Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:48:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GLBSE] Diablo Insurance - Butterfly Labs BitForce SC Insurance (7,829:30,903)  (Read 7503 times)
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 08:36:54 AM

Share value is fixed at 1/1000th of a BTC

This statement needs to be included in the prospectus.

(although nothing stops people from reselling their shares at a lesser value to others).

… except the fact that you can issue new shares at that price (I presume -- the prospectus as it stands is seriously under-defined).

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 09:07:55 AM

Share value is fixed at 1/1000th of a BTC

This statement needs to be included in the prospectus.

(although nothing stops people from reselling their shares at a lesser value to others).

… except the fact that you can issue new shares at that price (I presume -- the prospectus as it stands is seriously under-defined).

I think you missed something, its right there at the end: "Shares will be issued at a price of one thousandth (1/1000) of one BTC."

DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 09:23:51 AM

21,975 shares sold of DI.BFLSC.Fail
3,837 shares sold of DI.BFLSC.Success

DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 10:41:43 AM

22,510 shares sold of DI.BFLSC.Fail
3,837 shares sold of DI.BFLSC.Success

MoonShad0w384

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 03:03:29 AM

Tipped the scales a little Smiley
SysRun

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 03:53:04 AM

FYI, Inaba joins BFL as COO. Anyone wager this increases the chance that BFL will meet its target?

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
MoonShad0w384

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 08:22:55 AM

FYI, Inaba joins BFL as COO. Anyone wager this increases the chance that BFL will meet its target?

No way of knowing, really.
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 12:02:22 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2012, 05:01:17 PM by DiabloD3

24,680 shares sold of DI.BFLSC.Fail
6,390 shares sold of DI.BFLSC.Success

BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 12:07:04 PM

I bought stocks in fail, this is why lol

Butterfly Labs Inc office@butterflylabs.com

Aug 6 (3 days ago)

to me
Hi Daniel,

It is too early to know how long it will take. Several people are working on them, but we don't know how quickly they will be going out.

Kind regards,
Alicia\BF Labs Inc.

Then need DOZENS not several lol.

deeplink

Activity: 728

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 01:16:30 PM

Who is buying the success ones?  Huh
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 02:50:10 PM

Who is buying the success ones?  Huh

Either people who think BFL will succeed, or people who need to insure their non-BFL assets.

rph

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:20:28 AM

I really like the general idea, but, with a constant price and an enormous supply of shares on both sides -
I see no rational reason to buy this until shortly before "judgement day".

-rph

Ultra-Low-Cost DIY FPGA Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=44891
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2012, 04:42:39 PM

25,185 shares sold of DI.BFLSC.Fail
7,428 shares sold of DI.BFLSC.Success

DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 04:59:51 PM

Please note: nefario has locked my GLBSE account and most likely stolen the backing money of the insurance fund. Until this is resolved, do not buy any more shares of DI.BFLSC.

Deprived

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:19:20 PM

I really like the general idea, but, with a constant price and an enormous supply of shares on both sides -
I see no rational reason to buy this until shortly before "judgement day".

-rph

Yeah this is why this is horribly organised.  As it stands BFL coul announce they won't be able to ship until November (guaranteeing the .fail stock wins) and people could still continue buying more .fail stocks right up until all were sold - meaning no real profit for anyone who actually invested at the start.

I'd suggest if/when nefario unlocks the account, no further shares are sold - so at least those who have bought shares so far get a fair bet.

The correct way to do this would have been to issue a relatively small number of each share (identical for both) then sell them into bid-walls at a predefined date/time (with a minimum value of 0.001 or whatever per share).  All cash raised would then be dividended (less fee) to the winning share at end of october.

Shares in both sides of the bet could then be actively traded all the way up to settlement as new information emerged - with one zeroing and the other reaching a value equal to (total capital raised - fees)/total shares of both issues once information emerged settling it conclusively one way or the other.  That would have encouraged early speculation, ongoing speculation and also removed the possibility of shares being issued to self/friends by Diablo once the result was known.  It would also have added liquidity for speculators.

Nice idea - terrible execution.
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 05:44:42 PM

Yeah this is why this is horribly organized.  As it stands BFL coul announce they won't be able to ship until November (guaranteeing the .fail stock wins) and people could still continue buying more .fail stocks right up until all were sold - meaning no real profit for anyone who actually invested at the start.

Shares were to be stop being sold the second it becomes October 1st. If BFL were to announce they failed before then, sales would have been halted as well.

Because of nefario, if BFL were to announce their failure, I cannot halt sales.

First we had zhou tong, then we had pirate, now we have nefario. Does this shit ever end?

Deprived

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 06:53:11 PM

Yeah this is why this is horribly organized.  As it stands BFL coul announce they won't be able to ship until November (guaranteeing the .fail stock wins) and people could still continue buying more .fail stocks right up until all were sold - meaning no real profit for anyone who actually invested at the start.

Shares were to be stop being sold the second it becomes October 1st. If BFL were to announce they failed before then, sales would have been halted as well.

First we had zhou tong, then we had pirate, now we have nefario. Does this shit ever end?

Your OP doesn't allow you stop selling shares before october 1st - and your model doesn't allow people to react to new information becoming available.

Say BFL announced today "it's looking unlikely we'll be able to ship on time."   That's not enough to settle the bet - but definitely adds a lot of weight to one side of it.

Would you then want to lock shares?  If so then where do you draw the line? If not, then buying shares at any time before significant new information becoems available is a mug's game - with no benefit for early adopters (just an opportunity cost of tied up funds + the certainty they'll be gamed by others once more information becomes available).

Your model fails because it gives no benefit for early adoption - just massive penalties.  You should have used a model like the one I described previously - where initial prices for each side of the bet are determined on current knowledge then the market allows adjustment of position as new information is revealed.
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 07:14:47 PM

Your OP doesn't allow you stop selling shares before october 1st - and your model doesn't allow people to react to new information becoming available.

Say BFL announced today "it's looking unlikely we'll be able to ship on time."   That's not enough to settle the bet - but definitely adds a lot of weight to one side of it.

Would you then want to lock shares?  If so then where do you draw the line? If not, then buying shares at any time before significant new information becoems available is a mug's game - with no benefit for early adopters (just an opportunity cost of tied up funds + the certainty they'll be gamed by others once more information becomes available).

Your model fails because it gives no benefit for early adoption - just massive penalties.  You should have used a model like the one I described previously - where initial prices for each side of the bet are determined on current knowledge then the market allows adjustment of position as new information is revealed.

I would not pay out until October 31st, I would only halt share sales. The same goes for if BFL shipped today, share sales also halt.

DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 04:38:23 AM

My GLBSE account has finally been unlocked.

DI.BFLSC sales end October 1st, so if you're going to buy in, buy in now.

27,403 shares sold of DI.BFLSC.Fail
7,829 shares sold of DI.BFLSC.Success

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 05:15:20 AM

Please note: nefario has locked my GLBSE account and most likely stolen the backing money of the insurance fund. Until this is resolved, do not buy any more shares of DI.BFLSC.

Why was your account locked?

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: