Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:17:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fork off  (Read 37670 times)
railzand (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 01:56:41 PM

http://qntra.net/2015/01/the-hard-fork-missile-crisis/

"... Today Gavin posted on his personal blog an article titled "Looking before the Scaling Up Leap", stating "My goal is to prove that it is safe to raise the maximum block size from 1MB to at least 20MB" along with "I'll argue we should schedule a hard fork." Reddit soon blindly praised Gavin for his work, with comments such as "Fork it hard."

It appears as if Gavin will not give up unless his hard fork is a reality, and thus Mircea Popescu has made a declaration of war if Gavin proceeds with his plans. ..."

http://trilema.com/2015/if-you-go-on-a-bitcoin-fork-irrespective-which-scammer-proposes-it-you-will-lose-your-bitcoins/

"... To make it perfectly clear : in no case will MPEx accept this fake Bitcoin, as it's not accepted any other fake Bitcoin to date, and for the exact reasons. Moreover, my budget to sink this scam exceeds the budget of everyone involved on the supporting side.vi That is all. ..."

So, Gavin, do you really want to lose little people their coins? Or could you just let it drop?

Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:12:03 PM

This thread may prove to be interesting. I'm in! Anybody else watching to see how this unfolds?
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:14:20 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 03:00:11 PM by cr1776

This will be interesting but his attitude and comments about his budget are a big turnoff. I'd like to hear a coherent argument against it vs raving before I would give it much credence.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:25:50 PM

Gavin's thoughts are well reasoned and coherent, and these proposed changes will be a step in the right direction for Bitcoin.

http://blog.bitcoinfoundation.org/blocksize-economics/
https://blog.bitcoinfoundation.org/a-bitcoin-backbone/
https://blog.bitcoinfoundation.org/a-scalability-roadmap/

The detractors within your articles are spewing incoherent fear and seem to have a knee-jerk protectionist reaction instead of giving coherent point by point rebuttals to Gavin's proposal. Bitcoin does have many problems that still need to be addressed like the size of the blockchain and centralization problems but these are already solutions being implemented to target these problems.

I support the Hardfork and Gavin with this specific proposal.

p.s... Lest I be accused of being some establishment boot-licker, I am an open Crypto-anarchist who also supports Cody Wilson's platform to destroy the Bitcoin foundation(Nothing against Gavin personally as his contributions have been fantastic and we would insure that him and other core developers are taken care of in the event that the Bitcoin Foundation is destroyed)

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:30:11 PM

This thread may prove to be interesting. I'm in! Anybody else watching to see how this unfolds?
There's nothing to watch. What's anyone gonna do, make the price drop?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:34:12 PM

You know, even if it was a genocidal African warlord kleptocrat proposing the fork, I'd be inclined to support it to see Mircenary Popalottacrack taken down several pegs.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
railzand (OP)

Activity: 462

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:36:20 PM

You know, even if it was a genocidal African warlord kleptocrat proposing the fork, I'd be inclined to support it to see Mircenary Popalottacrack taken down several pegs.

Well it is effectively Obama proposing the fork, so ...

inBitweTrust

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:46:19 PM

Well it is effectively Obama proposing the fork, so ...

What do you mean by this? Gavin is more of an independent political thinker and would tend to support green or libertarian leaning candidates if you reviewed his blog.

http://gavinthink.blogspot.com/search/label/Politics
http://gavinthink.blogspot.com/2006/11/mostly.html

Quote from: Gavin
I'm mostly a libertarian.

I used to be mostly a Democrat, but I've become both more cynical and more optimistic as I've grown older.

I'm cynical about the ability of Government to solve our problems. Most of the really big problems (wars, genocides, environmental destruction) are either the direct or indirect result of government.

Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:54:18 PM

Sorry, no slur meant on Gavin, I was merely observing that a fork proposal could not be fucked up enough to make me not consider backing it against MP

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 02:59:51 PM

I'm with Gavin on this one. We need to look long term on the benefits it will bring by increasing the block size.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 03:01:50 PM

Sorry, no slur meant on Gavin, I was merely observing that a fork proposal could not be fucked up enough to make me not consider backing it against MP

I understood your context and agree(Mircea is an ass , but I won't base my decision upon that personality flaw alone)... I was addressing the fallacious and odd political or racial? insinuation railzand made.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 03:05:24 PM

i say "yes" when the majorty of trustworthy devs say that too and when they give good reasons for a change.

insidertradingeverywhere

Activity: 468
Merit: 100

The world’s first Play, Learn and Earn

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 03:22:55 PM

let him play all he wants. It's a shitcoin anyway and not worth much of anything in a few weeks/months. A hardfork is just the last nail in the coffin. Market will teach you.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 03:27:48 PM

let him play all he wants. It's a shitcoin anyway and not worth much of anything in a few weeks/months. A hardfork is just the last nail in the coffin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0oDDIy0P2s

Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 03:30:13 PM

i say "yes" when the majorty of trustworthy devs say that too and when they give good reasons for a change.

Yes I suppose I am going to rationally analyse the situation...

... but I'm having a hard time not physically ROTFLMAO at the conceit of MP basically saying "I'm going to fight fire by sitting on my huge pile of inflammable things, throwing handfuls of them into the air" and I can barely splutter out "Hokay then, ima get my flamethrower..."

balu2

Activity: 742

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:28:51 PM

Forking in favour for a blockchainbloat sounds good to me, will help it to die faster. I learned to hate it anyways and it's rapidly decaying thanks to idiotic economc planning of coinsemission. I'm pretty much done with it. Please hurry up, our time is valuable.

I'll be holding no bitcoin at the time of the fork and possibly not even rebuying ever, since i want to store the chain on my computer and you can stick your liteversion up the anus.

You'll notice a black swan when you see him. Can't be long now.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 04:39:16 PM

Exactly what is the problem here?
We have forked in the past too. Whoever stands between progress in Bitcoin should be ignored. I honestly hope that we run into an issue that will force us into a fork for all these people who oppose it.

Who exactly is MPEx, I've missed that one?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:39:35 PM

Bitcoin can be hi-jacked by a simple majority?  

The ALT coins can fork.  

But once a crypto is past the age of 4.  Or $10m in marketcap.
No you do not fork.

Bitcoin the only value it has against the ALTs is that it will not fork, because it is impossible to establish a 99% consensus.  

Want a better 'bitcoin' make one
Launch it on the market.  

Hell give a snap shot distribution to the bitcoin holders.

Let the market, not a group of devs decide.

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
balu2

Activity: 742

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:54:01 PM

Exactly what is the problem here?
We have forked in the past too. Whoever stands between progress in Bitcoin should be ignored. I honestly hope that we run into an issue that will force us into a fork for all these people who oppose it.

Who exactly is MPEx, I've missed that one?

not against progress at all.
I'm against forking in favour of a bloat - bloating the chain is no progress.

Scalability should be possible to achieve in other ways. I refuse liteversion - i want to be able to store the chain on my system with 100gb max space in the forseeable future. What you do is enforcing centralisation and incapacitate the user.

Has there been a money-price set up for the person providing the most smart solution or is bitcoin only one dev and decisionmaker and that's it?

You make the impression as if you had a decent notch too much marketcap and believe me, this bearmarket will continue throughout the year because bitcoin has a  host of problems with the rewards and the sellpressure they put on the market. Your focus is on the wrong things and your priorities are out of whack.

Bitcoin is some megalomaniac shitcoin. You can't even hold your value, what do you care about scalability? Nobody wants to use a coin which can't hold the value anyways.

Fortunately we don't  have to use it.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:57:13 PM

Bitcoin can be hi-jacked by a simple majority?  

The ALT coins can fork.  

But once a crypto is past the age of 4.  Or $10m in marketcap.
No you do not fork.

Bitcoin the only value it has against the ALTs is that it will not fork, because it is impossible to establish a 99% consensus.  

Want a better 'bitcoin' make one
Launch it on the market.  

Hell give a snap shot distribution to the bitcoin holders.

Let the market, not a group of devs decide.

In case you didn't know, bitcoin is still in beta and a work in progress that needs to scale. It doesn't matter if bitcoin is more than 4 years old or more than $10M in maketcap. If a fork is required then be it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: