Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 01:21:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinfire Bitstamp update  (Read 7002 times)
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 11:00:57 AM

turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:09:47 AM

the proof is here: Bitstamp lost 19K bitcoin = 5 mil usd

do you think that there were safe? try to withdraw some money from them today, see if you can BUT there are safe, right? Smiley
Yes, they lost money. That doesn't mean they lost your money. They lost their hot wallet, but have much more funds in their cold wallet.
They don't have any problem, paying back to their customer.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:15:29 AM

What would gox 2.0 do to bitcoin?  Grin

18k < 650k , its still a ton though why do they need 18k coins in a hot wallet do people really withdraw that much in a few days lets say?

because they think they are GODS and nothing bad can happen to them. they think that they are beyond monkeys like "us"...

They are just two kids(owners) who are running/playing the people's money.

Of course, their clients have their own fault. They must make their due diligence before making any investment.

Maybe they empty out the hot wallet something like weekly and 18k is around what gets moved into the exchange.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1571

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 11:34:19 AM

do you think that there were safe? try to withdraw some money from them today, see if you can BUT there are safe, right? Smiley
Yes, they lost money. That doesn't mean they lost your money. They lost their hot wallet, but have much more funds in their cold wallet.

If both cold and hot wallets are clients deposits, then yes, they've lost some small % of everyone's deposits. If they have sufficient reserves/source of funding to cover such loss, then it's no problem for the customers, BitStamp owners would be the only ones who got hit. But if they can't afford it - that's when the shit goes down.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
turvarya

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:39:19 AM

If both cold and hot wallets are clients deposits, then yes, they've lost some small % of everyone's deposits. If they have sufficient reserves/source of funding to cover such loss, then it's no problem for the customers, BitStamp owners would be the only ones who got hit. But if they can't afford it - that's when the shit goes down.
The cold wallet is not just clients deposit. It is also their revenue. Your statement would be true if they converted their revenue to fiat instantly.
I don't see any evidence, that they can't afford it.

pawel7777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 12:02:30 PM

The cold wallet is not just clients deposit. It is also their revenue. Your statement would be true if they converted their revenue to fiat instantly.
I don't see any evidence, that they can't afford it.

No one knows (apart from BitStamp) what % of the cold wallet are their own funds. My guess is it's a tiny %. They do have to convert to fiat pretty often, they got bills, salaries, expenses to be paid (in fiat) on monthly basis.

Also, they cannot just take the revenue (collected fees) and cover for the stolen deposits. They also need to cover their operating expenses with it.

I don't know whether is bad or very bad for BitStamp, but I think in either way it's a problem they can manage with (if they have experienced,competent people on-board). Don't think we'll see Gox 2.0 here.

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
tzortz

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:27:43 PM

I believe they had said in the past that the hot wallet gets emptied on a daily basis.

So a hot of 18k is not impossible.

But still is s a lot of money, but will be paid by owner's pocket. I think.

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:53:34 PM

They could repay by increasing the trading fees, for example to the range 0.3-0.6 and put the excess in separate fund and just start to repay.
sobitcoin (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 04:08:56 PM

You seem quite sure of this? Can you provide evidence? Right now we know the funds are not where they should be, after they were deposited by customers.  Yes, this would be an issue.  Please don't brush this off like it is nothing, clearly you did not have funds involved, but i am sure there is a number of concerned people on here that did. Unless you know their money is coming back, kindly, shut your mouth  Roll Eyes
turvarya

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 04:20:18 PM

You seem quite sure of this? Can you provide evidence? Right now we know the funds are not where they should be, after they were deposited by customers.  Yes, this would be an issue.  Please don't brush this off like it is nothing, clearly you did not have funds involved, but i am sure there is a number of concerned people on here that did. Unless you know their money is coming back, kindly, shut your mouth  Roll Eyes
Just read some news about bitstamp. E.g. this:
http://www.coindesk.com/bitstamp-passes-audit-overseen-bitcoin-developer-mike-hearn/

pawel7777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 04:21:32 PM

They could repay by increasing the trading fees, for example to the range 0.3-0.6 and put the excess in separate fund and just start to repay.

Not a good idea. Would work if they had monopoly or were at least the major player, but they're not anymore. It's a very competitive market atm.

Right now they need to fix the problem and re-build trust, which is not easy. If they were to increase tx fees, they'll be effectively punishing customers for their own mistake, that's not wise move.

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
sobitcoin (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:10:22 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/bitstamp-passes-audit-overseen-bitcoin-developer-mike-hearn/

Stopped at May 27... Then figured I should read. I understand that yeah, they are probably going to cover it, but as an outsider, with NO inside information, how can you tell people their funds are safe, based off a May press release of a valuation.  There is a whole bunch of unknowns, and unless you are 100%  leave it up to their staff to guarantee people's money.  Yeah, most likely they will,  but this place doesn't seem to function based on what everyone knows or assumes on a daily basis.
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:17:41 PM

Stopped at May 27... Then figured I should read. I understand that yeah, they are probably going to cover it, but as an outsider, with NO inside information, how can you tell people their funds are safe, based off a May press release of a valuation.  There is a whole bunch of unknowns, and unless you are 100%  leave it up to their staff to guarantee people's money.  Yeah, most likely they will,  but this place doesn't seem to function based on what everyone knows or assumes on a daily basis.

Bistamp is related with Ripple, Bitcoin Foundation and others. Their shareholders are shareholders for many other bitcoin companies.

i think they will cover the loss because the scandal will be TOO BIG and it will involve all these companies and Bitcoin will crush. Smiley
Bitfinex, Coinbase are related with Bitstamp. Bitstamp is processing their orders.

So, they are a gang who is manipulating the market how they want and each of them are taking a piece of the cake named Bitcoin. Smiley

a simple proof is these days. Bitstamp hacked, people in panic, a lot of sells and the Bitcoin price is maintain at 270 USD

In other cases, even a small exchanger had falled, the Bitcoin price went down.
sobitcoin (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:26:44 PM

Stopped at May 27... Then figured I should read. I understand that yeah, they are probably going to cover it, but as an outsider, with NO inside information, how can you tell people their funds are safe, based off a May press release of a valuation.  There is a whole bunch of unknowns, and unless you are 100%  leave it up to their staff to guarantee people's money.  Yeah, most likely they will,  but this place doesn't seem to function based on what everyone knows or assumes on a daily basis.

Bistamp is related with Ripple, Bitcoin Foundation and others. Their shareholders are shareholders for many other bitcoin companies.

i think they will cover the loss because the scandal will be TOO BIG and it will involve all these companies and Bitcoin will crush. Smiley
Bitfinex, Coinbase are related with Bitstamp. Bitstamp is processing their orders.

So, they are a gang who is manipulating the market how they want and each of them are taking a piece of the cake named Bitcoin. Smiley

a simple proof is these days. Bitstamp hacked, people in panic, a lot of sells and the Bitcoin price is maintain at 270 USD

In other cases, even a small exchanger had falled, the Bitcoin price went down.

I think we are on completely different lines here.  Thanks for the info about ripple and such, very good to know.  I can't personally believe that "In other cases, even a small exchanger had falled, the Bitcoin price went down."

Just find that interesting. Unless it is that obvious of complete market maniplation by a handful of people at the top, I would expect Microsoft announcing they accept bitcoin to have a market impact, which it didn't seem to, yet a small exchange getting hacked drives the price down? I would defiantly need some more information or statistics to side with this.

Also, I do not understand how an exchange getting hacked would impact the sell market. It would focus people on getting their coins back from Bitstamp, not take what other BTC they have and turn to another exchange to sell them all.... Perhaps some would sell, but I don't think an exchanges hardships would change peoples minds about holding bitcoin in general.

Just doesnt add up in my head.
gog1

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:29:52 PM

bitstamp is no small exchange.  It occupies a small place in the bitcoin world - outside of the Chinese exchanges (where foreigners cannot really access with currency control); bitstamp is one of the larger exchanges.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 07:59:43 PM

Yes, they lost money. That doesn't mean they lost your money. They lost their hot wallet, but have much more funds in their cold wallet. They don't have any problem, paying back to their customer.
There was some user who was saying similar reassuring things about Mt. Gox all the way up to the bankruptcy. Who was that, and where are they now?
sobitcoin (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:02:37 PM

Yes, they lost money. That doesn't mean they lost your money. They lost their hot wallet, but have much more funds in their cold wallet. They don't have any problem, paying back to their customer.
There was some user who was saying similar reassuring things about Mt. Gox all the way up to the bankruptcy. Who was that, and where are they now?

Everyone on the outside always knows what's going on on the inside, that's what I love about this community. They don't speculate, they are 100% sure about everything. Trends, hacks, potential businesses, no speculators here, just a whole bunch of people that are 100% correct.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:11:29 PM

Everyone on the outside always knows what's going on on the inside, that's what I love about this community. They don't speculate, they are 100% sure about everything. Trends, hacks, potential businesses, no speculators here, just a whole bunch of people that are 100% correct.

So true but how many people here are paid to purposely plant false information. Not many of them are as blatantly transparent as Matthew Wright's attempt to draw attention away from pirates failing ponzi. How many people are never identified as shills working for some company. They work for the highest bidder while their rank and seniority continues to rise. That's what I liked about MPOE-PR. Call em' like you see em' direct approach isn't well received here though.

turvarya

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:13:16 PM

Stop comparing it to MtGox. That just shows, that you guys have no idea, what you are talking about.
I am not 100% sure, but there is no evidence that would suggest, that customers will have to pay for that incident.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:18:56 PM

Stop comparing it to MtGox. That just shows, that you guys have no idea, what you are talking about.
I am not 100% sure, but there is no evidence that would suggest, that customers will have to pay for that incident.

In business the customers always pay eventually. When I was operating my business and my electric rate went up or delivery costs went up my prices went up. That's the nature of business and why a McDonalds hamburger isn't still 15 cents.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: