Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:28:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Bitcoin USB Wallet  (Read 8010 times)
Soepkip (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 11:10:03 PM

So I was thinking about a nice little 'promotion' tool for BitCoin which would actually serve some use out of it.

Basic idea is to use the BitCoin logo as a real life touchable coin like keyring, with hidden inside a little flip out/slide out USB drive.
On that USB drive like 128MB room for data. The idea is to put your wallet.dat file on there as backup.

Much like the MSN Key rings from the past: http://i42.tinypic.com/wi65uh.jpg

Guess some manufacturer in China should be able to create something like this Smiley

Then sell these for like 1BTC a pop or so.

Thoughts?

I'd say: Use this as a front:

████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████

->  BLOCKTIX  ->  Ticketing platform with a dual blockchain on Ethereum for event hosting
-> WEBSITE - SLACK - TWITTER - FORUM
-> Join our community to learn about our upcoming ICO

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 11:34:01 PM

Even better would be one of those usb drives in the form factor of a credit card, so that you can actually keep it in your wallet.

I'd by that for a bitcoin.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Current-C

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 11:39:38 PM

I looked into this (briefly) and for small scale production it ended up being cost prohibitive.  More power to you if you can find someone who can produce them cheap enough though!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 12:04:21 AM

It would be neat if it was packaged with some sort of autorun batch file to automatically encrypt and copy the wallet file from the typical storage location in the appdata folder.  That way, you just plug it in, run the batch file (or it'll autorun if you're on an older version of Windows), and you're done!
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 12:50:10 AM

There's plenty of companies who'll put a custom logo on a USB stick for you, but they do it in batches of 100, so for single users it's not cost-effective.
However, if you want the advantage of a removable medium that can be stored in your physical wallet the logo is just showing off Wink

Don't bother copying wallet.dat to the harddrive - that increases security risks needlessly. Stick windows, linux and mac builds  of the client on a USB stick with all the settings also on the USB stick using relative pathnames - you can skip having all 3 platforms if you only use one of them. Personally i'd stick an encrypted filesystem image and a script for decrypting it on there and manually decrypt+mount it as needed, though right now I have no need for moving my wallet.dat around.
shackra

Activity: 237
Merit: 102

1 Pedro 3:15-16 (DHH)

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2011, 01:05:42 AM

you know the Bitbills? http://bitbills.com/

they are more cheaper... try it!

Bitcoin-OTC | GPG: 43C5AF3C1C559BA2 | Telegram: https://t.me/jorge_personal
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:25:32 AM

There's plenty of companies who'll put a custom logo on a USB stick for you, but they do it in batches of 100, so for single users it's not cost-effective.
However, if you want the advantage of a removable medium that can be stored in your physical wallet the logo is just showing off Wink

Don't bother copying wallet.dat to the harddrive - that increases security risks needlessly. Stick windows, linux and mac builds  of the client on a USB stick with all the settings also on the USB stick using relative pathnames - you can skip having all 3 platforms if you only use one of them. Personally i'd stick an encrypted filesystem image and a script for decrypting it on there and manually decrypt+mount it as needed, though right now I have no need for moving my wallet.dat around.
Oh, that's an excellent idea.  Then you can just plug it in and run it on any computer.

I like.  Cheesy
Soepkip (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 09:54:02 AM

Yeah, maybe see how many ppl would actually want a BitCoin USB stick Smiley

████
██████████████████████

->  BLOCKTIX  ->  Ticketing platform with a dual blockchain on Ethereum for event hosting
-> WEBSITE - SLACK - TWITTER - FORUM
-> Join our community to learn about our upcoming ICO
OtaconEmmerich

Activity: 235

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:09:22 PM

Oh, that's an excellent idea.  Then you can just plug it in and run it on any computer.

I like.  Cheesy
Agreed, I've love to have something like this and I'd pay around 10-20 USD for one. Bonus points for making it thin enough to fit in a wallet.
Morti

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2011, 01:37:37 PM

I'd be willing to make this happen in the UK but I don't have the money, I'd need to take pre-orders. Unfortunately I haven't done any trading in BTC yet so I can't prove I'm legit. I could charge something like 5BTC each but I'd need to get the coins, exchange them for pounds, order the cards once I have money for 10 orders, then ship them all out. During all this you'd pretty much just have to trust me.

I could show you eBay feedback though, if that helps at all. Tongue

I've found a company in the UK that will do credit card sized USB sticks with a minimum order of 10 so it's doable, but I think the trust issue is going to stop this one before it happens.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:56:59 PM

Even better would be one of those usb drives in the form factor of a credit card, so that you can actually keep it in your wallet.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/flashkus/
this would fit into a wallet Wink

That thing would be awesome in a postcard mailer form factor.  Talk about a real postalnet.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 02:38:53 AM

don't use thumbdrives.

use SD or microSD cards.  buy a bunch without labels.

and you can print up logos on an inkjet using sticky-back, high-gloss paper.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 02:53:21 AM

don't use thumbdrives.

use SD or microSD cards.  buy a bunch without labels.

and you can print up logos on an inkjet using sticky-back, high-gloss paper.
Do both, and let people buy whichever one they want.  I can see the advantages of an SD card, but I don't always have a card reader handy, so would prefer a USB stick.
Basiley

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 03:20:54 AM

as long as it use flash-memory SSD, my answer was "No!"
when FRAM[produced by Ramtron], RRAM[TSMC ?Panasonic? Samsung ? in this year end/2012/Q1], MRAM[some Russian and EU fabs] storage used - i will buy one-two, probably.
thefiatfreezone

Activity: 30

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 04:01:29 AM

so ... if you had you wallet.dat file on a USB stick, you would not mind putting it into a strangers computer, knowing full well they could easily have a virus or spy ware that copies your information instantly???

Have you never heard of a personal mobile device, blackberry, etc .. will some security? ... just connect to your 'bank' where ever you keep your wallet and securely send/recieve BTC when/where you want???
shackra

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 04:24:51 AM

repeat:

you know the Bitbills? http://bitbills.com/

they are more cheaper... try it!

:-|?

Basiley

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 04:30:21 AM

so ... if you had you wallet.dat file on a USB stick, you would not mind putting it into a strangers computer, knowing full well they could easily have a virus or spy ware that copies your information instantly???

Have you never heard of a personal mobile device, blackberry, etc .. will some security? ... just connect to your 'bank' where ever you keep your wallet and securely send/recieve BTC when/where you want???
proprietary OS-powered device ? RIM ? PIM ? security ? hardly.
thefiatfreezone

Activity: 30

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 04:40:43 AM

? what about Android .. isn't that Open?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 05:02:10 AM

Yes, android is a version of Linux.  Notice that none of the open source programmers here have released anything bitcoin related for the closed source OS's for smartphones.

shackra

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 05:22:52 AM

Yes, android is a version of Linux.  Notice that none of the open source programmers here have released anything bitcoin related for the closed source OS's for smartphones.

a version of Linux? hmm... yeah, just the Linux Kernel, as far i know, Linux is not a OS.

and with http://bitbills.com you no get viruses or trojans :-|

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: