Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 03:34:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please answer 3 technical questions  (Read 6424 times)
Eamorr (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 10:34:27 AM

That's all very fine. The "transaction" is useless unless it's confirmed by miners. The energy question (10bn people * 10 transactions per day) still stands.
The processing power required to mine a block is completely unrelated to the number of transactions included in that block. Mining a block with 5 transactions will cost just as much (or as little) as mining one with 10,000 transactions.
We've ascertained that. The block chain size still needs a band-aid.

The consumer and the retailer don't care about the technical nuance you've described (that a transaction is separate to a confirmation).
If that's true, no retailer would ever accept credit cards, as they effectively have a confirmation time of 6+ months.

If you still think that's a technical nuance, let me spell it out for you:

Credit card Bitcoin
Transaction time1 5-10 sec 1-2 sec
Confirmation time2 3-12 months 10 minutes

1 = the time it takes to make a payment
2 = the time it takes for a payment to become irreversible
Comparing apples with oranges.

Were you sick on the day the teacher was explaining algebra?

3. Is centralization of the network inevitable?
No. P2P mining.
Lol. In this case, will the electricity usage be even more obscene?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 09:50:06 PM

We've ascertained that. The block chain size still needs a band-aid.
Uhm, why exactly?

You seem to think are are all kinds of problems, shortcomings or limitations with Bitcoin, that aren't really there.

Comparing apples with oranges.
No, comparing credit card payments (claiming a transactions takes only seconds) to the 10 minute confirmation time of Bitcoin, is comparing apples with oranges.

Bitcoin is faster in terms of sending money around, and WAY faster in terms of transactions becoming irreversible.

Were you sick on the day the teacher was explaining algebra?
That's funny, with me actually being an algebra teacher.

Lol. In this case, will the electricity usage be even more obscene?
Obscene, you say? Huh (and why the hell it would be "even more" obscene with P2P mining is completely beyond me)

Anyway:

Source: http://www.coindesk.com/microscope-conclusions-costs-bitcoin/

Your point again?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Eamorr (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 09:52:45 PM

What a load of bollox.

Bitcoin is a tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of the global economy.

If 10bn people were doing 10 transactions a day, at the rate Bitcoin is going, each village on the planet would need it's own power station.

You are a retard. No amount of large letter assertions will change this.

I wish you all the best with your business.
Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 10:30:53 PM

What a load of bollox.

If 10bn people were doing 10 transactions a day, at the rate Bitcoin is going, each village on the planet would need it's own power station.
10bn people doing 10 transactions a day can be processed with EXACTLY the same amount of miners as today.

You still don't seem to understand this, so I'll say it again: the processing power required to mine a block is completely unrelated to the number of transactions included in that block. Mining a block with 5 transactions will cost just as much (or as little) as mining one with 10,000 transactions.

Ah, the infamous ad hominem, if every other (lack of) argument failed.

Bitcoin is not a business for me. More like a fascination and appreciation of how a smart idea and ingenious invention has the potential to make a difference, and take away some power of the establishment. Just like the upcoming of the internet did.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Eamorr (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 10:36:57 PM

What a load of bollox.

10bn people doing 10 transactions a day can be processed with EXACTLY the same amount of miners as today.

You still don't seem to understand this, so I'll say it again: the processing power required to mine a block is completely unrelated to the number of transactions included in that block. Mining a block with 5 transactions will cost just as much (or as little) as mining one with 10,000 transactions.

Factually incorrect. What about the block size? How to change that? Bitcoin2.0? Why bother? There are other cryptos that have addressed all these issues.

An announcement that everyone needs to now install Bitcoin 2.0 would crash the market to 0 overnight.

Ah, the infamous ad hominem, if every other (lack of) argument failed.
I already provided you with several central refutations. You are a Bitcoin zealot and there's no talking to you.

Bitcoin is not a business for me. More like a fascination and appreciation of how a smart idea and ingenious invention has the potential to make a difference, and take away some power of the establishment. Just like the upcoming of the internet did.
Best of luck with the trainspotting. There are serious folks out there who have invested huge personal energy, time and money in better alternatives. People who envisage a brighter future for humanity - there's serious work to do.

Folks like you want to strap a jet engine onto a steam engine.

Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 10:47:32 PM

Factually incorrect. What about the block size? How to change that?
Plenty of options currently being discussed. Increasing block frequency, increasing max block size over time, pruning block chain at certain intervals, side chains, etc. Look at Gavin Andresen's recent posts on this. Scalability is not an issue.

An announcement that everyone needs to now install Bitcoin 2.0 would crash the market to 0 overnight.
Bitcoin isn't even 1.0 yet. Changes like this can be discussed by developers and the community, and once the majority agrees, these can simply get integrated in the current Bitcoin clients to become effective at a conveniently distant point in the future. No need for announcements that "everyone needs to upgarde now" or whatever.

I already provided you with several central refutations.
No, you made some statements or assumptions that were simply incorrect, and now you try and come up with one excuse after the other for not properly understanding of how Bitcoin actually works.

You are a Bitcoin zealot and there's no talking to you.
OK, then don't.

Best of luck with the trainspotting. There are serious folks out there who have invested huge personal energy, time and money in better alternatives. People who envisage a brighter future for humanity - there's serious work to do.
Great, I'm all pro diversity! I suggest you move to their forums and start buggering them, if you obviously have no faith in Bitcoin whatsoever. Healthy competition is only good, may the best alternative win.

Eamorr (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 10:51:54 PM

Factually incorrect. What about the block size? How to change that?
Plenty of options currently being discussed. Increasing block frequency, increasing max block size over time, pruning block chain at certain intervals, side chains, etc. Look at Gavin Andresen's recent posts on this. Scalability is not an issue.

Bitcoin isn't even 1.0 yet. Changes like this can be discussed by developers and the community, and once the majority agrees, these can simply get integrated in the current Bitcoin clients to become effective at a conveniently distant point in the future. No need for announcements that "everyone needs to upgarde now" or whatever.

I already provided you with several central refutations.
No, you made some statements or assumptions that were simply incorrect, and now you try and come up with one excuse after the other for not properly understanding of how Bitcoin actually works.

You are a Bitcoin zealot and there's no talking to you.
OK, then don't.

Great, I'm all pro diversity! I suggest you move to their forums and start buggering them, if you obviously have no faith in Bitcoin whatsoever. Healthy competition is only good, may the best alternative win.

Sigh. That's your problem right there. Bitcoin is a religion to you.
Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:28:28 PM

Shit, you got me. Yes, I'm not into Bitcoin for technical reasons or its ingenious design, or the new possibilities this technology offers, or because it's all mathematically sound, or for the fact that it replaces trust in people or established powers with trust in open source, transparent cryptography, nahh... I'm all into it because I just have faith.

You win, sir. This also makes all your previous statements true. Enjoy your victory!

Eamorr (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:45:31 PM

Shit, you got me. Yes, I'm not into Bitcoin for technical reasons or its ingenious design, or the new possibilities this technology offers, or because it's all mathematically sound, or for the fact that it replaces trust in people or established powers with trust in open source, transparent cryptography, nahh... I'm all into it because I just have faith.

You win, sir. This also makes all your previous statements true. Enjoy your victory!

You'll find you'd actually agree with me (if you weren't so blinded by your religion).

The idea and theory of cyptocurrency is sound.

It's implementation (via Bitcoin) is not.
Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:57:57 PM

Care to elaborate? I'm always interested in good arguments for or against Bitcoin or alternatives. But the things you mentioned in your OP are simply not actual problems.

As for the transaction time vs confirmation time: let me illustrate this by the fact that I pay for coffee, dinner, groceries, and many other products and services with Bitcoin on a daily basis. I'm not talking about webshops or virtual online business, but typical point-of-sale situations. It works. 100% of the time. I pay in literally one second, and obviously I never EVER have to wait for the confirmation time.

I'm not saying Bitcoin is perfect, or the End To All Problems, or even near finished (strictly speaking it's still in development phase). But as a means to pay fast, efficiently, secure, both online AND offline, it already does a damn fine job.

Eamorr (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:11:59 AM

Care to elaborate? I'm always interested in good arguments for or against Bitcoin or alternatives. But the things you mentioned in your OP are simply not actual problems.

As for the transaction time vs confirmation time: let me illustrate this by the fact that I pay for coffee, dinner, groceries, and many other products and services with Bitcoin on a daily basis. I'm not talking about webshops or virtual online business, but typical point-of-sale situations. It works. 100% of the time. I pay in literally one second, and obviously I never EVER have to wait for the confirmation time.

I'm not saying Bitcoin is perfect, or the End To All Problems, or even near finished (strictly speaking it's still in development phase). But as a means to pay fast, efficiently, secure, both online AND offline, it already does a damn fine job.

10bn people doing 10 transactions a day? Yeah right...
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:40:32 AM

What a load of bollox.

Factually incorrect. What about the block size? How to change that? Bitcoin2.0? Why bother? There are other cryptos that have addressed all these issues.

Ignoratio elenchi.

Kazimir already explained the blocksize is
irrelevant to the energy usage.

The fact that the blocksize is limited
is a wholly separate issue; one that
is currently being debated now as
to the best approach to address it.

If you want to use other cryptos,
go for it.  No one is stopping you.

Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:44:46 PM

You still didn't make an argument why this wouldn't be perfectly possible.

The mining performance or energy usage is completely unrelated to number of transactions.
And as for block size: there are tons of options currently being discussed, just a matter of getting consensus of what's the best way to go. There is NO fundamental issue or problem here, Bitcoin is extremely scalable.

You sound like someone in the late 90s saying: this 'internet' thing may seem nice for electronic communication, like some emails and text websites, but downloading complete movies, or even streaming them at multiple megabytes per second in ordinary households? "Yeah right..."

Eamorr (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:53:51 PM

You still didn't make an argument why this wouldn't be perfectly possible.

The mining performance or energy usage is completely unrelated to number of transactions.
And as for block size: there are tons of options currently being discussed, just a matter of getting consensus of what's the best way to go. There is NO fundamental issue or problem here, Bitcoin is extremely scalable.

You sound like someone in the late 90s saying: this 'internet' thing may seem nice for electronic communication, like some emails and text websites, but downloading complete movies, or even streaming them at multiple megabytes per second in ordinary households? "Yeah right..."

The internet of today isn't built with 28k modems.

The only vision of the future that Bitcoin has is a 36k modem.
Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 02:05:55 PM

The internet of today isn't built with 28k modems.

The only vision of the future that Bitcoin has is a 36k modem.
You seem to be unaware of many new developments, improvements, and scalability features already being discussed and planned.

Nobody who's serious about Bitcoin thinks we'll be using (the equivalent of) 36k modems.

DumbFruit

Activity: 433
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 03:49:09 PM

Could you share with us the system that achieves decentralized consensus while having the capability of processing 100 billion transactions per day?

By their (dumb) fruits shall ye know them indeed...
Eamorr (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 04:16:36 PM

Could you share with us the system that achieves decentralized consensus while having the capability of processing 100 billion transactions per day?

So you admit that Bitcoin can't do it?

100 billion transactions per day is roughly 1 million transactions per second. Not an unachievable number.

That's what we need to be aiming for.

Strapping a jet to a steam engine is not the solution.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 04:48:09 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2015, 05:05:36 PM by jonald_fyookball

100 billion transactions per day is roughly 1 million transactions per second. Not an unachievable number.

yawn.  many avenues for scalability but you are only interested in arguing.  have fun.

Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 05:01:33 PM

You're avoiding the question.

Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 05:03:47 PM

Developments like Factom however...

1 million transactions per second, using the Bitcoin blockchain, there you go.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: