Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:16:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BITSTAMPS BACK!  (Read 2508 times)
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 05:03:01 AM

I highly doubt they have the finances to buy it outright. I think they will have a plan where they slowly pays back the customers over time, or offers them a stake.
That seldom works.  Many financial firms have tried that. Enron was a notable example of that going very wrong.

So, withdraw your funds from Bitstamp for a few months. If they're solvent, it won't hurt them a bit. If not...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 05:08:29 AM

Not a big deal, they have so many coins sitting in the cold storage collecting dust. Their reserve ratio is much higher than any banks in the world, which typically have only 20% of customer funds at hand while still serve the customer for decades
Banks do not work that way. Banks make loans, which are assets to a bank. If you own a loan, you can sell it, which banks do. Loans plus cash plus capital must exceed deposits. Trouble can appear if a broad class of loans lose value, which is what happened in 2008.

Bitcoin exchanges have no secured loans as assets. They are not banks. They are not lending institutions. They have to have 100% of their deposits or they are insolvent.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:27:42 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 05:40:53 AM by johnyj

Not a big deal, they have so many coins sitting in the cold storage collecting dust. Their reserve ratio is much higher than any banks in the world, which typically have only 20% of customer funds at hand while still serve the customer for decades
Banks do not work that way. Banks make loans, which are assets to a bank. If you own a loan, you can sell it, which banks do. Loans plus cash plus capital must exceed deposits. Trouble can appear if a broad class of loans lose value, which is what happened in 2008.

Bitcoin exchanges have no secured loans as assets. They are not banks. They are not lending institutions. They have to have 100% of their deposits or they are insolvent.

What you said is academically true. But behind the scene, banks and exchanges work exactly the same way: Customers only play with numbers in their database until they withdraw real money. That's the reason M2 and M3 can be magnitudes higher than monetary base since they are only some numbers in bank's database

Bitcoin is hard assets, you could consider those hacked coins as a long term loan to hackers. Even so, bitstamp still have 80% of customer funds at hand. But in a bank, they never keep more than 40% of the funds at hand and their long term loan to business can not be easily liquidated. When a wave of customer withdraw hit, banks reserve will be drained quickly, and they have to borrow from other banks at the cost of interbank short term interest (LIBOR), but if majority of banks are facing such withdraw pressure, they will turn to FED asking for new base money injection

In bitcoin world there is no lender of last resort, so if everyone withdraw from bitstamp, they will have a bank run, but I think with more than 80% reserve ratio they are much safer than most of the banks

I remember that after 2011 MTGOX hack, they proved that they had 400K coins in a cold storage, and finally they lost 800K coins, so it is very likely that they were operating in a 50% reserve basis for almost 3 years

Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 06:05:48 AM

The next question is whether Bitstamp is now insolvent.  They lost $5 million.  Did they get new funding to replace that, did they have enough capital of their own, or are they dipping into customer funds?  Their statements have carefully avoided mentioning this issue.

If a real stockbroker lost funds like that, and became insolvent (debts > assets), they would have to stop operations immediately.  In some jurisdictions it is a felony for a broker to continue to accept funds once insolvent.  They don't get to "fix it later". That's because, historically, the temptation to fix it by speculating with customer funds has been a big problem.

With withdrawals working again, it's probably a good idea to get your assets out of Bitstamp. Don't use them as a wallet. Trade there if you like, but empty out your account when not actively trading.

Bitstamp now needs a full audit by an outside auditing firm.

You are right to point that out because unlike financial institutions which have assets to back them up, I don't believe exchangers have that as well. I really hate to see them go but at least they must be given a chance to recover. I'm not sure how it is possible... probably when they start back operation and get things moving again like normal business day, this will allow them to secure funding either from investors or how. Or either way, maybe the loss for them is too small for them and they already have contingency plan in place. We just don't know that. So, it's a good idea not to leave large amount right now which goes the same for any other exchangers.

rayson

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 07:27:57 AM

good news then
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 08:18:26 AM

gotta say great job bitstamp, you guys have proven to be trustworthy, i hope the security is sound now.
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 08:57:08 AM

Great! Bitstamp prove their job professionally and their trustworthy too.
I hope the price will rise! Cheesy
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 09:06:13 AM

Price up!!!

lol , I wish that happens.  But I don't see any reason of that happening just because of it coming back.

actually the price is rising right now

Moon  Tongue ?

Preev.com => 281.1 USD

Bitstamp.net => 278 USD

Google.com => 297.96 USD

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: