Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:35:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S5: a freestyle review by Rabinovitch  (Read 11315 times)
Rabinovitch (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076

BTCLife.global participant

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 05:26:14 AM
Last edit: February 23, 2015, 05:48:18 AM by Rabinovitch

Danke vielmals / spasibo for your most excellent thread.
Are you certain that these stock fans are 105 CFM?
The 3 howling banshees in my basement are between 72 - 78db with the stock fans and NEVER EVER seem to go at less than 3800 rpm (not overclocked either, all is stock) at a temp of about 48 - 52C.

Hi! Glad to see your post here!  Wink

That was a reply to this post. There is the stock fan coming with S5 on the photo. It's about 140 CFM. As for the Navipower HDB-1212UA fans - they seems to be 105 CFM. But now my choice is cheap but effective fan Gembird DC120SF-12AS3 (you can see here the results of using it). Even two of them since I moved the S5 from living room to another place where the noise is not the problem.

I don't understand why a scythe rated at 133cfm is not sufficient for cooling as some users have claimed in other threads.
How has it been believed by them that 133 CFM rated fan was not sufficient? May be the reason is unsufficient static pressure level?.. I don't know...
I expect some used Apple 4 pin Delta AFB1212HHE-F00 sometime this week, that are rated
2900 RPM 120.07 CFM  44 dBa and hope they will do a better and MUCH, MUCH less noisier job.

Yeah, they should.  Smiley

I'm also not as brave as you to run the miners at anything over 70C.

If the datasheet of BM1384 chips is correct, 70C temperature is not a problem. But sure in case of silicon-based circuits we should seek for lower temps... But the noise...
You know, in case of aluminum heatsinks it should look like in Avalon4 - less quantity of more solid fins (maybe narrowed to the ends).

In case of S5 we somewhy have high temps and high noise. It's inevitable.

Thank you for your courage, and I will be looking forward to your further documentations of your experiments. (are you giving the vertical orientation of the miners any consideration?)

How can it help, especially in case of not so appropriate heatsinks?.. I think that if you can place them in that way, vertically-oriented, it's better that horyzontal orientation, bot not so much better.  Roll Eyes

From Siberia with love! Hosting by Rabinovitch!
Fundraising for BOINC Farm
Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gemstone

Activity: 56
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 08:36:48 PM

Thank you for your kind reply.
I completely understood the CFM for the fans wrong, thank you for clarifying... the 105cfm is for the 'replacement' you used. Now it makes much more sense
that the Noc/scythes aren't sufficient... neither is reaching 140cfm. Different Delta's than the ones I ordered  get to that number, but at 4000 rpm the noise
must be pretty much the same. Push/pull with an open case doesn't make sense to me.

I agree that the Avalon appears to have a much better cooling fin design and should cool with much less airflow.
I will try the vertical arrangement of the S5's once the fans are here, every little bit helps at this time, but I might have to consider different miners for
home usage. It seems most of them are designed now for large scale operations where noise is less of an issue.

I will watch for your further posts and I might post to your thread the experience with the new fans.
Ha здopoвьe
gemstone

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 01:06:39 AM

I am too lazy to repeat the message here,
but thank you!!!!!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=945775.msg10561128#msg10561128
nikolka1543

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 03:24:08 PM

Hello, guy!

Could you tell me the dimensions of the S5's hashboard and it's radiator?
Length x Width x Height.

https://i.imgur.com/lZmXzh2.jpg
gemstone

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 06:18:57 AM

Just a spot of info...
I received the box of Delta's 1212HHE and they are of no use.
These are Apple Case fans and come with 4 pin connector (and ALL black wires), but the S5 will not drive it.
I possibly could figure out how to make them go at a fixed speed, but at 55 I'm too old to fiddle around with things I don't WANT to understand.
I tried to liberate that 'pig' in the wall 50 years ago with a 'match', holding the match head between my fingers, just to be 'lucky' and hit that
HOT wire on the first try, finding myself 4m away upside down the opposite wall with the the burning match between my fingers.
(the ass whopping from dad 'cured' me indefinably from 'messing' with wires and electricity to this day)
I admire people that whip out these fancy measuring devices and know how to splice wires etc to make something go.

I am going to shop for something that works out of the box ... (not having Navi in the name though)

Let me know if you come across some viable solution to this noise pollution besides building a new shack in the back yard and run wire to it.
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 06:39:17 AM

I tried to liberate that 'pig' in the wall 50 years ago with a 'match', holding the match head between my fingers.

Liberate a pig in the wall???
Rabinovitch (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 10:33:20 AM

Mining makes people crazy.  Grin

Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.
gemstone

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 09:04:36 PM

I tried to liberate that 'pig' in the wall 50 years ago with a 'match', holding the match head between my fingers.

Liberate a pig in the wall???

Grew up in Germany and if you look at the wall outlet it 'resembles' the nose of a pig, sort of...

Now I am in the US and the sockets only have slits not round, dark, mysterious little holes.

I can assure you though, that 220V has more umpf than 110V Grin

I did that 220V experiment at least twice ... second time I saw openings in my table lamp next to the bed and decided to 'poke'
in one with a screwdriver that came with my steam engine....

Me and electricity is like water to an oil fire Cheesy
gemstone

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 09:06:29 PM

Mining makes people crazy.  Grin

Hmmmm, I thought you have to be crazy to mine Grin
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3863

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 09:24:35 PM

Just a spot of info...
These are Apple Case fans and come with 4 pin connector (and ALL black wires), but the S5 will not drive it.
I possibly could figure out how to make them go at a fixed speed, but at 55 I'm too old to fiddle around with things I don't WANT to understand.
I tried to liberate that 'pig' in the wall 50 years ago with a 'match', holding the match head between my fingers, just to be 'lucky' and hit that
HOT wire on the first try, finding myself 4m away upside down the opposite wall with the the burning match between my fingers.
(the ass whopping from dad 'cured' me indefinably from 'messing' with wires and electricity to this day)
I admire people that whip out these fancy measuring devices and know how to splice wires etc to make something go.

I am going to shop for something that works out of the box ... (not having Navi in the name though)

Let me know if you come across some viable solution to this noise pollution besides building a new shack in the back yard and run wire to it.

Just to help-want my noctua and scythe fans? i sold my s5 without them, so i have them lying around now (two noctua and two Scythe's).
Noctua 3000 for push+Scythe for pull work at setting 350 producing 1150GH with much less noise (as long as ambient is below 30C). I have hashing records.
gemstone

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 10:21:48 PM

Just a spot of info...

Just to help-want my noctua and scythe fans? i sold my s5 without them, so i have them lying around now (two noctua and two Scythe's).
Noctua 3000 for push+Scythe for pull work at setting 350 producing 1150GH with much less noise (as long as ambient is below 30C). I have hashing records.

Hi Biodom,
what you're asking for them? Shipping in the US?
I am near Kansas City, zip code 66062.
Paypal would be my preference to pay for them and it would give you the verified shipping address ... don't think this needs to be escrow'd

Ordered a Delta AFB1212SHE-PWM yesterday which is supposed to be sufficient with only one fan, but I have 2 other S5's that could use a fix.

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3863

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 10:46:15 PM

Just a spot of info...

Hi Biodom,
what you're asking for them? Shipping in the US?
I am near Kansas City, zip code 66062.
Paypal would be my preference to pay for them and it would give you the verified shipping address ... don't think this needs to be escrow'd

Ordered a Delta AFB1212SHE-PWM yesterday which is supposed to be sufficient with only one fan, but I have 2 other S5's that could use a fix.

paypal is OK, i PM'ed you re price.
gemstone

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 02:42:08 AM

I received a Delta AFB1212SHE today and put it straight to my noisiest S5...
stock fan replacement only - no push/pull

It does need a minor modification but otherwise works rather well.
2 ridges on the connector need to be trimmed down and it will fit straight to the pins.

At this time the S5 runs a bit warmer by about 4 degrees C at 3260 rpm, but with roughly 20db less noise.

I'll proceed to replace all S5's with these fans...

Anybody know if the S4 fans are the same as the S5's?
(of course needing an extender for the rear ones in the S4)
Rabinovitch (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 04:45:36 AM

Only one ridge may be cut off.  Wink

gemstone

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 06:14:43 AM

Only one ridge may be cut off.  Wink

I'll be damned, never bloody occurred to me!!!!
Genius, I'll tell you, pure Genius you are :-) Roll Eyes Grin Undecided
Rabinovitch (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 01:58:19 PM

Length x Width x Height.

Hashing board itself: 250x135 mm. Radiator: 250x115x37 mm.

nikolka1543

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 02:13:34 PM

Length x Width x Height.

https://i.imgur.com/lZmXzh2.jpg

Hashing board itself: 250x135 mm. Radiator: 250x115x37 mm.

Thanks a lot!
Rabinovitch (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 03:01:27 PM

I am glad to see that this information was useful for you.  Grin

Rabinovitch (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 02:18:33 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2015, 02:27:38 PM by Rabinovitch

My new S5s has arrived yesterday.

Shipping was very quick (the order has been paid at May 23rd, shipped at May 25th). It looks that the packages are not being packed well enough as before:

But S5s seems to be brand new units with v1.91 blades:

So now I can really stick the radiators on that copper plates.  Smiley But it looks that this is not necessary, take a look at the temps:

Both units has the noname fans that differs in details from each other and my first S5's fan. I put into work only one unit untill now and I have to say that it's fan is much, much quieter then I expected. I can hear it from another side of the house though.  Smiley

Now Bitmain invented new way to connect to the miners - using the button on it's I/O board and IPReporter sowtware (since the miners use DHCP by default). But I was not able to discover brand new unit because only my old S5 was reporting it's IP address constantly to this sowtare. In spite that it has no special button for IP address reporting. So the only way for me was the list of DHCP leases of my router...

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: