Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:38:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I am pretty confident we are the new fiat slaves, gentlemen.  (Read 3385 times)
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 06:12:41 PM

Bitcoin so far has been no different.  Check and compare the long term charts of all these digital currencies.  And none of them have ever come back to realize their initial pump and dump prices.  None.  Matter of fact, most have gone on to become worth basically a milli fraction of what they used to be...or completely vanished altogether.

mmmh hmmm...mmmh hmmm....

Tell me, what was Bitcoin's "initial pump and dump"?

A year ago, when it briefly hit over $1200 USD, before receding over a year's time to ~$275?

No, wait - before that was April 2013 at $240, before receding to $65.

No, you said initial pump & dump - before that was August 2012, when it shot up to $15 before losing over half its value.

No, still not initial - Feb 2012 - $7.50 before dropping to $4.30.

Back further - June 2011 - $35 before crashing to $2.25

Q3 2010 - $0.50 to $0.20

Q2 2010 - $0.18 to $0.05

...and the hits just continue back before there was a trackable market.

And "milli fractions"? You're aware that 'milli' is defined by various standards organizations as a prefix denoting 1/1000, right? Accordingly, by your logic, after this last 'pump and dump', Bitcoin should be trading at the order of magnitude of $1.20 or so. I think you're off by several orders of magnitude.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:08:30 PM

No I'm saying that you cannot predict the failure of the dominant product in the market by the failures that came AFTER it and never really challenged it's dominance.

It sounds like you're saying something similar to "WebTV never took off, this absolutely proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the internet is DOOOOOOMED!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMED!!!"

I'm simply stating every digital currency created up til this point has suffered the same exact pattern of an artificial pump and dump bubble.  Not one of them hasn't.  Whether from the actual coin creators or investors, all have been whored to death and then promptly dropped like a 5 dollar hooker.

I'm not claiming to know the future.  But I also base my opinions on facts, and trends.  And as of right now, the price trends/charts/and all the recent fraud news does NOT bode well for any crypto, bitcoin included.

As an owner of over 4btc (far from a fortune, but it's still money) and having lost over 8 btc on various exchange thefts, I wish this was not the case.  But it's really disgusting how dark the bitcoin community has gotten.  It's a sesspool of fraud and manipulation...which are the exact things that will run it to the ground and prevent it from gaining true mainstream adoption.
Same as apple stocks:
https://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AAPL+Interactive#%7B%22range%22%3A%2210y%22%2C%22scale%22%3A%22linear%22%7D
Is apple just a pump and dumb?

Did you really just compare the organic 4 year price increase of the largest corporation in terms of consumer electronics sales worldwide to a 24 month bubble spike chart of a speculative new tech named bitcoin?  

Like, I'm honestly not sure if you're being serious or not.

Lol.  This is hopeless.

You are the primary reason why most bitcoin and altcoin 'investors' get hosed.  Because they have no idea how markets really work.  They just see dollar signs and jump on the first hypes of 'TO DA MOOOON!!!!!!'
You were talking about patterns. There is a pretty similar pattern in Apple stocks. Is there not?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 07:11:45 PM

One shouldn't even argue with such people. Bitcoin might one day actually free some of us from being fiat slaves.

Having only the price of Bitcoin in $ or euros in mind represents a wrong view of the world.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:39:22 AM

No, you won't even have the right to become a fiat slave, you just simply don't get any fiat money at all  Grin

flipstyle

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:50:07 AM

No I'm saying that you cannot predict the failure of the dominant product in the market by the failures that came AFTER it and never really challenged it's dominance.

It sounds like you're saying something similar to "WebTV never took off, this absolutely proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the internet is DOOOOOOMED!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMED!!!"

I'm simply stating every digital currency created up til this point has suffered the same exact pattern of an artificial pump and dump bubble.  Not one of them hasn't.  Whether from the actual coin creators or investors, all have been whored to death and then promptly dropped like a 5 dollar hooker.

I'm not claiming to know the future.  But I also base my opinions on facts, and trends.  And as of right now, the price trends/charts/and all the recent fraud news does NOT bode well for any crypto, bitcoin included.

As an owner of over 4btc (far from a fortune, but it's still money) and having lost over 8 btc on various exchange thefts, I wish this was not the case.  But it's really disgusting how dark the bitcoin community has gotten.  It's a sesspool of fraud and manipulation...which are the exact things that will run it to the ground and prevent it from gaining true mainstream adoption.
Same as apple stocks:
https://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AAPL+Interactive#%7B%22range%22%3A%2210y%22%2C%22scale%22%3A%22linear%22%7D
Is apple just a pump and dumb?

Did you really just compare the organic 4 year price increase of the largest corporation in terms of consumer electronics sales worldwide to a 24 month bubble spike chart of a speculative new tech named bitcoin?  

Like, I'm honestly not sure if you're being serious or not.

Lol.  This is hopeless.

You are the primary reason why most bitcoin and altcoin 'investors' get hosed.  Because they have no idea how markets really work.  They just see dollar signs and jump on the first hypes of 'TO DA MOOOON!!!!!!'
You were talking about patterns. There is a pretty similar pattern in Apple stocks. Is there not?

No.  Organic growth over a 4 year period /= a 1000% skyrocket in price in under 2 months, then a subsequent drop of over 50% in less than 3 weeks.  I suggest you present both market charts to a professor of economics at a local university for verification on how asinine your comparison is.

It's obvious this is going nowhere, as you don't understand the basic fundamentals of market conditions...and are just reaching for straws.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:10:12 AM
Last edit: January 07, 2015, 01:42:46 AM by jbreher

No.  Organic growth over a 4 year period /= a 1000% skyrocket in price in under 2 months, then a subsequent drop of over 50% in less than 3 weeks.  I suggest you present both market charts to a professor of economics at a local university for verification on how asinine your comparison is.

It's obvious this is going nowhere, as you don't understand the basic fundamentals of market conditions...and are just reaching for straws.

[edit - disparaging remark removed as gratuitous]

Care to answer my questions above? Still looking for what you feel is the "initial pump and dump", followed by a dive to "milli fractions" in value.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
neo1947

Activity: 449

don t touch my Bits

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:34:26 AM

l ll sell all my family to buy BTC at $1  Grin Grin Grin
flipstyle

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:59:43 AM

No.  Organic growth over a 4 year period /= a 1000% skyrocket in price in under 2 months, then a subsequent drop of over 50% in less than 3 weeks.  I suggest you present both market charts to a professor of economics at a local university for verification on how asinine your comparison is.

[edit - disparaging remark removed as gratuitous]

Care to answer my questions above? Still looking for what you feel is the "initial pump and dump", followed by a dive to "milli fractions" in value.

That was a generalized statement to the pattern of the majority of all cryptos until now.

Artificial/unhealthy exponential growth spurt over a very short period of time followed by a swift crash.  It's the exact pattern of a bubble chart.

Are you not capable of looking at the bitcoin charts and the bubble chart I noted earlier?  And are you able to refute how its 2 month 1000% rise and subsequent halving in value 3 weeks later was anything but 'organic?'

I'd honestly love to hear this.  I'll go and grab my popcorn now.
rax

Activity: 86
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 02:03:03 AM

That moment when you realize...

psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 02:27:38 AM

l ll sell all my family to buy BTC at $1  Grin Grin Grin

lmao

To the OP: yes 1 BTC will always be 1 BTC and that is the main thing for sure Wink
NattyLiteCoin

Activity: 912
Merit: 1021

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 02:31:14 AM

OMG no, please don't make us compare the trend over 4 years for both of them!!!

Did you seriously just compare the Cult of Jobs to the worlds first digital currency?

Funny that you said this shit. I was just watching the lost interview of Steve Jobs on Netflix, circa 1995, and he pretty much predicted the importance of the internet to global communications and finance. A young man by the name of Andreas is predicting the the same of blockchain technology. It's maturity? The internet circa 1994-95.

Steve Jobs took over Apple when it was going bankrupt in the late 1990's. So may be the 4 year growth analogy is more of predictor of a BTC derivative in 2025-2030 timeframe.

Just sayin.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
  25X FASTER THAN BITCOIN, LIGHTNING NETWORK & ATOMIC SWAPS  
  TWITTER          TELEGRAM          REDDIT          DISCORD          MEDIUM          LINKEDIN  
          ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 02:38:46 AM

That was a generalized statement to the pattern of the majority of all cryptos until now.

Artificial/unhealthy exponential growth spurt over a very short period of time followed by a swift crash.  It's the exact pattern of a bubble chart.

Are you not capable of looking at the bitcoin charts and the bubble chart I noted earlier?  And are you able to refute how its 2 month 1000% rise and subsequent halving in value 3 weeks later was anything but 'organic?'

Your assertion was the Bitcoin -- like all other cryptos -- would die after the initial pump and dump. I'm not going to refute that p'n'd occurs. I'm wanting you pick exactly one point you'll use as the "initial pump and dump" (note double quotes), and use that to show that Bitcoin is correspondingly doomed. Your quote revisited:

Bitcoin so far has been no different.  Check and compare the long term charts of all these digital currencies.  And none of them have ever come back to realize their initial pump and dump prices.  None.

You're the one with the assertion. I'm the one with the popcorn. Get to it.

flipstyle

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 03:23:32 AM

Your assertion was the Bitcoin -- like all other cryptos -- would die after the initial pump and dump. I'm not going to refute that p'n'd occurs. I'm wanting you pick exactly one point you'll use as the "initial pump and dump" (note double quotes), and use that to show that Bitcoin is correspondingly doomed. Your quote revisited:

Bitcoin so far has been no different.  Check and compare the long term charts of all these digital currencies.  And none of them have ever come back to realize their initial pump and dump prices.  None.

You're the one with the assertion. I'm the one with the popcorn. Get to it.

Nobody has a crystal ball.  But like ass holes, everyone has an opinion.  And it is of *MY* opinion (and probably less popular because we're on a bitcoin promoted forum) that bitcoin exhibits all classic characteristics of a bubble market...AND COMBINED with the long string of negative press/fraud...will continue in its downward price trend until a) future investors shy away, b) current holders jump ship, and c) interest naturally dies down.

The euphoria phase of bitcoin is over, imo.  Same thing with Dogecoin.  But damn, those few months were crazy.  But that's what happens with bubbles.  Everyone starts talking about them like the 'next best thing in the history of mankind' and a frenzy ensues.

And unlike for certain recoverable bubble markets like the stock market and housing...bitcoin is not a necessity, but rather an alternative and luxury. 

The underlying basic tech of bitcoin may flourish under another new improved infrustructure/name down the road, but I think Bitcoin in itself has seen its best days, and lost grasp of its reigns in a downward spiral once the Mt. Gox debacle first hit.  It's in an unrecoverable phase, ironically akin to the excuses the scamming exchange operators give.  

With technology, there is often a very small window of opportunity to turn boom or bust.  And unfortunately with Bitcoin, the bad news just kept piling up and public perception went to the wayside with it.  About the only ones still raving over it are holders hoping to save face or in denial.

Again...since reading comprehension seems to be a difficult chore for some: the underlying premise/technology of bitcoin may have a future, but Bitcoin itself is (in my opinion) headed towards a fate of obscurity and an afterthought.  

Much like plasma tv's succumbed to LED's...so will Bitcoin.  

In my opinion, there will probably be some sort of government issued digital currency that will take its reigns and gain true widespread adoption.  I know people shudder at the mere mention of crypto currencies and government...but in the end, they are the real ones that have both the financial and advertising means to take the technology to the next level of adoption.

Disagree if you will. But those are my thoughts.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 03:58:25 AM

Apologies in advance if you take offense to me reordering - but it helps my narrative. There is always your unedited post to refer to above.

The underlying basic tech of bitcoin may flourish under another new improved infrustructure/name down the road, but I think Bitcoin in itself has seen its best days, and lost grasp of its reigns in a downward spiral once the Mt. Gox debacle first hit.  It's in an unrecoverable phase, ironically akin to the excuses the scamming exchange operators give. 

OK. I can respect that opinion.  I even agree with some of what you say. I think your fatalistic conclusion is absolutely wrong, however.

Nobody has a crystal ball.  But like ass holes, everyone has an opinion.  And it is of *MY* opinion (and probably less popular because we're on a bitcoin promoted forum) that bitcoin exhibits all classic characteristics of a bubble market...AND COMBINED with the long string of negative press/fraud...will continue in its downward price trend until a) future investors shy away, b) current holders jump ship, and c) interest naturally dies down.

So all market bubbles are fatal?

Here's the thing. You sound like you may have entered this space not long before (or perhaps even after) the spectacular run-up of a year ago. But for Bitcoin, it was just one more cycle of a repeated pattern. Sure, the magnitude was larger, but proportionally on-track with previous cycles. As, I expect, will be the next cycle.

You can draw whatever conclusion you will from the absolute value of the last crash. But it is by no means our most significant crash proportionally. And looking at the history (sorry for semi-quoting myself):

Peak $1200 USD, before receding over a year's time to ~$275?
Peak April 2013 at $240, before receding to $65.
Peak August 2012, when it shot up to $15 before losing over half its value.
Peak Feb 2012 - $7.50 before dropping to $4.30.
Peak June 2011 - $35 before crashing to $2.25
Peak Q3 2010 - $0.50 to $0.20
Peak Q2 2010 - $0.18 to $0.05

... sure, each peak is followed by a trough. But here is the important observation to make: each successive trough is higher than the last.

The euphoria phase of bitcoin is over, imo.  

Again, you're speaking as if the last peak was the only euphoric phase. I see a roughly periodic wave function with exponentially-growing magnitude. How much of humanity was involved this time? Heck, most of humanity has not even heard of Bitcoin. I believe that next cycle, a larger share of the population will be participating. Larger magnitude yet.

And unlike for certain recoverable bubble markets like the stock market and housing...bitcoin is not a necessity, but rather an alternative and luxury. 

I'm fairly well convinced that the entire world fiat money structure is likely to collapse some time within my lifetime (I recognize some other rational people may not agree with my assessment). When that event transpires, an 'alternative' will be a necessity. If Bitcoin is mature enough when the cataclysm is upon us, Bitcoin would be a wonderful alternative. Indeed, it is a nearly ideally-engineered money - as opposed to that fiat shit. And if Bitcoin can be grown such that it merely overtakes fiat, we can avoid the effects of the collapse altogether. But, yet another discussion for another thread.

To the rest of your post, I'll just respond that this wave was not the first, and I believe it is unlikely that it was the last.

flipstyle

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 05:02:51 AM

Apologies in advance if you take offense to me reordering - but it helps my narrative. There is always your unedited post to refer to above.

The underlying basic tech of bitcoin may flourish under another new improved infrustructure/name down the road, but I think Bitcoin in itself has seen its best days, and lost grasp of its reigns in a downward spiral once the Mt. Gox debacle first hit.  It's in an unrecoverable phase, ironically akin to the excuses the scamming exchange operators give.  

OK. I can respect that opinion.  I even agree with some of what you say. I think your fatalistic conclusion is absolutely wrong, however.

So all market bubbles are fatal?

Here's the thing. You sound like you may have entered this space not long before (or perhaps even after) the spectacular run-up of a year ago. But for Bitcoin, it was just one more cycle of a repeated pattern. Sure, the magnitude was larger, but proportionally on-track with previous cycles. As, I expect, will be the next cycle.

You can draw whatever conclusion you will from the absolute value of the last crash. But it is by no means our most significant crash proportionally. And looking at the history (sorry for semi-quoting myself):

Peak $1200 USD, before receding over a year's time to ~$275?
Peak April 2013 at $240, before receding to $65.
Peak August 2012, when it shot up to $15 before losing over half its value.
Peak Feb 2012 - $7.50 before dropping to $4.30.
Peak June 2011 - $35 before crashing to $2.25
Peak Q3 2010 - $0.50 to $0.20
Peak Q2 2010 - $0.18 to $0.05

... sure, each peak is followed by a trough. But here is the important observation to make: each successive trough is higher than the last.

The euphoria phase of bitcoin is over, imo.  

Again, you're speaking as if the last peak was the only euphoric phase. I see a roughly periodic wave function with exponentially-growing magnitude. How much of humanity was involved this time? Heck, most of humanity has not even heard of Bitcoin. I believe that next cycle, a larger share of the population will be participating. Larger magnitude yet.

I'm fairly well convinced that the entire world fiat money structure is likely to collapse some time within my lifetime (I recognize some other rational people may not agree with my assessment). When that event transpires, an 'alternative' will be a necessity. If Bitcoin is mature enough when the cataclysm is upon us, Bitcoin would be a wonderful alternative. Indeed, it is a nearly ideally-engineered money - as opposed to that fiat shit. And if Bitcoin can be grown such that it merely overtakes fiat, we can avoid the effects of the collapse altogether. But, yet another discussion for another thread.

To the rest of your post, I'll just respond that this wave was not the first, and I believe it is unlikely that it was the last.

I definitely respect your points, and I will not refute what you stated about the previous run-ups and subsequent falls.  I was actually a spectator since around 2011, but honestly never gave much consideration to investing until it started really gaining worldwide press attention.    Furthermore, (sorry if this wasn't clear), I didn't state that all bubble markets ultimate fail.  I stated that markets that have experienced bubbles such as the stock market and housing market are necessities and will always be around.  Bitcoin itself is not a necessity so long as credit cards, money orders, bullion, and money orders are in existence.  It's a splendid alternative, but not a fundamental market in and of itself...even in a SHTF scenario.

I would see bitcoin videos all over the 'related videos' section while watching silver outlook clips (coincidentally, they started really popping up right around the time the price hike nearing the $2xx mark and up).  It was then that I really started looking at crypto as a legitimate alternative form of currency.  I come from the silver-bug side of things, so it was a bit of a departure from the norm, but the parallels between the two and their die-hard communities was undeniable.

However, my tune quickly soured after I had not only been scammed on a forum, but by 2 exchanges early in my bitcoin career.  All after having to jump through a seemingly neverending series of hoops just to acquire BTC.  This is a fundamental flaw.  Yes, you can argue I was dumb and naieve for leaving my money in these exchanges, but you also have to consider there were hundreds of thousands of others (with much more experience than I) that were taken.  So this is not a simple clearcut case of 'told ya so'...else none of these exchanges would have had any volume from the get go.  The Mt. Gox debachle and withdrawl problems started I believe 6 months to a year before they officially shut their doors, so many that were in doubt that actually tried to pro-actively withdraw funds still found themselves unable to.  Some of these cases and extenuating circumstances weren't so simple.

I also stated my opinion that the euphoria peaked right around the time when the price was scaling towards its ATH, which is backed by google trends data.  

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bitcoin&cmpt=q

Coincidentally, the peaks and valleys pretty much share a direct correlation with bitcoin's market value.  In fact, the google trends chart is almost an exact trace of the 3 year price chart of bitcoin.  So I think the market price is more of a factor of the long term sustenance of bitcoin than some may think.  Sure, the technology can be amazing, but if there is not an influx of interest and new funding, then it will not survive.  You always need investors for technology.

Again, I'm not discrediting that another technology 'based' off bitcoin won't succeed and ultimately supplant it in the future, but I just don't see Bitcoin being the one that sees the finish line.  It's simply struggled against the grips of black hatters and greedy scumbags that have exhausted consumer confidence.  

I truly do believe the government is already in the works of creating their own version of cryptocurrency that will basically destroy the bitcoin and altcoin markets altogether.  It sucks, but we all know they have their noses on the pulse of the industry and technology.  And if it's anyone that's going to be profiting off cryptos heading into the next decade, they'll make sure it's themselves.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 08:17:37 AM

Hmm. This discussion is getting more nuanced. Perhaps our viewpoints are not as different as I initially thought. Allow me to focus the discussion where I think we disagree, bearing in mind that my omission of the rest is likely indication where I don't believe we differ significantly.

I didn't state that all bubble markets ultimate fail.  

I think I understood this... but you seemed to me to be saying that 'the bubble' (which one - this last, I presume?) indicated the last dying gasp for Bitcoin. Am I incorrect that this is your assessment?

I stated that markets that have experienced bubbles such as the stock market and housing market are necessities and will always be around.

While I can agree that collectivized funding and housing will likely always be needed, I am not convinced that 'the stock market' not the housing 'market' as we know them today will survive the fiat collapse. Possible. Unsure if even likely.

Bitcoin itself is not a necessity so long as credit cards, money orders, bullion, and money orders are in existence.  It's a splendid alternative, but not a fundamental market in and of itself...even in a SHTF scenario.

Well, yeah. If the S truly HsTF, the Internet will be gone. No Internet, no Bitcoin. Or at least no global, digital, relatively low latency, universal communication medium, no Bitcoin. Bitcoin takes a breather 'til the net is back, and there will be much pain as many many divergent chains slowly re-converge to the one chain to rule them all. But assuming the net does eventually heal, all the coins held at t=0- will be there for their previous owners as normalcy is restored.

I come from the silver-bug side of things, so it was a bit of a departure from the norm, but the parallels between the two and their die-hard  communities was undeniable.

Agreed. Silver (and Gold) share a lot of monetary properties with Bitcoin. In my mind, PM tangibility holds an edge however in grid-down scenarios, and Bitcoin's ease of transport holds an edge in grid-up.

However, my tune quickly soured after I had not only been scammed on a forum, but by 2 exchanges early in my bitcoin career.  

I think most go through this. I got significantly scammed more than once. Not for some time though. I like to think I've learned. I certainly have been trained to limit my potential exposure to risk.

[eta - We've all grown up in a culture where we as individuals have not been responsible for the safekeeping of our own money. As such, a natural instinct to closely guard that which is ours has been suppressed. In a Bitcoin world, we are responsible for our own funds. We need to reacquaint ourselves with our fundamental drive to jealously watch that our sustenance is not snatched up by others. It comes. ]

All after having to jump through a seemingly neverending series of hoops just to acquire BTC.  

Yes, it is still harder than it should be to acquire BTC. But it is easier today than the year before, and easier still than the year before that... I almost hate to trot out the tired internet comparison, but when was the last time you browsed a site through lynx? Could you imagine the excruciating pain it would be to return to that, now that you've experienced contemporary browsing? The point is that the trajectory is inexorably in the direction of increased ease for the user.

This is a fundamental flaw.

Disagree. Nothing fundamental about the ease of use problem. Bitcoin is still mostly a raw protocol, with a thin veneer of human-accessible software atop it. Again with the Internet, but IP existed long before HTML. All we need are the proper software tools to be developed atop the fundamental protocols in order to unlock the true power of the blockchain and bring it to the masses. (ugh - I sound like A True Believer. I probably am).

And the next layer of tools are being built today. This is being done by individuals, open source groups, and perhaps most tellingly fully professional entities backed by VCs to the tune of hundreds of millions of USD ( http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-venture-capital/ ). The tools they are building today will enable the next round of ease of use and enhanced capabilities, which will lower the bar for new participants (buyers and users), to enter. These new participants will fuel the next great wave of price appreciation.

And the new wave of price appreciation (to what - $10K would be reasonable according to some models) will probably be followed by another trough ( to 33% of the high maybe?) , perhaps started by long time holders who wake up rich and decide to 'cash out' some or all of their new found wealth. And likely accelerated by a sizable proportion of the new entrants who will panic as things start to go south. But in the meantime, the new money will enable the next round of VC investments, larger this time, resulting in more ease, robustness, and capability...

I also stated my opinion that the euphoria peaked right around the time when the price was scaling towards its ATH, which is backed by google trends data.  

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bitcoin&cmpt=q

Coincidentally, the peaks and valleys pretty much share a direct correlation with bitcoin's market value.  In fact, the google trends chart is almost an exact trace of the 3 year price chart of bitcoin.  

I'm with you on that. Other than you branding it (perhaps inadvertently) as 'coincidentally'. I don't know if price begets interest, or interest begets price. I rather assume that there is a positive feedback between the two, causing each to reinforce the other. But as per my earlier statement, I don't think most of humanity has even heard of bitcoin. Further, I think most who have heard of it are hardly aware of it, and most who are aware of it have an incorrect impression of what it is ("Haha - Didya hear the CEO of Bitcoin was arrested? Yeah - and the government confiscated it all"). We have a looooong way to go before possible interest in Bitcoin is saturated.

So I think the market price is more of a factor of the long term sustenance of bitcoin than some may think.  

I'd be with you if you said short-term. As pointed out above, the long term trend *so*far* has been up, up, and up.

Sure, the technology can be amazing, but if there is not an influx of interest and new funding, then it will not survive.  You always need investors for technology.

See $100'sMM VC above. True story.

Again, I'm not discrediting that another technology 'based' off bitcoin won't succeed and ultimately supplant it in the future, but I just don't see Bitcoin being the one that sees the finish line.  It's simply struggled against the grips of black hatters and greedy scumbags that have exhausted consumer confidence.  

Well, it is possible. But in my mind, I have yet to see anything that might topple Bitcoin off its perch. Oh well, you're not betting with my money, and I'm not betting with yours.

I truly do believe the government is already in the works of creating their own version of cryptocurrency that will basically destroy the bitcoin and altcoin markets altogether.  It sucks, but we all know they have their noses on the pulse of the industry and technology.  And if it's anyone that's going to be profiting off cryptos heading into the next decade, they'll make sure it's themselves.

This topic alone could go on for pages and pages. Ok,  I'll bite. Which government? The USA? Which part of the government? Would this be an executive initiative? Would there be legislation enacted to bring such a thing about? What department, bureau or other subdivision would be responsible? Who would head such a thing up? To whom would they report? Would there be a Constitutional amendment to skirt the 'gold or silver' clause? Would the cabal of international private bankers that own the federal reserve branch banks that in turn own the Central Bank of the Federal Reserve allow such a thing to happen?

HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 09:51:58 AM

I dont get it. The lower it goes the lower a chance is it will go even lower.
The worst thing is stagnation

HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 09:58:23 AM

Bitcoin was the first mover shitcoin. It is the unchallenged king of shitcoins! Bow down to its glory pesants!  
It was the first and nothing will come after it!!! Just eat it! If you don't want it we'll ram it down your throat!
Pay your taxes to the miners and shut up!
The mighty shitcoin will not be challenged! Why pay 5% to your government when you can pay 10% to the anonymous miners? ShBitcoin revolution forever!

Now, you get it. Welcome to the club!
You opened my eyes

Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 11:17:34 AM

I'm fairly well convinced that the entire world fiat money structure is likely to collapse some time within my lifetime (I recognize some other rational people may not agree with my assessment). When that event transpires, an 'alternative' will be a necessity. If Bitcoin is mature enough when the cataclysm is upon us, Bitcoin would be a wonderful alternative. Indeed, it is a nearly ideally-engineered money

That's it for me too, bitcoin is the lifeboat, we should be glad it's getting tested in stormy seas.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 05:44:12 PM

How does the dynamic on bitcointalk change when the bitcoin experiment fails and it falls to the $1-$5 range? The legendary early adopters will no longer hold power and the forum at whole will become a better distributed/ fairer environment. Since most people came into bitcoin to increase their FIAT holdings, they have totally missed the point and too much emphasis is on price rather than technology. Looking over the forum, people are foaming at the mouths like rabid dogs, hoping (like a religious sect) for the price to rise. They have indirectly become slaves to the very system that satoshi was looking to fix.

As soon as bitcoin fails, we can live in harmony. All you should care about is 1 BTC = 1 BTC.

If it falls to $1-$5, Draper would probably buy the entire bitcoins available.  Tongue
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: