Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 07:42:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bitcoin is dangerous, avoid it" - Gavin Andresen  (Read 3525 times)
navigatrix

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 12:34:15 AM

Why don't you guys try to answer the "hard" question?

The question is not "Is bitcoin too difficult to use for the average joe and gramdma?".
The question is: "why would they want to use it in the first place"?

Cry

Hm. I'm a 60-ish year old grandma... (fairly tech-savvy, though  Kiss)
And yes I got duped a couple of times, which is why my garden shed is now wired for hardware mining.

I'm also a gemstone faceter, lapidarist and trader, and once I get my website and payment gateway up, you bet i will be accepting BTC. It's an international clientele and bitcoin seems to be the most seamless way to conduct business. That's why I "would want to use it in the first place."

The sooner bitcoin grows up the faster it will spread.

BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 12:54:45 AM

Quote from: Thread Title
"Bitcoin is dangerous, avoid it" - Gavin Andresen

The thread title is misleading. Those are not his words. He is quoted in the article as saying "Bitcoin is dangerous" but he did not say "avoid it."

His words:

It makes me more confident in the long term success of bitcoin when its detractors find it necessary to misrepresent reality (like misquoting Gavin).

Why do trolls skew the truth? Because they have to.

I just quoted what's written in the article, son.
That's what readers actually read.

You misquoted what's written in the article, pops. You confused what Gavin said with what the journalist said. The only question: did you make this error on purpose or were you just being intellectually sloppy?

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU
Arv1e

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 03:45:33 AM

If the news author's exact quote is correct, then Gavin did use the word "dangerous" to describe Bitcoin.  If Gavin didn't mean this, then he should learn to choose his words more carefully.

Jornalists like to create drama. I think Gavin was referring to bitcoin being "dangerous" for ordinary people who are not comfortable with computers. We know how easy it is for new users to loose coins to hackers and scams.

+1

Doesnt take a genius to work out what he meant. He is referring the hands on side of buying, selling and storing not the underlying technology or principles.

Unfrtunately it will make for bad PR
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: