Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 06:58:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who said the BTC price doesn't matter? BitPay announces layoffs  (Read 2641 times)
TruthBear (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 10:02:18 AM

http://www.btcfeed.net/news/layoffs/

This is huge news considering the size of BitPay. This is why businesses will continue to convert their BTC payments directly into USD (creating more selling pressure). As the price further declines, businesses that took the risk and rely on the price of BTC will continue to feel the bite.

Ouch!

pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1572

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 10:18:06 AM

What does it have to do with bitcoin price?

The article doesn't even mention that price could be a reason for lay offs.

This comes as shocking news as Bitpay becomes one of the first major Bitcoin companies to lay off employees. It is thought that the recent spate of spending may have led to a shortage of funds. The recent multi million dollar sponsorship deal that Bitpay signed with the St Petersburg Bowl is thought to be a long running commitment running till the end of next year. However the company has let slip that this was not the true reason behind the layoffs as they put it down to a simple surplus in labor and workers. The quote below displays the reasons behind the recent layoffs.

It is unknown if the layoffs reflect a systemic overspending problem at BitPay which could burn through the funds they have raised from venture capitalists, or if the layoffs were taken to address an excess of hiring beyond that necessary for their labor needs. Bitpay has historically been known for “celebrity hires” like their hiring of Bitcoin Foundation board member Elizabeth Ploshay as an account manager in the Summer of 2014.
Troonetpt

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 10:45:48 AM

sure, it matters.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 10:56:42 AM

it doesn't mean that both of them are connected. Layoff could be due to restructuring to improve organizational effectiveness or to cut down on redundancy to fine tune and align towards organizational goals. The point is, it could be due to many other reasons.

FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 11:12:41 AM

I think the amount of businesses accepting Bitcoin has been growing despite the downturn, my impression is that the amount of purchases made in Bitcoin has been increasing too. Given that BitPay just charges a percentage commission, I don't think their model has huge exposure to the price of Bitcoin itself and they should be doing OK.

However I speculate that more businesses accepting Bitcoin, more purchases being made in Bitcoin but the majority of businesses converting directly to fiat & creating selling pressure as you say,  is the primary driver of the crypto downturn.

I personally feel crypto is actually doing better than ever and once stable options for business gain traction like BitUSD the crypto downtrend will rapidly reverse.
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 11:14:33 AM

We don't really know the causes of these layoffs.

It may have been caused by bitcoin prices or it may be because of less work charge in this period.

We don't know if they were temporary workers or fixed workers
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 11:18:43 AM

That's a big 180 from what was said during the interview three days ago at CES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_62Rv7R1jcY
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 12:28:11 PM

One word:

Obamacare

suck it small businesses

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
tntdgcr

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

Bitcoin Mining Hosting

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 12:44:04 PM

I think the amount of businesses accepting Bitcoin has been growing despite the downturn, my impression is that the amount of purchases made in Bitcoin has been increasing too. Given that BitPay just charges a percentage commission, I don't think their model has huge exposure to the price of Bitcoin itself and they should be doing OK.

However I speculate that more businesses accepting Bitcoin, more purchases being made in Bitcoin but the majority of businesses converting directly to fiat & creating selling pressure as you say,  is the primary driver of the crypto downturn.

I personally feel crypto is actually doing better than ever and once stable options for business gain traction like BitUSD the crypto downtrend will rapidly reverse.

Depends, if the price going down , shuts down a % of the daily flow, and that flow is now worth 50% of what it was a year ago ... well you see where I'm going with this.

Labor and OPEX are flat costs that won't change with prices. People don't take home less just because the Exchange Rate is less, so something has to give at some point, or they need to sell more debt. Since they are raising funds and have done so, I can imagine they might just do more.

OregonMines is expanding. Are you expanding with us?
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 12:51:46 PM

Depends, if the price going down , shuts down a % of the daily flow, and that flow is now worth 50% of what it was a year ago ... well you see where I'm going with this.

Labor and OPEX are flat costs that won't change with prices. People don't take home less just because the Exchange Rate is less, so something has to give at some point, or they need to sell more debt. Since they are raising funds and have done so, I can imagine they might just do more.

Yes, you're right even an increase in the no. of Bitcoin transactions might not offset a rapidly declining price.  I guess their $ turnover is the key number.
Unkle

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 12:58:13 PM

What does it have to do with bitcoin price?

The article doesn't even mention that price could be a reason for lay offs.

This is what I was going to ask and wanted to know. I don't think it's down to the price and we have no idea how they are running their bussiness. Maybe they just need to make cuts or the number of staff they currently have is unneccesary.
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 01:15:17 PM

Bitcoin is a small industry. There are so many other payment systems much bigger than Bitcoin and without making so much buzz in media Smiley

Do not forget that the Bitcoin users are around of 1 MIL. This is a very very small amount compared to the funds invested:)

Why would need a company like Bitpay to hire a lot of people? This is just an infatuate attitude. All the so called exchangers want to be seen as "Corporations" Smiley

It's funny sometimes when you see that millions of USD (from ventures, of course) are spent on nothing....like big and useless offices in the heart of financial cities. it's just gilding for fools.

Remember, 1 MIL users... not 10... but 1 MIL including China.   Grin
kamudimana

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 01:15:27 PM

eyyy, its just liar in bitcoin world that says the price doesnt matter Cheesy
forget about my english, not my mother language
Neg

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 01:29:37 PM

Bitcoin based companies may come and go and rise and fall but that's natural as it's a dog eat dog world out there, but let's remember the underlying technology behind bitcoin is still going strong so these layoffs are unfortunate but will happen from time to time as the industries grows and businesses find their footing.
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 01:58:57 PM

The article looks like a paid press release from Ripple. Companies hire and fire employees all the time to meet market needs and expectations.
MarketNeutral

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 02:08:43 PM

This isn't necessarily about the bitcoin exchange rate. It could be about any number of factors. For example, paying for over-priced, pseudo-prestigious real estate in the most congested and expensive part of Atlanta? What were they thinking? Also, BFL was their cash cow for a while, and now BFL is....well...uhh.....we don't need to reopen old wounds.
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 02:14:03 PM

Running a startup, I would seek to overhire by some amount, give everyone a fair shake, then keep the people that "get it" and let the others move on to something that more suits their enthusiasms.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
MarketNeutral

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 02:19:12 PM

Running a startup, I would seek to overhire by some amount, give everyone a fair shake, then keep the people that "get it" and let the others move on to something that more suits their enthusiasms.
This is actually a very common strategy.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 02:21:43 PM

http://www.inc.com/adam-bluestein/obamacare-guide-2015-small-business.html
"After multiple delays, the Obamacare employer mandate will finally take effect on January 1, 2015."

Businesses that have 25 or fewer full-time equivalent employees, pay average annual wages below $50,000, and cover at least half of the premium cost for employee's health insurance can qualify for a tax credit of up to 50 percent of employer-paid premiums.

Blue Cross Blue Shield and other insurers have stopped allowing businesses to renew policies that aren't compliant with ObamaCare. In their place, they're offering plans with 14% to 45% rate increases

Kaiser Permanente already has sent cancellation letters to employers, explaining that their existing plans don't offer ObamaCare's richer benefits and therefore are no longer available

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 02:21:51 PM

Exactly. It is a wise business decision to layoff at least 10% of the lowest performing or valuable employees a year.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: