simple example of where bitcoin is not purely speculation-used and has fundamental uses going on within the economy/network of bitcoin.

Please embarrass me away.   Cheesy

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:32:03 AM

You probably don't know that Edward is guy who was screaming SELL when Bitcoin was 2$ in 2011 Smiley

Of course he doesn't his account was created today and can't seem to use the word ponzi in the proper context of its definition.

Edward is funny to listen to though. "We are going to $1".... Grin Grin Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Enzyme

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:32:32 AM

The troll is high in this one.
twiifm

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:34:04 AM

Oh rly?

Oh really? lol please show the holes in my argument.

You say bitcoin lacks fundamentals and is purely from speculation but I just gave you a simple example of where bitcoin is not purely speculation-used and has fundamental uses going on within the economy/network of bitcoin.

Please embarrass me away.   Cheesy

The obvious is you don't know what fundamentals mean.  
STT
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1423

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 05:38:41 AM

I think this is just misunderstanding.   You can say bitcoin is no good without it being a pyramid scheme.  I could buy a load of carrots and find it a bad transaction, either was a bumper harvest and others similarly were able to source enough carrots so we got too much supply or it could just the produce was bad.   Even if I was scammed by some front, still not a pyramid
  Theres no multiplication effect in bitcoin causing it to be a pyramid, the only similar thing might be the online hype effect where knowledge and acceptance of bitcoin was not linear but more exponential but the protocol itself is quite set and regular to stop over supply

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
twiifm

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:47:47 AM

I think this is just misunderstanding.   You can say bitcoin is no good without it being a pyramid scheme.  I could buy a load of carrots and find it a bad transaction, either was a bumper harvest and others similarly were able to source enough carrots so we got too much supply or it could just the produce was bad.   Even if I was scammed by some front, still not a pyramid
  Theres no multiplication effect in bitcoin causing it to be a pyramid, the only similar thing might be the online hype effect where knowledge and acceptance of bitcoin was not linear but more exponential but the protocol itself is quite set and regular to stop over supply

Bitcoin fits into the definition of Shiller's "naturally occurring ponzi" which is a more or less a behavioral economics explanation of inflating asset bubbles
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: