Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:28:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gavin Andresen on the front page of the FT  (Read 4664 times)
pawel7777 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 07:35:22 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2015, 08:00:07 PM by pawel7777

Found on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2s3f2c/so_bitcoin_gavin_andresen_made_the_front_page_of/

Here's the link to the full article:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9b27fb72-967f-11e4-922f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3OafGQGCA

Edit: for those who can't access the article:

Bitcoin is dangerous and people should steer away from using it. This is a bearish opinion held by many traditional investors, but not one you would expect from the man responsible for turning the virtual currency into a commodity worth billions.

Yet, that is the view of Gavin Andresen, chief scientist at the Bitcoin Foundation, the closest thing to a central bank for the nascent cryptocurrency. He is considered the leading custodian of the bitcoin code, the rules and software used to run the cryptocurrency. But far from being a cheerleader, Mr Andresen, is warning ordinary people to avoid bitcoin — for now.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9b27fb72-967f-11e4-922f-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz3Ob7CfHKl

“It actually is dangerous and people should be aware it’s like the early internet,” he tells the Financial Times. “If you lived through time, you remember lots of press articles came out saying don’t give internet companies your credit card details. But the internet grew past that. Bitcoin will be the same way. Over time, I will stop saying to people, ‘Don’t use it unless you’re technically proficient enough to keep your computer secure’.”

Concerns about security were heightened on Monday after Bitstamp, Europe’s leading bitcoin exchange, suspended its operations following an apparent hack that led to the company losing 19,000 bitcoins, worth about $5m.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9b27fb72-967f-11e4-922f-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz3Ob7GZRdV

These safety issues have led to a steady fall in the price of the cryptocurrency. At its peak, bitcoin was traded for $1,240 on the Mt Gox exchange, the Japanese group that filed for bankruptcy last year after losing about $450m worth of bitcoin in a cyber attack. According to Coindesk, the bitcoin news site, the price is now about $283.

“Bitstamp is handling the incident well,” Mr Andresen says, by being transparent and explaining to customers what happened. “I hope they take the time to publish a complete postmortem on details of the attack, so other exchanges can learn from their mistakes.

“I hope Mt Gox does the same because we still don’t know what happened.”

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9b27fb72-967f-11e4-922f-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz3Ob7JsTfv

Mr Andresen is considered the protégé to “Satoshi Nakamoto”, the name adopted by the supposed inventor of bitcoin. After collaborating on the project over email, Mr Andresen was given Mr Nakamoto’s blessing to become the “core maintainer” of the bitcoin source code, working full time on the project.

While Nakamoto appears to have vanished, Mr Andresen wields huge influence on the development of the currency. He helped to found the Bitcoin Foundation in 2012 and groups from financial regulators to the CIA seek his advice.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9b27fb72-967f-11e4-922f-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz3Ob7NPxwr

His knowledge of bitcoin has led to suggestions he may actually be Nakamoto. “I am not Satoshi,” he laughs. “Ask any geek. Point them to code written by Satoshi and point them to code written by me. You can tell, they’re not the same guy.”

His theory is that the inventor is “a young academic type, somewhere in the world. I don’t think Japan. Perhaps the British Isles actually because in Satoshi’s communications he [used British rather than American spellings]. I think there’s an academic thinking about other stuff, sitting on a big pile of bitcoin.”

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9b27fb72-967f-11e4-922f-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz3Ob7QBzxr

The one person who Mr Andresen says is definitely not Satoshi Nakamoto is Dorian S. Nakamoto, the Japanese-American engineer that Newsweek named as bitcoin’s inventor last year. Mr Nakamoto, who lives in California, denies any role in bitcoin.

“He’s not the Satoshi I talked to,” says Mr Andresen. “I feel sorry for Dorian that so much personal attention got focused on this person. That shows why the actual Satoshi has worked so hard to stay anonymous.”

His influence at the Bitcoin Foundation could soon increase, after it emerged Jim Harper, its global policy counsel, was dismissed earlier this month. The move is seen as a shift in focus for the non-profit group away from policy and regulation and back towards developing bitcoin’s core technology.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9b27fb72-967f-11e4-922f-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz3Ob7UKT6x

“It is always hard when an organisation pivots and priorities change,” he said. “Effective organisations have a clear mission and focus and there is plenty of work to be done on the technical front to keep the foundation busy.”

Though Mr Andresen concedes bitcoin remains in the early days of its development, he is confident it will mature, noting that more than $300m of venture money had been invested in bitcoin start-ups in 2014.

Mr Andresen is also at the forefront of efforts to ready the virtual currency for wider use. As it is currently designed, the bitcoin network can process just seven transactions a second. By comparison, Visa is capable of handling close to 50,000 transaction a second at peak times.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9b27fb72-967f-11e4-922f-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz3Ob7dnZ00

Mr Andresen’s proposed solution is to increase the size of bitcoin blocks, the files that hold the data that underpins the currency. Their size limits the speed at which the bitcoin network can process transactions. Larger blocks can contain more transactions and, therefore, increase the capacity of the network.

But there are concerns that increasing the block size will put a strain on the network. Bigger blocks packed with more transactions requires transmitting and storing more data. This may also make it difficult for hobbyists to store a full copy of the “blockchain”, centralising power in the hands of corporations that can afford expensive servers in big data centres.

The issue is being debated by bitcoin developers. But Mr Andresen says that “we’re really close to consensus” to approve his proposal, a move that “in 20 years, would allow us to have enough capacity to handle every single electronic transaction in the world”.

While Mr Andresen tries to prepare bitcoin for mass usage, he advises caution to investors. He holds thousands of bitcoins, enough to retire comfortably. But he has been cashing them in slowly, investing in stock market funds instead.

“Bitcoin is wild and crazy investment that I’m diversifying out of all the time,” he says. “If bitcoin is wildly successful, I’m still holding on to a good chunk of bitcoin. It could be worth tens of millions of dollars, but it could be worth zero. It doesn’t make sense to hold more than that amount. I don’t have a desire to be a multi-billionaire. That’s not what motivates me, I have no desire to be filthy rich.”

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2015

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 07:38:00 AM

gets the word out about bitcoin, what hes saying is smart, everyone would want to be involved in the internet earlier Smiley
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 07:40:43 AM

His warning is legit, but he is scaring people off bitcoin. I think new users should start off with a small amount of coins to learn and not avoid it completely.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 09:11:36 AM

Couldn't read the full article (reading the article online requires registration and free registration can only let you read 3 articles per month; how lame is that?) but it is possible that he also talked about Bitcoin's strength and potential, but the newspaper chose to quote the other part.

We have seen such media attempts in past and this one is no different.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 09:17:57 AM

Couldn't read the full article (reading the article online requires registration and free registration can only let you read 3 articles per month; how lame is that?)
Search the title of the article on google, and click from it.
In this case "A bitcoin believer on its perils and its potential", you will be able to read it.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 09:18:34 AM

His warning is fair. I lost a bunch of bitcoins and I thought I was careful. Bitcoin needs major child-proofing. It needs banks that can assist with transactions without having any control of your private keys. 2015 is the year to make Bitcoin ironclad.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
pawel7777 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 09:24:47 AM

Couldn't read the full article (reading the article online requires registration and free registration can only let you read 3 articles per month; how lame is that?) but it is possible that he also talked about Bitcoin's strength and potential, but the newspaper chose to quote the other part.

We have seen such media attempts in past and this one is no different.

No probs, I'll copy/paste and update the first post shortly.

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 09:26:28 AM

Couldn't read the full article (reading the article online requires registration and free registration can only let you read 3 articles per month; how lame is that?)
Search the title of the article on google, and click from it.
In this case "A bitcoin believer on its perils and its potential", you will be able to read it.

Thank you, I was able to read it fully following your advice.

Few quotes from the article for ready reference:

Though Mr Andresen concedes bitcoin remains in the early days of its development, he is confident it will mature, noting that more than $300m of venture money had been invested in bitcoin start-ups in 2014.

Mr Andresen is also at the forefront of efforts to ready the virtual currency for wider use. As it is currently designed, the bitcoin network can process just seven transactions a second. By comparison, Visa is capable of handling close to 50,000 transaction a second at peak times.

While Mr Andresen tries to prepare bitcoin for mass usage, he advises caution to investors. He holds thousands of bitcoins, enough to retire comfortably. But he has been cashing them in slowly, investing in stock market funds instead.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 10:29:41 AM

Mircea Popescu wont be very happy with this news Wink

ABISprotocol

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

ABISprotocol on Gist

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 10:37:38 AM

(...)Bitcoin... needs banks that can assist with transactions...[/b].

I am really hoping you are being super sarcastic right there.

ABISprotocol (Github/Gist)
http://abis.io
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 10:41:27 AM

This is one lame article from FT. I expect more from them. The article has no substance, no point of view. Congrats to Gavin for having this photo on the front page  Cheesy

“Bitcoin is wild and crazy investment that I’m diversifying out of all the time,” he says. “If bitcoin is wildly successful, I’m still holding on to a good chunk of bitcoin. It could be worth tens of millions of dollars, but it could be worth zero. It doesn’t make sense to hold more than that amount. I don’t have a desire to be a multi-billionaire. That’s not what motivates me, I have no desire to be filthy rich.”

FT is sending out an incorrect signal. "Diversifying" does involve selling bitcoin and "cashing in", but I think it's an inappropriate choice of words  Undecided
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 10:48:09 AM

Forget the warning he made. This is the statement which will have most impact on the readership of the FT:

“in 20 years, would allow us to have enough capacity to handle every single electronic transaction in the world”.

inigthz

Activity: 507
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 10:59:57 AM

Nice explains.

I think, people who get started in Bitcoin not fully responsible with their money.

As far they know. Bitcoin reach thousand dollar. And that's why they invested without having enough knowledge.

How to secure, how to send if stuck, how and how.. whatever.

People should care about their knowledge first. Not their money when stolen.

Because, if you have proof of knowledge in basic bitcoin. You will minimalize the risk.  Cheesy

Cmiiw.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 11:04:46 AM

At least he's being open to tell the truth. If look at it positively, it's even worse if let's say for someone new to bitcoin who has completely zero knowledge about bitcoin security and ended up getting hacked and later comes up with a negative conclusion. It's like he already telling you to take security seriously before you even get started into bitcoin. So what is wrong with that?

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1406

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 11:11:19 AM

nice. gets the word out.  and the more you say 'don't...', the more they get curious.  Grin

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
pawel7777 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 11:19:48 AM

At least he's being open to tell the truth. If look at it positively, it's even worse if let's say for someone new to bitcoin who has completely zero knowledge about bitcoin security and ended up getting hacked and later comes up with a negative conclusion. It's like he already telling you to take security seriously before you even get started into bitcoin. So what is wrong with that?

Gavin's statement is pretty sensible and understandable. But FT seems to put it slightly out of context, many people will look at the front page and read something like: "Bitcoin CEO advises to avoid bitcoin" and that's not very good.

The ideal message should imo be "Give bitcoin a try, but don't put too much money in it".

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
smalltimer

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 11:38:29 AM

He probably had his upcoming hardfork in mind which could send the price to zero if it goes wrong, and it probably will.
Kprawn
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 11:42:51 AM

The 7 transactions per second, limits it's widespread adoption for now, until the new proposed changes are "approved" through concensus.

We cannot have a situation, where millions of people adopt the currency and you have to wait 10 minutes to approve a transaction. I think most people will agree. time is money.

Cautioning people against adopting the currency. when they are "newbies" are the safe route, but most of the hacks occur on the 2cnd and 3rd parties, not at the protocol level.  Wink

THE FIRST DECENTRALIZED & PLAYER-OWNED CASINO
.EARNBET..EARN BITCOIN: DIVIDENDS
FOR-LIFETIME & MUCH MORE.
. BET WITH: BTCETHEOSLTCBCHWAXXRPBNB
.JOIN US: GITLABTWITTERTELEGRAM
btcrich

Activity: 302

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 11:52:23 AM

Based on this, it seems that in order to perform 50,000 on-chain transactions per second, we would require the blocksize limit to be increased to about 7 GB from the current 1 MB limit.

Obviously that won't happen as payment processors can keep a large portion of their transactions off-chain and confirm transactions instantly.
xDan

Activity: 688
Merit: 500

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 03:25:29 PM

If you look closely, you can see the antennae with which he receives instruction from the CIA.

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: