Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:06:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else finds it ironic that THE forum on BTC doesn't integrate tipping?  (Read 3730 times)
DaRude (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2793
Merit: 1820

In order to dump coins one must have coins

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 09:05:01 PM

Am i missing something here? I'd think bitcointalk would be on the forefront of tipping integration on forums

"Feeeeed me Roger!"  -Bcash
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 09:10:43 PM

As discussed on the 'New forum software' board:

I've thought about that before, but I think that there might be legal problems with that. It might make the forum a "money transmitter".

AFAIK Theymos didn't specifically comment about using ChangeTip itself though (to avoid the money transmitter issue)
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 09:53:30 PM

I would like the money I donated to the forum go toward something like this.
DaRude (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 10:08:10 PM

As discussed on the 'New forum software' board:

I've thought about that before, but I think that there might be legal problems with that. It might make the forum a "money transmitter".

AFAIK Theymos didn't specifically comment about using ChangeTip itself though (to avoid the money transmitter issue)

It'd be nice to get a solid answer if there's any truth to the money transmitter theory. But yeah clearly a third party solution would not be effected

BTCreward

Activity: 574
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 10:41:01 PM

Am i missing something here? I'd think bitcointalk would be on the forefront of tipping integration on forums
I am sure that this would create a lot of scams.....similar to those that are on reddit.

In case you were wondering how the scams work:
-user A makes a "good" post/point
-user B tips user A a lot of bitcoin for the good post (user A is user B's alt)
-user B tips many of his other alts, appearing to be very generous
-user C is compelled to tip user B (who is unrelated to user B)

This would also create massive amounts of spam with people asking to be tipped for their shitty posts and people begging others who have been generous in the past

DaRude (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 10:53:21 PM

I am sure that this would create a lot of scams.....similar to those that are on reddit.

This would also create massive amounts of spam with people asking to be tipped for their shitty posts and people begging others who have been generous in the past

This is general debate against micro tipping. Yes that will yield some evils (e.g. more spam, beggers etc...)  but i still think that its upside outweighs its downfalls. Micro tipping is one of BTC current practical use cases. If some bad players will try to abuse it is no reason to abandonment.

matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:07:02 PM

I don't want to be off-topic or controversial, but IMHO allowing paid signature campaigns already generates much more spam and shitty posts than the tipping incentive would. As DaRude says, tipping is a nice feature and practical use of Bitcoin, and abuse should be dealt with the usual way by moderators.
BTCreward

Activity: 574
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 01:11:00 AM

This is general debate against micro tipping. Yes that will yield some evils (e.g. more spam, beggers etc...)  but i still think that its upside outweighs its downfalls. Micro tipping is one of BTC current practical use cases. If some bad players will try to abuse it is no reason to abandonment.
I am not really looking for any kind of tip (so please do not interpret this as "begging"), however you are free to tip me on my BTC address that I have in my profile. (this statement was really made to prove a point)

Granted this would not be an "off chain" tip that most tipping services use, however it would still get the job done (and it would be somewhat more expensive to spend the bitcoin you send me but it is after all a tip so that doesn't matter)

Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 01:15:57 AM

I don't want to be off-topic or controversial, but IMHO allowing paid signature campaigns already generates much more spam and shitty posts than the tipping incentive would. As DaRude says, tipping is a nice feature and practical use of Bitcoin, and abuse should be dealt with the usual way by moderators.

Generates spam maybe, but not another way to scam and not bigger incentive for begging, even from newbies and lower ranks.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 01:28:48 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2015, 03:24:45 AM by TheButterZone

With new avatars disabled for security, maybe everyone could be given the option to throw their donation address QR code up as their avatar (generated by the forum, not user-uploaded) and have the avatar hyperlink to bitcoin:1theiraddressetc to cover both mobile and desktop wallets.

A different forum could have a gribble-esque OTP-based login, where people sign the OTP with their private key (which would discourage people only keeping BTC on exchanges to be "hacked", since you can't sign messages with exchange-controlled private keys).

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1242

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 01:54:11 AM

You do know you can put your address in your Bitcointalk profile or in your signature.  (I notice you don't have yours on either)

I don't understand why retards need their hand held sending 16 cents to some other retard.  Roll Eyes

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
DaRude (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 01:56:07 AM

I am not really looking for any kind of tip (so please do not interpret this as "begging"), however you are free to tip me on my BTC address that I have in my profile. (this statement was really made to prove a point)

Granted this would not be an "off chain" tip that most tipping services use, however it would still get the job done (and it would be somewhat more expensive to spend the bitcoin you send me but it is after all a tip so that doesn't matter)

Sure and i could also PM you and ask for your BTC address, internet existed before webbrowsers, and phones before iPhone, but ...

I think the point here is a prove of concept and expose is to wide adoption (meaning being user friendly) as much as to encourage quality posts. If btc forum can't integrate user friendly BTC tipping, you really expect other forums adopting it?

BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 01:57:52 AM

If btc forum can't integrate user friendly BTC tipping, you really expect other forums adopting it?

No one should... it's a total waste of time, resources and requires addition unneeded trust.

Copy, paste and send like normal fucking humans!

*pulls hair out*

A lot of the Bitcoiners in the lime light sound like fucking Dogecoiners with this tipping shit.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
DaRude (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 02:06:42 AM

If btc forum can't integrate user friendly BTC tipping, you really expect other forums adopting it?

No one should... it's a total waste of time, resources and requires addition unneeded trust.

*pulls hair out*

A lot of the Bitcoiners in the lime light sound like fucking Dogecoiners with this tipping shit.

Because i think that tipping/micro transactions are actually one of BTC (err crypto currency) use cases that makes sense and where it has no competition.

I think BTC forum could be a great proof of concept platform case. I think it's useless to argue how user friendly your solution is for wide adoption.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 02:48:51 AM

You do know you can put your address in your Bitcointalk profile or in your signature.  (I notice you don't have yours on either)

I don't understand why retards need their hand held sending 16 cents to some other retard.  Roll Eyes

I think the point is so people can publicly show their appreciation.

BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 03:02:38 AM

You do know you can put your address in your Bitcointalk profile or in your signature.  (I notice you don't have yours on either)

Isn't that what a public block chain and posting a txid is for.

People are pushing these services cause they are making these services to skim coins away from people who could do the same damn thing for near free.  Rather than educating folks on how to actually use the shit... it's far more profitable to have a dipshit user base who gives it to you for nothing.

It's just kinda funny the folks complain about no tip services don't even have a signature or a bitcoin address in their profile.

"Why don't I get any tips?!  Cry" Hmmmm I wonder...

DaRude (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 03:09:21 AM

You do know you can put your address in your Bitcointalk profile or in your signature.  (I notice you don't have yours on either)

Isn't that what a public block chain and posting a txid is for.

People are pushing these services cause they are making these services to skim coins away from people who could do the same damn thing for near free.  Rather than educating folks on how to actually use the shit... it's far more profitable to have a dipshit user base who gives it to you for nothing.

It's just kinda funny the folks complain about no tip services don't even have a signature or a bitcoin address in their profile.

"Why don't I get any tips?!  Cry" Hmmmm I wonder...

Well you seem to completely miss the point. And if the quote is in regards to me, i'm not asking for any tips, nor do i run ads in my signature as you've noticed.

siameze
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 03:18:42 AM

*pulls hair out*

This is literally all you hear on reddit, and associated drama between reddcoin which hates both doge AND changetip. For my part I don't need a fancy (and most likely insecure) browser extension to tip people with. If I want to send someone a donation they can simply post a clean address. Voila! Decentralized tipping.

I imagine too that there would be no end of butthurt from the altcoin crowd here if their coins weren't implemented to tip too.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 03:27:54 AM

On the forum profile information page here, you enter your Bitcoin address, but it doesn't get converted to a bitcoin: hyperlink like the instant messenger handles do. Just that would enable easier tipping for desktop wallets.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
siameze
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:09:35 AM

You can do it like this, but only in posts afaik: BTC Tip Me BTC

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████