Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:29:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A more robust Bitcoin ecosystem  (Read 954 times)
consensus-analytics.com (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 12:56:52 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2015, 02:35:08 PM by consensus-analytics.com

Bitstamp inspired me to write about how Bitcoin could not only decentralize currency but how it could decentralize the infrastructure that supports the Bitcoin economy. Of inspiration was also a TED talk by Guy Kawasaki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtjatz9r-Vc&feature=youtu.be&t=1m56s

I wrote it from the perspective of an entrepreneur: Everyone is talking about the democratization and decentralization the Internet and Bitcoin brought but rarely do people really ask themselves how this could be applied to the infrastructure we (Bitcoin ethusiasts) deal with all day.

Here is the article: http://consensus-analytics.com/bitstamp-breach-next-big-platform/
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stellar1

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 01:06:52 PM

Fully agree. A BTC exchange is just a transplant from fiat economy where it is regulated and safely netted. Why have an exchange when a blockchain is all we needed ? And we already had it, didn't we ? So why did we not use it ?

Human nature perhaps. This forum is replete with seniors and other folks calling certain services pure scams...people read them...still decide to send them their BTC...just in case it works and coming back to begin threads on this service and that and describing how they got cheated. 
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 08:24:59 AM

Hmmm. Not so sure. As was proven conclusively at the dawn of Ripple, a Bitcoin-IOU is not a Bitcoin. But unthinking users will treat them as such. Until they get burned, and end up holding a bag of Bitcoin-IOUs that no one will redeem into Bitcoins.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
consensus-analytics.com (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 03:45:02 PM

Hmmm. Not so sure. As was proven conclusively at the dawn of Ripple, a Bitcoin-IOU is not a Bitcoin. But unthinking users will treat them as such. Until they get burned, and end up holding a bag of Bitcoin-IOUs that no one will redeem into Bitcoins.
I realized this too. See the bottom of the article in the OP for my comment on a possible solution.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: