Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 02:51:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins reputation?  (Read 1392 times)
nextgencoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 04:26:58 AM

All the time I read people are saying how such and such is damaging the reputation of Bitcoin dun dun duhhh. I just don't get it, Bitcoin doesn't need a 'good reputation' anymore than the Internet needed a good reputation to get it off the ground. Could it slow the progress of uptake? Sure but then who cares how slow it takes for people to get it.  Even MtGox in my opinion had no significant affect on Bitcoins success.  You can't have new developments and put them back in the bottle.

People need Bitcoin if they want to store their wealth, Bitcoin doesn't need people to like it. 
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 04:35:10 AM

they made a movie series called "revenge of the nerds" just to try and make computers look uncool and users nerdy

20 years later Mark Zukerberg is the pinup guy of the Digital world having dinner with the Rolling Stones

go figure that one out

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 04:36:53 AM

Yes, Bitcoin doesn't care what anyone says, or how many times people use it for crimes. Bitcoin doesn't care about Ponzi scams, web cams, drug sales, shady CEOs, or altcoin IPOs.
Bitcoin does do something really well, and its good reputation will eventually grow much faster than the bad.

flipstyle

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 04:51:01 AM

Yes, Bitcoin doesn't care what anyone says, or how many times people use it for crimes. Bitcoin doesn't care about Ponzi scams, web cams, drug sales, shady CEOs, or altcoin IPOs.

Is this how bitcoin execs pitch the technology to future adopters?
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 05:23:59 AM

Bitcoin has the power of a secure network:
Computer code doesn't ever care about you, and pointing that out is not arrogant.

altcoin hitler

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 06:09:42 AM

it's not ready to be adopted anyways. Why would you want to get people in now? To rob them of their money?
Bitcoin means: wait for the year 2024 to get in - before that it's only burning money away. Bitcoin needs to be looked at as a charity for miners.

King of the real Bitcoin Foundation https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934517.0
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:44:16 AM

Interesting enough topic.
What we need is Bitcoin to make itself useful to others and be able to convince others to use it in order for all users to maximize their benefit
(Raising it up from the seeds like gardening and then getting some roots growing)

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:51:39 AM

they made a movie series called "revenge of the nerds" just to try and make computers look uncool and users nerdy

20 years later Mark Zukerberg is the pinup guy of the Digital world having dinner with the Rolling Stones

go figure that one out

Wait, what? That's what you took away fro those movies? I suppose you thought "Wall Street" (1987) was a documentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Wl2r_VlhA

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:58:27 AM

you seriously think the man in the street is going to consider btc for storing wealth when he's watched it drop 75% from all time high? right now the only thing its useful for is buying illegal stuff online

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.
Rico Suave

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:59:08 AM

All the time I read people are saying how such and such is damaging the reputation of Bitcoin dun dun duhhh. I just don't get it, Bitcoin doesn't need a 'good reputation' anymore than the Internet needed a good reputation to get it off the ground. Could it slow the progress of uptake? Sure but then who cares how slow it takes for people to get it.  Even MtGox in my opinion had no significant affect on Bitcoins success.  You can't have new developments and put them back in the bottle.

People need Bitcoin if they want to store their wealth, Bitcoin doesn't need people to like it. 

I agree that bitcoin's reputation can''t be helped in the minds of the ignorant and uneducated not does it matter, but at the moment bitcoin isn't a great store of wealth either but could be in the future. It's that future that I'm interested in personally.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 09:16:41 AM

you seriously think the man in the street is going to consider btc for storing wealth when he's watched it drop 75% from all time high? right now the only thing its useful for is buying illegal stuff online
Hello, 2011 called and want their post back. Er wait, it dropped 90% then.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 09:20:31 AM

The man on the street is partially responsible for the currency we have now.

Bitcoin is for the man who thinks. The man on the street will die on the street.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
waaat?

Activity: 574
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 09:26:19 AM

Bitcoin is for the man who thinks. The man on the street will die on the street.

what an arrogant and pretentious statement to make. I hope you don't choke on your magic beans one day.
nextgencoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 04:31:28 AM

what an arrogant and pretentious statement to make. I hope you don't choke on your magic beans one day.

He's here discussing the merits on the forum related to the discussion. Why are you on a forum mocking the subject of the forum you are on. I can only conclude you're an idiot....what other options have you given me?
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 04:37:11 AM

All the time I read people are saying how such and such is damaging the reputation of Bitcoin dun dun duhhh. I just don't get it, Bitcoin doesn't need a 'good reputation' anymore than the Internet needed a good reputation to get it off the ground. Could it slow the progress of uptake? Sure but then who cares how slow it takes for people to get it.  Even MtGox in my opinion had no significant affect on Bitcoins success.  You can't have new developments and put them back in the bottle.

Excellent point. Even Satoshi ran off with about 1 million bitcoin that he mined while maintaining the lion's share of the network hashrate.

That doesn't mean everyone in bitcoin is bad. Lips sealed
klik

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 05:48:46 AM

bitcoin in my country is not so well known because not many people who know and understand the workings of bitcoin
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 05:54:21 AM

All the time I read people are saying how such and such is damaging the reputation of Bitcoin dun dun duhhh. I just don't get it, Bitcoin doesn't need a 'good reputation' anymore than the Internet needed a good reputation to get it off the ground. Could it slow the progress of uptake? Sure but then who cares how slow it takes for people to get it.  Even MtGox in my opinion had no significant affect on Bitcoins success.  You can't have new developments and put them back in the bottle.

Ignore other ppl who judge bitcoin is bad, they just see on one side.
tins

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 05:55:31 AM

bitcoin in my country is not so well known because not many people who know and understand the workings of bitcoin

The tide will change as more of the larger institutions begin integrating BTC.
Dell, Overstock, hopefully Ebay/Paypal on its way, more and more.
After a while it'll be impossible for the "man on the street" to continue ignoring Bitcoin.
klik

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 06:14:29 AM

in my opinion the reputation of bitcoin will increase if the way to get it is not so difficult BTC
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:19:48 PM

In my country people generally still don't trust Internet generally, they are afraid to buy or sell over Internet...
Of course, in such environment, bitcoin is for them fantasy land, not something real.
I hope this will change soon!

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀