Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:07:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire started by mining machines???  (Read 827 times)
EVilaghy (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 09:51:04 AM

My GF Keeps telling me that my machines are going to start a fire and burn down the house.  Has anyone heard of this?
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pekatete

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 01:58:40 PM

My GF Keeps telling me that my machines are going to start a fire and burn down the house.  Has anyone heard of this?
If you feel concerned, turn the freq down on your GF via the settings tab and regularly check on the temperature.

mindtrip
Legendary

Activity: 1167
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 02:53:47 PM

i haven't heard of an actual fire other than the famous incident in thailand but i have had first hand experience with a power supply blowing black death smoke in front of me before i quickly shut it down and threw the power supply in the trash and replaced it with a real quality one. So worry more about the quality of your power supply I always buy from a reliable brand with a good warranty
cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 06:14:47 AM

If you feel concerned, turn the freq down on your GF via the settings tab and regularly check on the temperature.

HAHA this is too funny.

Just check your temps, dont put them on things that will catch fire like carpet or cloth, use metal racks to hold them. dont put to many miners on one cord, this is both energy efficient and fire safe actually. If you want to be really safe dedicated a breaker in the box specifically for the miners. You can never go wrong that way Smiley

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 08:14:30 AM

It is possible.   Lets say you have a big draw and you split a low gauge wire into two PCI-e it could burn. 

Fires don't happen that often though.  Just by amount of miners sold and amount shown burnt you will see this.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 08:53:54 AM

My GF Keeps telling me that my machines are going to start a fire and burn down the house.  Has anyone heard of this?

She is right. Home fires are most often started by electrical fires. Miners draw a huge current and one substandard cable / extension / spliter / connector could bring the whole place down. Can't be too careful with fires, the stakes are too high.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: