Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:01:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I used to trust Patrick Harnett  (Read 32646 times)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 08:25:23 AM

For what it's worth, I believe Patrick wasn't an intentional scammer, just made some bad decisions in a bad situation ... but I don't really know.

That's kind of the problem though.  You need to be able to trust people to do the right thing under the worst case scenario.  Doing the right thing is easy when everything is going well and you're making money hand over fist.  Doing the right thing by others even when you've personally sustained major losses is a greater challenge for many people.

Yeah, well put.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 01:03:24 PM

For what it's worth, I believe Patrick wasn't an intentional scammer, just made some bad decisions in a bad situation ... but I don't really know.

That's kind of the problem though.  You need to be able to trust people to do the right thing under the worst case scenario.  Doing the right thing is easy when everything is going well and you're making money hand over fist.  Doing the right thing by others even when you've personally sustained major losses is a greater challenge for many people.

Exactly so. I need a ^ Repentance card.

We know of at least one person (slush) who did exactly this: the right thing by others even when he personally sustained major losses.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
BlackBison

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 01:15:38 PM

It should also be noted that Coblee paid back his ltc pirate pass through investors immediately after it hit the fan. He has taken the full loss himself even though he didn't owe it and through a storm of 'told you sos'. Now thats real integrity in the face of adversity. Top guy (and I'm not just saying that as I'm an LTC fanboy)  Grin

ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 01:25:21 PM

It should also be noted that Coblee paid back his ltc pirate pass through investors immediately after it hit the fan. He has taken the full loss himself even though he didn't owe it and through a storm of 'told you sos'. Now thats real integrity in the face of adversity. Top guy (and I'm not just saying that as I'm an LTC fanboy)  Grin

That's a bit too good IMO.
Some people try so hard to "do the right thing" even at their own expense that they end up hurting themselves and their loved ones.

If someone bought a passthrough from X, X is only responsible in case pirate does not default. Doing anything extra is charity ... fine if you can afford it, but certainly shouldn't be expected.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 11:03:34 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2012, 11:16:07 PM by JoelKatz

If someone bought a passthrough from X, X is only responsible in case pirate does not default. Doing anything extra is charity ... fine if you can afford it, but certainly shouldn't be expected.
I don't agree. If I help you hire a hit man to kill your boss, am I only responsible if the hit man fails to kill your boss?

People who operated pirate passthroughs paid Pirate to make their customers the recipients of fraudulent transfers. They are responsible to the victims even if Pirate did exactly what they paid him to do. (This requires that they knew or should have known that Pirate was making fraudulent transfers. I think it was totally obvious all along, but I'm willing to accept that this one time people might have thought it would somehow be different. But if this ever happens again, you can expect zero tolerance from me.)

There is no excuse for those who publicly stated that they knew or suspected that Pirate was operating a fraudulent Ponzi scheme yet nevertheless operated passthroughs --  knowingly and intentionally paying Pirate to commit fraud on their, and their customers', behalf and profiting from it, they are no better than Pirate.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
superfastkyle

Activity: 437

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 06:52:37 AM

So someone starts a passthrough, they are responsible just as much as pirate but those who invest in said passthrough are not? what sense does that make? at least be consistent

I don't agree. If I help you hire a hit man to kill your boss, am I only responsible if the hit man fails to kill your boss?

People who operated pirate passthroughs paid Pirate to make their customers the recipients of fraudulent transfers. They are responsible to the victims even if Pirate did exactly what they paid him to do. (This requires that they knew or should have known that Pirate was making fraudulent transfers. I think it was totally obvious all along, but I'm willing to accept that this one time people might have thought it would somehow be different. But if this ever happens again, you can expect zero tolerance from me.)

There is no excuse for those who publicly stated that they knew or suspected that Pirate was operating a fraudulent Ponzi scheme yet nevertheless operated passthroughs --  knowingly and intentionally paying Pirate to commit fraud on their, and their customers', behalf and profiting from it, they are no better than Pirate.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 07:02:25 AM

So someone starts a passthrough, they are responsible just as much as pirate but those who invest in said passthrough are not? what sense does that make? at least be consistent

Someone who starts a pass-through is risking other people's money, not their own - we generally hold people dealing with other people's money more accountable than people risking their own funds even if the "investment" involved is stupidly high risk.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 04:55:15 PM

I never said passthrough operators were "responsible just as much as pirate", nor did I ever say that "those who invest in said passthrough are not". (At least, I hope I didn't say either of those two things.)

Frankie

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 05:46:47 PM

Three words : the long con.

Mark my words.

Marked and credited (if, as seems likely, he liquidated his clients' money to bail out his own bad Pirate debt). I don't think he intended to scam people a year ago, and so maybe he's a tragic figure for actually believing Pirate, but the tag seems well-earned now. Too bad.

Wonder if we hear from "wife of starfish" again.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 10:03:38 PM

I propose a new tag for some members that is awarded to people who detect scammers ponzis and cons and intelligently argue the case long before the scam folds.  For people who receive mounds of abuse from said scammers and their shills but just keep selflessly plugging away.  Why?  I don't know.

Tag: "Bitcoin Defender"

First awardee:  JoelKatz

MPOE-PR

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 11:10:45 PM

I propose a new tag for some members that is awarded to people who detect scammers ponzis and cons and intelligently argue the case long before the scam folds.  For people who receive mounds of abuse from said scammers and their shills but just keep selflessly plugging away.  Why?  I don't know.

1. No.

2. JoelKatz is something best approximated as nil. There's other people who actually do what you claim your tag is for.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 01:01:05 AM

I propose a new tag for some members that is awarded to people who detect scammers ponzis and cons and intelligently argue the case long before the scam folds.  For people who receive mounds of abuse from said scammers and their shills but just keep selflessly plugging away.  Why?  I don't know.

First awardee:  JoelKatz

1. No.

2. JoelKatz is something best approximated as nil. There's other people who actually do what you claim your tag is for.
Coming from someone who funded a Ponzi scheme and takes no responsibility whatsoever for the harm they did while placing all the blame 100% on others who did precisely the same thing, I'll take this as a compliment. For the record, I don't think you had actual knowledge that this is what you were doing, but you should have known.

While I've got your attention, I have a few questions for you:

1) When you loaned money to Patrick, did you know Pirate was operating a Ponzi scheme?

2) If not, should you have?

3) When you loaned money to Patrick, did you know a significant fraction of it would wind up invested in Pirate?

4) If not, should you have?

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 04:26:10 PM

1. No.

I don't know what your issue is with JK, but it is clear you have one.  Try and rise above whatever spat I'm sure I'll find if I bothered to search the forums.

For the rest of you, reread this thread; it is clear he called Harnett out and did so in a reasoned responsible manner.  There are other people who called Pirate out and deserve the "Bitcoin Defender" tag: Vanderoy for instance.

Disclosure: I have made no investments, deals, PMs etc, with Harnett or JoelKatz and know them only through what I read in these forums.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 05:24:15 PM

I don't know what your issue is with JK, but it is clear you have one.  Try and rise above whatever spat I'm sure I'll find if I bothered to search the forums.

Or if you had bothered to even read the thread on which you're dumping your "thoughts", such as they are.

Or the thread where I pointed out Pirate is a scam at a time nobody else was doing it.

Or in general if you had a clue about fucking anything. As for instance the fact that had I not called the scammer out with proof JoelKatz would be yammering about nothing in particular to no effect whatsoever to this day.

You don't waltz in trying to pass Katz as valuable on the grounds that he has been sprouting idiocy starting September, when Pirate blew in August and I called it in April. You don't waltz in here trying to pass nobody as important when other people's money and other people's skill was involved in delivering the results. Gtfo.

JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 06:01:42 PM

I don't know what your issue is with JK, but it is clear you have one.  Try and rise above whatever spat I'm sure I'll find if I bothered to search the forums.

Or if you had bothered to even read the thread on which you're dumping your "thoughts", such as they are.

Or the thread where I pointed out Pirate is a scam at a time nobody else was doing it.

Or in general if you had a clue about fucking anything. As for instance the fact that had I not called the scammer out with proof JoelKatz would be yammering about nothing in particular to no effect whatsoever to this day.

You don't waltz in trying to pass Katz as valuable on the grounds that he has been sprouting idiocy starting September, when Pirate blew in August and I called it in April. You don't waltz in here trying to pass nobody as important when other people's money and other people's skill was involved in delivering the results. Gtfo.

Thank you for answering questions 1 and 2. Now, how about questions 3 and 4? Here they are again:

3) When you invested with Patrick, did you know that a significant fraction of your money would wind up invested with Pirate, which you knew was a Ponzi scheme?

4) If not, should you have?

And I'll add one more:

5) Do you believe this is due to something specific Patrick did wrong that you had no way of knowing? That is, do you think he just failed to screen people thoroughly or didn't ask the right questions? Or do you think Patrick's business model, which you agreed protected from significant Pirate exposure, was fundamentally broken?

I'm just asking you to take some responsibility for the bad decision you made and the harm it did to others. (Or would have done to them, had they been honest. As it happens, the victims of your bad judgment just turned around and reneged on their obligations.)

Frankie

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 11:08:35 PM

I second this. What set JoelKatz apart (especially when the scams became obvious) is how articulate and measured he was, even as folks started shrieking at him. People who can't keep their cool might be right in the end, but they're not very helpful.

Light/heat ratio of JoelKatz is excellent.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:15:08 AM

Not only are Joel Katz's opinions are well articulated, they are also subject to change. To me, that is the defining trait of a wise and learned man.

No homo...
MPOE-PR

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 10:38:34 PM

Not only are Joel Katz's opinions are well articulated, they are also subject to change. To me, that is the defining trait of a wise and learned man.

No homo...

I lolled.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  

Jump to: